PDA

View Full Version : So TT'ers know everything, how about this?

Maristar210
01-04-2007, 08:25 PM
I have an opportunity to acquire a very large quantity of apitong wood lengths for pennies. This wood is from south Asia and is mostly used to line decking for flatbed and enclosed semi-trailers. It is also used as hardwood flooring.

Anyone know a wood distributor who would be willing to buy it? Or does anyone know more about it?

(Jeopardy music)

TIA One more day til Friday....

milkmania
01-04-2007, 08:29 PM
I have an opportunity to acquire a very large quantity of apitong wood lengths for pennies. This wood is from south Asia and is mostly used to line decking for flatbed and enclosed semi-trailers. It is also used as hardwood flooring.

Anyone know a wood distributor who would be willing to buy it? Or does anyone know more about it?

(Jeopardy music)

TIA One more day til Friday....
dimensions?

2x material?

Maristar210
01-04-2007, 08:45 PM
various sizes 1 X 6 & 2 x 8 @ lengths up to 35 feet

SkiDog
01-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Call Waverly Wood Products, Brunswick, Ga. 912-264-3781 and ask for Handy Jernigan:)

Maristar210
01-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Call Waverly Wood Products, Brunswick, Ga. 912-264-3781 and ask for Handy Jernigan:)

Seriously?

milkmania
01-04-2007, 08:54 PM

where you shipping out from?
google didn't give me a location:rolleyes:

trickskier
01-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Steve, I'm in the flatbed business. Not sure about the lenghts. But I may have a few contacts for you.

JimN
01-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Make sure there aren't any critters living in it or using it for their main food source and clean some up so you can sell it on ebay. Or, there's always Lumber Liquidators.

Maybe clean some off so you can show the grain in flat sawn, quarter sawn, etc so we can see what it looks like.

I looked it up- sure hope there's a lot of it because it takes decades to mature. Seems really durable.

Maristar210
01-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Milk - Niles Michigan

TRICKY - THANKS !!!!

BriEOD
01-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Make sure there aren't any critters living in it or using it for their main food source and clean some up so you can sell it on ebay. Or, there's always Lumber Liquidators.

Maybe clean some off so you can show the grain in flat sawn, quarter sawn, etc so we can see what it looks like.

I looked it up- sure hope there's a lot of it because it takes decades to mature. Seems really durable.
As I read Steve's inital post I thought "now if anyone will provide an answer to this question it will be JimN." I scrolled down and sure enough.

Jim I am quickly running out of superlatives to describe your knowledge. As always, I'm impressed. I think we should start calling you "Cliff" (Cliff Claven from Cheers). "It's a little known fact..." If I ever make it to Wisconsin, I'm coming by to meet you and I assure you, I have the resources at work to find you and much about you friend. :D

Cheers,
Brian

P.S. Steve, sorry for the thread-jack! Please excuse me.

Maristar210
01-04-2007, 09:45 PM
As I read Steve's inital post I thought "now if anyone will provide an answer to this question it will be JimN." I scrolled down and sure enough.

Jim I am quickly running out of superlatives to describe your knowledge. As always, I'm impressed. I think we should start calling you "Cliff" (Cliff Claven from Cheers). "It's a little known fact..." If I ever make it to Wisconsin, I'm coming by to meet you and I assure you, I have the resources at work to find you and much about you friend. :D

Cheers,
Brian

P.S. Steve, sorry for the thread-jack! Please forgive me.

No problem EOD.

Not sure of exact sizes and lengths. trying to get a number from the guy tomorrow.

Steve

Maristar210
01-04-2007, 09:52 PM

Saw the same thing Jim. It has been sitting in a warehouse for years and the new tenants just want it out, or at least thats the story I get here, second hand info. I know a guy who knows a guy..... know what I mean?

SkiDog
01-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Seriously?

Yes, this guy buys and sells heart pine floors ( new & used) He's been in the flooring business a LONG time! I think he might be able to help you out Steve. Good Luck, Eddie

milkmania
01-04-2007, 10:23 PM
[quote=Maristar210]I know a guy who knows a guy..... know what I mean?[/quote

yep;)

JimN
01-04-2007, 11:08 PM
"and I assure you, I have the resources at work to find you and much about you friend."

And with the help of a guy I know at the DEA, I'm going under. Deep under.

Hey- anyone can google this stuff, that's all I did. I knew nothing about this wood before I saw the thread.

I don't really like using wood from trees that take a really long time to replace (unless it's old beams or boards that are being reclaimed) but since it seems that the trucking industry likes it for flatbeds, hopefully, they are replanting these.

JimN
01-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Maristar- "I know a guy who knows a guy..... know what I mean?"

Kind of like Dr Nick on The Simpsons- "Hey Dr Nick, where did you get these?"

"I just got them, OK?"

Or, "It fell off a truck".

milkmania
01-04-2007, 11:16 PM
I don't really like using wood from trees that take a really long time to replace (unless it's old beams or boards that are being reclaimed) but since it seems that the trucking industry likes it for flatbeds, hopefully, they are replanting these.

Mike Rowe did a Dirty Jobs episode the other night where they were diving into a river and retrieving a bunch of trees that had sunk a long time ago.....pretty interesting.... they veneered them out

Maristar210
01-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Maristar- "I know a guy who knows a guy..... know what I mean?"

Kind of like Dr Nick on The Simpsons- "Hey Dr Nick, where did you get these?"

"I just got them, OK?"

Or, "It fell off a truck".

Yeah Jim, I got it LOL.

There is some history with this wood product as you have probably seen. Some slightly alarming info is that I read a company is refusing to use this material becasue of the stripping methods used to procure this in the Phillippienes (sp?). In any case we'll see what happens in the next few days.

I did learn late last night a good amount of the wood is 1 x 3 with a 1/2 radius and that changes things a little for sure.

Trickskier - Once I find out some solid numbers and a real chance of acquisition, I'll be in touch but I did not want to waste your time. Thanks to you (go Gators).

Steve

Workin' 4 Toys
01-05-2007, 09:25 AM
If I ever make it to Wisconsin, I'm coming by to meet you and I assure you, I have the resources at work to find you and much about you friend. :D

I don't think he wants anyone to know him:rolleyes:. I was right down the street from him and he drove past me, and he didn't stop. I am not sure how he knew it was me....But I assume he has some sort of tracking on all of us with his "connections"....:cool:

Steve, how much is there? The info I have 35' lengths, 1x6, 2x8, 1x3 with 1/2"radius...Any more info available?

TMCNo1
01-05-2007, 10:21 AM

Cheers,
Brian

P.S. Steve, sorry for the thread-jack! Please excuse me.

You can say that again! Jim really impresses me to the point I think his screen name should be JimK for Knowledge!:twocents:
Sometimes I even catch myself attempting to answer questions and hoping what JimN says will back me up! I'm glad you are here JimN!

Maristar210
02-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Here is what is now know is in our possession; Apitong wood:

2-1/2 x 3/4 x fourside 3/8 radius x 24 feet = 4800 Board Feet

6" x 6-1/2" stepped Apitong with a bead, interlocking 1-1/8 inch thickness = 2064 board feet Top surface is 6" wide while the lower steps are offfest to be interlocking.

TRICKSKIER - If you know anyone who would be interested please please let me know. Thanks - Steve

JimN
02-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Can you post some top and end photos so we can see the profile you're talking about? Sounds almost like it's tongue and grooved. Where is this located?

Maristar210
02-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Can you post some top and end photos so we can see the profile you're talking about? Sounds almost like it's tongue and grooved. Where is this located?

It sounds like tongue and groove but it is not. It is stepped lower to higher. Lower stepped on the left with higher on the right if you can imagine that. I'll take a picture of the samples I have tonight.

Steve

Workin' 4 Toys
02-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Some slightly alarming info is that I read a company is refusing to use this material becasue of the stripping methods used to procure this in the Phillippienes (sp?)

Steve
Well now we know,.... Anything the Phillipines won't use, send to Steve, he'll take it....:rolleyes:

jimmer2880
02-07-2007, 11:08 AM
The edge sounds like ship-lapped to me. That's what we put on the rollbacks when I worked for a rollback manufacturer many years ago (however, we used oak, not this fancy foreign stuff :) ).

Maristar210
02-07-2007, 12:03 PM
The edge sounds like ship-lapped to me. That's what we put on the rollbacks when I worked for a rollback manufacturer many years ago (however, we used oak, not this fancy foreign stuff :) ).

Jimmer,

Please explain what ship lapped is?

TIA - Steve

M-Funf
02-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Wooden siding rabbeted so that the edge of one board overlaps the one next to it in a flush joint.

Maristar210
02-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Sold half of it thanks to Trickskiers contacts

WOO HOO thanks Trickskier, you rock man !!!

slink976
02-27-2007, 04:48 PM
bonus for the TT peeps mari?

SkiDog
02-27-2007, 07:09 PM
Sold half of it thanks to Trickskiers contacts

WOO HOO thanks Trickskier, you rock man !!!

Steve, do you have any pics of this wood. I may be intrested. I'm about to build a hunting cabin for myself.

Maristar210
02-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Steve, do you have any pics of this wood. I may be intrested. I'm about to build a hunting cabin for myself.

Skidog
The stuff I have would not work for that. It's 3/4 x 2-1/2 Apitong. I'ts sappy and meant fo outdoor applictions like trailer decking.....

PS Calling you tomorrow;)

PaulW
03-01-2007, 11:04 AM
What sizes do you have left of the apitong.

TMCNo1
03-01-2007, 11:13 AM

The least you could do first, is build a playhouse for "Peeky" the peacock!:D

Maristar210
03-01-2007, 11:34 AM
What sizes do you have left of the apitong.

I have 4800 feet of 3/4 x 2-1/2 full radius on both sides. Looks like deck railing.

Steve

SkiDog
03-01-2007, 01:30 PM
The least you could do first, is build a playhouse for "Peeky" the peacock!:D
HIS NAME IS 'HAROLD!'

Maristar210
03-01-2007, 01:39 PM
I'd feed that peacock to those damn gators, that's what I'd do:D