PDA

View Full Version : need suggestions: beginers slalom ski

rstitson
01-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Am looking for a beginners slalom ski, especially to help on deep water starts. Ski needs to be used for myself and son. My son is 6 ft 2 185 - 190 . I am 6 ft and 185 - 190. I am a 10 1/2 and he is 11 1/2 We both have only skied on combos. My son does wakeboarding (beginner), but likes to switch it around. Attempts at deep water starts for him have been unsuccesful with the combo slalom, but it is not a wide shaped and we were somewhat under powered. Will be pulling with an x-15 this summer and want a ski that we both can use and fall out of easily. Mount recommendations would be appreciated also. It seems like HO, connelly, obrien all have several skis that might fit the bill; but i dont have a clue. By the way how to you use apostrophes in these threads? I keep being thrown to the find bar?

88 PS190
01-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Wileys boots are great, and you'll prolly both fit the same boot size.

As far as wide skis, I cannot guess, I've never tried a wide ski.

tex
01-07-2007, 12:58 AM
Get a shaped ski!
http://www.connellyskis.com/index.php?mod=skis&id_prd=127&id_hed=5

rstitson
01-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Just goosing this. Thanks for the suggestions looking for more. The connelly shape ski outlaw is in the performance category. Is there an advantage to stepping up to that over the pilot? Or a disadvantage? I don't imagine the cost diff is reasonable. There was another thread the spoke about using a full back boot over a strap/rtp ? As limiting injuries is a concern are we better with the rtp? And is deep water starts easier in one or the other? Thanks

ski_king
01-07-2007, 09:44 AM
I would suggest the Obrien Syncro, 69 in.

While it is not a shaped ski, it is a wide body ski that is easier to get up on than most other skis. As your skill improves, it can do most anything you want.

I would suggest rear toe plate as it will be easier to manage when learning.

Leroy
01-07-2007, 09:45 AM
HO freeride series or even an old EP widetrack if you can find on ebay (I have $35) depending on how much you want to spend.

To reduce injuries the rear boot is better. I get up with rear foot out so I use RTP. I keep trying to learn to get up with rear foot in, but much harder I think.

WTRSK1R
01-07-2007, 10:04 AM
I may be old school, but I think the Obrien World Team is one of the Best begineer to Intermediate skis available. You can find them as prior year models at Overtons and Ski Limited, and you can probably find them even cheaper on ebay. Both you and your son should fit in the same size binding, and if you go with a Rear Toe Plate, you can use the ski with your combo set and drop until you are adjusted to skiing on it. After you are comfortable, it will be easier to do a deep water start. Personally, I think it is MUCH easier to start with the back foot in, and concentrate on pushing down with the back foot as you are coming up. It tends to keep the ski straight while the boat is beginning to pull you up, and keeps you from getting pulled forward. Another thing to consider is a Deep V starter rope. I have gotten a lot of new skiers up deep water using a Deep V rope since it too tends to keep the ski straight as the skier is starting to come up.

Good Luck.

Steve

ski_king
01-07-2007, 10:28 AM
..............I think the Obrien World Team is one of the Best begineer to Intermediate skis available. You can find them as prior year models at Overtons and Ski Limited, and you can probably find them even cheaper on ebay. .............
I agree with you and have owned a World Team Comp for 30 years, but the Syncro I bought my girls is even better. Easier to get up on (at least for my girls) and I like the way it skis almost as much as my Mapple (maybe better).

I got mine on ebay for a grreat price.

ski_king
01-07-2007, 10:28 AM
double post again...... what am I doing wrong to get all these double posts?

Leroy
01-07-2007, 10:46 AM
The synchro is a great ski also and on sale at overtons for $219.

rstitson
01-07-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the input:
So obrien syncro or connelly outlaw or (Ho rival) ? Start off with a rtp and move to rear boot if so inclined? How about the level of front boot we need. When getting a wake board I started wanting high end boots as my experience with snow skiing was tighter is better/ and safer. But after investigating it seemed as if being able to pull out of the boots is the safest and a lower end binding for beginners was best. What is the general consensus. It seems as if the syncro is a easy choice as price is good and many recommendations; but am tempted to go the outlaw as it seems to have more of a shape, not just wider in the front. More suggestions/info would be welcome.

mess33
01-07-2007, 11:43 PM
I bought my son a Connelly Pilot based on recommendations from the group here. My son loves it. My son was 12 at the time. I believe Connelly makes the Pilot in 2 sizes. You would need the larger size.

Mess

east tx skier
01-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Whatever ski you go with, get a deep vee handle. Best thing for learning deep water starts ever invented. As for the really wide skis (as opposed to the shaped skis), they're great for getting up, but not much else in our experience. I'd get something you all can progress on and get the deep vee for the starts.

Jesus_Freak
01-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Whatever ski you go with, get a deep vee handle.

Absolutely! This handle enabled my teenager's "skiing career" this summer.

kjohnson
01-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Go to waterski magazine website and do a search on wide skis. There are a lot of reviews for wide skis there.