PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Repair

trickskier
01-03-2007, 03:40 PM
We bought my daughter a Sony digital camera for her birthday. Last night she informed me that the LCD Viewer was cracked. Unfortunately, we did not purchase the insurance. So my daughter did some research and the best option so far is to send it back to Sony for repair at an estimated cost of $180.

I've searched the internet and there are several places to send it for repair. However, I just don't want to send it off not knowing if they are reputable.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can send it?

milkmania
01-03-2007, 03:42 PM
We bought my daughter a Sony digital camera for her birthday. Last night she informed me that the LCD Viewer was cracked. Unfortunately, we did not purchase the insurance. So my daughter did some research and the best option so far is to send it back to Sony for repair at an estimated cost of $180.

I've searched the internet and there are several places to send it for repair. However, I just don't want to send it off not knowing if they are reputable.

you got a model number?

I've seen repairs on ipods, and other things with LCD screens....
with the proper tutorial, I'd try to replace the LCD screen on just about anything:twocents:

trickskier
01-03-2007, 03:43 PM
you got a model number?

I've seen repairs on ipods, and other things with LCD screens....
with the proper tutorial, I'd try to replace the LCD screen on just about anything:twocents:
I'll get it

milkmania
01-03-2007, 03:45 PM
I'll get it

stuff like this is what I had in mind
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~jo262/miscellany/broken_lcd_cracked_screen_canon_sd-300_sd-200_ixus-40_ixus-30.html

kycat2007
01-03-2007, 03:51 PM
Where did you buy it at? Best Buy could take something back if you told them it was a late present and when you opened it it was that way. I hate to admit it but I have repurchased and returned in the past. Not to ethical but I did not break the Microwave that I had bought but it was missing a part and they told me that I had to get it from the manufacture. I went to a different store and told them that I did not want the unit and not about the missing parts. Got refund and purchased microwave elsewhere.

milkmania
01-03-2007, 03:54 PM
here's another guy with Sony camera parts

dunno, what model you need, but he claims to be interested in buying your broken cameras:confused:

http://www.pechorin.com/m/2004/09/12/SONY_DSCT1_LCD_SCREEN_REPLACEMENT_PARTS-221252-14.html

milkmania
01-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Where did you buy it at? Best Buy could take something back if you told them it was a late present and when you opened it it was that way. I hate to admit it but I have repurchased and returned in the past. Not to ethical but I did not break the Microwave that I had bought but it was missing a part and they told me that I had to get it from the manufacture. I went to a different store and told them that I did not want the unit and not about the missing parts. Got refund and purchased microwave elsewhere.

I own two microwaves......

and BOTH of them have been under recall!!!:rant:

one is the samsung in the camper, and the other is the micro-vent from Sears

trickskier
01-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Where did you buy it at? Best Buy could take something back if you told them it was a late present and when you opened it it was that way. I hate to admit it but I have repurchased and returned in the past.
I hate to admit it, but I have done the same thing in the past........

trickskier
01-03-2007, 04:09 PM
here's another guy with Sony camera parts

dunno, what model you need, but he claims to be interested in buying your broken cameras:confused:

http://www.pechorin.com/m/2004/09/12/SONY_DSCT1_LCD_SCREEN_REPLACEMENT_PARTS-221252-14.html
Thanks Milk, I'll get the model # & get back to you.

milkmania
01-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks Milk, I'll get the model # & get back to you.

that'll teach them Japanese importing bastages!!!

:banana:

trickskier
01-03-2007, 04:12 PM
that'll teach them Japanese importing bastages!!!

:banana:
LOL....I hear ya!!! Sad part is I thought my daughter was mature enough not to purchase the insurance.......WRONG!!!:(

Jesus_Freak
01-03-2007, 04:24 PM
I hate to admit it, but I have done the same thing in the past........

:D So its you guys who keep the cost of goods 15% higher than they should be? :D

trickskier
01-03-2007, 04:27 PM
:D So its you guys who keep the cost of goods 15% higher than they should be? :D
No that's only small percentage. It's the pilferage and shoplifting that keeps the 15% in there. :D

kycat2007
01-03-2007, 05:29 PM
a oh no
I bought a product and parts were missing. I called and told them and they said they had nothing they could do. I asked to take the parts out of another box. No was the answer. I had electrician waiting to get put in. I just returned it because I could not wait for the parts to be shipped in. I say it was more lack of customer service.

Unless Tricks daughter did something to the screen and the product was faulty, I think the retailer should take it back without a extended warranty bought. Just good customer service in my opinion

flyingskibiker
01-03-2007, 05:50 PM
i have a canon "elf". i cracked the screen after about 6 months while sailing. i sent it back to canon get an estimate. they sent it back to me fixed free of charge!!! sweet! i hope they support my new 30D like that...

trickskier
01-03-2007, 05:51 PM
i have a canon "elf". i cracked the screen after about 6 months while sailing. i sent it back to canon get an estimate. they sent it back to me fixed free of charge!!! sweet! i hope they support my new 30D like that...
That would be NICE!!

Sodar
01-03-2007, 06:22 PM
That would be NICE!!

I believe your if you bought it with a credit card, you have a 90 day warranty. At least my parents did... Got a new surfboard for Christmas a few years ago, decided to go to Mexico for the weekend on a surf trip... board got stolen! Mom called up the credit card company, they refunded the money and I got another one! :D

Ryan
01-03-2007, 06:54 PM

How good is/was the camera? You could get a pretty good new point and shoot Sony for $180-225.

Rich_G
01-03-2007, 07:15 PM
check with your credit card company; mine offers 12 month insurance on this type of purchase. Of course, you had to make the purchase with the card. It's in the fine print, or even easier just call their customer service. Check with the store as well.

trickskier
01-03-2007, 09:01 PM
How good is/was the camera? You could get a pretty good new point and shoot Sony for $180-225.
This one was $300

trickskier
01-03-2007, 09:03 PM
I believe your if you bought it with a credit card, you have a 90 day warranty. At least my parents did... Got a new surfboard for Christmas a few years ago, decided to go to Mexico for the weekend on a surf trip... board got stolen! Mom called up the credit card company, they refunded the money and I got another one! :D

Thanks Sodar & Rich G, it was purchased with an AMEX so I'll check into.

Thanks to all who replied!

east tx skier
04-30-2007, 03:17 PM

Just wanted to relate my great customer service experience with my Canon Digital Elph S400. For the past few months, I'd started getting "memory card errors." A quick google of the issue led me to a Canon website saying that this problem had become common on that model. I sent an email to the address on the page and received a response within an hour requesting information, i.e., serial number, purchase date (for me 12/25/2003), name, etc. I sent that info in at 7 p.m. By 8 a.m., they had emailed me a UPS packing slip. I sent it off. I received several emails keeping me updated as to the status of my service. Today, I received my camera via fed ex in perfect working order and I was not out one red cent. I can't sing Canon's praises loudly enough.

phecksel
05-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Just wanted to relate my great customer service experience with my Canon Digital Elph S400. For the past few months, I'd started getting "memory card errors." A quick google of the issue led me to a Canon website saying that this problem had become common on that model. I sent an email to the address on the page and received a response within an hour requesting information, i.e., serial number, purchase date (for me 12/25/2003), name, etc. I sent that info in at 7 p.m. By 8 a.m., they had emailed me a UPS packing slip. I sent it off. I received several emails keeping me updated as to the status of my service. Today, I received my camera via fed ex in perfect working order and I was not out one red cent. I can't sing Canon's praises loudly enough.
Good to see a company standing up and doing the right thing.

flyingskibiker
05-01-2007, 07:52 PM
i cracked the LCD in my canon elph s500. sent it back to them. they sent it back fixed free of charge. i probably had it close to a year already... for cameras, i've always gone canon. glad i do!

TMCNo1
04-19-2009, 09:30 AM
I got a lens code on my Canon SD750 and when the lens did not completely retract after cutting off and when I did repower the camera after shutting it off, it would not come back on. Called Canon and got a shipping label from them, shipped it last Monday the 13th and it is due to arrive back to me by FedX tomorrow the 20th. One week turnaround and no charge, now that's service.

TMCNo1
04-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Got our Canon camera back today and it works like a charm. Canon came through again.

zberger
04-22-2009, 03:28 PM
for 180 bucks its probably cheaper to get a new camera....