PDA

View Full Version : Factory Style Bow Cover

JohnnyB
01-02-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm thinking about getting a bow cover for my PS197, mostly to keep the road grime and bugs out of the interior while trailering. Does anyone have the factory snap-on bow cover? How do you like it? Can you post pics....i've seen one, but never up close.

Also, my boat has a main accent color of Black, so I'm thinking of getting the cover and possibly a factory bimini in black. Can anyone comment on how black does resisting fade? I'll probably spray it with 303 Fabric Protectant annually.

east tx skier
01-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Not the exact same thing, but I had a walk through wind block made for my boat by a local upholstery dealer. From that, I learned that sunbrella is expensive. But it ended up working well.

123src
01-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Found this picture of mine... Had my local marine vinyl guy make it out of sunbrella last year. I can't comment much on durability, but I can say this was the best aftermarket add on I have. It makes such a difference for early morning and evening runs blocking that air rushing under the window.

georgea0731
01-03-2007, 08:49 PM
It turned out really good. I saw one on a promo boat, yellow, at Trophy Lakes. It gives the illusions that it's a closed bow. I've had mine on for 2 years, 3 summers and no real fading. I drove it 3 hours to the dealer and forgot to take it off so I then the wind loosen it up.
My only regret is when the cover is off, the snaps stick out and take away from the smooth lines on the fiberglass.
Good luck!
Can't seem to add pictures, but look at my boat/photos and you'll see mine installed. Let me know and I can email the pictures to you too.

dsoby
01-03-2007, 10:47 PM
I've got almost an identical set up as George above with the addition of a tonneau cover. Both are great for towing. The only drawback is the snaps all over the hull. I thought that I would use the bow cover more in cold weather but I just use the fabric walk-through cover to block the wind which allows me to use the open bow for storage (wet, drysuits and other cold weather stuff). I have used my OEM black bimini for 4 yrs now and it has not faded at all.

pflcjl
01-03-2007, 11:13 PM
a friend of mine came up with a good idea. when his tonneau cover is removed, he uses individual snaps with white caps on the snaps. These caps match the white deck of the boat and eliminate the looks of metal snaps on the deck

PendO
01-04-2007, 12:38 AM
a friend of mine came up with a good idea. when his tonneau cover is removed, he uses individual snaps with white caps on the snaps. These caps match the white deck of the boat and eliminate the looks of metal snaps on the deck

Interesting, never would have thought about that.

quincyfirefighter
01-04-2007, 01:24 AM
That's a great ideal. :cool:

Chief
01-04-2007, 06:01 AM

Where can you get those from? I hate the snaps all over my boat.

east tx skier
01-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Has anyone tried putting the snaps below the rubrail? Any problems with the cover rubbing on the boat with that setup? I assume it's so tight that it doesn't move, but figured it was worth asking.

dsoby
01-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Doug,
The factory cover is too narrow for the snaps to be mounted below the rubrail. I have not had any gelcoat damage trailering with the tonneau and bow cover on.

east tx skier
01-04-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the response. I figured it didn't. Has anyone made their own to snap under the rubrail?

BrianM
01-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the response. I figured it didn't. Has anyone made their own to snap under the rubrail?

I was going to ask the same thing. I have heard of people doing this but havent seen it. Would be a much cleaner install with the snaps all but hidden.

pflcjl
01-04-2007, 05:55 PM
i will try to get some info on where he got them. In fact, I think they are MC snaps because they have the "mc" embosed on them..Let me find out some more

JohnnyB
01-04-2007, 09:00 PM
It turned out really good. I saw one on a promo boat, yellow, at Trophy Lakes. It gives the illusions that it's a closed bow. I've had mine on for 2 years, 3 summers and no real fading. I drove it 3 hours to the dealer and forgot to take it off so I then the wind loosen it up.
My only regret is when the cover is off, the snaps stick out and take away from the smooth lines on the fiberglass.
Good luck!
Can't seem to add pictures, but look at my boat/photos and you'll see mine installed. Let me know and I can email the pictures to you too.

George,

Saw your pictures in the showroom area. I'm assuming that's the factory cover. Any tips/tricks to installing? Is there a template for the holes or is the cover the template?