PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Stars and Stripes

Holden
01-03-2005, 09:31 PM
First off, just found the site and it has a ton of great info. I am going to look at a 1978 stars and stripes tomorrow and, being VERY new to the boat game, wanted to know not only some background info on this particular boat, but also what to look for during inspection. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

bradamerry
01-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Drive it, and not just for 5 minutes. Drive it for awhile and hard. Like you were sking. Stop and go, 0 to 36 alot. These boats are worked hard if you are sking alot behind them. They are built for sking and not for joy riding, but they do look good doing it :D ! Their are others that will give some other advise.

BriEOD
01-03-2005, 10:01 PM
My big concern on a boat that old would be the stringers (under the deck they are like joists or ribs). Being that the boat is 26 yrs old they are probably wood. Make sure it is not rotting out. Also, check out the shaft/strut pull on it from under the boat and make sure their isn't any play. Rot is the big thing though.

east tx skier
01-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Check the engine mounts and make sure they don't spin. Look for cracks and blemishes in the hull. The bow (where it might have been beached) and around the rub rail are as good of place to start as any. The above advice is very good. Drive it hard. Start it, turn it off, let it sit, start it, idle it, drive it hard again, repeat.

Ski-A-Rees
01-04-2005, 07:49 AM
One of the club boats at my ski club is an 84 (19 skier stars and strips ) and for it's age it's my favorite boat we have. There great if there still in good repair. Everyone had good advise that I have heard before but the only other thing I could think of was the trailer. Make sure it's not a pile of rust. I just found out that my trailer is pretty bad and I never looked at it when i bought it.

east tx skier
01-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Oh, after you drive it for a while, lift the motorbox and look for excessive water in the bilge. Some is okay, but too much is not so good. Also, look for oil or gas in the bilge (easier once there's a bit of water in there). Belts, hoses, excessive rust on the engine. Some surface rust is common, especially on a boat that age.

Records and cosmetics. Vinyl rips are easy to fix. But does it look like the person took care of the boat. If they neglected the stuff you can see, it's likely they neglected some of the stuff you can't see, too. Look for signs of an anal-retentive boat owner, such as a bottle of 303 in the side panel or a block to prop up the motorbox to prevent condensation from forming.

If this guy has been doing it right, he should be able to tell you when the last oil/tranny fluid change occurred and how old the impeller is, at least.

iokua
01-04-2005, 12:28 PM
As always, good advice here. My only addition would be to have a surveyor check it out especially if you're new to boating. I bought a boat about 6 months ago that could not be driven due to a missing steering cable, and the surveyor drove out to the location to check it out. Also, read other threads in this forum (and the archives) to gain more knowledge about these boats....there's quite a few knowledgable people here who are more than willing to help.