PDA

View Full Version : Gauges

jsonova99
01-02-2005, 06:34 PM
I have two guages not functioning properly, my fuel guage and my oil pressure guage. The oil pressure guage is a bit erratic and the other day even showed zero oil pressure until I began to tap it, which I do not believe, the engine continued to run smooth and quiet all the way back to shore. My fuel guage is stuck showing 3/4 of a tank. When I shut the boat off it does drop to zero, and then shoots back to 3/4 when I turn the key, so it doesn't seem to be frozen. I'm wondering if both of my problems are related to sending units? Anyway, if anybody has any ideas on how to go about troubleshooting these two guages it would be greatly appreciated.

east tx skier
01-03-2005, 01:11 PM
I'd say the fuel guage is a sending unit problem, which is all too common.

jsonova99
01-03-2005, 06:00 PM
is that an easy part to replace? I'm assuming that it is on the tank itself, I see where I have two wires going into what looks like a sending unit on top. I'll see if I can get a new one.

Footin
01-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Two gauges at one time? I would be lookin for a bad ground.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Both problems are typical of your boat......went through them on mine as well.

I would suggest disassembling the sending unit and sanding or filing down the foam float. They tend to swell and get stuck in the tube that goes into the tank. The other possible problem is that the magnets that are glued in a slot of the float may have come out. If that is the case, use superglue to reattach them.

The oil pressure sending units tend to go out as well. I think the only solution there is to replace the unit. I'd suggest skidim.com for the new part.

jsonova99
01-03-2005, 11:46 PM
I was just looking at the gas tank in the boat, and what I see is what I'm guessing is the fuel pump with red and black leads going to it. Is this where the foam float and sending unit are located, too?