PDA

View Full Version : New iPod/Phone Does It All

milkmania
01-09-2007, 01:11 PM
SAN FRANCISCO -- Apple announced a mobile phone Tuesday that fulfills several types of rumors: it's a widescreen, touchscreen iPod and a smartphone that runs the company's OS X operating system.

http://www.4029tv.com/news/10703050/detail.html

Sodar
01-09-2007, 01:16 PM
SON OF A B!TCH!!! Figures as soon as I go out and buy a new iPod, they would come out with something better! DAMN IT... I should have just stuck to my 20 gig!!!

milkmania
01-09-2007, 01:40 PM
SON OF A B!TCH!!! Figures as soon as I go out and buy a new iPod, they would come out with something better! DAMN IT... I should have just stuck to my 20 gig!!!
here, sit down and tell us how you really feel...

:purplaugh

it's one of those marketing scams where they don't tell you what's coming out.....so you can buy their old stuff for Christmas....

think about it:twocents:

Sodar
01-09-2007, 01:44 PM
here, sit down and tell us how you really feel...

:purplaugh
K, I just sat down and took a few breathes... things are looking up! I just saw the release date and think I am going to be just fine. I also do not want to have my cell phone hooked to my stereo in the boat or car, so it looks like there will be room for both in my life!

At first I was kind of feeling like when you start dating the cute chick, only to find out 2 weeks later that the HOT chick was into you!!:rolleyes: Yes, I know it was deep!! LOL LOL

OhioProstar
01-09-2007, 01:53 PM
I think this is more of a challenge to the MotoQ and Blackjack...not really an upgrade for the iPod. Wait a quarter and the next Gen will be introduced.

bigmac
01-09-2007, 02:20 PM
I think the thing has to potential to be huge, but what we don't know is what kind of phone it's going to be. CDMA? GSM? Will it only work with one carrier? All carriers?

Inventing the iPhone is only one component. Now it has to be marketed, and the very messy wireless communiciation system in the US will play a huge role in how that's done, ultimately how successful it is.

Everybody needs an iPod, but if the phone is going to be exclusive to Verizon or Cingular etc - forget it.

mitch
01-09-2007, 02:39 PM
This 1st product will only work w/ Cingular. Only a matter of time, your phone will be your music repository, high end point and shoot camera, email, and phone.

I think the thing has to potential to be huge, but what we don't know is what kind of phone it's going to be. CDMA? GSM? Will it only work with one carrier? All carriers?

Inventing the iPhone is only one component. Now it has to be marketed, and the very messy wireless communiciation system in the US will play a huge role in how that's done, ultimately how successful it is.

Everybody needs an iPod, but if the phone is going to be exclusive to Verizon or Cingular etc - forget it.

ski_king
01-09-2007, 02:40 PM
The one article I read stated Cingular only.

herringtech
01-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I just found my new phone. Awesome..

etakk7
01-09-2007, 06:56 PM
No buyer's remorse for me having just bought a 60 gig 5th gen IPOD video. This sucker only has 4 or 8 GB of memory. That is just like a Nano, which I specifically did not want. A 60 gig IPOD and a Blackberry phone is enough for me, even if they collectively weigh me down a bit!!

SKI*MC
01-09-2007, 07:56 PM
i noticed the capacity too, i wouldn't even think of buying it unless it was 30!

Ryan
01-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Is $499 Apple's default price for everything they launch these last six years???? I am really intrigued by the cool features and functions, but the thing is the size and thickness of a graham craker. I'd fear it would snap in half just as easily if left in my pocket as I settled into an airplane seat. And while thin, it's a little too big. I hope they follow the iPod logic and come out with a smaller one that is less geared toward video - imagine a nano with a full screen and 10-20gb in a year or two then I'll pull out the checkbook.

bigmac
01-10-2007, 12:19 PM
I clearly remember the public brouhaha when the iPod was introduced. Everything I read was along the lines of "I wouldn't buy it because.....":D :D

I'll tell ya, Apple is going to sell a TON of these things, especially over the next couple of generations. Make no mistake, this will be the new standard for personal information and communication.

What an amazing company. They have set the standards for almost every advance in personal computer design since 1984. The iPhone will succeed amazingly based on it functionality of phone/PDA/internet/email/iPod/camera, and especially because User Interface is what Apple Computer is all about, and I don't think anybody gets like they have over and over and over again.

ski_king
01-10-2007, 12:56 PM
[QUOTE=Ryan]........ but the thing is the size and thickness of a graham craker. I'd fear it would snap in half just as easily if left in my pocket as I settled into an airplane seat. ........QUOTE]
0.46 in, is about the thickness of 3 graham crackers. That should be thick enough. Most flip phone are much thinner when opened.

It has nice features, has me thinking of switching to Cingular when my plan is up.
I wonder if the phone will be discounted when you sign up fpr a 2 year contract?

Leroy
01-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Apple and Google, the new tech leaders.

Microsoft and Intel out......

bbeach
01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
BTW its a quad band GSM....

jeverett
01-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Apple and Google, the new tech leaders.

Microsoft and Intel out......

I just baught the new ZUNE from Microsoft. I compared it to my friends 30gig ipod and there is no comparison in sound quality and features. 3.5" screen, wireless, and FM radio, for the same price. When they come out with their 60 and 80 gig fersions look out ipod, did I mention it plays the widest varitey of files mp3, mp4, mwv, mov...etc. I asked the local guy at best buy and they are out selling ipod since Nov. 14th 5:1.

WakeSeeky
01-10-2007, 04:48 PM
I wonder if the phone will be discounted when you sign up fpr a 2 year contract?

Based on my experience with Cingular, new customers get a bigger discount than renewing customers, at least here. Of course I don't know about the IPhone, but for the Slvr, it was around $50-75 more per phone for a renewing customer. I held out until my old phone fell victim to an exuberant pool basketball game that escaped it's boundaries. :rolleyes:

I think plans and deals vary quite a bit depending on where you are. Cell service and carriers here are not all that great and Cingular (here) is one of the better carriers, even without a bigger discount on the phone. I would guess this IPhone is going to be the new Crackberry, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if there's not much of a discount when they release it.

milkmania
01-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Based on my experience with Cingular, new customers get a bigger discount than renewing customers, at least here. Of course I don't know about the IPhone, but for the Slvr, it was around $50-75 more per phone for a renewing customer. I held out until my old phone fell victim to an exuberant pool basketball game that escaped it's boundaries. :rolleyes:

I think plans and deals vary quite a bit depending on where you are. Cell service and carriers here are not all that great and Cingular (here) is one of the better carriers, even without a bigger discount on the phone. I would guess this IPhone is going to be the new Crackberry, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if there's not much of a discount when they release it.
been with Cingular since their inception:twocents:
transferred over from Southwestern Bell, I think it was...
long time ago

WakeSeeky
01-10-2007, 05:02 PM
been with Cingular since their inception:twocents:
transferred over from Southwestern Bell, I think it was...
long time ago

I got transferred with the AT&T cell service, I think it was. Honestly, Cingular's service is pretty good, but it chapped my hide when I found out I couldn't get a new subscriber discount on a phone when I renewed my contract, since I'd always gotten that before.

bigmac
01-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Experience would tend to suggest Microsoft might succeed with the Zune against iPod. But if it does, it's unlikley to be due to features, quality, or user interface.

Leroy
01-10-2007, 07:29 PM
I haven't looked at the zune, but the killer feature Apple has is the content and the absolute ease of use.

How is the content from Microsoft?

I just baught the new ZUNE from Microsoft. I compared it to my friends 30gig ipod and there is no comparison in sound quality and features. 3.5" screen, wireless, and FM radio, for the same price. When they come out with their 60 and 80 gig fersions look out ipod, did I mention it plays the widest varitey of files mp3, mp4, mwv, mov...etc. I asked the local guy at best buy and they are out selling ipod since Nov. 14th 5:1.