PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing Deck

theDano
12-30-2006, 01:50 PM
Hello All,

I have read that article written by Harold (I think that was his name) It described using various wet/dry sand paper grits etc to make your deck look like a piece of furniture.

Well to my question...

My Deck is actually in pretty good condition. I bought the boat last year and the previous owner started to sand it down (not really knowing what he was getting himself into) and he aborted. The result was that he took off some of the finish and then after stopping he just reapplied some oil onto the deck resulting with a 2 tone finish. Darker where he didn't sand and lighter where he sanded. So my question is this which is probably an obvious answer.... Do I need to strip the entire deck down to the bare wood (my thought is yes) using 400 grit? Seems like it will take an awful long time to do that with that grit. or do I get some stripper to strip off the old finish and then sand down with the 400 grit?

Then once I strip off the old finish then follow the steps described in the PDF document?

I want to do this correct and I know it will take a lot of patients and time but I want to at least get to where I need to be at the start before I go through all the steps.

Thanks so much......I am excited to post my before and after pics of my deck when I am through.

Regards,

TMCNo1
01-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Hello All,

I have read that article written by Harold (I think that was his name) It described using various wet/dry sand paper grits etc to make your deck look like a piece of furniture.

Well to my question...

My Deck is actually in pretty good condition. I bought the boat last year and the previous owner started to sand it down (not really knowing what he was getting himself into) and he aborted. The result was that he took off some of the finish and then after stopping he just reapplied some oil onto the deck resulting with a 2 tone finish. Darker where he didn't sand and lighter where he sanded. So my question is this which is probably an obvious answer.... Do I need to strip the entire deck down to the bare wood (my thought is yes) using 400 grit? Seems like it will take an awful long time to do that with that grit. or do I get some stripper to strip off the old finish and then sand down with the 400 grit?

Then once I strip off the old finish then follow the steps described in the PDF document?

I want to do this correct and I know it will take a lot of patients and time but I want to at least get to where I need to be at the start before I go through all the steps.

Thanks so much......I am excited to post my before and after pics of my deck when I am through.

Regards,

However you choose to strip the platform is really up to you, but stripping it will need to be done to get the platform back to all bare wood before you start the refinishing project. 400 grit will be a very slow process. I would suggest, getting a brush on chemical paint stripper, take it to the car wash or use a home pressure washer and brush on the stripper allowing enough time for it to work as the directions call for, then removing everything with a spray washer. Then with the wood bare, you can use a name brand teak cleaner, brightener, followed by the proper sanding and application of your choice of teak oils. I have used Starbrite Cleaner and Brightener and the Starbrite Teak Oil Sealer/Preserver in the White Bottle is my choice of teak oils. Others on TT use other brands and are satisfied with the results. The bottom line is you have to satisfy yourself based on what results you want to achieve. Be patient and good luck!
If I can be of additional help please feel free to PM any questions you may have. Harold Page