PDA

View Full Version : What's your MCs primary use??

JohnnyB
12-30-2006, 02:41 PM
After reading Waterski Mag's Boat Buyers guide, it seemed that the manufacturers are making very few Slalom/Barefoot boats, with their primary market being wakeboarders and family boats. This is starting to make me think as a footer and slalom skier, I'm becoming a fossil. So, even those this may have been done already, what's the primary use of your boat????

TOO-TALL
12-30-2006, 02:51 PM
Can you add Hydrofoiling to the poll??

Thanks

SkiDog
12-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Can you add Hydrofoiling to the poll??

Thanks

Yea, that too, but also extracting the breastiess!!!!!!!!!!:D

JohnnyB
12-30-2006, 03:09 PM
HELP --- How do I add a category to a poll after its posted. I'd like to ad hydrofoiling but don't know how to add poll options????

east tx skier
12-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Slalom. And driving it to the place to slalom.

Slinkyredfoot
12-30-2006, 03:13 PM
After reading Waterski Mag's Boat Buyers guide, it seemed that the manufacturers are making very few Slalom/Barefoot boats, with their primary market being wakeboarders and family boats. This is starting to make me think as a footer and slalom skier, I'm becoming a fossil. So, even those this may have been done already, what's the primary use of your boat????
I concur, It just seems to me anymore, everybody is wakeboarding, and it just seems not many want or even has a desire to learn how to barefoot or to become a good slalom skier. I have observed a few very good wakeboarders, but it just seems to me not very many can actually do a lot of great wakeboard "tricks", I know I can't and when I have tried to learn, I end up at a massage therapist for an extended stay.
Everbody could jump all over this comment but I truly feel the wakeboard fad will wane and at some point there will be something new come along and the boat mfgrs will follow suite
I do know this, any time any of my water ski buds want to go barefoot or slalom, they always want to go in my agile, quick out of the hole 79 Stars and Stripes.
Maybe I am old school, but I still get the biggest rush barefooting and slaloming.:twocents:

Leroy
12-30-2006, 03:26 PM
I think this site is skewed heavily to salom skiers, but the market data now says wakeboarding/skate boarding is dominate. My local dealer said he did not sell one 190 all of last year and is not carrying them anymore in stock.

JohnnyB
12-30-2006, 03:29 PM
I can understand not selling 190s anymore. With the advent of the 197 open bow, which has basically the same wake and performance as the 190, most folks will opt for the 197 automatically.

I have not confirmed, but rumor has it that bu isn't making the Response LX anymore, just the Response LXi.

Slinkyredfoot
12-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey Leroy, is your dealer Pine Crest in Fishers?

Leroy
12-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Yes, I stopped in about a month ago to drool over the new boats!

JohnnyB
12-30-2006, 03:40 PM
HELP --- How do I add a category to a poll after its posted. I'd like to ad hydrofoiling but don't know how to add poll options????

BUMP....need to add hydrofoiling but don't know how to.....

sludema
12-30-2006, 04:10 PM
This has been my dilema. I sold my closed bow due to my three girls who bring their friends. I need to make the jump to a v drive. We slalom and are learning to wakeboard.
Drove an X2, was embarrased how it handled. Felt like I was sitting on top of a step ladder when turning and taking off the way the bow raised and the thing rolled over on its side when turning.
Don't think MC wants my bus anymore because they seem dedicated to building wakeboard and recreational boats.

Best v-drive driven so far has been the Nautique SV 211, at least that handles close to a direct drive. Tige 22VE wan't bad either.

Might just buy a deckboat with an outboard and save $30k+!
Any suggestions?

Slinkyredfoot
12-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Yes, I stopped in about a month ago to drool over the new boats!
I stopped by on Wednesday to drool, they were closed:mad:

Rich_G
12-30-2006, 05:35 PM
I've got teenagers and did my best to get them interested in slalom, but more importantly, we pursued water sports as a family activity. They both learned to slalom as little kids, as well as footing, but wakeboarding is where it's at.

The "cool factor" is undeniable. Slalom is never going to be in the X-Games. My 18 y.o. son is at an advanced level; it's his passion, and he plans to compete at the club sport level when he goes off to college next year.

It is funny though, I live on a lake and see tons of high-end wakeboard boats, but very rarely see really good riders. My guess is that 90% of wakeboarders never land an invert. Maybe it's different in Florida, but it is more typical to see these $50K+ boats pulling kids on tubes.

Dawg
12-30-2006, 05:58 PM
The "cool Factor" Goes Hand In Hand With The Benjamins. That Is What The Bean Counters Are Telling The Builders.hence The Big V-drives. But These Old Dinosaur Bones Still Get A Rush On A Sweet Tumble A One Foot Slalom Or Rippin A Solid 22,28 Off At Sunrise. I Guess It's The Speed Part Where We Loose Our Compadres. But I Like The Results Of The Poll So Far

TMCNo1
12-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Slalom, trick, cruising, eating, drinking soft drinks, travel, fellowship, voluntary MC promotional purposes and boat owner reunions among other things.

bigmac
12-30-2006, 07:19 PM
.....I have observed a few very good wakeboarders, but it just seems to me not very many can actually do a lot of great wakeboard "tricks", I know I can't and when I have tried to learn, I end up at a massage therapist for an extended stay....

Everbody could jump all over this comment but I truly feel the wakeboard fad will wane and at some point there will be something new come along and the boat mfgrs will follow suite

Whoa!....deja vu...snowboards vs skiers in the mid 80's...;)

Leroy
12-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Went through that myself and now there are board only slopes....I much prefer to snowboard over snow skiing now.

Whoa!....deja vu...snowboards vs skiers in the mid 80's...;)

Ric
12-30-2006, 07:37 PM
I concur, It just seems to me anymore, everybody is wakeboarding, and it just seems not many want or even has a desire to learn how to barefoot or to become a good slalom skier. I have observed a few very good wakeboarders, but it just seems to me not very many can actually do a lot of great wakeboard "tricks", I know I can't and when I have tried to learn, I end up at a massage therapist for an extended stay.
I do know this, any time any of my water ski buds want to go barefoot or slalom, they always want to go in my agile, quick out of the hole 79 Stars and Stripes.
Maybe I am old school, but I still get the biggest rush barefooting and slaloming.:twocents: I wanna hear more about the extended stay at the massage therapist :popcorn:

jimmer2880
12-30-2006, 07:45 PM
For my '95 PS190:

In order:
1) Slalom
2) Family cruising
3) Barefoot
4) Kneeboard & trick skiis
5) Wakeboard
6) Wake Surfing

Manufacturers follow the buying trends. So, I am comfortable with the fact that I'll probably own my '95 for another 5-10 years before getting another newer slalom boat.

We will probably always be in closed bows for storage reasons. I hate to admit it, but I may end up putting a tower on our 190 just so we can ski, etc with more people in the boat once my girls start having friends over. Besides, barefooting longline from a tower is awesome I've been told. :D

Footin
12-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Mine is used for: Barefootin, wakeboarding and family boating.

Jerseydave
12-30-2006, 08:43 PM
This has been my dilema. I sold my closed bow due to my three girls who bring their friends. I need to make the jump to a v drive. We slalom and are learning to wakeboard.
Drove an X2, was embarrased how it handled. Felt like I was sitting on top of a step ladder when turning and taking off the way the bow raised and the thing rolled over on its side when turning.
Don't think MC wants my bus anymore because they seem dedicated to building wakeboard and recreational boats.

Best v-drive driven so far has been the Nautique SV 211, at least that handles close to a direct drive. Tige 22VE wan't bad either.

Might just buy a deckboat with an outboard and save $30k+!
Any suggestions?

Take a look at a DD with ballast, such as the X-9 (209) or the new 214. Should handle much better than the v-drives, more room than a 197 and still a good ski wake.
I love my v-drive 230VRS! The interior room is incredible! We don't do any serious slalom anymore, but it's good for rec. skiing and barefooting too.

C36
12-30-2006, 10:59 PM
I would have choosen "slalom AND wakeboard" if given the option. :(

In our family we have two who ski and two who wakeboard (including one who does both - me). But not having the option to vote for both I based my "wakeboard" vote on the number of hours we spending pulling each: and wakboarding gets most of our hours. :o

Having said that we purchased the best slalom boat within (our budget) that was also a descent wakeboarding boat. We have been VERY pleased with our "new to us" MasterCraft! :)

Monte
12-30-2006, 11:06 PM
I mainly wakeboard, but I'll pull just about anybody on just about anything... As long as I get my runs in:cool:

Getting out with the family is a biggie too :)

JohnnyB
12-31-2006, 12:25 AM
I would have choosen "slalom AND wakeboard" if given the option. :(

In our family we have two who ski and two who wakeboard (including one who does both - me). But not having the option to vote for both I based my "wakeboard" vote on the number of hours we spending pulling each: and wakboarding gets most of our hours. :o

Having said that we purchased the besting slalom boat within (our budget) that was also a descent wakeboarding boat. We have been VERY pleased with our "new to us" MasterCraft! :)

How do I edit to add more options????

You can vote for more than one in the same vote....

jlf
12-31-2006, 12:27 AM
We also tried to by the best crossover boat we could find. I love to slalom and I enjoy wakeboarding. My husband pretty much wakeboards and plays with the wakeskate. We aren't hardcore anything so we would be included in the group of people that have the big expensive new boat but can't land a cool invert. I am okay with that, we based our decision mainly on quality and function. I learned to barefoot this summer and I loved it so now our boat will be used for

wakeboarding
slalom skiing
wakeskating
barefooting
tubing
cruising the river
skiing on the old doubles
I think the only toys we don't have are a surfboard and an air chair!!

jlf
12-31-2006, 12:27 AM

I am not sure if you can edit a pole once it's started.

rstitson
12-31-2006, 01:42 AM
We purchased the expensive x-15 2007 to pull my son on a wakeboard and to learn how to solom. But the solom comes second.Our current boat 17 ft glastron is working to hard to pull my 6'-2" 190 lb and growning 14 year old. I will be learning to wakeboard/solom this summer at the age of 50+...(got to keep it fresh). The biggest deal for us is family fun and cruising lakes that range from small to very large. Tubing has been voted down. We definitely are in the group of beginners with a big toy. Like another poster build quality, reputation, and design are what made the decision for us.. Correct craft layout lacked simplicity/clean design compared to Mastercraft; and all others couldn't standup to build quality.

suedv
12-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Our boat is used for most anything, but tubes. We are really into show skiing so a lot of the time out on the lake is doing things they would do in shows. Our son barefoots a lot. We do around the boat. When out with Rick's brother's family we sometimes do little pyramids (5-6 people up behind our 190). We give my niece rides on her swivel ski. Ben likes to use a slalom ski and he has very good control, but we don't have a course so he just does it free ski style. We have a wakeboard that gets used sometimes when friends come along or when the water is choppy from too many boats. The wakeboard and combo skis are somethig to do while waiting for better water. As I said a little of this and a little of that.

We don't have a tower on our boat, but we use a hylon that we got from our friend Karl Walters. We have a boom to teaching people to barefoot and we've borrowed a pin release before and are getting one for our own boat this summer. We really like the flexibility of things we can do with our 190.

I like to sit in the boat and take pictures. For me that is a ski out. :)

JohnnyB
12-31-2006, 10:08 AM
Our boat is mainly slalom and barefoot. My nephew is a great wakeboarder (was doing inverted arials behind his dad's Glastron) who I got into footin'. Our morning sets on the 120 acre lake are typically:

1) Barefoot (double deepwater to share the first morning glass between me and my nephew)
2) Several barefoot runs (nephew and I alternate)
3) slalom runs for everyone in the boat (now niece and brother-in-law get involved).
4) When another boat hits the water (calm water is over) my nephew gets his wakeboard out for a lap (inverted arial time).

Then we turn the water over to the other boat/boats and go eat breakfast.......

About mid-day when there's a good bit of chop and wally action, we'll pull the kids on two 3 person tubes and/or do some wakeboarding.

Quite often one or two other early morning boats that comes out are footers and we'll all meet at one end of the lake to either trade off on runs, or agree to all get into one boat. That way we're not fighting for calm water.

ilikeitglacy
12-31-2006, 10:22 AM
slalom and wakeboard 50 to 60 hours a year, then familly and kids stuff (like kneeboarding after they've skied once)for another 50 hours a year. i have to had barefoot as my older son began dropping the ski last year.(in fact he never missed an attemp on 22 trys, and still counting)

ecelis
12-31-2006, 11:46 AM
Slalom boats are for hard-core slalom-only...
Wakeboard boats can be used for hard-core wakeboarding, any toy, cruising, socializing... name it. That is why they are so popular.

Wakeboarding is a social sport, while slalom is an individual sport. For slalom you only want to have the driver and the observer in the boat, preferably not to heavy, so it does not mess up the small wake.
For wakeboarding, you load the boat up with as many people that want to come.

I like slalom and wakeboard, but I would have a closed bow slalom boat if my son had not been bit by the wakeboard bug. Now that we have the big-wake-boat he brings his friends and we have a great time. Otherwise he would find someone else with a big wake and I would be slaloming by myself...

bigmac
12-31-2006, 12:01 PM
We use our boat for all manner of water recreation and selected a 230VRS for the things we use it for - towing stuff. What we tow depends on the particular group on any given day, but mostly it's tubes, hydrofoil, kneeboard. We pull skiers only occasionally and rarely a wakeboard. The wake of this big Maristar is more than adequate for the casual skiing that anyone around here does, and is WAY better for slalom than the I/O we had before. A direct drive would have been counterproductive for our needs - we'd hate to give up the huge amount of room a V-drive affords, especially since we don't need the flat wake. I'm sympathetic to those of you that need your boat with a wake appropriate to widely disparate activities like wakeboarding AND slalom skiing - that would make boat selection difficult and would probably necessitate significant compromise.

liledgy
12-31-2006, 12:23 PM
We use are boat for course skiing and free skiing when my kids bring their friends. Owning a MC for over 23 years I'm partial to the barebones all busines slalom boat. When my son started course skiing he could not get enough, seeing his face the first time getting all 6 bouys was priceless. I think many slalom skiers feel Wakeboardering is for people that can't ski the course ( I know thats not all true). being on a private lake we don't have the problems other property owners have when large wakes shake your boat around when tied to the dock. No question wakeboarding is the craze these day, we just prefer comp. skiing.

dapicatti
12-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Slalom boats are for hard-core slalom-only...
Wakeboard boats can be used for hard-core wakeboarding, any toy, cruising, socializing... name it. That is why they are so popular.

Wakeboarding is a social sport, while slalom is an individual sport. For slalom you only want to have the driver and the observer in the boat, preferably not to heavy, so it does not mess up the small wake.
For wakeboarding, you load the boat up with as many people that want to come....

This is exactly why we bought ours. We are never going to be the best wakeboarders on the water, but we have taught tons of kids and family members to enjoy the sport. Will they ever do inverts? Probably not. Are they having fun with the family and friends? Absolutely.

I know there are many slalom guys here, but don't forget that its about fun in the water. Doesn't matter how it happens.:cool:

TOO-TALL
12-31-2006, 01:37 PM
My MC is mainly used for Skyskiing.
I have only pulled a tuber once and the only time I pull wakeboarders is on vacation and they are my buddys kids thats not to say Wakeboarders are not invited.I'll take anyone out I don't care what you ride as long as were on the water having a good time.I do agree that there are alot of salom skiers on this board ....thats cool I'm a salom skier from back in the day.You salom guys have some really nice looking boats.

bigmac
12-31-2006, 02:05 PM
.....I think many slalom skiers feel Wakeboardering is for people that can't ski the course ( I know thats not all true).

LOL. Slalom skiing isn't very big around here, but I know a couple of people who enjoy course skiing and I've heard them say that same thing... OTOH, I've heard others say that they prefer hydrofoiling or wakeboarding because they have a relatively low threshold for boredom..;)

Either way, it's about getting out on the water and having fun - that's what counts.

TMCNo1
12-31-2006, 02:09 PM
And from time to time, we have used the boat secondly as a tow truck for other brands, never towed in a MC though, wonder why?

Cary K.
12-31-2006, 02:09 PM
My MC is used almost solely for Wakeskating, but we do surf occasionally. I still pull some of my bros that wakeboard, and maybe a couple of times a year someone will bring out a SkySki.

bigmac
12-31-2006, 02:20 PM
My MC is mainly used for Skyskiing.
I have only pulled a tuber once and the only time I pull wakeboarders is on vacation and they are my buddys kids thats not to say Wakeboarders are not invited.I'll take anyone out I don't care what you ride as long as were on the water having a good time.I do agree that there are alot of salom skiers on this board ....thats cool I'm a salom skier from back in the day.You salom guys have some really nice looking boats.

The kids in our extended family love tubing - they'll go all day so we do a lot of that. I try to get out hydrofoiling several times a week - best time of day is sunset and after. Unfortunately, I'm the only hydrofoiler on our lake - in fact I might be the only hydrofoiler in central Minnesota;) . I get a lot of crap from my ski buddies for my 40 minute runs compared their 5 minute slalom or 10 minute wakeboard runs.

ecelis
12-31-2006, 05:03 PM
... I think many slalom skiers feel Wakeboardering is for people that can't ski the course ( I know thats not all true)...
We are on a private lake as well.
My son runs the slalom course behind the X-star at 34mph, 15 off. Which I consider exceptional as he is unable to keep the ski in the water after the wake crossing. And that is without ANY slalom practice at all. He also runs the course on a wakeboard at 24mph, long line :)

Of the regulars on our lake we now have 4 slalom boats (of which one with a tower) and two wakeboard boats. But 75% of the time a boat is on the water it is for wakeboarding.

sludema
12-31-2006, 08:15 PM
thanks for the advise, yes I had my eye on a a used X10 as thought that might be a good compromise. Don't really know what to expect with the X14. Might try a BU V drive as well, but am concerned about build quality.

André
12-31-2006, 10:37 PM
Might try a BU V drive as well, but am concerned about build quality.
...And you should!;)

JohnE
01-01-2007, 02:56 AM
I use my boat for slalom, wakeboarding (just learning) and boating in that order. If not for slalom, i'd probably have an I/O;) jk

bigmac
01-01-2007, 11:13 AM
I use my boat for slalom, wakeboarding (just learning) and boating in that order. If not for slalom, i'd probably have an I/O;) jk

IMHO, the thing that makes my Maristar a superior tow boat compared to virtually any I/O I've ever experienced is its engine/transmission and its throttle precision. Most I/O require too much throttle-jockeying to be consistently usable as tow boats, especially for low speed towing like hydrofoils or wakeboards.

skeeler
01-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Wakeboarding by day, night club by night. :D

Harvey
01-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Maybe I am old school, but I still get the biggest rush barefooting and slaloming.:twocents:

I agree with you that there is a huge rush in barefooting and even in cutting bouys even at the full rope length but you get that same rush the first time you land a new trick on a board even if it is not an invert or spin. A simple butterslide can be a rush for a new rider. My generation and even younger generations have been riding through life on a board sideways so that is what they will continue to do. Skateboarding was a big thing in my younger years in the mid to early 80s. There were kids EVERYWHERE riding skateboards trying to be the next Tony Hawk. That transformed into snowboarding and now wakeboarding. I wouldn't bet on wakeboarding waning if you could even call it a fad. My generation likes to ride through life standing sideways.

I also agree that most of the people out there will never land an invert and likely not even try one but that doesn't mean that they are not going to continue wakeboarding. Wakeboarding is truly a lifestyle (even if you never land an invert), just like family boating or 3 event sking or barefooting. The friends in the boat with a cold drink, good music, a beautiful day with calm water and a little bit of physical activity that brings a little excitement to the relaxing and refreshing time you are having on the lake. You may be right that one day there will be a new watersport to emerge and take the throne but I think that is a long way off.

I have a huge respect for you barefooters and sky skiers. You guys are a little crazy but I can relate since I am trying HS and TS 360s as well as tantrums and Scarecrows. I even have great respect for the family boaters, 3 eventers, and you bouy chasers. The reason behind my respect is our mutual love for the outdoors, the water, a beautiful warm summer day with a sheet of glass in front of us, a cooler full of cold drinks, surrounded by our friends and families. We are really all lovers of boating and the experience of it. Some of us choose to enjoy it in different ways but in the end we all really are there for the same reasons. Thank you...I will be here all week. :D

etakk7
01-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Primarily, we use our boat for kneeboarding and wakeboarding. Kneeboarding is obviously a nearly dead sport, but I have hooked up with a group of riders here in Minnesota that can do more wake tricks on a kneeboard than people could ever believe. Seeing the reaction from other boats is priceless. Surfing, skiing, and tubing are all secondary, but we do everything. Even the sumo tube!!

bigmac
01-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Primarily, we use our boat for kneeboarding and wakeboarding. Kneeboarding is obviously a nearly dead sport, but I have hooked up with a group of riders here in Minnesota that can do more wake tricks on a kneeboard than people could ever believe. Seeing the reaction from other boats is priceless. Surfing, skiing, and tubing are all secondary, but we do everything. Even the sumo tube!!

I congratulate you on making optimum use of your boat - whatever it takes to have fun on the water, as opposed to some boat owners (certainly, no one here) who feel their boat has one specific purpose and that to use it for anything else is sacriligious. Why, I saw one boating forum once, where there was a palpable gasp when one guy announced that he sometimes used his Prostar 197 for towing his kids on tubes. Imagine...

JKTX21
01-02-2007, 03:58 PM
I use my boat for wakeboarding, but would try a slalom if someone brought one on my boat, I'd probably try anything at least once.

I guess I am not part of the shameless "Own-a-$50K-boat-and-can't-do-an-invert" group, but hope to be someday!

RobertT
01-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Answering this was difficult. Really. We go out one day a week, sometimes two, and make the first two runs on a slalom ski, then finish up wake boarding. I have never been on a course, and never will. I suck. I have been upside down with a wake board a few times, but can say without hesitation that my head/neck were underwater at the time and it didn't go good. Probably wont get better either.

Mornings are probably 20% of the hours put on my boat.

The other 80% is spread out all over the place. I cannot even guess. Week nights, and most early afternoons are always either pulling kids on wakeboards or pulling tubes. Only my 4 year old skis on doubles, the other kids only put them on to goof around. I would say that we pull wakeboarders 30% of the total hours placed on the boat, with slalom being 2-4%. Wakesurfing 8%, about twice the time as slalom.

I pull the neighbors on their kneeboards several hours a year, and probably barefoot a grand total of about 5-6 miles a year.

When we have company tubes are the normal standby, although I hate them with all of my heart and soul. Still, when people come over that is the best way to get them into the water and having fun.

Sure, I would love to teach everyone to ski or wakeboard but when ten people come over its not realistic in any way. I just stick with the tube and kick everyones butt so they dont ask for it again.

I would say that at least half of the hours put on my boat are cruising. Sometimes between sets we just take a drive, 30mph cutting through the water is a beautiful thing. 4-5 times a week during the summer I go down after work with a few beers and jump in my boat for a quick cruise around the lake. I am just relaxing, seeing who is out and about. I absolutely love putting the family in my boat at dusk and cruising over to my parents house to say hello. One of my favorite things.

All in all, as you can see, we only slalom a few hours a year.

I think that my use is probably pretty consistent with the norm. Certainly not the normal on this site which is full of passionate skiers, but I think the average consumer comes much closer to my usage pattern which is why the market is going to Vdrives.

As lakes get more crowded, water conditions are going to get worse. I think the trend in watersports will be towards things that can be done in a variety of water conditions. Wakeboarding is certainly not a fad, but may be overtaken in the future by something else but odds are that it will be something that needs to be done behind a boat that can take crap water and turn it into something useful for a watersports enthusiast. Look at surfing, as an example.

Flame away, but if I had to guess in 50 years the big three may not be making slalom ski tournament boats at all. Much like the barefoot boats (Extreme, etc) you will have to buy them from a company that only make a few per year and the quality is not what we are used to today.

Maybe I will be wrong, but I see 0% of the kids on my lake begging to get up at 5:00am and slalom ski in lieu of wakeboarding with their buddies after school. They are the boat buyers in 2025. We will be buying boats that can fit all the grand kids.

DooSPX
01-02-2007, 06:46 PM
slalom only!

Sodar
01-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I use my PS 190 exclusively for pulling the banana boat!! WHAT?!?!? It's fun..... :P
http://www.comfortchannel.com/images/rave_waterboggan_5_H.jpg

Just Kidding! I slalom with her!

Chitownskier83
01-02-2007, 06:54 PM
I am 23 and all I do is foot and slalom. Like many of you guys said the rush you get from ripping bouys at any length or just a real nice carve on some open water are hard to find in any other watersport. Maybe if you throw some nasty wakeboarding trick you might get a good rush but a 360 doesn't do it for me. My family doesn't even own a wakeboard so maybe that is what has kept me faithful. When I look around my lake at 7am all I see is fishermen. Also there is only one other boat on our part of the lake that skis regularly. It's sad to see, but everyone is out with the family tubing and such. I have had a hard time finding ski buddies on the lake in Northern WI. Slaloming and footing never made that jump from a niche sport that wakeboarding has. It's not quite mainstream but it's pretty damn popular.

Any one see anything the two sports did differently to promote popularity to the general public?

TOO-TALL
01-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I The reason behind my respect is our mutual love for the outdoors, the water, a beautiful warm summer day with a sheet of glass in front of us, a cooler full of cold drinks, surrounded by our friends and families. We are really all lovers of boating and the experience of it. Some of us choose to enjoy it in different ways but in the end we all really are there for the same reasons. Thank you...I will be here all week. :D

TRU DAT......:D :D

C36
01-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks for setting this one up - it made for good reading! :)

I thought of this only after I voted - and then the system wouldn't accept a second vote. :o

Don't have an answer for this - I went back and looked at a poll I had set up and could not find a way - as JLF said, might not be possible.

JKTX21
01-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Any one see anything the two sports did differently to promote popularity to the general public?

In my opinion (I have never been on a slalom or barefoot), I think wakeboarding is probably easier to teach people that tag along on your boat and some people get hooked immediately to the sport. Every now and then I will see a foiler or someone slaloming early in the morning, but wakeboarding is pretty big down here.

Slinkyredfoot
01-02-2007, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=Harvey]I agree with you that there is a huge rush in barefooting and even in cutting bouys even at the full rope length but you get that same rush the first time you land a new trick on a board even if it is not an invert or spin. A simple butterslide can be a rush for a new rider. My generation and even younger generations have been riding through life on a board sideways so that is what they will continue to do. Skateboarding was a big thing in my younger years in the mid to early 80s. There were kids EVERYWHERE riding skateboards trying to be the next Tony Hawk. That transformed into snowboarding and now wakeboarding. I wouldn't bet on wakeboarding waning if you could even call it a fad. My generation likes to ride through life standing sideways.

I also agree that most of the people out there will never land an invert and likely not even try one but that doesn't mean that they are not going to continue wakeboarding. Wakeboarding is truly a lifestyle (even if you never land an invert), just like family boating or 3 event sking or barefooting. The friends in the boat with a cold drink, good music, a beautiful day with calm water and a little bit of physical activity that brings a little excitement to the relaxing and refreshing time you are having on the lake. You may be right that one day there will be a new watersport to emerge and take the throne but I think that is a long way off.

I have a huge respect for you barefooters and sky skiers. You guys are a little crazy but I can relate since I am trying HS and TS 360s as well as tantrums and Scarecrows. I even have great respect for the family boaters, 3 eventers, and you bouy chasers. The reason behind my respect is our mutual love for the outdoors, the water, a beautiful warm summer day with a sheet of glass in front of us, a cooler full of cold drinks, surrounded by our friends and families. We are really all lovers of boating and the experience of it. :D :D :D

Leroy
01-02-2007, 07:52 PM
I fully agree with you Robert, and my kids will not get up at 6AM or 7AM to go skiing! I think someone had better invent a deep V ski! THe water keeps getting worse and worse and more crowded. My kids will go in the evening, but the water is always so bad it isn't worth it......unless you tube!

Maybe I will be wrong, but I see 0% of the kids on my lake begging to get up at 5:00am and slalom ski in lieu of wakeboarding with their buddies after school. They are the boat buyers in 2025. We will be buying boats that can fit all the grand kids.

whitedog
01-03-2007, 01:17 AM
My kids and a couple of their friends may be the exception to early
AM sets. :cool: Both will get up early for a 45 min drive to the river. Two of us barefoot, and we all ski, no wake board in the boat and after trying no one has a desire to learn. My daughter also swivel skis and my son jumps, no coarse skiing as we do not have one on the local river or I am sure we would. So my boat spends 1/3 of the time pulling footers, 1/2 the time with salom or some type of skiing or pulling jumpers the rest is just cruising after skiing. :)

Bruce
01-03-2007, 01:44 AM
With kids ,grandkids, in laws etc. We pretty much do it all. If it floats there is somebody in this family that will ride it (footin also). What I did not know until I read the other post is that I can't do all this with my Maristar 230VRS. I need a boat for each specialty! Please don't tell my family and friends. They think they are having good wholesome fun!

Rallyspitman
01-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Any boat we've ever owned gets used for anything..... 3 foot wooden disc with a deckchair and newspaper anyone?!?!? (Yes...Really!)

ridehype4life
01-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Wakeboarding and a little bit of wakeskating when the water is calm, wakesurfing when the wind picks up...

pram
01-03-2007, 05:55 PM
If I was to count up the actual time that the boat is in the water the majority of it would be for family rec. There is lots of time spent on the water that isn't burning gas. Now if you are talking about actual time that the motor is running it is more for skiing.

tex
01-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Jumping, footing, foiling, boarding, and looking at the sights!

Marcos
01-06-2007, 05:02 PM
My '97 PS190 will be used for everything, as I will exploid it commercially.
However, my first love will be slalom, same for my wife. I do board, but I will be the first to put it here:
I'm probably too old to learn any fancy tricks on a wakeboard!!:)
So, there it is. I've been around this forum just shortly, but as far as I can judge, I think a lot of you guys where on a narrow tail long before any thought of a skurfer....This means you at least my age.;)
Anyway, I like the good things wakeboarding has brought the entire sport and also love too watch a good rider. But, as been said here before, a lot of spoiled kids ride behind a 50K+ boat and don't even land a 180 w-t-w. A wakeboardboat is very practical, but drives like an old cow:( It's very hard to explain kids that they first need to learn to jump on a moderate wake from a DD boat instead of being thrown in the air without any effort on a tsunami size wake of a V-drive....

TX.X-30 fan
01-06-2007, 06:43 PM
FUN!!!!!!!

JKTX21
01-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Yeah yeah, keep ragging on the wakeboarders. I'm glad some of my beginner/intermediate level friends have wakeboats, means I don't have to shell out for one. I learned to wakeboard behind an '87 PS 190, and my '96 will throw a mean wake with a bunch of weight in it, I seriously doubt I will ever "outgrow" the wake of my boat.

87 TriStar 190
01-07-2007, 02:16 PM
In order; Slolom, Barefoot, Wakeboard, Pull my daughter on her Swivel, Tubes, Swim off the platform, Evening Cruises. Anything else that comes along and looks fun. A typical evening is a slolom run, then a wakeboard run, then use the last good water for barefoot. When it starts getting dark, we pull out the snacks and drinks and idle back to the dock and have some good laughs. I love summer.