PDA

View Full Version : Stomach and Intestinal Virus

TMCNo1
01-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Watch out for the 24 hour Stomach and Intestinal Virus. It is a real bummer, got it Sunday evening and I am now just starting to return to normal after 48 hours. I have washed 4 loads of clothes, towels, etc and now Lynn has it! I don't even remember yesterday. If anyone you know has it or has recently had it STAY AWAY from them!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2007, 12:24 PM
I know two people that had it yesterday.......:o

betsy&david Harrison
01-09-2007, 12:33 PM
It is going around here in Cali too:(

Sodar
01-09-2007, 12:35 PM
It is going around here in Cali too:(
Had it Oct. 30th-Nov. 1st... sickest I have been in a VERY long time!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Probably come out with a mandatory "shot" in no time.....:rolleyes:

milkmania
01-09-2007, 01:07 PM
http://www.bhammonster.com/sh!tstorm.gif

chudson
01-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Heard them talkin on the radio about it this morning up in Chicago, pretty big up there right now so they say!!!

TMCNo1
01-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Probably come out with a mandatory "shot" in no time.....:rolleyes:

I would hope so, it's the second time I've had it, once before Xmas and then now. The first time it wasn't that bad, but this time it's taken it's toll. It leaves you so weak and dehydrated but drinking fluids is for naught, cause it goes straight thru you!

east tx skier
01-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Had it Oct. 30th-Nov. 1st... sickest I have been in a VERY long time!

Had it in late July. Awful.

Don't even think of posting pics, Harold! ;)

TMCNo1
01-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Had it in late July. Awful.

Don't even think of posting pics, Harold! ;)
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme Don't worry, I won't!

But you know the old saying,

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Harold, explain to me how you "watch out" for a stomach virus? :confused: :confused: You gotsta splain that one to me! I have never seen one coming before it got me. What do you do, use a black light to spot them germs or what?;)

TMCNo1
01-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Harold, explain to me how you "watch out" for a stomach virus? :confused: :confused: You gotsta splain that one to me! I have never seen one coming before it got me. What do you do, use a black light to spot them germs or what?;)
:uglyhamme Yoopersplaination: If you know someone who has it, has had it recently or if you visit the hospital or Dr's Office, BEWARE! It is spreading like wildfire! You will probably get it just communicating with me here on TT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just ate the first thing in 48 hours and it was Graham Crackers, umm yummy!

01-09-2007, 02:00 PM
:uglyhamme Yoopersplaination: If you know someone who has it, has had it recently or if you visit the hospital or Dr's Office, BEWARE! It is spreading like wildfire! You will probably get it just communicating with me here on TT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just ate the first thing in 48 hours and it was Graham Crackers, umm yummy!
Good thing I just updated my McAfee antivirus!:cool:

Leroy
01-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I believe it is being caused by peacocks and being around anyone with a peacock! :)

01-09-2007, 02:12 PM
I believe it is being caused by peacocks and being around anyone with a peacock! :)
Better listen to him flounder, he is Pre-med!

milkmania
01-09-2007, 02:33 PM

School BasketBall Gyms are a huge breeding ground for viruses:twocents:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2007, 02:57 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2007-01-08-stomach-bug_x.htm

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Watch out for the 24 hour Stomach and Intestinal Virus. It is a real bummer, got it Sunday evening and I am now just starting to return to normal after 48 hours. I have washed 4 loads of clothes, towels, etc and now Lynn has it! I don't even remember yesterday. If anyone you know has it or has recently had it STAY AWAY from them!

Once it's in the house, experts say, it's tough to wipe out. It can linger for days on surfaces such as children's toys, keyboards, telephones and doorknobs, and both vomit and stool are highly infectious. It is present in the stool up to three weeks after the patient recovers, so health officials stress the importance of hand-washing, especially after using the bathroom and before preparing food.

:o.......................

Monte
01-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Gawd please say you get rid of such before three weeks is up and I'd hope hand washing after a visit to the bathroom is a ritual not limited to times of sickness!!
Had it the Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving... NOT FUN!!

Jesus_Freak
01-09-2007, 03:21 PM
...I'd hope hand washing after a visit to the bathroom is a ritual not limited to times of sickness!!

While it may sound cheesy and overly cautious, dont grab the faucet handles and doorknobs without a paper towel afterwards; Otherwise, you just wasted every ounce of hand-washing effort. Yes, I am a parent.:D

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Gawd please say you get rid of such before three weeks is up and I'd hope hand washing after a visit to the bathroom is a ritual not limited to times of sickness!!
Had it the Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving... NOT FUN!!
We recently had a thread about washing hands. I didn't get it, seems anti-bacterial soap is useless as I gather. And NON-AB is hard to find here. So what to do..Wear surgical gloves...:confused:

east tx skier
01-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Regular dial soap or some LAVA!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Regular dial soap or some LAVA!
Regular.....You mean to tell me I don't need "EXTREME" , "SUPER" , "EXTRA DUTY" , or "SUPREME"...:rolleyes:

sanjuan23
01-09-2007, 05:05 PM
No you have to get that special anti-bacterial soap:rolleyes:

01-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Regular.....You mean to tell me I don't need "EXTREME" , "SUPER" , "EXTRA DUTY" , or "SUPREME"...:rolleyes:
yea, imagine that!

TMCNo1
01-09-2007, 05:44 PM
School BasketBall Gyms are a huge breeding ground for viruses:twocents:

And under the bleachers in Gyms is a big breeding ground for students!:D

01-09-2007, 06:05 PM
imagine THAT!!!

milkmania
01-09-2007, 06:09 PM
We recently had a thread about washing hands. I didn't get it, seems anti-bacterial soap is useless as I gather. And NON-AB is hard to find here. So what to do..Wear surgical gloves...:confused:

it plays hell with septic tanks though:rolleyes:

milkmania
01-09-2007, 06:12 PM

hey, you've played "show me yours and I'll show you mine"............

haven't youhttp://oklahomaforums.com/Smileys/default/23.gif

TMCNo1
01-09-2007, 06:12 PM

Wear surgical gloves to Wal-Mart to protect yourself and ALL the cashiers run to the back of the store and hide!

Leroy
01-09-2007, 06:45 PM
I think all the tests show washing hands improves things greatly. As does not touching your eyes, mouth, other peoples food, etc.

On soaps:
Is antibacterial soap the best cleansing agent? The scientific studies comparing antibacterial soap to regular soap give apparently contradictory results. Some studies show it is better, others that it is worse, and others seem to show no difference. Taken together, these studies indicate that antibacterial soaps are more effective at reducing infections by some organisms (especially staph and strep); they are worse at preventing some types of infections (especially by some of the organisms called gram negative bacteria, since the antibacterial soaps kill much of the beneficial bacteria that normally live on our skin and protect us from some of these gram negative organisms); and they make no difference for some types of infections (such as cytomegalovirus [CMV], or Clostridia -- the bacteria that cause gangrene).

TMCNo1
01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
I think all the tests show washing hands improves things greatly. As does not touching your eyes, mouth, other peoples food, etc.

On soaps:
Is antibacterial soap the best cleansing agent? The scientific studies comparing antibacterial soap to regular soap give apparently contradictory results. Some studies show it is better, others that it is worse, and others seem to show no difference. Taken together, these studies indicate that antibacterial soaps are more effective at reducing infections by some organisms (especially staph and strep); they are worse at preventing some types of infections (especially by some of the organisms called gram negative bacteria, since the antibacterial soaps kill much of the beneficial bacteria that normally live on our skin and protect us from some of these gram negative organisms); and they make no difference for some types of infections (such as cytomegalovirus [CMV], or Clostridia -- the bacteria that cause gangrene).

That was a mouthful. Now we have soaps out of the way, tell HB about shampoos!

Monte
01-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Wear surgical gloves to Wal-Mart to protect yourself and ALL the cashiers run to the back of the store and hide!

Shouldn't that be in the notes to self thread???:D ;) :cool:

bigmac
01-09-2007, 10:22 PM
That's what I do...

bigmac
01-09-2007, 10:32 PM

On soaps:

Washing hands is a good idea, but bear in mind that the flu bug is a virus, and won't be killed by an anti-bacterial soap. From the standpoint of communicable diseases, which are mostly viruses, everybody should wash their hands a lot and not worry about what kind of soap. The idea is to wash the little buggers off your hands, not kill them.

Surgical personnel scrub their hands for 3 minutes with an antiseptic (antibacterial) soap or other solution before every operation to decrease bacterial counts so that they don't cause a bacterial infection in the patient they're operating on. In that situation, they're not trying to avoid contributing to a viral epidemic -- a bacterial infection in a surgical patient can be deadly.

Leroy
01-09-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm a very lucky necrotizing fasciitissurvivor, one of the worst bacterias.

Surprising number of studies about how the more kids wash their hand the less sick they are.

Washing hands is a good idea, but bear in mind that the flu bug is a virus, and won't be killed by an anti-bacterial soap. From the standpoint of communicable diseases, which are mostly viruses, everybody should wash their hands a lot and not worry about what kind of soap. The idea is to wash the little buggers off your hands, not kill them.

Surgical personnel scrub their hands for 3 minutes with an antiseptic (antibacterial) soap or other solution before every operation to decrease bacterial counts so that they don't cause a bacterial infection in the patient they're operating on. In that situation, they're not trying to avoid contributing to a viral epidemic -- a bacterial infection in a surgical patient can be deadly.

Jesus_Freak
01-10-2007, 02:13 AM
Washing hands is a good idea, but bear in mind that the flu bug is a virus, and won't be killed by an anti-bacterial soap. From the standpoint of communicable diseases, which are mostly viruses, everybody should wash their hands a lot and not worry about what kind of soap. The idea is to wash the little buggers off your hands, not kill them....

I guess I have to trust you since you da doc. Great points. Thanks.

bigmac
01-10-2007, 02:21 AM
I'm a very lucky necrotizing fasciitissurvivor, one of the worst bacterias.

Surprising number of studies about how the more kids wash their hand the less sick they are.

Yikes! That's some nasty $h!t. I've only seen it once -- hope never to see it again.

Like I said. Handwashing is a good idea - I highly recommend it. I just wouldn't lose any sleep over whether or not your kids do it with anti-bacterial soap.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-10-2007, 09:02 AM
My wife just went and bought about a dozen "softsoap" dispensers yesterday. And they were NOT Anti-bacterial. Just soap;) ..
As a side note- Made in USA:D
I guess I'll put the gallon of anti-bacterial soap on the shelf until next year when I hear that's better....:rolleyes:

01-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Just think about ALL that bacteria thats going to be runnin around your house now that she bought the wrong soap!;) 8p

Workin' 4 Toys
01-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Just think about ALL that bacteria thats going to be runnin around your house now that she bought the wrong soap!;) 8p
I poured the first bottle in the toilet and another in the garbage can. I hear those areas are full of bacteria.....Money well spent knowing I have completely clean bacteria in them now....

01-10-2007, 09:53 AM
I poured the first bottle in the toilet and another in the garbage can. I hear those areas are full of bacteria.....Money well spent knowing I have completely clean bacteria in them now....
Ahh! your right! there is nothing like clean bacteria! Trust me, I know! Having clean bacteria just gives you that mountain stream fresh feeling. like a spring meadow, or a tropical breeze. fresh and clean! And whom ever told you those two areas are full of bacteria steered you correctly. you have good sources for information Toys, dont lose them!

Jesus_Freak
01-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Ahh! your right! there is nothing like clean bacteria! Trust me, I know! Having clean bacteria just gives you that mountain stream fresh feeling.

Is this the kind of mountain stream in which your friend is standing about 10 feet upstream of you making sounds that resemble sighs of relief?

01-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Is this the kind of mountain stream in which your friend is standing about 10 feet upstream of you making sounds that resemble sighs of relief?
no, its the kind you see in beer commercials, usually with a snowy capped mountain in the background, birds chirping, babblign brook sounds. the kind of stream where bears are grabbing salmon out of it, fisherman are landing a nice trout on a fly rod, ya know that kind of stream. the same kind that they pump raw sewage into, and some company is pumping industrial waste into and some dump truck is dumping garbage into. that kind of fresh.