PDA

View Full Version : Parrish leaves Malibu for CC.........

jkski
01-04-2007, 09:54 AM
I read on another site where Chris Parrish has left Malibu and signed on with CC. Part of the quote when asked about the move was.......
"It's like going from a station wagon to a Mercedes Benz" (or something like that)

OUCH, that one may hurt worse than the new MC ad!

chudson
01-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Burned that bridge didn't he!!!:rolleyes:

Sodar
01-04-2007, 10:28 AM
HA HA!! Malibu got punked!! I am not sure why CC got him... he should come over to a real boat company!! ;)

ski_king
01-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Maybe some day he will get even smarter and step up to a Rolls.

I believe he started his career behind a CC. There are some good reads on some of the other boards...

LQ9Lover
01-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Do you remember what site you read that on? I would love to read that!

ski_king
01-04-2007, 10:38 AM
here . (http://www.planetnautique.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=59624#top)

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2007, 10:45 AM
left bu and signed on with CC "It's like going from a station wagon to a Mercedes Benz"
Was this what was implied.....:confused:

Sodar
01-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Well I hope he sets a new record behind a Nautique so MC has to quit using their ad about the skier that has to go home to a brand of boat he doesn't hold the record with. I think I saw it in the waterski BBG.

Ha Ha, the ad even has the CC guys pissed off... I love it!

André
01-04-2007, 10:47 AM
All of them.Nicholl's,The Malibu crew,Planet Nautique...Just surf all those sites.
Pro skiers don't make millions like others sports.Parrish right to go wherever he wants can't be denied but if he really made that comment he's not really showing a lot of class.
Mapple is a real gentlemen and wouldn't leave like that.
I beleive that this is a big statement that will stay around the docks forever and will become a classic joke for all Malibu owners!:D

TMCNo1
01-04-2007, 10:48 AM
I read on another site where Chris Parrish has left Malibu and signed on with CC. Part of the quote when asked about the move was.......
"It's like going from a station wagon to a Mercedes Benz" (or something like that)

OUCH, that one may hurt worse than the new MC ad!

Waterskiing's version of NASCAR "Silly Season"! The future will tell the whole story!

Sodar
01-04-2007, 10:52 AM
All of them.Nicholl's,The Malibu crew,Planet Nautique...Just surf all those sites.
Pro skiers don't make millions like others sports.Parrish right to go wherever he wants can't be denied but if he really made that comment he's not really showing a lot of class.
Mapple is a real gentlemen and wouldn't leave like that.
I beleive that this is a big statement that will stay around the docks forever and will become a classic joke for all Malibu owners!:D
I agree with the guy on Planet Nautiques... the quote was stupid and classless. First off, if he was going to make a comparison he should at least make a good one... ie It's like moving from a Hyundi to a Benz or like moving from a station wagon to a sports car. Second off, why burn bridges when it is a such a closely knit sport... Its like a football player talking crap on Nike when he moves to Adidas, what happens in 5 years when Adidas does not want him anymore!

Jesus_Freak
01-04-2007, 11:33 AM
It is a little shocking that he would say that the way he did. Maybe he had a Kramer moment? :confused: :D

MYMC
01-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Who cares...Chris will never be the champion Andy was and is. Hell to be honest I feel bad using the two names in the same sentence. Chris is immature and acts like a child, I have seen him at numerous tournaments pout and throw his ski, or swim to the opposite shore to avoid fans etc when things didn’t go his way.
He opened his mouth and proved that while he has the talent, work ethic and ability to be the best he doesn't possess the one quality that makes a champion...humility.

What did Malibu loose? Only the athlete that has been a part of the team that helped to design the "station wagon" he was criticizing...what a dolt.

And people make fun of wakeboarders!

André
01-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Threadjack!
Who's MC top skier beside Wade?

chudson
01-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Threadjack!
Who's MC top skier beside Wade?

This might tell you a little!

http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=Living

André
01-04-2007, 12:18 PM

Thanks.I thought Will Asher was a MC skier.Seems not!

MYMC
01-04-2007, 12:20 PM

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
That was updated when?

Ric
01-04-2007, 12:24 PM
how well does all this news fit into (like it or hate it) MC's finally coming out with an ad statement about the unnamed Chris running a World Record with the draw of the 197?

chudson
01-04-2007, 12:28 PM
That was updated when?

Well as I said it tells little but hey I ain't runnin the update on it!!!

Heres another: http://rankings.usawaterski.org/default.asp?membermenulevel=4&rid=573361

André
01-04-2007, 12:32 PM
That was updated when?
Gotta better one?

Ric
01-04-2007, 12:37 PM
are the deals that manufacturers sign pros to ever public? I would think getting a deal with CC would be a good gig.

didn't someone post here that malibu sold more ski boats than any mfg in 05?

MYMC
01-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Well as I said it tells little but hey I ain't runnin the update on it!!!

Heres another: http://rankings.usawaterski.org/default.asp?membermenulevel=4&rid=573361
Not meant as a personal attack on you more an indictment of the "athlete section" of the web site...but hey maybe Origin boards will make a come back...good lord. I should look but I'm willing to bet Freddie's and Rusty's pages are a little more current...

André
01-04-2007, 12:38 PM
are the deals that manufacturers sign pros to ever public? I would think getting a deal with CC would be a good gig.

Do you mean ski boats only sales?

Ric
01-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Do you mean ski boats only sales? I think I do, but I cannot find the post

chudson
01-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Not meant as a personal attack on you more an indictment of the "athlete section" of the web site...but hey maybe Origin boards will make a come back...good lord. I should look but I'm willing to bet Freddie's and Rusty's pages are a little more current...

I know it's just that I'm out here in the middle of farm country and these web sites are how I keep up on whos doin what and then theres the Water Ski mags but I mostly just look at the pictures. :rolleyes:

MYMC
01-04-2007, 12:51 PM

In 2005 Malibu sold more total units and I believe that is the same in 2006. As to direct drive tournament ski boats the 190/197 outsells all other approved boats combined for all manufactures.

Ric
01-04-2007, 12:54 PM
In 2005 Malibu sold more total units and I believe that is the same in 2006. As to direct drive tournament ski boats the 190/197 outsells all other approved boats combined for all manufactures. that's good info. I would have said price was why malibu outsold all but maybe price is a bigger factor in the wakeboard market than us fickle old trigger happy direct drive customers:D

G-man
01-04-2007, 01:02 PM
In 2005 Malibu sold more total units and I believe that is the same in 2006. As to direct drive tournament ski boats the 190/197 outsells all other approved boats combined for all manufactures.

It would be interesting to see where these boats are selling because you don't see them in Dallas or on dealers lots in Texas. I know you sell them. We couldn't even get an MC at the regional JR Deveopment tournament last July because the 1 in the area was at another tournament.

Ric
01-04-2007, 01:06 PM
It would be interesting to see where these boats are selling because you don't see them in Dallas or on dealers lots in Texas. I know you sell them. We couldn't even get an MC at the regional JR Deveopment tournament last July because the 1 in the area was at another tournament. good point, my dealer has not had one any time I've been in there in the last couple of years, but to be fair, the few times 04/05 I was in the local N dealer, the closest thing he had on the lot was a 206

rodltg2
01-04-2007, 01:08 PM
the 197 seems to be more popular outside of the private lake / slalom course scene than response and cc196. im assuming since it doubles as a wakeboard boat its more popular.around here i never see responses or cc196 on public water, but i always see 197/x7.

MYMC
01-04-2007, 01:39 PM
The above comments make sense. We sell the vast majority our 197's and our 190 to families that ski public courses and hang out on the water for the day. The 197 replaced the 205 for families and the hard core guy alike which is why it sells so well.

The few knocks against it have been the wake at long lines and slower speeds (15 off below 34 mph). I hope we will address the long line slower speed issues but this will sacrifice the trick table (possibly, although not a huge loss right?:rolleyes: ) and the wakeboard wake (not a big loss to some I understand).

Cost is another factor for clubs and private lakes but we build them like a MasterCraft so...I don't look for that changing anytime soon;)

PendO
01-04-2007, 01:46 PM
The above comments make sense. We sell the vast majority our 197's and our 190 to families that ski public courses and hang out on the water for the day. The 197 replaced the 205 for families and the hard core guy alike which is why it sells so well.

The few knocks against it have been the wake at long lines and slower speeds (15 off below 34 mph). I hope we will address the long line slower speed issues but this will sacrifice the trick table (possibly, although not a huge loss right?:rolleyes: ) and the wakeboard wake (not a big loss to some I understand).

Cost is another factor for clubs and private lakes but we build them like a MasterCraft so...I don't look for that changing anytime soon;)

so mike, do you expect that the 214 will eventually phase out the 197 (popularity wise) ... are shortline wakes comparable?

Jesus_Freak
01-04-2007, 01:49 PM
The 197 replaced the 205...

:D Dems fightin' words :D

MYMC
01-04-2007, 02:02 PM
so mike, do you expect that the 214 will eventually phase out the 197 (popularity wise) ... are shortline wakes comparable?
When I skied and drove the 214 the wakes were identical to the 197 in every way (that I could tell). The boat is a scaled up version (really) of the 197 with a few tweaks here and there...it was nothing short of mind blowing for me because I had made up my mind that I was going to hate it. Why? Because I have never found a large boat with a decent short line wake (it sure wasn't the 209)...well I was wrong...way wrong. To answer your question directly the wakes up to 32' off were the same free skiing (which is all I had access to that day).

Will the 214 replace the 197? No, I don't think so and here is why (but it sure will compliment the line up). Not many people need a boat this big to ski and there will always be a certain contingent that will never take a boat this size with an open bow seriously as a slalom weapon. Lastly, there is the somewhat radical seating and storage that as you could see from the "214/X14" thread has already polarized some of the TMC faithful. The wild card in all this is the price...given that the 197 has taken some pretty tough price increases over the years the price of the 214 makes it look like a relative bargain in comparison. If you want a lot more room for only a couple grand more then this is your baby! Get in line now there will not be many to go around this year.

Ric
01-04-2007, 02:06 PM
When I skied and drove the 214 the wakes were identical to the 197 in every way (that I could tell). The boat is a scaled up version (really) of the 197 with a few tweaks here and there...it was nothing short of mind blowing for me because I had made up my mind that I was going to hate it. Why? Because I have never found a large boat with a decent short line wake (it sure wasn't the 209)...well I was wrong...way wrong. To answer your question directly the wakes up to 32' off were the same free skiing (which is all I had access to that day).

Will the 214 replace the 197? No, I don't think so and here is why (but it sure will compliment the line up). Not many people need a boat this big to ski and there will always be a certain contingent that will never take a boat this size with an open bow seriously as a slalom weapon. Lastly, there is the somewhat radical seating and storage that as you could see from the "214/X14" thread has already polarized some of the TMC faithful. The wild card in all this is the price...given that the 197 has taken some pretty tough price increases over the years the price of the 214 makes it look like a relative bargain in comparison. If you want a lot more room for only a couple grand more then this is your baby! Get in line now there will not be many to go around this year. SOLD! actually my salesman would probably hang up on me if I called him about a 214 today:D

jkski
01-04-2007, 02:17 PM
Don't mean to steal someone elses phrase but "Skiing is believing." There are a lot of boat shows within the next couple of weeks and it seems to be that there are not enough 214's to go around, so how can a dealer that doesn't have one even begin to sell it. I realize that MC dealers as a whole are very educated on the product line and in most cases could sell ice to an eskimo (no offense to our eskimo contingent on the board), but this one seems a bit of a stretch. Consider it this way, when you have the urge to buy (boat show time), and you are told you have to wait to even try the product, muchless order one and hope you get it in time for the upcoming season...... "I think" you'd be forced to look at other alternatives (not that anything else compares).

As far as Parrish.......never met the guy personally, however, if the quote is correct, "I think" it is in poor taste to bite the hand that fed you for several years....I'm sure there is more to the story that we do not know.

MYMC
01-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Don't mean to steal someone elses phrase but "Skiing is believing." There are a lot of boat shows within the next couple of weeks and it seems to be that there are not enough 214's to go around, so how can a dealer that doesn't have one even begin to sell it. I realize that MC dealers as a whole are very educated on the product line and in most cases could sell ice to an eskimo (no offense to our eskimo contingent on the board), but this one seems a bit of a stretch. Consider it this way, when you have the urge to buy (boat show time), and you are told you have to wait to even try the product, muchless order one and hope you get it in time for the upcoming season...... "I think" you'd be forced to look at other alternatives (not that anything else compares).

As far as Parrish.......never met the guy personally, however, if the quote is correct, "I think" it is in poor taste to bite the hand that fed you for several years....I'm sure there is more to the story that we do not know.
All good points...any dealer is welcome to use mine to demo any customer as long as I have it for sale. All he need do is put forth the effort to come get it and return it. Further any dealer can always take a perspective buyer to the factory for a demo and tour. This is a lot of money and if you want an MC then buy an MC. This isn't a sales pitch...buyers should hold out and buy what they want (MC or any other brand)...why settle?

As to Parish, like I said he was a part of the "team" (R&D, test, design, engineer, etc...) that built and produced the boat he called the "station wagon"...so where should we lay the blame? Nothing better than when you open your mouth to prove it I always say.;)

BIGBADBLUE
01-04-2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like the 214's wake will be great even with the size. For me and my family the 214 just does not fit the bill. No storage behind driver is a no-go and a bummer. We have decided to buy a houseboat and keep the 205. When the 205 needs to be replaced then we will get a 197.

Hopefully next weeks Nashville Boat Show will have a 214 ... but I doubt it.

jkski
01-04-2007, 03:19 PM
All good points...any dealer is welcome to use mine to demo any customer as long as I have it for sale. All he need do is put forth the effort to come get it and return it. Further any dealer can always take a perspective buyer to the factory for a demo and tour. This is a lot of money and if you want an MC then buy an MC. This isn't a sales pitch...buyers should hold out and buy what they want (MC or any other brand)...why settle?

As to Parish, like I said he was a part of the "team" (R&D, test, design, engineer, etc...) that built and produced the boat he called the "station wagon"...so where should we lay the blame? Nothing better than when you open your mouth to prove it I always say.;)

Do you currently have a 214, if so, I know that my local dealer would be interested in borrowing it for the Cleveland Boat Show, which runs January 12th - January 21st. If this is at all possible, let me know and I'll pass the word along to him...although I am sure you already know him.

Thanks in advance.

sand2snow22
01-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Who cares...Chris will never be the champion Andy was and is. Hell to be honest I feel bad using the two names in the same sentence. Chris is immature and acts like a child, I have seen him at numerous tournaments pout and throw his ski, or swim to the opposite shore to avoid fans etc when things didn’t go his way.
He opened his mouth and proved that while he has the talent, work ethic and ability to be the best he doesn't possess the one quality that makes a champion...humility.

What did Malibu loose? Only the athlete that has been a part of the team that helped to design the "station wagon" he was criticizing...what a dolt.

And people make fun of wakeboarders!

I'm going to have to agree with MYMC on this one. I was recently at an event with Andy and Chris. Chris has the social skills of a 2 year old, while Andy was actually being social and working the room.

MYMC
01-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Do you currently have a 214, if so, I know that my local dealer would be interested in borrowing it for the Cleveland Boat Show, which runs January 12th - January 21st. If this is at all possible, let me know and I'll pass the word along to him...although I am sure you already know him.

Thanks in advance.
My boat is currently in production so it won't be ready in time...I don't know if boys up there have one already or not...but Chris knows he can call me anytime.

jkski
01-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Just saw them yesterday and they were certainly hoping to have one, however, as you know, the demand is high for the couple that are currently available. I was just hoping that maybe you had gotten one earlier than expected.
Thanks anyways and I'll be sure to pass this along to Chris and James.

MYMC
01-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Just saw them yesterday and they were certainly hoping to have one, however, as you know, the demand is high for the couple that are currently available. I was just hoping that maybe you had gotten one earlier than expected.
Thanks anyways and I'll be sure to pass this along to Chris and James.
You have some great guys there...hard working dealers that will go along way. When you see them please tell them I said good luck! I still remember my first show on my own as a dealer...pretty damn scary when you got it all hanging out there like that.

PendO
01-04-2007, 03:57 PM
You have some great guys there...hard working dealers that will go along way. When you see them please tell them I said good luck! I still remember my first show on my own as a dealer...pretty damn scary when you got it all hanging out there like that.

so mike, what do you know about the next spokane dealer?

MYMC
01-04-2007, 04:03 PM
so mike, what do you know about the next spokane dealer?
Didn't know there was one? Who is it?

jkski
01-04-2007, 04:06 PM

Mike,
I will certainly pass those words along to them, I'm sure they will appreciate it.
I have been fortunate enough to know James and Chris from their early days at Rons Marine and I couldn't think of 2 more deserving people than them to have a new MC Dealership. The Boat House Marine At TriLakes is a dream come true for both of them and you are correct when you say how far they are willing to go for their customers. They have already made big changes and are making more which will make for an exciting season for all of the area customers.
Good things happen to good people!

Thanks again.

MYMC
01-04-2007, 04:16 PM
Mike,
I will certainly pass those words along to them, I'm sure they will appreciate it.
I have been fortunate enough to know James and Chris from their early days at Rons Marine and I couldn't think of 2 more deserving people than them to have a new MC Dealership. The Boat House Marine At TriLakes is a dream come true for both of them and you are correct when you say how far they are willing to go for their customers. They have already made big changes and are making more which will make for an exciting season for all of the area customers.
Good things happen to good people!

Thanks again.
Take good care of those boys and look for Meaghan at an open house/clinic up there this summer.

Mike

Blair
01-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Take good care of those boys and look for Meaghan at an open house/clinic up there this summer.

Mike

so whens Meaghan coming up here for a clinic :D :D :D

Chitownskier83
01-05-2007, 03:57 AM
The Parrish quote is horrible. This is not a sport like basketball or baseball that is mainstream. We are a pretty tight knit group through all the various watersports. I own a Nautique and absolutely appalled at what he said about Malibu. What happens if he leaves Nautique, what is going to come out of his mouth then? This is an completely classless act on his part. I did like Chris as an athlete, but did not know much about him as a person. From what I have read in this forum and the article, I am questioning him as a person and as a spokesperson for a company.

bkhallpass
01-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Chitown, I also own the other brand and agree with you. Tasteless and dumb. Also a mistke IMO for CC to publish such a dumb statement. BKH

MYMC
01-05-2007, 10:32 AM
so whens Meaghan coming up here for a clinic :D :D :D
Not sure what the date is yet.

skisix@38
01-05-2007, 11:37 AM
That ad on WSM BBG is just in bad taste. I've been hearing about the ad for a week now and last nite I got my mag out and read it for myself. No need for a cheap shot like that and I'm surprised MC took it.
"... boat of choice...", hardly. If memory serves the record was set at Trophy which is exclusive to MC, making his choice ski or not. The ad doesn't mention that. I could be mistaking that record with the one set by CP earlier in the year, by a few weeks I think, where his record was denied by the technical committe for boat path deviation- again in a MC.

Please, all you MC loyalists, I'm not bashing the boat, it's a good boat and has the ability to pull CP or any other pro to a new record. The ad was distasteful though. His previous record was set several weeks before and the boat that pulled that record was a RLXi.

Stuff like this ad and CP statement are just damaging to a flailing industry and resorting to cheap shots insn't the way to attract new folks.

Danimal
01-05-2007, 12:54 PM
That ad on WSM BBG is just in bad taste. I've been hearing about the ad for a week now and last nite I got my mag out and read it for myself. No need for a cheap shot like that and I'm surprised MC took it.
"... boat of choice...", hardly. If memory serves the record was set at Trophy which is exclusive to MC, making his choice ski or not. The ad doesn't mention that. I could be mistaking that record with the one set by CP earlier in the year, by a few weeks I think, where his record was denied by the technical committe for boat path deviation- again in a MC.

Please, all you MC loyalists, I'm not bashing the boat, it's a good boat and has the ability to pull CP or any other pro to a new record. The ad was distasteful though. His previous record was set several weeks before and the boat that pulled that record was a RLXi.

Stuff like this ad and CP statement are just damaging to a flailing industry and resorting to cheap shots insn't the way to attract new folks.

I try not to get involved with the politics on this site. I am a MC owner and when I read the MC ad and CP's comment (jury is still out whether his comment was CC PR or his own words) they both left bad tastes in my mouth. The big 3 all make great ski boats and I also feel there is no place in the industry for bashing.

C36
01-05-2007, 01:26 PM
...First off, if he was going to make a comparison he should at least make a good one... ie It's like moving from a Hyundi to a Benz or like moving from a station wagon to a sports car...

Seems another boat company used a model ("family sedan") and make ("Ferrari") comparison back around 1987. :rolleyes:

However, there is a big difference between these two statements (IMHO) - the one attributed to CP targeted a specific company and may have been designed to be controversial. Why? controversial = press, press = free advertising/media attention, advertising/media attention = increased sales (at least this appears to be the "no press is bad press" twisted logic that some PR groups adhere to). I am not saying that this is the case with the "station wagon" statement - just rather unfortunate that it could be viewed this way.

I think DANIMAL said it well, "...I also feel there is no place in the industry for bashing."

MYMC
01-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Well put sir

DooSPX
01-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I have to agree.
I am a MC fan, and my next new boat will be a brand new 190.
but all of the big three do make great tournament ski boats.

Ric
01-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I love this website!

MYMC
01-05-2007, 02:24 PM
I love this website!
Well good, you should participate more...;)

skisix@38
01-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Well put sir

We have agreed like twelve times now Mike! I'm starting to feel comfortable posting over here so I'm sure some other shoe will drop on me soon, somewhere.
Incidentally, was CP's approved record set at Trophy?

I agree with your assesment of CP character but, I have to wonder how much value he added in the development of any ski boat. I'm saying that I know how much and what he did, it just seems to me that he was probably busy doing something else rather than sitting with designers suggesting that this be changed or that....

MYMC
01-05-2007, 04:46 PM
We have agreed like twelve times now Mike! I'm starting to feel comfortable posting over here so I'm sure some other shoe will drop on me soon, somewhere.
Incidentally, was CP's approved record set at Trophy?

I agree with your assesment of CP character but, I have to wonder how much value he added in the development of any ski boat. I'm saying that I know how much and what he did, it just seems to me that he was probably busy doing something else rather than sitting with designers suggesting that this be changed or that....
I thought it was McCormicks...but I am not sure.

Not saying Chris was there every step of the way, but if they operate like MC they do bring in their top athletes for input as the product moves along in development...if the boat was a "station wagon" you would assume he would have said something.:rolleyes:

Glad you are comfortable...me as well. More than happy to put the past in the past.

Jim@BAWS
01-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Are we talking

"VISTA CRUSIER"
"COUNTRY SQUIRE"
"TOWN AND COUNTRY"
"NOMAD"
"ESTATE WAGON"

????????

Inquiring minds want to know

Jim@BAWS

Ric
01-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Are we talking

"VISTA CRUSIER"
"COUNTRY SQUIRE"
"TOWN AND COUNTRY"
"NOMAD"
"ESTATE WAGON"

????????

Jim@BAWS it all fell apart when he tried to do dips from the windshield

Jim@BAWS
01-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Oh boy here we go...

Ric
01-05-2007, 05:50 PM
I just "heard" that Jim, I don't know it for a fact

Jim@BAWS
01-05-2007, 05:59 PM
I just "heard" that Jim, I don't know it for a fact

You don't want to know what I "HEARD"...or maybe you do

Jim@BAWS

MYMC
01-05-2007, 05:59 PM
it all fell apart when he tried to do dips from the windshield
Now that there is funny I don't care who you are!:D

Ric
01-05-2007, 06:45 PM
You don't want to know what I "HEARD"...or maybe you do

Jim@BAWS awwww why thehell not? nobody reads this site anyway... spill it;)

Hoosier Bob
01-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Some great points here! Chris Parrish would have had an impact in the designing of the so called "Station Wagon." Is Correct Craft looking for a roomier tourney boat with a rearward facing jump seat? Maybe the CC 196 Skier/Truckster is right around the corner!

Davenport! What happened to Mr Parish's boat? I don't know boss! I know what happened, IT DIDN'T COME IN!

Regardless a classless act to say the least. In my opinion the statement makes Malibu look better than CC. Wow from Mapple to Kramer! What a loss! Anything Mapple brings to the table has now been erased, well maybe not Mapple! Sorry to say as I have been CC'r in the past.:o

TMCNo1
01-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Are we talking

"VISTA CRUSIER"
"COUNTRY SQUIRE"
"TOWN AND COUNTRY"
"NOMAD"
"ESTATE WAGON"

????????

Jim@BAWS

Buick RoadMaster?
Caprice Classic?

skisix@38
01-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Oh boy here we go...

With the 2 ft of snow that hasn't yet melted and the fresh 12" more we just got - dips is all my boat is good for right now, she's snowed in!

I can let that stay in the past too....

Leroy
01-05-2007, 09:53 PM
It was an ad, only an ad. Feels out of character for MC, but I think too much already about it.

"Designer: No Chris, we cannot put simulated wood grain panels on the side"

88 PS190
01-07-2007, 01:29 AM

Except Benz makes some station wagons :confused: :confused: :confused:

guess he doesn't know cars.

Brent
01-07-2007, 09:47 AM
The Comment should not have been printed, that being said the tendency for Malibu to send open bow ski boats to Slalom competitions instead of dedicated closed bows does lend it's self to the station wagon comment. I prefer the closed bow boats, the difference between a Response & a Response LXi is noticeable. I "ll ski behind a 197 or LXi , but prefer the closed bows. I don't think Nautique sends anything other then the 196(closed bow) to tournaments .I could be wrong, but I've never seen a open bow Nautique at one.

Nautique were not classy in their handling of the Masters last year, the Drew Ross incident was just bad PR!

pflcjl
01-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Was at the NYC boat show yesterday and Chris P. was at the Correct Craft booth.

Pretty lame booth - only 3 boats.

MC booth was the best of the tournament boats - Large lots of space and the following boats:

CSX
PS 214
X80
Xstar
MS245
X2 and I think an X15

No PS197??

Leroy
01-07-2007, 08:41 PM
I have to ask Brent, what is the difference in open and closed for a skier? Different pull or just the tradition, history, look, etc? Just trying to understand. Thanks!

I prefer the closed bow boats, the difference between a Response & a Response LXi is noticeable. I "ll ski behind a 197 or LXi , but prefer the closed bows. I don't think Nautique sends anything other then the 196(closed bow) to tournaments .I could be wrong, but I've never seen a open bow Nautique at one.

Brent
01-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Chris was stuck with the LXi which is bigger & heavier then the Response.The LXi is nice but compared to the Reponse the station wagon analogy is not to far off!The closed bow boats are lighter & tend to have less bling on them which improves handling & the wake @ all lengths.

The Boat Manufactures are trying to please a larger Demographic (Families , wake boarders) & open bow Promo boats are easier to sell & resell for the promo teams , hence the open bows @ tournaments.

rodltg2
01-08-2007, 01:08 AM
i may be wrong but i think the cc206 may be used at some tourenys.

i suppose that the 197 vs 190 and lxi vs lx are placed at tournaments since those boats will be easier to market to people outside the ski lake/private lake scene.

H20skeefreek
01-08-2007, 08:32 AM
I haven't skied an LXI, but to me, I would think the response/response LX would be a better choice as a slalom only boat. It's much smaller. As far as response vs. response LX, I understand taking the open bow to the tourney, because for some reason they sell better, even though the open bow is completely worthless on that boat (just as it is on the 197). I think that Parrish's aggrevations were probably just that. The LX has a better wake, and yet they take the LXI to tourneys.

I've never seen any video or pictures of a CC206 at a tourney, and I understand why.

Ric
01-08-2007, 09:38 AM
I haven't skied an LXI, but to me, I would think the response/response LX would be a better choice as a slalom only boat. It's much smaller. As far as response vs. response LX, I understand taking the open bow to the tourney, because for some reason they sell better, even though the open bow is completely worthless on that boat (just as it is on the 197). I think that Parrish's aggrevations were probably just that. The LX has a better wake, and yet they take the LXI to tourneys.

I've never seen any video or pictures of a CC206 at a tourney, and I understand why. the open bow in the 197 is completely worthless? shhh nobody tell Mastercraft ok? some people actually buy them and use the open bow freek.

skisix@38
01-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Chris was stuck with the LXi which is bigger & heavier then the Response.The LXi is nice but compared to the Reponse the station wagon analogy is not to far off!The closed bow boats are lighter & tend to have less bling on them which improves handling & the wake @ all lengths.

The Boat Manufactures are trying to please a larger Demographic (Families , wake boarders) & open bow Promo boats are easier to sell & resell for the promo teams , hence the open bows @ tournaments.

And you know this because you've spent a great deal of time driving skiers through the course and skiing in the course in both the RLX and RLXi? Thanks for your expert opinion on Malibu's!:)

I have spent a great deal of time driving and sking both the RLX and RLXi and hands down will take the RLXi over the RLX. This may be an anomolly but for the lengths and speeds I ski, the RLXi does a better job and makes it easier on whoever is driving me. Malibu's offering for tournaments is the RLXi and they haven't even qualifies the RLX in the last two years. If you go to a tournament and a Malibu is pulling the tournament, you will ski behind a RLXi. I don't think that it's much different than MC's offering, I haven't seen a 190 at a tournament since the 197 was offered, and I don't see them in any pro events.

MYMC
01-08-2007, 10:22 AM
After 28' off at 34 or 36 mph into 38' off I could care less who made the boat or if the boat had an open or closed bow. What matters is me and the boat driver more than any other factors mentioned in this thread so far. Modern boats made by the big three have come so far that at these rope lengths everything is pretty much the same (to my mid level ski skills...driving them is another story). These boats have come so far you wonder how guys like DuVall, Roberge and the Lapoints did what the did back before Perfect Pass, flat wakes and boats that track like they are on rails.

Inside 38' off there are some pretty substantial differences in the wakes, not that I made it around the balls mind you!:rolleyes:

Jim@BAWS
01-08-2007, 10:30 AM
When I ran the WORLD RECORD last year at 50 off...I did'nt even worry about those balls that where far away from the boat. I ran the ones that were close. They moved alot because of the boat. But I made them all. Parrish ain't got nothin on me. Maybe he gets a free boat every now and then. I could leave today go to MC of Charlotte and run the same pass behind any MC...even an X-Star.

How fast am I susposed to go...MENS 5, 240 lbs, 1 or 2 skis ???

Jim@BAWS....still dreamin I need to wakeup

Brent
01-08-2007, 10:52 AM
I have not driven any of the recent big 3 offerings ,I've just skied behind them. When you look at waterski mags boat review & see very few ski boats & even fewer closed bows , you realize that Slalom is not high on totem poll of most boat companies . An open bow boat is the ski boat equivalent to a Station wagon ,some station wagons handle great, but that does not change the fact that they are station wagons! I'm a mid 35off skier (no big dog or pro) & just offering my opinion & that's all .

I like this board & mean no disrespect & tried to tread softly , if I failed please accept my apologies .

Cheers

H20skeefreek
01-08-2007, 11:06 AM
the open bow in the 197 is completely worthless? shhh nobody tell Mastercraft ok? some people actually buy them and use the open bow freek.
I typed a big, long response, but it went away and never got posted, don't know why. Basically, everyone I know/or have seen with a 197/x7 doesn't use the open bow. It rides too low, and when it's weighted, it'll dip. If I were buying boats every few years and trading a lot, I'd buy the 197, b/c other people think they are better and have better resale. If I were buying a boat for ME, I'd get a 190. It's just more usable. Worthless was a bad choice of words.

Ric
01-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I typed a big, long response, but it went away and never got posted, don't know why. Basically, everyone I know/or have seen with a 197/x7 doesn't use the open bow. It rides too low, and when it's weighted, it'll dip. If I were buying boats every few years and trading a lot, I'd buy the 197, b/c other people think they are better and have better resale. If I were buying a boat for ME, I'd get a 190. It's just more usable. Worthless was a bad choice of words. that long post dissapearing thing happens to me when I'm on a computer that does not "remember me" it'll drop the connection in the middle of a long post if I'm not careful

I think worthless was a poor choice of words. I'm no marketing genius but MC hit the nail on the head with a world record boat me and my buddies can ski hard in the course during the week and then take the whole family out to the local big lake on the weekends.. Worth more than you may know to me...

skisix@38
01-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I have not driven any of the recent big 3 offerings ,I've just skied behind them. When you look at waterski mags boat review & see very few ski boats & even fewer closed bows , you realize that Slalom is not high on totem poll of most boat companies . An open bow boat is the ski boat equivalent to a Station wagon ,some station wagons handle great, but that does not change the fact that they are station wagons! I'm a mid 35off skier (no big dog or pro) & just offering my opinion & that's all .

I like this board & mean no disrespect & tried to tread softly , if I failed please accept my apologies .

Cheers

My point was that MC and Bu have developed their OB boats to ski just as well or better than the CB brethren. In any case these 2 examples of OB boats won't keep any skier from achieving their PB's in slalom. So if they ski just as well as the CB boats I have to wonder why they are considered a Station wagon? BTW, I have a Volvo station wagon that would leave my old '78 Trans Am in the dust!

Mike's right( again ) If I have any choices at the starting dock, I'm picking a driver and not a boat.

east tx skier
01-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't call it worthless either. It's always great when we actually need it for seating. But like H20SkiFreek, my next one will be a closed bow.

east tx skier
01-08-2007, 11:28 AM
BTW, I have a Volvo station wagon that would leave my old '78 Trans Am in the dust!

Had a friend whose dad had an early 80s Volvo turbo. Truly scary how fast that thing moved. Had another friend who rolled one going 80 mph. Walked away without a scratch.

Ric
01-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Had a friend whose dad had an early 80s Volvo turbo. Truly scary how fast that thing moved. Had another friend who rolled one going 80 mph. Walked away without a scratch. "VOLVO, They're boxy, but good"

H20skeefreek
01-08-2007, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't call it worthless either. It's always great when we actually need it for seating. But like H20SkiFreek, my next one will be a closed bow.
now ETS, the 205 is different, it's harder to dip the bow, not as "worthless".

east tx skier
01-08-2007, 11:52 AM
now ETS, the 205 is different, it's harder to dip the bow, not as "worthless".

Same space, but different reasons. I want storage and prefer not to have anyone sitting up front anyway.

Danimal
01-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Is the open bow that bad on the 197? I have been thinking about upgrading in a couple of years and would like the extra seaeting but would miss the storage. We are very casual skiers but I like the size and extra seating of the 197. Would an older 209 be better for me?

Something like this one - http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1171&cat=5

Ric
01-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Is the open bow that bad on the 197? I have been thinking about upgrading in a couple of years and would like the extra seaeting but would miss the storage. We are very casual skiers but I like the size and extra seating of the 197. Would an older 209 be better for me?

Something like this one - http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1171&cat=5 it's not "that bad"... It's "worthless" hahhahha

Danimal, if you love slalom, it's a great boat for you to ski hard and then take the family out later.

If you are a casual skier, the 209 might be better for all around activities...

if you put two 100lb'ers up front and nobody in the back seat, and try to pull boarders and such, you will swamp the bow.

If you even out the crowd in the boat when at the local wally lake, and watch what you're doing, swamping is not an issue

Don't pull slalom(at least not on a ski-lake) with folks in the bow. It's dangerous to begin with, and won't give a good slalom pull.

Jesus_Freak
01-08-2007, 12:14 PM
So, Ric does the weight up front hurt the slalom wake?

Danimal
01-08-2007, 12:14 PM
it's not "that bad"... It's "worthless" hahhahha

Danimal, if you love slalom, it's a great boat for you to ski hard and then take the family out later.

If you are a casual skier, the 209 might be better for all around activities...

if you put two 100lb'ers up front and nobody in the back seat, and try to pull boarders and such, you will swamp the bow.

If you even out the crowd in the boat when at the local wally lake, and watch what you're doing, swamping is not an issue

Don't pull slalom(at least not on a ski-lake) with folks in the bow. It's dangerous to begin with, and won't give a good slalom pull.

Thanks - It sounds as though the 209 would be a better choice. Plus there is quite a bit more interior room in the 209, correct? The skiers I ski with don't go too deep on the line length. I pull more barefooters and wakeskaters and wakeboarders (all relative beginners).

MYMC
01-08-2007, 12:17 PM

Something like this one - http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=1171&cat=5
I have never found this to be an issue with kids in the front or one adult. I cannot speak to two adults since I have never had two adults up front in a 197. To be honest I think to this is more driver than boat design.

I would pass on a 209 if you are serious about slalom. (IMHO)

MYMC
01-08-2007, 12:19 PM
So, Ric does the weight up front hurt the slalom wake?
Not much (sometimes it makes it better/from hull to hull) but it is dangerous due to vision and chine lock.

Danimal
01-08-2007, 12:24 PM
I have never found this to be an issue with kids in the front or one adult. I cannot speak to two adults since I have never had two adults up front in a 197. To be honest I think to this is more driver than boat design.

I would pass on a 209 if you are serious about slalom. (IMHO)

Thanks Mike. We really aren't very serious about slalom. I pull some guys that are okay but mostly I'm pulling the kids and they seem to gravitate towards the wakeboard. I do pull quite a few barefooters, though.

MYMC
01-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks Mike. We really aren't very serious about slalom. I pull some guys that are okay but mostly I'm pulling the kids and they seem to gravitate towards the wakeboard. I do pull quite a few barefooters, though.
209/X9 will be good...footers may not be crazy about the wide table though:(

Danimal
01-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Would the table be about the same as on my TriStar or would it quite a bit wider?

Ric
01-08-2007, 01:00 PM
So, Ric does the weight up front hurt the slalom wake? Mike said it better than I could
I just know we tried it once and the boat acted "weird" around the turn island, so I shut it down and told the teens to get in the observer area

MYMC
01-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Would the table be about the same as on my TriStar or would it quite a bit wider?
Much wider...think 210 and then go out more.

Danimal
01-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Much wider...think 210 and then go out more.

Thanks Mike!

MYMC
01-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Anytime, glad to be of service.

H20skeefreek
01-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Danimal, I'd consider a 205 or wait to find out more about the 214. I know a barefooter that bought an x9 and was VERY unhappy with it b/c of the wide table. He sold it and got a 195 with a tower.

Danimal
01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Danimal, I'd consider a 205 or wait to find out more about the 214. I know a barefooter that bought an x9 and was VERY unhappy with it b/c of the wide table. He sold it and got a 195 with a tower.

It will be sometime before I can afford a new MC. I will be looking for something used. The 205 might be right up my alley in a couple of years. Thanks!

MYMC
01-08-2007, 01:15 PM
It will be sometime before I can afford a new MC. I will be looking for something used. The 205 might be right up my alley in a couple of years. Thanks!
Best all round boat we ever made...until the 197 came out (boy they'll circle the wagons over that one!)

ski36short
01-08-2007, 02:17 PM
And you know this because you've spent a great deal of time driving skiers through the course and skiing in the course in both the RLX and RLXi? Thanks for your expert opinion on Malibu's!:)

I have spent a great deal of time driving and sking both the RLX and RLXi and hands down will take the RLXi over the RLX. This may be an anomolly but for the lengths and speeds I ski, the RLXi does a better job and makes it easier on whoever is driving me.

I agree 100%. After a summer doing battle with my club's RLX, I skied Greg's RLXi and definitely preferred the wakes and pull. Can't comment on the driveability as I haven't driven his or my neighbor's but from the business end of the rope there's no comparison. I'd like to see an LXi at the club this year (I guess we signed a long-term cooperative agreement with the local 'Bu dealer) but we'll probably end up with another RLX due to $$.

mess33
01-08-2007, 03:39 PM
I think Mario Andretti had a better quote when he compared stock cars to Indy Cars. "It is like going from a Greyhound bus to a Corvette"

Mess

Brent
01-08-2007, 03:41 PM
I never realized how big a difference there was between the Response & the LXi until I skied behind the 2 back to back , I'll take the Response ,it has a smaller narrower wake & handles much better ,at least from the skiers point of view . The response it 350Ib's lighter than the LXi , which explains some of it!

I'd dearly love to see Mastercraft come out with a smaller & lighter hardcore Slalom boat , but I will not hold my breath on it.

MYMC
01-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Funny how everyone has an opinion...me I could care less how much the boat weighs...rather I care how its built under the water (design) and who is driving it (all the help I can get). Weight doesn't mean a hill of beans...if it did the 1978 PS190 out back would be the boat of choice as it is lighter and smaller than anything in the lot. Controlling the flow of water under and around the boat is where the magic is at and the big three have this down to a science...sure at long line and slower speeds you can find some differences, but when you get into real tournament speeds and line lengths the boats are not what is holding anyone back. If you honestly believe your boat is the problem then call me and have I got the MSRP cure for you! Seriously, put your ski on edge and pull through the wake instead of worrying about it and you'll be pleasantly surprised! (Unless you’re a disciple of the west coast style…then I can’t explain it) As a good friend and great skier once said to me "damn dude girls ski shorter rope lengths than that so what is your excuse today (send all complaints to Aaron Guess)?"

ski36short
01-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Excellent post. I agree with all and can't explain west coast either!

Jesus_Freak
01-08-2007, 04:32 PM
...Controlling the flow of water under and around the boat is where the magic is at and the big three have this down to a science...

Yep. The mass/weight, in and of itself, doesnt mean jack. With the significant advancement of computational tools in the last decade, there is little ambiguity/art remaining in hull engineering.

ski36short
01-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Yep. The mass/weight, in and of itself, doesnt mean jack. With the significant advancement of computational tools in the last decade, there is little ambiguity/art remaining in hull engineering.

I have little doubt that proper tools exist but I still wonder how much is CFD and how much is art. MYMC or anyone, any knowledge of what percentage of a hull design is math and how much is empirical? Even a good guess?

skisix@38
01-08-2007, 05:08 PM
I never realized how big a difference there was between the Response & the LXi until I skied behind the 2 back to back , I'll take the Response ,it has a smaller narrower wake & handles much better ,at least from the skiers point of view . The response it 350Ib's lighter than the LXi , which explains some of it!

I'd dearly love to see Mastercraft come out with a smaller & lighter hardcore Slalom boat , but I will not hold my breath on it.

The RLX has a narrower wake but it also has a dip in it from the spray to the table that I don't care for because the 197 and the 196 and the RLXi don't have it. The dip in itself is nothing that I would be concerned about if that's all I skied behind, but it makes the wake feel harder when pulling out for the gates and crossing thru the gates. I don't notice it anywhere else. From the driver end of things, it comes down to set up more than anything but the RLXi's I've driven resist being pulled off course more then the RLX's I've driven. Not to give credit to the WSM BBG, look at the weights on the 196 as compared to the RLXi, they are nearly the same and there's a foot difference in length and a bunch more than that in beam. It's how the boat goes through the water that determines how it pulls a skier and resists being pulled from side to side by the skier.

Brent
01-08-2007, 05:08 PM
MYMC

Wouldn't today's water-flow knowledge work on a 80's sized boat , a more minimalist type of tournament Boat?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-08-2007, 05:13 PM

so a 190 closed bow isnt a hardcore slalom boat...???......???:confused:

Brent
01-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Yes a 190 is a hardcore slalom boat! I'm just ruminating on what could be if there was a will.It is January & this is as close to waterskiing & feeding the addiction I can find at the moment!:)

ski36short
01-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Not to give credit to the WSM BBG, look at the weights on the 196 as compared to the RLXi, they are nearly the same and there's a foot difference in length and a bunch more than that in beam. It's how the boat goes through the water that determines how it pulls a skier and resists being pulled from side to side by the skier.

I didn't realize they were that close in weight. One thing I've noticed is that when you step on the gunwale a 196 bobs like a cork in the water, 190/197 slightly less so, and the RLXi doesn't move at all - gotta be that barge-like beam. How does it even fit through the boat guides?!? 8p

Jesus_Freak
01-08-2007, 05:22 PM
I have little doubt that proper tools exist but I still wonder how much is CFD and how much is art. MYMC or anyone, any knowledge of what percentage of a hull design is math and how much is empirical? Even a good guess?

Excellent question. I cannot comment of how much is actually EXECUTED via CFD, but I know that little is impossible via with the right users/right background along with CFD.

MYMC
01-08-2007, 05:26 PM
MYMC

Wouldn't today's water-flow knowledge work on a 80's sized boat , a more minimalist type of tournament Boat?
Jesus_freak would know better than I, but my guess is yes...to a point and then the bigger platform wins again here is why. At some point we need size...the larger the platform the more the load is disipated (i.e. the wake is smaller). Remember the smaller narrow boat sinks further and easier with the same tournament load (judge, observer and rope changer).

This doesn't even begin to address control surfaces...but take a look at modern aircraft and you can see where all this is headed.

MYMC
01-08-2007, 05:32 PM
The basics are done with math...the rest is art and the pro skiers. The current PS190 & 197 was very little computer and lots of art skiers...next one will be a little different.