PDA

View Full Version : Heater or Shower?

bkblaida
01-02-2007, 07:10 PM
We will be able to do one big project this year on the PS205. We are debating between a heater or a shower. We live and boat in the Illinois, Wisconsin area. I would welcome feedback on which you believe would be your first choice.

LQ9Lover
01-02-2007, 07:13 PM
My vote is for the HEATER - no question! The heater is easier to winterize plus I see too many showers get plugged up with the dirtier water found in the rivers and some lakes.

Kyle's_prostar205
01-02-2007, 07:31 PM
HEATER for sure!!!! If you need warm water fill a Igloo cooler with hot water before you leave and put it in the boat. The heater is the best way to go!:D ;)

TOO-TALL
01-02-2007, 07:32 PM
I have both and use the heater waaaaaay more.A shower is nice but, you will use the heater more.

JKTX21
01-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Both! I think I will add a shower if I do anything.

corey
01-02-2007, 08:28 PM
I'd go heater all the way. You'll get a lot more use out of it than a shower. We flip in on to stay warm after a late set or the occasional midnight cruise.

JohnnyB
01-02-2007, 08:33 PM
My :twocents:

I think a heater is more passenger friendly...it will appreciated by the non-skiing driver or spotter on a cold day.

However, in a boat full of skiers with dry suits, the shower is nicer for warming up hands, feet and head after coming out of the cold water.

I'm hoping to install both, but if I cut $$ and just do one, Iwill for sure do the shower as cold weather skiing season (spring or fall) is typically 3-4 guys with dry suits...once the dry suits are on, we typically don't take them off. They keep us warm and the warm hand/foot/head showers followed by toweling off and putting on knit hats, wool gloves, Sorrel boot liners (wool for your feet) keep the warmth in.

roddydog
01-02-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't know but if I had to,.............A heater I guess.

But doesn't the heat just fly out of the boat? Bit of a Newbie on the heater thing, gotta admit I don't really get it.
If we're on a PM cruise, all on board have a nice warm blanket or down throw (and a bit of Port).
If it's really cold after a set we're in side for a shower (and a bit of Port)
:rolleyes:

betsy&david Harrison
01-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I would go with the Heater also. Ours vents toward the passengers and another for the driver. It is great when you are cold or wet. B

Jerseydave
01-02-2007, 09:26 PM
They're both great to have. Heater works nice to warm the drivers feet, and the pull-out hose is good for a couple others who can get close under a blanket/towel with the hose underneath, really keeps you warm.

On the other hand, the shower is great for wetsuit rides.......just fill your suit up with hot water first before you ski/ride, then again after you ride to warm your body back up.

Shower is cheaper to buy. You could install some type of water filter on it to prevent it from clogging.
If you get a heater, try to find the one with 3 outlets.

beef
01-02-2007, 09:33 PM
3 outlet heater, for sure. We use ours even in the summer on cool evenings. Early/late in the season it will help convince your driver to go out!

WTRSK1R
01-02-2007, 09:50 PM
I have both, and if I had to choose, I would add the heater first. I would STRONGLY recommend getting the 3 outlet heater, not because of the extra outlet, but because it has a larger heat exchanger and throws a ton more heat. The 3 outlet heater is a 40,000 BTU output on high, and the 2 outlet is only 28,000. It is a significant difference. My friends boat has the 3 outlet, and I only have the 2 and you practically burn your feet at the output of his heater. The other thing I would recommend is getting the "Y" pipe for the heater return. It too makes a big difference in the heat output when the boat is at idle.

Steve

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Heater! It warms driver, passengers, and rider (once their set is done). I admit that wanting to spray down a wet neo shirt/shorty with a shower has crossed my mind many times, but I'd still go with the heater first.

JohnnyB
01-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Heater! It warms driver, passengers, and rider (once their set is done). I admit that wanting to spray down a wet neo shirt/shorty with a shower has crossed my mind many times, but I'd still go with the heater first.

All under the driver's seat?

How many are hot-tubes?

Can others post pics of where there heater outlets are....I am thinking of installing both.

JohnnyB
01-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Here's a thread for a shower install, including a part list....

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=9381&highlight=shower+install

Maybe it'll be useful for your future install.

I'm thinking of buying the pump off of ebay and the parts from Home Depot (maybe I'll get my wallet stolen :D ).

Does anyone know where to get the faucets like in this pic.....See #3 in this thread: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11624&highlight=shower+install

dapicatti
01-02-2007, 10:30 PM
We added both, used the heater much more than the shower at first, but at the end of the season it was the shower all the way.

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-02-2007, 10:44 PM

How many are hot-tubes?

Can others post pics of where there heater outlets are....I am thinking of installing both.

All at the drivers seat and all are hot tubes. I can hit anywhere in the boat.

TOO-TALL
01-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Can someone post a picture of were the "Y-pipe" goes on the motor.

Thanks.

mig
01-02-2007, 11:41 PM
My logic is; if you want to keep skiing in cold weather, a heater will keep a driver behind the wheel - a cooler full of hot water will warm a skiers hands until you get the shower in.

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Can someone post a picture of were the "Y-pipe" goes on the motor.

Thanks.

The Y-pipe goes between the intake thru hull and the raw water impeller pump. The base of the 'Y' faces towards the raw water impeller pump.

Check out the link in my signature. It'll take you to my boat's homepage. The heater install thread link is by the picture of the heater.

jpattigr
01-03-2007, 12:14 AM
Heater!!

Current boat only has heater which I added, last had both, enough said!:D

Eagle
01-03-2007, 01:10 AM
I have both and it's a total no brainer -- HEATER. The shower is rarely used and the heater almost all the time. I would not want a boat without a heater any more.

stevenm2
01-03-2007, 01:16 AM
My x 30 has a heater and we use it alot. the snorkle outlet is good stuff. put a towel over you and bring the snorkle up between your knees ( I know what you are thinking ) and you are warm and dry in no time. It's a great addition to a great boat.

Harvey
01-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Which one breaks more often? I have never seen a shower break, clog up maybe but break never. I have seen broken heaters. In addition if the driver isn't skiing (which they should be) they can wear warm clothes and thick socks. I have neither and really don't need them in Texas but if I was going to do one I would go with the shower.

sixysixss
01-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I have both and if I had to choose just one it would definitely be the HEATER!

Jesus_Freak
01-03-2007, 12:34 PM
You might want to turn this into a poll, but heater gets my vote.

jimmer2880
01-03-2007, 01:34 PM
I only have a heater and really want a shower. But, if I had to choose, I would say heater as well. Our heater is very frequently used. Not only does it heat, but when it's hot, shut off the supply & turn the fan on for some nice air movement behind the wheel. It really does make a difference.

captain planet
01-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Heater

I have a heater in my 98' 190 and use it more than I ever thought I would. One use for the heater that I haven't read here yet is when it is really hot out, the driver seat in a 190 without a step through window tends to get hot when going through no wake zones. I turn off the hot water to the heater and turn the heater on to circulate cool air across me while driving at idle. Really works nice.

My buddy had a shower on his old boat, rarely got used.

prostar205
01-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Hands Down - HEATER.

I have had a heater and shower in all of my MCs. I can't remember the last time I used the shower.

I use the Heater all the time.

RobertT
01-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Here is the deal, I think most would agree based on this thread.

I have both by the way, just added the shower last winter.

Short answer: The heater will be used much more often but will not impact your decision as to rather you will go out or not. The shower will be used very infrequently but will actually allow you to go out earlier in the spring and later in the fall.

Ok, now longer explanation. I use the heater all the time, even in the summer at night. The kids love it, and because we use our boat for cruising as much as anything else the heater gets used 20:1 over the shower. However, I have never looked down at my boat and said "its really too cold to go out today, but since I have a heater lets go". Nope, you wont say that.

On the other hand, when its truly cold out the shower is a lifesaver! Filling a wetsuit with hot water before you jump into the water is worth a million dollars the first time you do it. Having your young kids keep warm after they get out of the water has meant the difference between having to come in after a half hour and staying out with family all day. Trust me, it has.

The way I look at it, owning a boat is VERY expensive. Adding a shower allows us to use our boat at least three more weeks in the spring and the same in the fall. That is adding maybe 15% more boating time!!! Do the math, spending three hundred bucks is nothing when you factor in that!

Ever dreaded putting on that wet jacket for the second run of the morning when its 60 degrees out? Ever decided that you were already warm and didn't want to take one more set just to get cold again? With a shower, that doesn't happen. Heck, last fall we even went out surfing and used the shower to spray the kids while they were surfing. Probably didn't do anything, but perception is everything and they had a blast in 60 degree water.

Both are VERY solid investments, but if I had to choose I would go with the shower every time simply because it actually influences our decision rather or not to go out and have some fun. The heater is more like fluff, an extra cushy seat or really warm soft towel. Very nice to have, and you use it all the time, but without it its hardly a deal breaker.

Jesus_Freak
01-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Check out the link in my signature. It'll take you to my boat's homepage. The heater install thread link is by the picture of the heater.

Excellent link by the way. Why did you choose the ACU-HEAT 313 HC?

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Excellent link by the way. Why did you choose the ACU-HEAT 313 HC?

Thank you.

I had the space. It had the additional port (designated driver tube and 2 others, minimum, to spread around is nice) and higher capacity.

The first time I ever felt a heater on a boat I knew I had to have one. I have never gotten to use a shower, but I've wished for one many times after putting on a cold wet neo.

rick s.
01-03-2007, 04:08 PM
we have both a heater and shower on our boat, tho we use the heater less than the shower. Probably cause we live in California, and it's usually warm enough so that the heater is less important.

We use the shower alot both for warming up wetsuits (early and late season use) and adult playtime in the summer season.

RobertT
01-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Man, I am really missing something. People keep talking about the shower being great for "adult" things but I guess I screwed up my install because the water that comes out of the shower is plain old warmed lake water.....doesn't rinse off anything.

Good god, I must be a prude or something and naive.

Can anyone educate me, without getting banned???????

:)

Jesus_Freak
01-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Thank you.

I had the space. It had the additional port (designated driver tube and 2 others, minimum, to spread around is nice) and higher capacity.

The first time I ever felt a heater on a boat I knew I had to have one. I have never gotten to use a shower, but I've wished for one many times after putting on a cold wet neo.

So you just "extend" the tubes from the kick plate whenever you want to heat a location other than the driver? I guess there is no reasonable way to permanantly mount tubes reaching other distant parts of the boat.?.? I ask, because I have never pulled up the flooring or side panels in the PS205; I am new to this.

roddydog
01-03-2007, 04:37 PM
So, just to clarify, the cold water comes from the engine intake and the hot water is also from the engine just from the outflow, right???

trickskier
01-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Heater for sure. I rode in jcrosby's boat a couple of weeks ago and the heater was NICE!! Wish I had put one in mine now.

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-03-2007, 06:52 PM
So you just "extend" the tubes from the kick plate whenever you want to heat a location other than the driver? I guess there is no reasonable way to permanantly mount tubes reaching other distant parts of the boat.?.? I ask, because I have never pulled up the flooring or side panels in the PS205; I am new to this.

Yes and yes you can run the tubes different ways, but the 205V isn't as accomodating as other models may be...especially if mounting behind the driver's kick panel.

I chose there because I knew it was space that wouldn't otherwise be used and didn't want to make permanent holes in my fiberglass.

I rode in jcrosby's boat a couple of weeks ago and the heater was NICE!! Wish I had put one in mine now.

heh...that's the way it normally goes!

TOO-TALL
01-03-2007, 07:33 PM
The Y-pipe goes between the intake thru hull and the raw water impeller pump. The base of the 'Y' faces towards the raw water impeller pump.

Thanks for the pic....But I still don't understand how that setup works.If the Y-pipe is on the raw water pump intake hose how does the heater put out more heat at idle.I would think the y-pipe would have to be on a "warm water hose" coming off the engine say after the cold water cycles thru the block to get warm.
Am I wrong??

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-03-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't exactly know everything behind it, but the hole in the Y pipe tube coming from the heater core is only about 1/8" diameter (in my application). I theorize that this is creating a bigger 'suction' effect.

WTRSK1R
01-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Essentially, without the y-pipe, at idle there is very little water flowing through the heater core since there is not much pressure from the circulation pump in the engine until you increase the RPM's. The y-pipe actually draws water out the return side of the heater because of the suction of the raw water pump, and it pulls more hot water in from the engine. This creates an increase in water flow through the heater core, and keeps the air coming out of the heater hot.

Steve

TOO-TALL
01-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Essentially, without the y-pipe, at idle there is very little water flowing through the heater core since there is not much pressure from the circulation pump in the engine until you increase the RPM's. The y-pipe actually draws water out the return side of the heater because of the suction of the raw water pump, and it pulls more hot water in from the engine. This creates an increase in water flow through the heater core, and keeps the air coming out of the heater hot.

Steve

HMMMM.....Makes sense. One more question since I dont have the boat here.
The small dia hose on the y-pipe in the pic comes from the heater..where does it plug into on the motor without the y-pipe??
And did you see a noticable increase in heat with the y-pipe??

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-03-2007, 10:57 PM
The small dia hose on the y-pipe in the pic comes from the heater..where does it plug into on the motor without the y-pipe??

Here's the caption from my thread...
"After taking some of your advice and a water trial, I installed the Y-adapter. I pulled the valve and line coming off of the water pump housing and rerouted it (see picture below). The connection to the intake manifold remains the same. I put the Y-adapter between the raw water intake and the raw water impeller. The "Y" faces the raw water intake (faces towards thru hull)."

The attached picture shows where it WAS. It WAS the rear-most connection.

etakk7
01-04-2007, 01:05 AM
It plugs into the motor on the port side of the raw water intake I believe. When you install the Y pipe you put a threaded plug (I believe 1/2"?) into the hole.

If you want another picture of what the Y adapter looks like installed, see this thread: http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12565&highlight=fake+lake

Blair
01-04-2007, 01:40 AM
i can see benifits to both... we only have a heater in our boat and its always being used

if the water is cold to the point of wanting to use a shower before you hop in in a wet suit that means its drysuit time, but then again up here 70 degree water is downright balmy and the wetsuits dont go on unless the water is below 60 (or im feeling really wussy that day) the heater keeps the boat driver and passengers happy

shower on the other hand would be nice for the people that dont have a dry suit,

i dont know but i see more advantages for the heater than the shower

TOO-TALL
03-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Here's the caption from my thread...
"After taking some of your advice and a water trial, I installed the Y-adapter. I pulled the valve and line coming off of the water pump housing and rerouted it (see picture below). The connection to the intake manifold remains the same. I put the Y-adapter between the raw water intake and the raw water impeller. The "Y" faces the raw water intake (faces towards thru hull)."

The attached picture shows where it WAS. It WAS the rear-most connection.

Ok I got the boat out of storage and in the garage and want to install my Y-pipe but I'm confused on witch hose to remove.On my motor there is the hose that comes off the back of the motor by the belts and pulles. Then there is another hose on the right side of the engine under the exshuast riser. This hose has a shut off valve on it that looks like a garden hose shut off valve.It looks like the garden hose type shut off valve dumps the water back in the exshuast.

Do I remove the hose on the back of the motor by the belts and plug it into the y-pipe or remove the hose by the exshuast riser and plug it into the y-pipe?

Please help.......
Thanks.
This picture is not my boat....

bigmac
03-11-2007, 03:42 PM

How many are hot-tubes?

Can others post pics of where there heater outlets are....I am thinking of installing both.I'd definitely vote heater. My boat came with a two outlet HeaterCraft with a hot tube that uncoils out from the passenger bench and it had a fixed outlet under the dash on the kick panel. I just changed that fixed outlet to a hot tube for $15 or so - about a 10 minute install.

bigmac
03-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Ok I got the boat out of storage and in the garage and want to install my Y-pipe but I'm confused on witch hose to remove.On my motor there is the hose that comes off the back of the motor by the belts and pulles. Then there is another hose on the right side of the engine under the exshuast riser. This hose has a shut off valve on it that looks like a garden hose shut off valve.It looks like the garden hose type shut off valve dumps the water back in the exshuast.

Do I remove the hose on the back of the motor by the belts and plug it into the y-pipe or remove the hose by the exshuast riser and plug it into the y-pipe?

Please help.......
Thanks.
This picture is not my boat....
The Y pipe goes on the 1 1/4 inch hose between the raw water intake and the raw water pump inlet. The 5/8 fitting gets the return line from the heater core, which is the one connected to the circulating water pump on the front of the engine. You'll need some way of plugging that when you take the hose off. You can get a blank screw-in plug for that.

http://mccollister.info/yfitting.jpg

TOO-TALL
03-11-2007, 06:20 PM
The Y pipe goes on the 1 1/4 inch hose between the raw water intake and the raw water pump inlet. The 5/8 fitting gets the return line from the heater core, which is the one connected to the circulating water pump on the front of the engine. You'll need some way of plugging that when you take the hose off. You can get a blank screw-in plug for that.

http://mccollister.info/yfitting.jpg

Thanks,
Yeah I was just unsure as to witch 5/8 hose to unplug from the motor...now I know.

TOO-TALL

TOO-TALL
03-11-2007, 10:53 PM
I put the y-pipe on this afternoon.
Try it out in about three weeks.

TOO-TALL
03-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Here are some pics...The first pic you can see the Brass plug were the 5/8 return line used to go.

The second pic is of the Y-pipe installed. I ened up cutting about 3 feet of the 5/8 return line off so it could be connected to the y-pipe.