PDA

View Full Version : Laptop issue

kycat2007
01-03-2007, 04:13 PM
I have a company issued laptop and the screen goes black while I am on the web reading TT etc. What causes this? I have to reboot sometimes twice a day. I called my it guys and they will probably send me a new one but this has happened on two seperate laptops. Are they known for this?

milkmania
01-03-2007, 04:15 PM
I have a company issued laptop and the screen goes black while I am on the web reading TT etc. What causes this? I have to reboot sometimes twice a day. I called my it guys and they will probably send me a new one but this has happened on two seperate laptops. Are they known for this?

is it going into standby?
does it typically do it just from tmcowners?
do you have to force it to shut down? holding the off switch for over 4 seconds...etc...

make & model?

milkmania
01-03-2007, 04:16 PM
oh wait, you said company issued.....

either drive over it or cook it in the microwave for 35 minutes or until crispy

Jesus_Freak
01-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Are they known for this?

Laptops or IT guys?

kycat2007
01-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Ok the screen goes black and no response to clicks of mouse or buttons. I hear the action in background but no way to see what is on screen. I have to hild the power button down for about three sec and let it reboot. Very frustrating. Do the laptops do this regularly? This will be my second one that has done it. It is a IBM thinkpad.

Leroy
01-03-2007, 07:26 PM
What are you doing just before it goes black? Running any new applications or just sitting there? Certainly not a common occurance.

Could be the corp monitoring SW locking you up ;)

dmayer84
01-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Backlight in the lcd, Ive seen it alot, it would be fine if you hook up an external hard drive.

milkmania
01-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Backlight in the lcd, Ive seen it alot, it would be fine if you hook up an external hard drive.
guess you could test the video output by adding another monitor....

but, be sure to set up the 2nd monitor BEFORE the lcd goes black:cool:

JimN
01-03-2007, 10:19 PM
IIRC, an IBM can be set to the second monitor by pressing one or two keys.

The backlight thing does sound familiar and I have heard of regular LCD TVs having them go out, too. Some of the OEM replacements are really expensive but there are other sources that work as well, but are a lot less money.

milkmania
01-03-2007, 10:23 PM
IIRC, an IBM can be set to the second monitor by pressing one or two keys.

I bet you're right....
I was thinking about the fit I went through hooking up my lcd tv

I'm think most laptops use the function key with the F4 key, to switch from laptop screen, projector, or other monitor ie:CRT or LCD

PendO
01-03-2007, 10:27 PM
do you have the laptop on a hard surface when this happens ... like if it is on the carpet or a pillow or something it could be overheating if the fan is not able to keep up ... here is one way to find out if the CPU is still working when the screen goes black, put a music CD in and let it play as you are on TT or the internet, if the music is still playing when the screen goes black (and continues to play when it remains black), then it is a monitor issue as your software application is still running okay.

/// or you could just use an application to play music stored on the computer and skip using the cd drive

dmayer84
01-03-2007, 10:28 PM
If its a company laptop I wouldnt worry too much, if they have another of the same model they can just put the hard drive in that

mitch
01-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Fn F7 will let you set up a projector etc. on a Thinkpad. Good luck

kycat2007
01-04-2007, 12:28 AM
The laptop is in a very weird place when this continues to happen it is in my lap.;)

I play on Pokerstars and when it goes out i can still hear the sounds from the site but just cant see it. My company will probably just send me a new laptop and I will have to updaye everything.:(

JimN
01-04-2007, 12:31 AM
If you set it up for file sharing, you can just drag and drop what you need to (no DVD/CD burning), or they can just remove the hard drive and put it in a different machine. If it's only the display, that can be repaired. The backlight does sound like a probable cause. Hold a flashlight at a low angle to the screen and if you see text and pictures, it's the backlight.

Leroy
01-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Big clue, I'm guessing your next computer will do the same. I've never been to pokerstars, but these sites tend to be sticky/pop up and corp firewalls and virus protection tend to hate sticky/pop up sites.

I play on Pokerstars and when it goes out i can still hear the sounds from the site but just cant see it.