PDA

View Full Version : Woodburning teak swim platform

Chief
01-08-2007, 07:58 PM
I want to get something cool burned into my platform. Has anyone heard of a specific company that may be able to do some fancy burning on a platform that big?

I'm thinking of a Tribal writing of:

SDAhockey21
01-08-2007, 08:05 PM
No idea but that would be kinda cool!

Leroy
01-08-2007, 08:20 PM
You always see those guys witht the wood burning machine around the arts and crafts shows. What could go wrong? :eek: I would just worry about it holding water in the letter and evaporate, over and over.

Danimal
01-08-2007, 10:43 PM
My wife could do it by hand. She has done quite a few wood burnings on large scale. Her brother hand made cabinets for his house and and she hand burned wildlife pictures on them. I'll look if she has any photos handy.

mash
01-08-2007, 11:09 PM
There's a lot of natural oil in teak, would it cause a problem?

loeweb
01-17-2007, 01:25 PM
the oils shouldn't cause too many problems. Totum poles are teak aren't they. I too would worry about the water in the burn marks over and over.

JimN
01-17-2007, 01:49 PM
jcrosby150- go to a trophy store and find out who they have laser burn their plaques and trophies. They can do whatever design you want, incredibly accurately with 3D details that are hard to match. They can also do it with a minimum of darkly burned areas too, if you prefer.

M-Funf
01-17-2007, 01:55 PM
jcrosby150- go to a trophy store and find out who they have laser burn their plaques and trophies. They can do whatever design you want, incredibly accurately with 3D details that are hard to match. They can also do it with a minimum of darkly burned areas too, if you prefer.

+1.

Laser engraving is the way to go unless you want deep relief. The burned area will be very uniform, and they can use your font...Oh, and it will be uber-quick!

JohnnyB
01-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Very cool idea....if you get it done, post pics and let us know how it does once its been wet a bunch of times....

I've got a good friend that does wood burnings and is an awesome artist.

Chief
01-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the tips. I will try and make some phone calls tomorrow.

TMCNo1
01-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Another method is sandblasting. Some sign shops carry a special vinyl mask medium (sandblast resistant) that allows them to generate a reverse decal, place it on the wood, sandblast with a very small special blasting material and it eats away the wood that is exposed in the decal. They can do all sorts of relief and shading then stain to give the proper contrast and colors.

CarlosCabanas
02-01-2007, 11:52 AM
If you were to do a carving or even burning that stood pround then you wouldn't have the problem of water getting stuck in there. Just have to make it round enough that it would be soft on the feet.

Carlos