PDA

View Full Version : Salt Remover/Terminator

Bruce
12-31-2006, 12:10 AM
Anyone had experience with any of these salt remover products? I am going to put a flush kit on and was thinking of using the salt remover in the engine since I run in brackish water. Tried to do a search but did not find any info

east tx skier
12-31-2006, 02:01 AM
I think Rod was asking about that stuff earlier this year. Don't know if he ever did any further research on it. Don't think it was for salt in his case, but can't remember the specifics.

Chief
12-31-2006, 07:39 AM
Anyone had experience with any of these salt remover products? I am going to put a flush kit on and was thinking of using the salt remover in the engine since I run in brackish water. Tried to do a search but did not find any info

I have used "Salt Away" from West Marine and I think it's great. I use to run my Prostar in brackish all the time and used Salt Away and never saw any rust or corrosion.

Sodar
01-02-2007, 09:00 AM
I use Salt-Away like it is going out of style! The stuff is truly great. When we flush outboards, you can see salt chunks the size of peas come out through the lower unit... it is incredible. My uncle was having a problem with his port motor heating up on his Cigarrette last summer, I told him to try some of it, cured it right away... It also works great for just washing stuff down such as trailers, watersports gear and even fishing rods. We use it through the pressure washer to clean the big boat, but you need to use soap afterwords, because it tends to leave a slight haze behind.

Oh yeah, Salt Terminator is HORRIBLE... if you get anything, buy Salt Away. The Salt-Away, foams up ALOT more and seems to be alot more concentrated. I bought a gallon of the Salt Terminator, but ended up sticking it in the cabinent because it did not seem to do anything... when you use Salt-Away, you know you are using it!!

Bruce
01-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the input. Will use Salt-Away for sure. I guess my perko flush kit(still in the box) will tell me how to flush the engine with it.
By the way Sodar congrats on the trojan victory. Talk about dominant! Of course I went to the real USC. ie. Univ. of South Carolina. We were founded way before you guys however keep playing like that and we will gladly share the USC ident. (don't mind being USC Jr. do you?)
Happy New Year!

Sodar
01-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the input. Will use Salt-Away for sure. I guess my perko flush kit(still in the box) will tell me how to flush the engine with it.
By the way Sodar congrats on the trojan victory. Talk about dominant! Of course I went to the real USC. ie. Univ. of South Carolina. We were founded way before you guys however keep playing like that and we will gladly share the USC ident. (don't mind being USC Jr. do you?)
Happy New Year!
Don't mind being JR at all! I will never forget when I was applying to colleges and I went on to the University of South Carolina's website, thinking I was on the University of Southern California's website... The page that I went to check on my application status was very plain and had a small USC insignia and your colors are similar to my USC's... anyways, long story short the website said they never received my application, so I start freaking out, only to find out a few minutes later that I was on the wrong website!!!

Bruce
01-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Don't mind being JR at all! I will never forget when I was applying to colleges and I went on to the University of South Carolina's website, thinking I was on the University of Southern California's website... The page that I went to check on my application status was very plain and had a small USC insignia and your colors are similar to my USC's... anyways, long story short the website said they never received my application, so I start freaking out, only to find out a few minutes later that I was on the wrong website!!!

That was our loss and the Trojans gain. Having read a lot of you post I know you would have made a great Gamecock!

Ryan
01-02-2007, 02:33 PM
I have used three different salt fulsh/wash brands. I liked Salt Terminator and think it worked fine, but switched to Salt-A-Way and agree it seems more effective. Less spraying for equal results leads me to believe Salt-A-Way is working better in my engine. But my chemist friend thinks they have the same effect. The only thing I don't like about Salt-A-Way is the amount of suds that come out of the exhaust. Don't get me wrong it doesn't look like I dumped a jug of Dawn, there just seems to be more suds that Salt Terminator. That may be insignificant, unless like me, you flush and wash while double parked in the street surrounded by Eco activists.

Bruce
01-03-2007, 10:58 AM
I have used three different salt fulsh/wash brands. I liked Salt Terminator and think it worked fine, but switched to Salt-A-Way and agree it seems more effective. Less spraying for equal results leads me to believe Salt-A-Way is working better in my engine. But my chemist friend thinks they have the same effect. The only thing I don't like about Salt-A-Way is the amount of suds that come out of the exhaust. Don't get me wrong it doesn't look like I dumped a jug of Dawn, there just seems to be more suds that Salt Terminator. That may be insignificant, unless like me, you flush and wash while double parked in the street surrounded by Eco activists.

Thanks for info. I am heading to West Marine today to get some. You bring up something I had not thought about. I will be doing this in my boat slip and it will be going into the bayou. Is there an envrio problem here? If it is just salt residue I would not think so.

Sodar
01-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks for info. I am heading to West Marine today to get some. You bring up something I had not thought about. I will be doing this in my boat slip and it will be going into the bayou. Is there an envrio problem here? If it is just salt residue I would not think so.

We have never had an enviromental issue at all! We flush our motors at our slip and it just looks like you have washed the boat down with soap. No biggie!!

Ryan
01-03-2007, 11:12 AM

The bottle claims 100% biodegradable, 100% Non-Toxic, and 100% Non-hazardous.