PDA

View Full Version : Steel Shot Ballast system

MMCCAR12
01-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Has anyone seen the Steel Shot Ballast Bags? I saw some at a CC dealer here in Norco, Ca., but they dont have any more and said that they are having a hard time gettn any more. The bags are 40#'s each and the guy said that POP PRODUCTS make them. Cant find any information on this company.

Seams like a nice way to load down a older SS. I have tried water bags before and put the swim step 5 inches under water. There is no room in these little boats anyway. With these shot bags you can position them any place and balance the load nicely.:rolleyes:

dsoby
01-05-2007, 10:27 AM
A friend of mine uses sand bags. Seems to me that you might run into rust issues with steel shot.

Jerseydave
01-05-2007, 10:28 AM
I read about them somewhere on www.wakeworld.com, maybe do a search there.

Careful not to use too much, if your boat gets swamped, she'll go down in a hurry. Water ballast is safer.

Harvey
01-05-2007, 11:45 AM
http://www.pop-products.com/

I have been meaning to get about 200 lbs worth. Like has been said I wouldn't go with too many. Use them in the bow or to tune the wake but not as your sole means of ballast.

RobertT
01-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I ordered ten of the bags, but have not had time to get the bullets I am going to use to fill them from the local shooting range.

They were cheap, and VERY well made. Order them direct from the guy at pop. Good fella.

TX.X-30 fan
01-05-2007, 02:00 PM
I use shot bags to offset the added weight of two agm batteries mounted behind the stock battery. I had noticed the swim platform was a little lower on the other side from the batts. It was regular lead shot, I just put the stuff in a waterproof bag. The shot conforms to the contours of the area under that seat behind the driver very well.

04 X-30

east tx skier
01-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Steel is expensive. Best size to weight to cost is in lead, but paint it, carpet it, and keep it out of the way.

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I bought 120lbs of recycled lead shot from a local gun store. Cost about $1 per pound.

Then:
1) Broke it up into 30lbs each.
2) Double ziplock freezer bag. Duct taped shut.
3) Put into bank bag. Duct taped shut/wrapped.
4) Put into black decorative cover bag. Tied shut.

I like the idea of shot because it kind of conforms to its surroundings. Reduces the stress points on the surrounding walls/floor.

MMCCAR12
01-05-2007, 04:23 PM
I emailed Troy@pop-products.com, Asked for about 400 lbs of the stuff.
40% : 60% distrubition. I think ill stick some bags under the deck behind the dog house and on both sides of my rear seat. Then put about 40% under the bow. Maybe get a Big girl friend or two for this summer.

Sodar
01-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Looks cool, but why not order them empty and fill them with your own weight (lead tire weights, bullets, etc.)? Seems like shipping is 70% of the cost!

Jerseydave
01-05-2007, 06:40 PM
I have used wheel weights before, free at your local tire shop.

Buy some plastic rubbermaid containers and put them under seats wherever you want. Good for some additional ballast.

Rich_G
01-06-2007, 01:17 AM
I also made some hard ballast using lead tire weights stuffed into 2 gallon cube style plastic gas containers. After you put all the lead pieces in, fill the voids with dry sand, then put on the cap with no spout. 80 lbs each. This was great when I had a closed-bow slalom boat with not even a ski locker.

A favorite trick is to get an unsuspecting kid to "go fetch that empty gas can for me".

Eagle
01-06-2007, 03:01 AM
I've got 400 lbs of pop bags on my X-2. When I ordered from Troy, I ordered 800 lbs -- 400 lbs for me and 400 for a friend, so we got a little bit of a price discount. They are super convenient.

Troy's a great guy. He makes server racks for a living. The steel shot in the pop bags is the punch-outs from the mounting holes in the racks.

88 PS190
01-07-2007, 01:13 AM
Remember that any weight you add in lead will count towards your boats rating of weight, ie if you can have 1500 lbs persons and gear, the lead or steel adds in.

Water ballast does not because these rating numbers are supposed to be the amount of weight the boat will float when full of water (foam floatation). when the water ballast is surrounded w/ water it no longer sinks, lead does.

MMCCAR12
01-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Thats good engineering.

Talked to Troy today and His shop just happens to be on my way home from work. So I will pick up the bags myself this week.

It is 87° F here today.

Must be time to try and sink my boat !!!!