PDA

View Full Version : Retro Fitting A Bimini For New Tower??

SDAhockey21
01-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I have a bimini that no longer fits the boat because of the tower I installed. Has anyone retro fitted their old biminis and mounted them on the tower? I want to use the bimini I already have and don't really want to buy a another bimini from tower biminis even though that would be nice!

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2510.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2507.jpg

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2509.jpg

Here is a picture of the tower its from ND

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/SDAhockey21/DSCF2433-2.jpg

I sall some clamps on overtons website that might work but i figured i would just see what you guys have done first. They were 30 dollers Each... Thanks

milkmania
01-06-2007, 05:10 PM
if you don't get any ideas on how to chop it up

don't forget to put it up for sale:popcorn:

SDAhockey21
01-06-2007, 05:16 PM
About how much could I sell this one for? It's sunbrella. 3 bow 5' length w/ boot.

SDAhockey21
01-06-2007, 06:19 PM
anyone?????

JKTX21
01-06-2007, 06:20 PM
Good post, I am considering buying a bimini for my boat in the near future. I have a 13th Floor tower, but I don't want to pay the $$$ for their version. I think it is entirely possible to buy a "regular" bimini and retro-fit it for a tower, but haven't really thought about it. I think I'd need a pipe bender (if the supports can be bent).

Has anyone done this to their bimini?

SDAhockey21
01-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Has anyone done this to their bimini?

Oviously not.........8p

I found these...

http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/Pictures/149_17ssbiminimnt.jpg

From http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/details.asp?SubCategoryID=774&CategoryID=9

Rich_G
01-06-2007, 11:14 PM
SDAhockey21, retrofitting a bimini is also one of my future projects. I believe you can fairly easily reduce the width of your existing frame by taking it apart, cutting out the necessary width out of the middle, then putting it back together using metal electrical conduit and some sheet metal screws. None of the conduit reinforcement will show once the canvas top is back on. Then make a new canvas top or have the existing one cut down to size by a seamstress.

The question will be where to mount it? to the tower or onto the windshield frame. I am thinking about mounting it to the windshield using the same brackets you posted. I also emailed the guy at DIYwake.com and they are supposed to be coming out with some reasonably priced tower mount bimini brackets this Spring.

Ramhouse
01-07-2007, 12:34 AM
I had the same problem. Took a little thinking.....I have the same bib..
You first need to take the canvas off and put the frame back together. Now deside how high you want it installed. You can use the clamps that go around the tower, they are the best if you want to lower it in the future. Mount the rings on the tower where you want them. Now if you have the guts....cut the frame in half, in the center. Over lap the frame in the center, use zipties, and fasten the frame to the tower. It will bend down in a v shape. Just bend the outter radius to make the top level. Keep working with it until it suits your needs. Remember all excess comes out ot the center. You will cut off the exact amount from both sides. Now you will need a sleve to go into the frame. I used 1/2" copper tubing. Place it into the frame and rivit it back together.
Now the frame is done. Now for the canvas. The material in the center has to come out, the same amount as the frame you removed. I took mine to a upolstry shop and told them i needed 12" out of the center. They charged me $25.00. So low and behold a fitted bib for about $30 and an afternoon of work.
Richard.............ps..if this doesn't make sence ask a question.

SDAhockey21
01-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Sweet thanks guys

SDAhockey21
01-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Where did you get your clamps to attach to the tower??

Ramhouse
01-07-2007, 01:02 AM
I picked them up from a friend at local Centurion dealer, which has since moved out of town. I'm sure if you do a search you can find them, they are preaty universal. I will also look and post again.
Richard

Ramhouse
01-07-2007, 12:49 PM
I found them at www.wakeair.com. Look for accessory clamps...$39.00ea. You just need to know your tower diamiter.
Good Luck...Richard

JKTX21
01-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks to you also Ramhouse. I will be starting this project right after I find a bimini.

Can anyone suggest a good retailer for biminis? I am looking to spend $200 - $300.

Ramhouse
01-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Hay Hocky,
You start on your bib yet? You did good on your tower so this you can handel. Just take it easy bending the tubing, little by little so you don't kink it. Good Luck, Richard
Post pics

SDAhockey21
01-11-2007, 04:10 PM
no i haven't started I'm thinking about mounting the Bimini over the tower then cutting a hole for thew ski tow because i don't want to hit my head on the thing so I'm just trying to figure the better configuration and such and i can find clamps that will work the ones you showed me from diy wake don't look like they will work so i don't know

Rich_G
01-11-2007, 06:44 PM
A tradeoff of mounting the bimini up that high is that you lose some shade when the sun is at any angle other than directly overhead. It could be wider at the top since it is not restricted by the tower..., just something to think about.

I emailed the guy at DIYwakes.com a while back and he responded that they would be coming out with some tower bimini mount brackets. The current speaker brackets will not work. I believe that towerbiminis.com has them but they are pricey.

Harvey
01-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Where was your bimini previously mounted?

If it was mounted on the windshield frame then you should be able to easily mount it on the tower where the lower arms follow the windshield line. You might have to cut and widen the poles but it wouldn't be too difficult. If you mount it above the tower how do you fold it up and store it?

SDAhockey21
01-12-2007, 04:28 PM
I have it all worked out I'm my head:banana: plus the tower comes inward so i would need to drastically cut and bend the Bimini

Thrall
01-16-2007, 03:54 PM
SDA Hockey,
Nice job on the tower install!
As you know I have the same style boat and tower as you and contemplated doing the same thing since I had a like new bimini already. I decided not to after looking at how much work it'd take to shrink it down to work. Also would have had to have the fabric cut down.
I sold it for $150 to a guy for his bass boat. Didn't ahve any trouble selling it. Actully had a cpl people on here ask me if I had a bimini for sale after I put the tower on as well. I bought a new bimini from towerbiminis.com (Barrio's upholstery in CA). It was kinda spendy, $800 for a 2 tone one. It fits perfectly though, folds up and stows against the tower nicely and is also quick release for when you fold the tower up (everytime I pull it in the garage).
I don't have any pics of it installed, but they did great work. I think it looks/fits as well as any factory bimini on a tower.
If you're planning on keeping it a long time and have the $$, I'd say buy a new one.
This is the right time of year to do it. I waited until May to order mine after staring at it all winter and it took 2 months to get it. (They custom build each one to your boat's dimensions and your preference whether you want it higher or lower (more clearance vs more shade).

SDAhockey21
01-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Did you go high or low Thrall?? i need pics lol