PDA

View Full Version : Cordless drill question

kycat2007
01-03-2007, 11:36 PM
I had a Craftsman drill charger die on me so I have to purchase a new drill. I see that Walmart has a 18v Skil drill for $20 but with one battery. I think it is a clearance deal.

I need your opinions. I do not use it alot but not sure if I should do 3/8 or 1/2 or which brand. I hate to spend to much but I want your info.
What should I do?

PendO
01-03-2007, 11:44 PM
I had a Craftman drill charger die on me so I have to purchase a new drill. I see that Walmart has a 18v Skil drill for $20 but with one battery. I think it is a clearance deal.

I need your opinions. I do not use it alot but not sure if I should do 3/8 or 1/2 or which brand. I hate to spend to much but I want your info.
What should I do?

First, quit ruining your laptops, next, go to a real store and buy a cordless drill:)

3/8" would be my choice, have an older DeWalt and a newer Makita, never used the Skil brand so my comments are worthless:)

Leroy
01-03-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm with Pendo, I bought a $20 drill and it was pitiful. Gathers dust while I just bought another battery for my 7 yr old Black and Decker 12v Firestorm. Have used it a lot and love it.

You can get replacement chargers and batteries if you like the drill.

kycat2007
01-03-2007, 11:55 PM
I think Skil is made by Bosch. Black n Decker makes DeWalt. I think there is some new ion Lithium Batteries coming out.

etakk7
01-03-2007, 11:57 PM
I would go with the Skil. I don't think it is all that bad of a brand. Not nearly as bad as the "Wen" brand 18V drill that I got on a Thanksgiving doorbuster. It has about as much power as my 12V Skil.

I have had a few Craftsman drills and the problem is when the batteries run their course it is cheaper to replace the whole drill than it is to buy new batteries. So I just get a new $40 Craftsman every 2 years or so. I think 3/8" is more than adequate for most jobs that don't require a corded drill.

PendO
01-04-2007, 12:03 AM
you are right about the price of batteries ... it's like buying ink/toner for a printer ... are they all adjustable as to the "clutch" thing where you can adjust the ammount of torque so that you don't strip a screw?

PendO
01-04-2007, 12:05 AM
just bustin' yer balls about the Skil, to some people the brand of tools is like the brand of truck you drive ... for $20 it is probably worth it

like etakk alluded to, if you need a 1/2 ", you probably couldn't get by with a cordless, at least not a $20 cordless, it will run out of juice before you finish with a 3" holesaw bit thru a 2X4

Leroy
01-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Try www.batteries.com (http://www.batteries.com) bought my B&D 12V for <$25 shipped recently.

JimN
01-04-2007, 12:14 AM
See if Sears has a factory outlet near you. They may have some chargers. Ebay may have something, too.

Open it up and see if there's a fuse or loose wire.

Slinkyredfoot
01-04-2007, 07:22 AM
I'm with Pendo, I bought a $20 drill and it was pitiful. Gathers dust while I just bought another battery for my 7 yr old Black and Decker 12v Firestorm. Have used it a lot and love it.

You can get replacement chargers and batteries if you like the drill.
For the money the B&D Firestorm is a good choice. Craftsman has always been a POS.
There are virtually a ton of choices, it all depends on how much you want to spend and how much you will use it.

Flatwaterfooter
01-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Jump on Ebay and get a new charger. Picked one up new for my dewalt for about 15 bucks

sanjuan23
01-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Or send your competent Makita Sales rep a PM hint hint;) Crap that really came off as Erk didnt it?

bigmac
01-04-2007, 08:55 AM
I guess the question is whether to buy, over the course of 5 years, one good 18 volt drill or two/three cheapo drills. A lot depends on what the drill is used for, but if it's needed for fairly robust and frequent drilling then a good drill like a Milwaukee or Makita is probably best. If the drill can be semi-disposable, then a WalMart special like the Skil may be perfectly adequate. From my perspective, I've had Skil and DeWalt cordless drills and they have been a big disappointment. OTOH, I've had my current 18V Milwaukee for almost 5 years and it's been utterly reliable.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2007, 09:27 AM
I like Dewalt & Milwaukee cordless drills.

BrianM
01-04-2007, 09:31 AM
What Craftsman drill and charger do you have? I think I have a 16.8v Craftsman charger laying around. I had the batteries die on me after about 5 years and as said above it was cheaper to buy the whole drill than replace batteries. Let me know if that charger will work and I will look.

kycat2007
01-04-2007, 10:04 AM
See if Sears has a factory outlet near you. They may have some chargers. Ebay may have something, too.

Open it up and see if there's a fuse or loose wire.

there was a fuse in the charger but it blew every replacement I put in so I think it is the regulator or transistor. Like Pendo said if I had to spend $20-$30 for a new charger then I probably would be better to buy new and increase to a 18v model ilo 9.6v I had.

kycat2007
01-04-2007, 10:09 AM
What Craftsman drill and charger do you have? I think I have a 16.8v Craftsman charger laying around. I had the batteries die on me after about 5 years and as said above it was cheaper to buy the whole drill than replace batteries. Let me know if that charger will work and I will look.

my drill was a 9.6v. I have had it a good while just feels weird to throw a working drill away because of the charger. My stepdad says that I will see big difference with 18v.

etduc
01-04-2007, 10:23 AM
my drill was a 9.6v. I have had it a good while just feels weird to throw a working drill away because of the charger. My stepdad says that I will see big difference with 18v.

Your stepdad is right. 9.6v is basically a battery powered screwdriver.

I purchased a used, remanufactured Dewalt at the Sears repair center, for $80.00 + tax. 3/8" drill, reciprecating saw, two batteries, and a charger. New would be will over $250.00. Sears repair center rocks. :headbang:

Ric
01-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Sorry wft but I have a makita that's nearly 20years old.

If I may make a comment and ask a question here without being accused of adding value to this website, then I shall.

First I have not met a battery operated 1/2" drill motor and cannot imagine it can do the job a 1/2" drill motor is expected to do...

Question, my 20yr old makita is the coolest cordless in the world.
It's small framed, 3/8", and the battery is built-in with simply a receptacle for the charger cord. It gets better... this drill is FULLY variable speed (forw & rev) AND has a brake on the spindle...

If anyone can tell me where I can go today and get a cordless drill with a brake and a reversible TRUE VARIABLE SPEED rechargeable, reversible 3/8, I'd buy it. period.

anyone? anyone?
(and don't link me some redneck 3 speed drill or something with a switch to change speeds, I am talking VARIABLE speed AND a brake to stop the spindle on a dime and give me 9cents change! This thing never strips a screw head or gets you in trouble drilling through sheet or fiberglas)

ok now back to my regularly scheduled posts about nothing....

captain planet
01-04-2007, 10:52 AM
I've had my Milwaukee 14.4V, 1/2" drill for almost 7 years and have just now had to replace one of my battery packs. I like the fact that it is 1/2" as opposed to 3/8". Been a really good drill and is very strong.

Something to think about, some manufacturers will make cheaper versions of their product just for WalMart and Sams Club. I found this out when looking for electronics a few years back. I would assume it is the same for tool manufacturers.

PendO
01-04-2007, 11:01 AM
so, how is this one? (SanJuan - how about an UMP group buy?)

http://www.makita.com/assets_product/BDF452HW/BDF452s.jpg (http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det_pic) 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2" Driver Drill Kit

Model BDF452HW

Lithium-Ion battery with the best power-to-weight ratio at 450 in. lbs. of torque and weighing only 3.5 lbs.

Makita built, 4-pole maximum torque motor delivers 450 in. lbs. of efficient torque in a compact size
More compact design at only 8” long and weighs only 3.5 lbs. for less operator fatigue
Batteries charge 4X faster in only 15 minutes
Ergonomic shape fits like a glove with even pressure and easy control
Makita Lithium-Ion provides longer run time, 5x lower self-discharge (for use any time) &16 firm holding contact terminals (for constant high power)
15-minute Rapid Optimum Charger and battery communicates throughout the charging process using the built-in chip in the battery and built-in CPU chip in the charger. The Charger also uses "Active 3 Control" for current control, thermal control & voltage control
15-minute Rapid Optimum Charger has a built-in fan to cool the battery to produce more lifetime work
Built-in LED light illuminates the work area
Accepts all Lithium-Ion slide-style batteries
3-year warranty on tool and 1-year warranty on battery

sanjuan23
01-04-2007, 11:06 AM

If I may make a comment and ask a question here without being accused of adding value to this website, then I shall.

First I have not met a battery operated 1/2" drill motor and cannot imagine it can do the job a 1/2" drill motor is expected to do...

Question, my 20yr old makita is the coolest cordless in the world.
It's small framed, 3/8", and the battery is built-in with simply a receptacle for the charger cord. It gets better... this drill is FULLY variable speed (forw & rev) AND has a brake on the spindle...

If anyone can tell me where I can go today and get a cordless drill with a brake and a reversible TRUE VARIABLE SPEED rechargeable, reversible 3/8, I'd buy it. period.

anyone? anyone?
(and don't link me some redneck 3 speed drill or something with a switch to change speeds, I am talking VARIABLE speed AND a brake to stop the spindle on a dime and give me 9cents change! This thing never strips a screw head or gets you in trouble drilling through sheet or fiberglas)

ok now back to my regularly scheduled posts about nothing....

Here ya go Ric!

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=6343DWDE

Or the above posted by Pendo

bigmac
01-04-2007, 11:14 AM

Never fear....

;)

Ric
01-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Here ya go Ric!

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=6343DWDE

Or the above posted by Pendo naahhhhh, how can I be sure that either of those "2speed variable speed" makitas are true "variable speed" and do either of them have the spindle brake?

sanjuan23
01-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Cause now they call it an electric brake!

http://www.makita.com/assets_product/6343DWDE/owners_manuals/6343d.pdf

And if by variable you mean the amount of pressure applied to the trigger = speed then thats what that drill is doing in my hands now as I pull the trigger.

Just ribbin' ya!

André
01-04-2007, 11:25 AM
naahhhhh, how can I be sure that either of those "2speed variable speed" makitas are true "variable speed" and do either of them have the spindle brake?
All my 12,16.8 and 18 volts Craftsman had those features and pretty sure all cordless drills have them now too.
You should keep your valuable comments on waterski and boats topics!
:D 8p ;)

Using a new Bosh 24 volts ,1/2 inch ,hammer for concrete and yes Ric it's variable speed both on hi-low range,reverse /forward mode.
Gotta brake on the chuck too!
The thing got a ton of torque and long lasting batteries BUT pretty heavy and not easy to handle when your arm is stretch on top of a ladder.

Ric
01-04-2007, 11:31 AM
for real? I bought some for the shop here a year or so ago and was surprised at how many were still NOT true vaiable speed and didn't have a spindle brake
Given, I was at Home Depot, but still I figured if I looked hard enough, there would be an expensive model with these features...

Ric
01-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I need to post a picture of this little gem. It's not 1/2" drill and does not pretend to be, but with good batteries it's so torquey, you can nearly not stop the chuck with your hand

peason
01-04-2007, 12:15 PM
I recenty bought a Hitachi drill as part of a 4 piece combo set - at Lowes. Rebate was sent for "free" jigsaw. One of the best purchases I have made- with all of the home improvement projects I've got going. Got a card from Hitachi the other day that tells me I can now buy lithium batteries and they will work in my tools - I have th NI-CD batteries which are heavier.
What it comes down to is - how are you intending to use the drill - I would spend some money up front to get better quality.

JimN
01-04-2007, 12:31 PM
1/2" chucks are usually in the 18V and higher crowd. I have an 18V Milwaukee hammer drill and I have used it for a lot of 2-9/16" holes, using the self-boring bits going through floors, framing and sheet goods. It comes with a handle so I won't snap my wrists like a twig and the first day I used it on the job, I didn't even use a second battery and it was cold. The 28V Milwaukee is even better, lighter and when I picked my 18V up from my friend at Milwaukee Tool, I saw two 2x12s leaning against the engineering building at the plant. I counted 66 holes in each and asked about them. One battery each, non-stop with the 28V, but they weren't available yet.

However, I have had a bunch of Makita drills and replaced one part, with one switch that needs to be replaced. Other than batteries, that's all and I used them hard, all the time and dropped them on all kinds of surfaces, even concrete.

Ric
01-04-2007, 12:38 PM
The 28V Milwaukee is even better, lighter and when I picked my 18V up from my friend at Milwaukee Tool, I saw two 2x12s leaning against the engineering building at the plant. I counted 66 holes in each and asked about them. One battery each, non-stop with the 28V, but they weren't available yet.
. what size holes? what bit were they running?

Maristar210
01-04-2007, 12:38 PM
ebay.......................

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2007, 12:48 PM
I do too, and note....That manufacturer is NOT on my list of likes....(20 years old MAY be pushing mine a touch, but darn close) I keep them around for a reminder of what I won't buy again.

Don't make me show you a picture of my Radial arm saw....8p

Ric
01-04-2007, 01:02 PM
I do too, and note....That manufacturer is NOT on my list of likes....(20 years old MAY be pushing mine a touch, but darn close) I keep them around for a reminder of what I won't buy again.

Don't make me show you a picture of my Radial arm saw....8p I am convinced you are too scared to show any pics of your garage8p

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2007, 01:47 PM
I am convinced you are too scared to show any pics of your garage8p
I posted a pic of the garage, and you said "weak"....Even after I told you there was nothing to see here.... And don't you worry, the saw isn't in the garage, it's in the "workshop"...:cool: At times they are one in the same.. You might just have to come see for yourself someday. And if you do, bring that boat...There's LOTS of room in there for a few, oh and you can leave the tower UP, after all I did get the LONG RADIUS ARMS for the doors and opener..8p
Ohhh... and I can show you my tool.....(Wait a minute, Are you a dude or a chic before I offer you that)..:rolleyes:

Ric
01-04-2007, 02:09 PM
I posted a pic of the garage, and you said "weak"....Even after I told you there was nothing to see here.... And don't you worry, the saw isn't in the garage, it's in the "workshop"...:cool: At times they are one in the same.. You might just have to come see for yourself someday. And if you do, bring that boat...There's LOTS of room in there for a few, oh and you can leave the tower UP, after all I did get the LONG RADIUS ARMS for the doors and opener..8p
Ohhh... and I can show you my tool.....(Wait a minute, Are you a dude or a chic before I offer you that)..:rolleyes: Either way I dont want to see your tool no matter where it was made

milkmania
01-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Cause now they call it an electric brake!

http://www.makita.com/assets_product/6343DWDE/owners_manuals/6343d.pdf

And if by variable you mean the amount of pressure applied to the trigger = speed then thats what that drill is doing in my hands now as I pull the trigger.

Just ribbin' ya!

I have that version in the 12 volt, EXTREMELY pleased with it!

would not have bought the 12 volt, but it came through a Sheriff's seized item auctiona whileback.......

$40.00 with case, flashlight, two batteries, charger, and gloves! ALL BRAND NEW, still wrapped!!!
(you probably know the package) similar to this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Makita-3-8in-Dr-12Volt-Driver-Drill-Flashlight-Kit_W0QQitemZ4575450854QQcmdZViewItem

now, I don't do a ton of drilling/screwing, but when I do I use my corded 1/2 inch dewalt:twocents:

JimN
01-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Ric- they were all 2-9/16" holes, drilled with the Milwaukee Self-feed bit. H-D, Lowes and other big box stores sell them and it's the same kind I have used for running central vac pipe and low voltage wiring. It takes quite a bit of torque to use them but if it's fairly sharp, it'll go through like butter.

They aren't cheap but when you use it all day, every day, it's necessary.

trickskier
01-04-2007, 02:49 PM
The 3/8 should be fine, the 1/2 is more for industrial applications.

djhuff
01-04-2007, 03:00 PM
FWIW, my electrician swears by the 19.2 volt craftsman (and he uses them to rough in houses, all day, every day). Says the performance is just below that of the dewalt sets, but you can buy 2 or 3 for the price of one dewalt. They don't last quite as long, but 2 drills will last longer than one dewalt.

That is what my next set will be (drill, saw, sawzall, flashlight, jigsaw)

JimN
01-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Sears has had their cordless drills made by Ryobi for quite a while but once Home Depot bought the holding company, that arrangement stopped. Not sure who makes them now.

Ric
01-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Ric- they were all 2-9/16" holes, drilled with the Milwaukee Self-feed bit. H-D, Lowes and other big box stores sell them and it's the same kind I have used for running central vac pipe and low voltage wiring. It takes quite a bit of torque to use them but if it's fairly sharp, it'll go through like butter.

They aren't cheap but when you use it all day, every day, it's necessary. I figured the bit played a big part in that test

milkmania
01-04-2007, 06:08 PM
here's something I like about my Makita charger

Makita DC1804 Battery Charger (7.2V - 18V)

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/DC1804.gif

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/makita-dc1804-battery-charger-72v-18v-p-55352.html

if I ever buy an 18 volt, I'll have two chargers!
or, I could buy an 18volt drill & battery only and don't need an extra charger

looks like parts are readily available also:twocents:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/makita-6217d-parts-c-97_106_107_215.html?osCsid=618568f673beed6d4a52c59 ba5897634

JimN
01-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Ric- the bit makes a difference but if the drill doesn't have the torque, it won't go. That's a big bit and a 14.4V Milwaukee won't do it.

Hoosier Bob
01-04-2007, 07:20 PM
My Christmas gift! I also purchased the impact which I have posted on another thread. The old Porter Cable 14.4 just would not cut it. This Milwaukee stuff is corded power and tons of run. The impact lets me change a tire faster than air!;)

Hoosier Bob
01-04-2007, 07:21 PM
Here is the impact! Sorry not in the $20.00 range!:o

André
01-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
You've been a good boy to get such presents...:D
How lite the new batteries compare to the old ones?

André
01-04-2007, 07:29 PM
What's at the right of the drill?

Hoosier Bob
01-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Compared to my 14.4 maybe a touch heavier. Much longer burn time and power increase is amazing. I really like the Porter Cable stuff but this Lithium works great. The thing you see next to the drill is the belt clip. Functions well but not for pants!:o I went out to the garage and started cutting crap with the circ saw. I have been running the same battery, same charge in the Drill, Impact and Circular saw for over a week. Pull the wheel off the truck. Get it fixed and remount. Same for Lisa's Trailblazer. Change a flat in seconds. All have tons of torque and if they run as long as they have so far they may begin to replace some of the corded stuff. I purchased to possibly build a big two story tree fort on our property in eastern Indiana. We'll see how that works!

Take care Andre!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Either way I dont want to see your tool no matter where it was made
Well, it was Made in USA:D (possibly some foreign and domestic goods in there)......but with that attitude, you ain't gettin' to see nuttin'8p

Hoosier Bob
01-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Would that be a 1/4 drive WFT?8p

Workin' 4 Toys
01-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Would that be a 1/4 drive WFT?8p
I ain't never seen a 1/4" drive radial arm saw before, perhaps I should stop in a hoosier store one day and witness such a device....:rolleyes:

Hoosier Bob
01-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I thought we were talkin' about "your" tool!:o

TX.X-30 fan
01-06-2007, 07:18 PM
How could a cordless drill thread last this long????

Where is the peacock!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that entertainment. :rolleyes:

Hoosier Bob
01-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Obviously you don't remember the "Milwaukee Corded Drill" thread of 2001? Almost out lasted the swimsuit thread. Nothing like Tools and Skin, count me in! SnapOn calander should be here soon!8p

PendO
01-06-2007, 07:58 PM
SnapOn calander should be here soon!8p

what are you going to do with it when it gets there? (you sound a bit too excited to be satisfied by just hanging it up on the shop wall?)

Leroy
01-06-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm envious HB, I'd like one of those Bubba kegs!

That is an awesome looking set of power tools!

Bubba Keg (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/gear_item.asp?qt=1&INV_ONHAND=&FREIGHT=&qty=1&Item_id=c80585&PartNo=2000413170001&Price=19.9498&ListPrice=19.9498&FORMNAME=12&Desc=Bubba+Keg+Mug+-+52+oz&SUB_Cat_ID=&SUB_Cat_NAME=&Cat_ID=&Cat_NAME=&clothing_ID=50&clothing_NAME=Specialty+Items&store=snapon-store&catItem=true&page=gear)

Hoosier Bob
01-06-2007, 08:22 PM
You can borrow it anytime Leroy!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-06-2007, 08:40 PM
I thought we were talkin' about "your" tool!:o
Wrong thread.....8p

Hoosier Bob
01-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I couldn't find t over there either? Your old lady must think she is at the Doctors office reading "Highlights" magazine!8p

Workin' 4 Toys
01-06-2007, 08:49 PM
I couldn't find t over there either? Your old lady must think she is at the Doctors office reading "Highlights" magazine!8p
Whose talkin' 'bout my "old lady" you beotch.......

Hoosier Bob
01-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I thought it was funny! That is all that matters! Why does anyone read the Highlights magazine? It is the search section! The one that some P O S already circled! I have saved one bullet for everyone of you ******* that circled in the Highlights magazine! You ****** know who you are! I am comin'!:mad: Whose talkin' 'bout my "old lady" you beotch.......

Workin' 4 Toys
01-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I thought it was funny! That is all that matters! Why does anyone read the Highlights magazine? It is the search section! The one that some P O S already circled! I have saved one bullet for everyone of you ******* that circled in the Highlights magazine! You ****** know who you are! I am comin'!:mad:
There is nothing wrong with circling the answers, I usually do them in pencil some those folks like yourself can correct all my mistakes..

Hoosier Bob
01-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Don't with me WFT! That is cold! As a kid nothing more than some circling the answers! I see a new thread coming on!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Don't with me WFT! That is cold! As a kid nothing more than some circling the answers! I see a new thread coming on!
Ordinarily I look for the "Where's Waldo" books and circle them, but highlights will do if I can't find the waldos. Either way I make sure to bring my #2 with eraser

Hoosier Bob
01-06-2007, 09:11 PM
That is it! I never thought you **** ****** ******* actually owned MC's!:mad:

atlfootr
01-09-2007, 09:31 PM
I like Dewalt & Milwaukee cordless drills.Mine's a DeWalt .... NO OTHERS come close.

TMCNo1
01-09-2007, 10:42 PM
My Christmas gift! I also purchased the impact which I have posted on another thread. The old Porter Cable 14.4 just would not cut it. This Milwaukee stuff is corded power and tons of run. The impact lets me change a tire faster than air!;)

Were you surprised when you opened it up Christmas morning?

TOO-TALL
01-09-2007, 11:21 PM
I just bought this sears craftsman kit

1/2 drill high/low speed
5 1/2 circular saw
flouresant light
dustbuster
jigsaw
corner sander
two batterys and charger.

TMCNo1
01-10-2007, 05:34 AM
What's at the right of the drill?

I think that is a little air compressor, that Bob will use to blow up his dates! Will the battery last that long?:D :rolleyes: 8p

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-10-2007, 08:26 AM
my advice is get a dam good one. I cant stress that enough. you get what you pay for. I have a 14.4V dewalt that I got about 8 years ago. kick arse drill. it still kicks! You might pay more, but it will last you.

Ric
01-10-2007, 08:35 AM
somebody show me a TOP quality lightweight 3/8 rechargeable cordless variable speed reversible drill with a spindle brake

01-10-2007, 08:56 AM
somebody show me a TOP quality lightweight 3/8 rechargeable cordless variable speed reversible drill with a spindle brake
only if you show me yours.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-10-2007, 09:18 AM
I have to ask, do you know what you are asking for?? A SPINDLE brake..??

Do you think there is a cordless milling machine available...? And I doubt I could find you one in 3/8"....WHAT THE HE!! does one do with a 3/8" chuck that you couldn't do with a 1/2"..I don't get it..

Mag_Red
01-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Here's a cool little cordless drill for those tight spaces. 7.4 V, but it's small size sure has come in handy.:D The new GF gave it to me for Christmas :cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Mag..
Keep her......;)

I have used some previous 14v S-O cordless drills....I haven't figured out who made them for S-O but they did not meet our expectations. Hope they upgraded the "manufacturer" since then....

01-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Mag..
Keep her......;)
The drill, or the woman?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-10-2007, 09:44 AM
The drill, or the woman?
By the sounds of his description "new" GF, I'd guess he trades them in often...I figure, any woman that buys a man Snap-on tools is a keeper....Nuff said...

Ric
01-10-2007, 10:18 AM
I have to ask, do you know what you are asking for?? A SPINDLE brake..??

Do you think there is a cordless milling machine available...? And I doubt I could find you one in 3/8"....WHAT THE HE!! does one do with a 3/8" chuck that you couldn't do with a 1/2"..I don't get it..
Whatever you want to call it, spindle brake, autostop, whatever.

I am talking about a drill motor, yes a 3/8 drill motor SMALL... not as small as mags, but ok if it has the nads that my little 20yr old makita has, then i'll take it!

I'll say it again, somebody show me a 3/8 cordless rechargeable, variable speed drill, reversible, with a brake(you know, the thing that stops the spindle immediately when you release the trigger? a BRAKE). Made in the USA is a plus

Workin' 4 Toys
01-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Whatever you want to call it, spindle brake, autostop, whatever.

I am talking about a drill motor, yes a 3/8 drill motor SMALL... not as small as mags, but ok if it has the nads that my little 20yr old makita has, then i'll take it!

I'll say it again, somebody show me a 3/8 cordless rechargeable, variable speed drill, reversible, with a brake(you know, the thing that stops the spindle immediately when you release the trigger? a BRAKE). Made in the USA is a plusVoltage 9.6, RPM 0-1000, reverse, Torque 250 in lbs. 3/8" chuck, 3.6 lbs., spindle lock,
Made....???

Ric
01-10-2007, 11:38 AM
shes more bulky than my makita but we are getting somewhere
does that one have a brake? I cannot stand for a cordless to roll-to-a-stop when I let off the trigger.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-10-2007, 11:51 AM
shes more bulky than my makita but we are getting somewhere
does that one have a brake? I cannot stand for a cordless to roll-to-a-stop when I let off the trigger.
Ok, I can't imagine why you spend so much time freewheelin' your cordless drills, but I'd say it has the feature you desire. I am not selling you a Bosch product, you asked to see one that did what you wanted..Hence the picture.8p

I need to see what you are comparing it to. If you are comparing it to what I think you have. Which is the baby blue drill with the black metal clasp on the bottom of the handle covering the opening where the battery slides inside.?.. I can not think of a bigger POS I have ever owned than that one.

Ric
01-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Ok, I can't imagine why you spend so much time freewheelin' your cordless drills, but I'd say it has the feature you desire. I am not selling you a Bosch product, you asked to see one that did what you wanted..Hence the picture.8p

I need to see what you are comparing it to. If you are comparing it to what I think you have. Which is the baby blue drill with the black metal clasp on the bottom of the handle covering the opening where the battery slides inside.?.. I can not think of a bigger POS I have ever owned than that one. no no no not that one
mine has a built in battery and you plug the little charger cord into the handle.... NICE
I shall post a pic of her since ump said not until I show mine:o

I have grown fond and used to my compact variable speed tool and want a new model of comparable or better qualities:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-10-2007, 02:48 PM
no no no not that one
mine has a built in battery and you plug the little charger cord into the handle.... NICE
I shall post a pic of her since ump said not until I show mine:o

I have grown fond and used to my compact variable speed tool and want a new model of comparable or better qualities:rolleyes:
Then get a DeWalt....
Otherwise here is ANOTHER one as you described that I am NOT trying to sell you.....
Panasonic- 18-stage clutch & drill, 3/8" keyless chuck, variable speed control, electric brake and a quick-charging system,Length 8-3/16", 293 in.lbs.trq, 3.8 lbs, 2 variable speeds Low 50-400 rpm, High 180-1300 rpm

Ric
01-10-2007, 03:04 PM
keep em coming
the psonic is too bulky but you have the right idea
I like to refer to the little one as a trim gun or a 2nd op gun
NOT going to build a house with the thing but really like how small it is for jobs like trim work in the mc or stereo equipment installs where space is an issue
I have needs

jraben8
01-10-2007, 03:15 PM
I had a 14V DeWalt for 3-4 years (until it walked out of my garage with a radio one afternoon) - Fantastic drill. I now have a 18V Firestorm and it barely has as much power as the DeWalt did but has held up for 7 years. I'm on my 2nd set of batteries and probably 3rd before too much longer.

The Firestorm is noticibly more bulky and upon first use after sitting for more than a couple of hours has a nice burnt electrical smell for a minute or 2. But it has always continued to work...

Workin' 4 Toys
01-10-2007, 03:22 PM
keep em coming
the psonic is too bulky but you have the right idea
I like to refer to the little one as a trim gun or a 2nd op gun
NOT going to build a house with the thing but really like how small it is for jobs like trim work in the mc or stereo equipment installs where space is an issue
I have needs
$70.02 and you are done (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=75285&PartNo=SGDMRCE44&group_id=19796&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all) Problem solved...

Man are you picky like a............:rolleyes:

Ric
01-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :rolleyes:

jimmer2880
01-11-2007, 06:11 AM
Voltage 9.6, RPM 0-1000, reverse, Torque 250 in lbs. 3/8" chuck, 3.6 lbs., spindle lock,
Made....???

I have this guy & absolutely LOVE it. Very light weight & awesome tigh spot work'ability. Plus, it's variable angle. So - it's anywhere between 0 & 90 degrees. At 10.8v, it is decent enough for many of the things I do around the house.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2007, 08:24 AM
I have this guy & absolutely LOVE it. Very light weight & awesome tigh spot work'ability. Plus, it's variable angle. So - it's anywhere between 0 & 90 degrees. At 10.8v, it is decent enough for many of the things I do around the house.
Where is it "made"...?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2007, 08:47 AM
does that one have a brake? Yes it does.....NOT that I'm trying to sell you on the Bosch....

jimmer2880
01-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Where is it "made"...?

Malaysia

I buy American when they/we produce a superior product. But, nobody else has a drill/driver like this. Also - this seems to be well built. Not some cheap no-name all plastic cr@p that some put out.

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
I have a bunch of Bosch stuff WFT. Let's just say they are "early" Americans but not really early Americans! Milwaukee V28! Brakes on all like no other I have messed with. No cute levels though!8p

Slinkyredfoot
01-11-2007, 07:15 PM
I had a Craftsman drill charger die on me so I have to purchase a new drill. I see that Walmart has a 18v Skil drill for $20 but with one battery. I think it is a clearance deal.

What should I do?

Hey kycat have ya bought anything yet? :popcorn:

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Kitty Cat likes to talk a good game but I'll bet nothing is getting drilled around his homestead as of late!8p

TX.X-30 fan
01-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Die Cordless Drill Thread Die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( This Is From Tim The Tool Man ) :rant:

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I am with you TX! I am starting a Cordless sawzall thread as we speak!:D

kycat2007
01-11-2007, 09:43 PM
OK since I started it lets let it die.

kycat2007
01-11-2007, 09:46 PM
I have been busy drilling the gfriends stuff. She has lots of honey doos for me. I am leaning toward the more powerful units.

LakePirate
01-11-2007, 09:50 PM
I have been busy drilling the gfriends stuff. .

well there you go.

André
01-11-2007, 09:51 PM
well there you go.
Now i know it's really you...LOL:D

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2007, 09:52 PM
So, is it you or her who is asking for the more "Powerful" unit?:o

BriEOD
01-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Where is it "made"...?
Interesting Jim says Malaysia (I believe him). But, Bosch has a huge plant in Charleston SC.

Leroy
01-11-2007, 10:05 PM
The swimsuite thread is gone and look what we are talking about.....

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Drilling without a cord?:confused:

Leroy
01-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey how's it going Bob!

Still lovin my firestorm 12v drill....

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Doing great here! I had a hard time when we lost the swimsuit thread! Do not take away the cordless drill thread! Hope all is well Leroy!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Doing great here! I had a hard time when we lost the swimsuit thread! Do not take away the cordless drill thread! Hope all is well Leroy!
There sure is alot of tool talk going on.....

kycat2007
01-11-2007, 10:47 PM
She really likes my power unit Bob. She says that my drill bit works quite well when she needs things done fast or for even longer projects she has stored up. I think having a handy man around makes her happy.

If you want the cordless drill to die, you probably will not have to wait long.

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Mine is the Longer lasting 28v! I can go all night and through breakfast!

PendO
01-12-2007, 03:44 AM
I have been busy drilling the gfriends stuff. She has lots of honey doos for me. I am leaning toward the more powerful units.

did hoosier bob pay you to write this?

Leroy
01-12-2007, 07:08 AM
KYcat2007's avatar is Otis, Bob is sometimes known as Evil Otis.........

Hoosier Bob
01-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Evil Otis! Ha, you remembered! Not a very good name to be known as.:o

TX.X-30 fan
01-12-2007, 11:31 AM
I am with you TX! I am starting a Cordless sawzall thread as we speak!:D

Thats what Im talking about. Much more entertaining topic. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Leroy
01-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I think we all have our Evil Otis momemts! :D

Evil Otis! Ha, you remembered! Not a very good name to be known as.:o