PDA

View Full Version : Ces

tex
01-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Anybody headed to CES this week?

Leroy
01-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Not with my new job, but I will be at the Emerging Technologies conference Jan 23 week.

What is your business there?

JimN
01-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Never been to Winter CES but I used to go to the Summer one in Chicago for work. Not too practical to fly out to Vegas and pay the jacked up hotel prices when I could drive to Chicago from MKE.

A lot of what the industry sees isn't shown to the general public, anyway and I get all kinds of trade mags so I'll get a CES Special edition. Plus, there are websites for the industry that cover most of the new stuff.

Leroy
01-08-2007, 07:12 AM
What are the new things this year?

Seems like it has just been more and better stuff that already exist last few years.

JimN
01-08-2007, 10:01 AM
I guess I should have said "new versions" of things. Home integration and control are costing less and becoming more popular, HD DVD/Blu-Ray aren't technically new but they're now available and will be at everyone's booth, Z-Wave is becoming more widely used to control things and there are more media controllers now. Some of the installation parts suppliers are selling more ways to interconnect equipment and that will make it easier to have HD TV and audio in more areas without having to run big bundles of cable (this may not be new to CES but the suppliers are advertising them now).

WakeSeeky
01-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I may be there later in the week, if I can find a pass. You going, Tex?

JimN
01-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Sharp just came out with a 108" LCD. That should be interesting.

Nice to see that the AP takes this kind of thing seriously.

Their headline in the news:

"Smoother, bigger LCDs out at gadget show"

Gadget show? Never thought of a >$100B industry as being about gadgets.

tex
01-08-2007, 10:54 PM
I may be there later in the week, if I can find a pass. You going, Tex?
No, I had to make a choice...CES or the Super Bowl. I picked the Super Bowl...Sorry Gene.

WakeSeeky
01-09-2007, 10:41 AM
No, I had to make a choice...CES or the Super Bowl. I picked the Super Bowl...Sorry Gene.

Good choice, IMO. :D I live here and I haven't been in a couple years, so me & some of the other nerdlings from work will probably wander over tomorrow and take a look at the big TV anyway. Beats working. :rolleyes: