PDA

View Full Version : need help...which engine..LY6 or L18?

Ole Miss Rebels
01-05-2007, 10:48 AM
i was wondering if i was to buy a new 2007 x star for mid level riders (very rarely a pro on board) which engine should i consider? i dont want an mcx although i understand it is a very reliable engine. which should i get and WHY....an LY6 or an L18? do either of them have any issues that i would be facing down the road that are inherent in the design. I realize the LY6 is new but i have variable valve timing in my new acura and that engine gets 31 mph on the highway while delivering 270 hp. that is the best engine i've ever been around and i am wondering if it is due to the variable valve timing and if that might translate into a siginificant advantage over the L18. thanks and all of you knowlegeable dealer and engineer types please offer me some insight if you can. happy new year.

MYMC
01-05-2007, 11:20 AM
i was wondering if i was to buy a new 2007 x star for mid level riders (very rarely a pro on board) which engine should i consider? i dont want an mcx although i understand it is a very reliable engine. which should i get and WHY....an LY6 or an L18? do either of them have any issues that i would be facing down the road that are inherent in the design. I realize the LY6 is new but i have variable valve timing in my new acura and that engine gets 31 mph on the highway while delivering 270 hp. that is the best engine i've ever been around and i am wondering if it is due to the variable valve timing and if that might translate into a siginificant advantage over the L18. thanks and all of you knowlegeable dealer and engineer types please offer me some insight if you can. happy new year.
I've said it before and I'll say it again the L-18 is the ONLY engine to order in the X-Star (budget allowing). You'll never need to 2nd guess props unless you move to a mountain top and begin pulling the pro tour or start racing boats. Fuel economy (kind of an oxymoron in this discussion) will surpass the others since you will not be required to prop the boat down to achieve satisfactory performance.

***Word to the wise*** there are modifications I do reccomend, the stock prop on a 2007 L-18 X-Star is too small and there is a reason why...but no one knows it (one guy does but he isnt telling). I'll walk you through it, but you need the info up front. (by the way this is just me talking and not MC boat company)

PendO
01-05-2007, 06:10 PM
if you were in a supermodel store, would you order a 9 or a 10?

Get the L-18 ... and take off that stupid 17.5 pitch prop.