PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman CompuCarve

M-Funf
01-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Has anybody seen, used, or purchased one of these? Good? Bad? It's a bit pricey, but looks pretty cool!

Sears CompuCarve (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?vertical=TOOL&pid=00921754000&adCell=P3&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes)

Mag_Red
01-04-2007, 01:49 PM
No experience with one, but I'm with you....looks pretty cool.:cool:

milkmania
01-04-2007, 03:04 PM
saw the commercial just the other day........

researched it, and it looked to have mixed reviews

read the reviews under the pic in the left column

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&cat=Bench+Power+Tools&subcat=Jointers%2C+Planers+%26+Shapers&pid=00921754000

JimN
01-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Kinda eliminates craftsmanship from the finished piece, doesn't it? I'm not making a pun, either. There is no hand work involved unless the person wants to flatten or smooth it with hand planes, carve it with this thing and then sand it before finishing it. It looks like it can do some cool things but I really like the hand-made aspect of woodworking more and more, lately.

M-Funf
01-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Yeah, to some extent it does. I was hoping that it would be able to do some of the less "craftsmanship" type items, like replicating molding, trim pieces, and rosettes that I can't find anymore (and don't want to have custom knives made for my shaper to make them)...:(

So I downloaded the free version of the software for the machine, and I'm not sure it's going to be able to do what I want it to. Even if it WAS able to make them, I think it might be just a bit too slow to my liking.

It is still pretty cool, though...:cool:

sassydog
01-04-2007, 06:23 PM
So it's basically a CNC machine for the homeowners. I guess if your full time job is building birdhouses and breadboxes for a living, this would be a great addition to the shop. But most non-professional woodworkers love their hobby because of the skill and patience needed to create a work of art, something of a rarity in this modern world. If your job really is producing mass quantities of material, i'm sure a CNC machine was one of the first things on your mind a long time ago. Although i do give Sears credit with trying something new while their sales are suffering, i would never buy a CNC machine from Craftsman. my personal opinion is pretty harsh, and probably wouldn't accept that thing if it were free, but again, that's just me. If it works great for all you aspirant caprenters out there, more power to ya!!! but i'd have to give it a heck no in my mind