PDA

View Full Version : Please Read This

east tx skier
12-29-2006, 07:16 PM
When I first logged on to a site somewhat resembling this one three years ago, I was very happy to find a place where I could learn about the boat I'd just bought. Since then, this site and its predecessors have been a wealth of information for me, and I'm glad to say, in some instances, friendship. I've tried to pass on what I've learned.

More recently, I was asked to moderate this forum. I've tried to tread lightly in that department, though I know that some may think I've failed in that.

More recently still, this place, once a wealth of information and a hub of comradery, has given rise to one flame war after another. Somewhere in the mix, some users have decided it was okay to bash others, make them feel unwelcome, and just act unfriendly. Additionally, there has been much talk of banning other users. Some took it as a joke and it has grown to the point where it is difficult to tell the difference.

I have not said this soon enough. But it needs to stop. Among some suggested posting guidelines is the following:

Mean-spirited conduct. You be nice! What's more, be respectful of your fellow Team Talkers. Does this mean you can't argue. Of course not. People argue and pick on each other all the time around here. Many of these people know the people on which they're ripping personally t'boot. Just use common sense. Don't threaten people. Don't be a total jerk all the time. If you are, don't get offended if someone tells you you are either. Try to work things out with the person though. If that doesn't work, please PM the moderators to see if it falls under our purview.

In not enforcing this loosely crafted rule, I have failed to properly moderate this forum. For that, I apoligize.

I would add to that that none of us needs to declare that another user ought to be banned. Not me as a moderator. Not any of us. The site owner may make that decision as it deems necessary. The rest of us would be wise to just try to make sure such an occurrence doesn't befall us.

Be mindful of this guideline in your future interactions, postings, and other activity here on Team Talk.

As a result of all this nonsense lately, we have lost some long time contributors to Team Talk. Some went out with a bang. Some PM'd me their goodbyes. Others slipped out quietly. I gave consideration to being among the latter. I hope things can improve around here in the future.

Ric
12-29-2006, 07:32 PM
okay Dad I fixed my avatar

jimmer2880
12-29-2006, 07:33 PM
:toast:

couldn't have said it better myself.

Maristar210
12-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Doug,

I was typing something similar although not as well written as yours in a response to my most recent thread...

Well said sir, well said.

Steve

RIC - Play nice or I'll turn you back into a shiela

east tx skier
12-29-2006, 07:49 PM
I got a PM from JimN while I was trying type that. He was getting at something similar, but what he had to say was ten times more eloquent than what I said (and it somehow made my boat run better, too).

They really ought to consider making that guy a moderator.

bcampbe7
12-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Well said Eastie...

I have been out-of-pocket for a while now. I too apologize.

Jesus_Freak
12-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Thank you ETS.

Ric
Well said Eastie...

I have been out-of-pocket for a while now. I too apologize. This whole mess really is the fault of you moderators

DooSPX
I do agree with you Doug... it has become bad....

SkiDog
12-29-2006, 08:02 PM
I got a PM from JimN while I was trying type that. He was getting at something similar, but what he had to say was ten times more eloquent than what I said (and it somehow made my boat run better, too).

They really ought to consider making that guy a moderator.

I happened upon this site while looking for the perfect boat. I knew the minute that I found it, it was gonna be something special, and it is! (Just ask my wife, she HATES it!) I really hope we can all get along from this point foward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really hate whats happening here, but I think it can be saved!

Hoosier Bob
12-29-2006, 08:25 PM
I obviously go off on some tangents and I am responsible for the recent influx of "Ban Rod" avatars but I in no way would wish to ban anyone. The sign you see is me and I was making fun of how obsurd it was/is to call for the banning of Rod. I love this site but as of late have not been afforded the time to hang out here. I do not get it. I come here to hang out and have fun(drink lots and lots of beer). When my boat is stored for the winter I speak of many things. Sorry it is 12 degrees and I am thinking about what I can do in 12 degree weather! Dirt bikes, mountain bikes, drinking or what have you. We have much in common other than MC. I as well have been to other boards and read the Gray Poupon lable. Anyone here ever see what the guests are reading? Check it out some time it is the "Springer!" We are a very diverse group that love many things! MasterCraft, Fast cars, Hot Bodies and BAD ARSE MOTORCYCLES! I will say this one more time as it is from a previous thread! THIS SITE HAS MADE BOATING FOR ME MORE AFFORDABLE, PLEASUREABLE, ENJOYABLE AND HAS INCREASED THE FREQUENCY TWO FOLD!!! Without this site I would have many fewer boat buddies, thirds and serious 5 AMers!!

Oh yeah, don't diss my site, I take ownership! It is like calling my brother a bad name.

HB

TMCNo1
12-29-2006, 08:31 PM
I happened upon this site while looking for the perfect boat. I knew the minute that I found it, it was gonna be something special, and it is! (Just ask my wife, she HATES it!) I really hope we can all get along from this point foward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really hate whats happening here, but I think it can be saved!

Skidog, I just love you!:rolleyes: :D ;)

Sodar
12-29-2006, 08:39 PM
I think it is all because we got rid of the Hoosier Thread and The Original Swimsuit Thread... it made us go a little to crazy! Just Kidding!

On a serious note, no one needs to be banned. I think some people are a little more abrasive than others and rather than just leaving that person alone, they provoke that person. I have had a problem with one of our prominant TeamTalkers and he has had a problem with me, but you do not see us bashing each other on a daily basis. I guess what it comes down to is we all need to become more aware of one another, while also growing a thicker skin and just ignoring those who push our buttons. Along with the great stuff, also comes the bad... you just need to make sure the great stuff out weighs it! As for the random chatter, it goes along with Q & A on boat related topics... we need a balance on here just as we do in our daily lives. No one here devotes 100% of there waking hours to their boat and it shows in the off topic threads of this site.

So I ask all of you to crack open an ice cold one and enjoy one another and put all this bullsh!t behind us, once and for all!!

Hoosier Bob
12-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Sodar I would appreciate if you did not speak of our problem on this forum! If you want to go outside all you have to do is ask!:D

Sodar
12-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Sodar I would appreciate if you did not speak of our problem on this forum! If you want to go outside all you have to do is ask!:D

Sorry Bob... let me buy you a 30-pack and make amends w/ ya!

Hoosier Bob
12-29-2006, 08:54 PM
For a thirty pack you can have my ex wife, current ride and my first born male!

kpickett
12-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Thanks, Doug. You and JimN, among others, have been great help for the two years I've owned my MC. You said it well, and I hope we can recapture what the site was a couple years ago.

dapicatti
12-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks Doug. I have learned so much from so many of you here. I'd hate to see that go away. Let's get back to the basics. MC.

Chief
12-29-2006, 09:54 PM
I couldn't f'ing agree any f'ing more. How about a big f'ing group hug. I'm hugging you f's right now. Oh the Sammy's are talking, I knew I shouldn't have started drinking so f'ing early while taking down the christmas lights.

Happy F'ing New Years and I love all you bastards!

Hoosier Bob
12-29-2006, 10:03 PM
Man! That story of you and that cow! I wanna party with you my brother!8p I couldn't f'ing agree any f'ing more. How about a big f'ing group hug. I'm hugging you f's right now. Oh the Sammy's are talking, I knew I shouldn't have started drinking so f'ing early while taking down the christmas lights.

Happy F'ing New Years and I love all you bastards!

SkiDog
12-29-2006, 10:21 PM
No one here devotes 100% of there waking hours to their boat.

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?! You obviously don't know the great one Harold P!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor Lynn, she has to share her bed with that damn chromed ski pylon out of Harolds boat! Every time Harold brushes his teeth, with the other hand, he's ploishing his rudder! He's replaced all the guages in that damn Married Man Mini Van, with the perfectly good ones that he took out of the boat! How in the hell he made the exhaust manifolds that fit an Indmar, fit that mini van, is beyond me! Maybe he called Monster Garage for that one, but you get the picture!:worthy: :worthy: :uglyhamme :love:

TMCNo1
12-29-2006, 10:33 PM

Are you kidding me?!?!?!?! You obviously don't know the great one Harold P!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor Lynn, she has to share her bed with that damn chromed ski pylon out of Harolds boat! Every time Harold brushes his teeth, with the other hand, he's ploishing his rudder! He's replaced all the guages in that damn Married Man Mini Van, with the perfectly good ones that he took out of the boat! How in the hell he made the exhaust manifolds that fit an Indmar, fit that mini van, is beyond me! Maybe he called Monster Garage for that one, but you get the picture!:worthy: :worthy: :uglyhamme :love:

WHAT DID YOU EAT AND DRINK FOR DINNER? YOU ARE DILLUSIONAL!

Jessie James is my idol, don't even go there. He has a tatoo in his palm that says " Pay up Sucker", I have one in mine that says, "I paid you Sucker"! Yea, and them midgets did all the work on my van that Jesse has on his show! HA HA!

Monte
12-29-2006, 10:35 PM

C'mon ski dog do you mean to tell me Harold hasn't a honeydo?

Hoosier Bob
12-29-2006, 10:37 PM
I think he was trying to say something like this, HAROLD YOU ARE A FREAK! I could be wrong but I think I am close! YOU POLISH YOUR FINS FOR CRIPES SAKE! Not that that is any reason to be concerned. YOU MADE YOUR MOTHER IN LAW SLEEP IN THE BARN SO YOUR MC COULD HAVE THE GUEST ROOM! I know many of us are not so settled with our inlawes and this I also understand. YOU SLEEP IN YOUR FREAKIN' BOAT! YOU SLEEP IN YOUR FREAKIN' BOAT! Sorry Harold but you are sick! No help from Dr. Hoosier this eve!

TMCNo1
12-29-2006, 10:42 PM
C'mon ski dog do you mean to tell me Harold hasn't a honeydo?

It gets done before breakfast, any coffee and before the wife goes to work! You've heard of the "60 minute man", well I'm the 23 1/2 hour man!

TMCNo1
12-29-2006, 10:44 PM
I think he was trying to say something like this, HAROLD YOU ARE A FREAK! I could be wrong but I think I am close! YOU POLISH YOUR FINS FOR CRIKES SAKE! Not that that is any reason to be concerned. YOU MADE YOUR MOTHER IN LAW SLEEP IN THE BARN SO YOUR MC COULD HAVE THE GUEST ROOM! I know many of us are not so settled with our inlawes and this I also understand. YOU SLEEP IN YOUR FREAKIN' BOAT! YOU SLEEP IN YOUR FREAKIN' BOAT! Sorry Harold but you are sick! No help from Dr. Hoosier this eve!

Now this is really GOOD laughter! HB you da man!

Monte
12-29-2006, 10:45 PM
It gets done before breakfast, any coffee and before the wife goes to work! You've heard of the "60 minute man", well I'm the 23 1/2 hour man!
So you rock em, roll em all night long you're the 23 1/2 hr man?

TMCNo1
12-29-2006, 10:49 PM
I just realized that we have totally wrecked Dougs serious attempt to get us calmed down.
Sorry Doug, but as you can tell your thread is working too good!

Monte
12-29-2006, 10:50 PM
I just realized that we have totally wrecked Dougs serious attempt to get us calmed down.
Sorry Doug, but as you can tell your thread is working too good!
Yes I too apologize for the threadjack!!!

Leroy
12-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Great job Doug!

You are the moderator supreme!

To quote myself from another thread since I think it really belonged here.

I don't think tHis forum is any different than if we were meeting for coffee every morning and talking, there is new stuff all the time. THere are things that go on in the world and we need to be aware of them. If there is a new boat company starting up in CA, great to see what they have I think it is not the beautiful look of an x1 or any xstar, but that's my opinion, and I still wish Rod the best in that venture. Rod knows his skiing and contributes a lot to the site. There are people that can stay on all day and those that only come on at night or weekends. To everyone that comes on it is a honor and priviledge for everyone else. I say chat, contribute, CONTINUE to make this a great community.

That is the problem with email and forums is it can get impersonal and things said that interpeted the wrong way that normally would not be said or if said in person you can tell that person is kidding and laughing as they say it.

THink about when we go out skiing with someone else, I love the trips out with Hoosier Bob! Absolutely some of the best ski times I have had and I don't get enough. Also, the strange thing for me is Bob and I have never had a beer together which should be corrected sometime! I hope to expand the skiing outings Michael Crowson, Slinky, and others next summer.

Have a tall one everyone and be merry!

Also, if anyone has a Nintendo N64 system for sale PM me! Ours is broken and the prices on ebay have been out of sight!

Leroy

trickskier
12-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Doug,
I have read your thread several times and agree with a lot of its content. No one on this forum should ever chastise or try to embarrass another member. This forum was set up by MasterCraft for MasterCraft owners to interact and get valuable information when needed.

Personally, I think that goal has been accomplished.

Unfortunately, some members have tried to promote themselves, their businesses, or even sell competitive products on this forum. I do not think this is what MasterCraft intended.

I have owned a MasterCraft since 1982, and have met a lot of great people at MasterCraft Reunions. Most of the people I interact with on this forum are great people, a lot of them I know personally.

While I joined this forum in August of 2004, I did not start posting until June of this year. I have enjoyed reading, posting & hopefully helping fellow MasterCraft owners.

That being said, we all know why you started this thread. Some fellow members were bashing each other and it got out of hand. I agree that we all need to be more conscientious of other people's feelings. Especially people we do not know.

I am by no means a politically correct person and believe that majority NOT minority rules. This however is a MasterCraft forum and is governed by their rules.

My point is this all could have been avoided had the original perpetrators been warned that they were treading on thin ice. Several threads should have been closed a long time ago.

I hope everything gets back to normal soon. I certainly enjoy reading and posting on this forum. However, I do not want to feel guilty about someone leaving if they have brought it upon themself.

Chief
12-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Man! That story of you and that cow! I wanna party with you my brother!8p

Those big brown eyes and the tail to go with it was just too much.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-29-2006, 11:06 PM
what the hell have yoos guys done to this thread? Eastie comes on here and yoos guys turn it into a carnival. Now get back to one of our regularly scheduled threadjacks!:D We can tear up another thread! :D

Hoosier Bob
12-29-2006, 11:06 PM
I can't say I have not been there my brother! Why tip em' when you can.............................

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Hoosier, take your farm sex fantasies elsewhere.:rolleyes: like the "hoosier thread":D

Hoosier Bob
12-29-2006, 11:11 PM
If I am out of line I guess I am out of line! I don't like my brothers, Doug included being bashed for putting forth one of the best sites you can find on the net! We are all geeks that have a nice time and opportunity to become members here! So JCrosby has a Cow fetish? He is welcome here! Rod is a valued member of our site as well! We are all different and most of the ridiculous posts I have made tonight support this! We are all brothers from another mother!

Chief
12-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Man! That story of you and that cow! I wanna party with you my brother!8p

Sheep are also fun, no need for hip waders when you give them the choice of over the cliff or back up they always choose backing up and then they are yours!

Hoosier Bob
12-29-2006, 11:26 PM
I am with you J! When things begin to start backing up and life gets a little too serious it is time to move on! Doug is a great guy but being a "Mod" has taken the fun away IMO. I remember the old days but not as old as many here when we were all having fun. I also know I have made some decisions here that were not in the best interest of TT. Most often it was another member that kept me in line! We are here for each other!

east tx skier
12-29-2006, 11:35 PM
I honestly wasn't that fun to begin with. ;)

Sodar
12-29-2006, 11:37 PM
I honestly wasn't that fun to begin with. ;)

LOL!! At least back in the day you actually posted! It seemed like you are Erk were the first ones to respond to a new thread, now it takes you guys a full day to reply!!:( :rolleyes: :mad:

Monte
12-29-2006, 11:39 PM
LOL!! At least back in the day you actually posted! It seemed like you are Erk were the first ones to respond to a new thread, now it takes you guys a full day to reply!!:( :rolleyes: :mad:

I blame HB:D

east tx skier
12-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Been busy at work lately. And have taken a step back from the site for the last few weeks. More watching. Less yapping. It doesn't suit me.

Leroy
12-29-2006, 11:40 PM
JCrosby150, man is it bad when things are taken out of context! Maybe there is a typo here?

Sheep are also fun, no need for hip waders when you give them the choice of over the cliff or back up they always choose backing up and then they are yours!

Hoosier Bob
12-29-2006, 11:46 PM
I will gladly accept all of the blame as long as all here can get along! I am not malicious nor a trouble maker! I enjoy finishing! Doug, c'mon out and play once in awhile! I will play fair as I always (I Believe) have!
H Double B!

Bruce
12-29-2006, 11:47 PM
trickskier and Doug I can simply say well done and well stated.
As to the "cow talkers and threadjackers" I simply say "When I was a child I spoke as a child---------------" You know the rest.

Hoosier Bob
12-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Ouch! Ok, Ban Bruce!8p

TMCNo1
12-29-2006, 11:51 PM
I blame HB:D

I think it's the peacock! :D

Hoosier Bob
12-29-2006, 11:58 PM
Sorry Bruce! 73! Any pics of you skiing? I ask as I am 41-42 and have a hard time walking. I am sure it is not due to my immature behavior but more do to a lifestyle that includes a lot of physical challenge. Anyway Bruce I am Bob, Hoosier Bob and I tend to try to lighten things up when I can. Sorry if I tend to offend but if you see HB run away. Take care Bruce and I look forward to your postings. Anyone who can continue past 50 has my attention and yourself deserves my envy. I can't wait! Take care and stay young!
HB

Monte
12-29-2006, 11:58 PM
I think it's the peacock! :D

Fred...............................

east tx skier
12-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Doug,

Unfortunately, some members have tried to promote themselves, their businesses, or even sell competitive products on this forum. I do not think this is what MasterCraft intended.

I have owned a MasterCraft since 1982, and have met a lot of great people at MasterCraft Reunions. Most of the people I interact with on this forum are great people, a lot of them I know personally.

My point is this all could have been avoided had the original perpetrators been warned that they were treading on thin ice. Several threads should have been closed a long time ago.

I hope everything gets back to normal soon. I certainly enjoy reading and posting on this forum. However, I do not want to feel guilty about someone leaving if they have brought it upon themself.

You are correct that it is a violation of the posting rules to promote competing brands. If you see that happening, don't hesitate to contact one of the moderators about it. I had seen the Wakecraft picture before, and honestly, wasn't of the mind that it was something MC viewed as competition. But even if I'm wrong on my interpretation of "competition," I never received any communication from anyone on the subject. On the other hand, I have had a ton of people contacting me about all the bashing going on here lately. While I try to keep an eye on things, obviously, things can be overlooked. So if anyone sees something that bothers them, please let me or Beau know about it.

And I agree, I hope things get back to normal around here. With such a strong bunch of people, I don't doubt that it can.

Bruce
12-30-2006, 12:26 AM
Aw Ha Bob there is another side to you! Very nice response. No personal offense taken. Just hate it when it look like it's getting a little mean. No pics on the slalom. Maybe this summer if I can still get it up.(If I don't go back and reword that I am going to be sorry!) Don't know if the arthritic hands can hang on for a deep water start. Grand kids say" Pa Pa just get up on two and drop one" They don't understand pride! Besides the tales my kids have told my grand kids about how Pa Pa use to lay it down is far better than real life! Thanks for the good wishes and same back to you.

Chief
12-30-2006, 12:31 AM
JCrosby150, man is it bad when things are taken out of context! Maybe there is a typo here?

No typo, just being silly. Just trying to bust the iceberg, no mean bones in my body. Maybe one mean one.

Leroy
12-30-2006, 12:33 AM
I hope I am on here when I'm 73 hoping to get up on one an post a few pictures!

I'll be looking for the pictures this summer Bruce!

Aw Ha Bob there is another side to you! Very nice response. No personal offense taken. Just hate it when it look like it's getting a little mean. No pics on the slalom. Maybe this summer if I can still get it up.(If I don't go back and reword that I am going to be sorry!) Don't know if the arthritic hands can hang on for a deep water start. Grand kids say" Pa Pa just get up on two and drop one" They don't understand pride! Besides the tales my kids have told my grand kids about how Pa Pa use to lay it down is far better than real life! Thanks for the good wishes and same back to you.

JohnnyB
12-30-2006, 09:31 AM
In not enforcing this loosely crafted rule, I have failed to properly moderate this forum. For that, I apoligize.

Its a shame that some folks and their actions have led you to feel this way....in general, you do a good job. Thanks, Doug.

As a result of all this nonsense lately, we have lost some long time contributors to Team Talk. Some went out with a bang. Some PM'd me their goodbyes. Others slipped out quietly. I gave consideration to being among the latter. I hope things can improve around here in the future.

This is disappointing....hopefully the atmosphere will improve around here.

Doug, thanks to yourself and others who have made this site fun and informative.

Slinkyredfoot
12-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Yea but the only thing about sheep I do not like is they are nothing but a bunch of liars

bigmac
12-30-2006, 01:47 PM
More recently still, this place, once a wealth of information and a hub of comradery, has given rise to one flame war after another. Somewhere in the mix, some users have decided it was okay to bash others, make them feel unwelcome, and just act unfriendly. Additionally, there has been much talk of banning other users. Some took it as a joke and it has grown to the point where it is difficult to tell the difference.

I have not said this soon enough. But it needs to stop. Among some suggested posting guidelines is the following:

Mean-spirited conduct. You be nice! What's more, be respectful of your fellow Team Talkers. Does this mean you can't argue. Of course not. People argue and pick on each other all the time around here. Many of these people know the people on which they're ripping personally t'boot. Just use common sense. Don't threaten people. Don't be a total jerk all the time. If you are, don't get offended if someone tells you you are either. Try to work things out with the person though. If that doesn't work, please PM the moderators to see if it falls under our purview.

I would add to that that none of us needs to declare that another user ought to be banned. Not me as a moderator. Not any of us. The site owner may make that decision as it deems necessary. The rest of us would be wise to just try to make sure such an occurrence doesn't befall us.

Be mindful of this guideline in your future interactions, postings, and other activity here on Team Talk.

I agree with all of this, especially the part about tighter moderation. For example, Jim@BAWS original post "Ban Rod Now" should have never seen the light of day IMHO. The "Ban Rod" avatars should never have been allowed. There have been other aspects of insulting behavior that have been overlooked too....SodarSki called me an idiot in one post (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=238232&postcount=21)...if he had called me a MALIBU idiot or included a picture of a competing boat brand, I'm sure the post would have been pulled. It sticks in my mind because it's the first time ever that I've been called a name or insulted on a moderated bulletin board, and I've been doing this a long time.

I think that from the Swimsuit thread to the 30 second porn posts in another thread to the name calling and banning talk, we as a group have kind of shown that we can't moderate ourselves well. The internet in general is known for discourteous behavior, primarily because that kind of behavior can occur without consequence. The advantage of moderated groups like this is that there ARE consequences for bad behavior. Or at least there are supposed to be.

east tx skier
12-30-2006, 02:21 PM
There are lots of things that stay up longer than they should. At times, there are decisions to let things "fall off the board" so to speak. The thought being that less attention gets called to it that way. Problem is that things sometimes get bumped six months to a year later. But we can go on and on about admitted moderation shortcomings. And the notion of a group this size being able to police itself as we did when we were a fraction of this size is a pipe dream.

As for tighter moderation, I think that may be best accomplished by more moderators. In other words, Beau and I spend too much time on here as is and can't get it all done. Your example above is a good one. Had I seen it (and I'm not recalling it so I'm assuming I didn't post a few down from that), that, i.e., calling you an idiot, would have been something requiring a "moderator's touch" so to speak. In years past, some others may have jumped all over that and broken it all up without the need. Lately, it seems to get covered up in jokes and comments without the realization that calling someone and idiot, or someone else a drunk isn't nice and feelings do get hurt. In other words, people, with good intentions, tend to want to pacify the situation by making light of it rather than settling it. And who can blam them,, that's why we have moderators, right. More on the mods' shortcomings in a minute.

Back to the guideline that we all ought to be a little nicer. That's the case even if we are entitled to our personal opinions about one another. In the end, who cares who started it. Or I just called him a name because he broke a different rule. Then one is of the mind that the other said something mean and so it must be okay to respond with something twice as bad. The inevitable escalation breeds negativity and makes this place pretty undesirable. At least that's how I view it. In the end, nobody wins.

There are 4,434 users, 13,370 active threads and 273,595 posts and counting as of right .... now. With two mods with day jobs and two admin types who undoubtedly have more on their plate than just this, things will fall through the cracks. I know I'm neither capable nor interested in sifting through absolutely all of this stuff. We do what we can. Without help from the people on here, whether they be moderators or not, more will slip by. In other words, you can moderate without being a "moderator."

bigmac
12-30-2006, 02:45 PM
There are 4,434 users, 13,370 active threads and 273,595 posts and counting as of right .... now. With two mods with day jobs and two admin types who undoubtedly have more on their plate than just this, things will fall through the cracks. I know I'm neither capable nor interested in sifting through absolutely all of this stuff. Have I mentioned that JimN fellow might make a good mod.

I agree completely. Two moderators for this board is woefully inadequate, as I have mentioned before, and this whole present convulsion is a crystal clear indicator of that. Especially since your moderator capabilities are limited (all you apparently are granted are thread management tools - no access to Moderator's Control Panel) and in the face of a hands-off Administrator.

east tx skier
12-30-2006, 03:00 PM
I agree completely. Two moderators for this board is woefully inadequate, as I have mentioned before, and this whole present convulsion is a crystal clear indicator of that. Especially since your moderator capabilities are limited (all you apparently are granted are thread management tools - no access to Moderator's Control Panel) and in the face of a hands-off Administrator.

Hands off is not a correct assessment. And as things go, I think it's best I say this here. If someone has a problem with how the admins run their board, it's best taken up in a PM to the admin. I have, in the past, directly suggested additional moderators and will do so again. Otherwise, I would not have mention it publically.

Sodar
12-30-2006, 03:11 PM

suedv
12-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Doug and Beau, I appreciate the work you both do for this forum. I also agree we all have a role to play in keeping this a nice place to visit. We shouldn't ruin the experience for you.

My thought is if we all think just a moment before we submit our posts it will be better. If we write our posts in a way that we would if people knew who we are, it will stay nicer on here. It's easy for people on the web to hide behind a screen name and say things that they wouldn't say to someone who knows them.

On a personal note, Rick and I have met people that we got to know through this forum and have had a nice time with them. It's fun to get to know other people with similar interests.

By the way, thanks to all of you. Through this forum I have learned to help with the boat, fix little things, and take ownership of the boat rather than just ride in it. That makes the whole boating experience more fun.

bigmac
12-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Hands off is not a correct assessment. And as things go, I think it's best I say this here. If someone has a problem with how the admins run their board, it's best taken up in a PM to the admin. I have, in the past, directly suggested additional moderators and will do so again. Otherwise, I would not have mentioned it publically.First of all, it wasn't meant as a criticism, merely an observation based on comparative experience. Second...do I infer correctly then that observations on administrative policies by the rank and file are..."discouraged"...? In anticipation of a "yes" answer, I'll forego any additional such observations that might be rattling around in my mind.

Hoosier Bob
12-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Hey Big Mac what is up? The Ban Rod avatar is my fault but if you find the posts that lead up to that picture you will see I was not asking for Rod to be banned just pointing out how absurd I thought the Banishment idea was at the time. I did so to be funny and I know Rod knew this at the time. Problem is it surfaces 6 months later and all of the sudden I am leading the Ban Rod brigade. Newbies have no idea who is joking, serious and who has outside relationships with who. Doug and Beau do a great job as most of the situations that have arisen here have been solved within the board.
Take care Big Mac!
HB

PS. Ban Big Mac!:D
I agree with all of this, especially the part about tighter moderation. For example, Jim@BAWS original post "Ban Rod Now" should have never seen the light of day IMHO. The "Ban Rod" avatars should never have been allowed. There have been other aspects of insulting behavior that have been overlooked too....SodarSki called me an idiot in one post (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=238232&postcount=21)...if he had called me a MALIBU idiot or included a picture of a competing boat brand, I'm sure the post would have been pulled. It sticks in my mind because it's the first time ever that I've been called a name or insulted on a moderated bulletin board, and I've been doing this a long time.

I think that from the Swimsuit thread to the 30 second porn posts in another thread to the name calling and banning talk, we as a group have kind of shown that we can't moderate ourselves well. The internet in general is known for discourteous behavior, primarily because that kind of behavior can occur without consequence. The advantage of moderated groups like this is that there ARE consequences for bad behavior. Or at least there are supposed to be.

bigmac
12-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Hey Big Mac what is up? The Ban Rod avatar is my fault but if you find the posts that lead up to that picture you will see I was not asking for Rod to be banned just pointing out how absurd I thought the Banishment idea was at the time. I did so to be funny and I know Rod knew this at the time. Problem is it surfaces 6 months later and all of the sudden I am leading the Ban Rod brigade. Newbies have no idea who is joking, serious and who has outside relationships with who. Doug and Beau do a great job as most of the situations that have arisen here have been solved within the board.
Take care Big Mac!
HB

PS. Ban Big Mac!:D

Not pointing a single finger at you HB. I never followed any of the banning threads or avatars, only noted their existence. I consider you to be a very polite fellow.

Hoosier Bob
12-30-2006, 03:35 PM
How many fingers are you pointing at me?:D
Have a great and safe New Years! Any snow pics yet?
Not pointing a single finger at you HB. I never followed any of the banning threads or avatars, only noted their existence. I consider you to be a very polite fellow.

Bruce
12-30-2006, 03:48 PM
HB & BigMac--now that's what I'm talking about! Nice exchange.
"A problem clearly identified is half solved" Show me the love!
(Now isn't that better than a time out)

east tx skier
12-30-2006, 03:56 PM
First of all, it wasn't meant as a criticism, merely an observation based on comparative experience. Second...do I infer correctly then that observations on administrative policies by the rank and file are..."discouraged"...? In anticipation of a "yes" answer, I'll forego any additional such observations that might be rattling around in my mind.

Bigmac, please don't mistake what I was saying as a veiled suggestion that criticism isn't welcomed. Observations based on comparative experience or criticism are welcomed by me. They, i.e., your suggestions PM'd in the past, are often passed on to site admin. I was merely suggesting suggestions that such might be delivered via PM to admin since, in my view, our public conversation in which you referred to admin as "hands off," were that assumption not denied by me, could easily be misconstrued as my agreement with that assumption. I hope you understand that I might have a suggestion, observation thought, etc. rattling around in my head as well. :) It certainly wasn't meant as a jab at you although I surmise it was taken that way. My apologies for not being more clear as to my intent. Be well.

Dawg
12-30-2006, 04:35 PM
You Go... Lone Star Man!

Hoosier Bob
12-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Where are those pics Bruce Man? Many Gators where you ski? Hoosier's do not like Gators! Take care and have a safe New Years!:D HB & BigMac--now that's what I'm talking about! Nice exchange.
"A problem clearly identified is half solved" Show me the love!
(Now isn't that better than a time out)

Bruce
12-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Won't have any pictures till it warms up. Then I got to figure out how to post them. Pulled the oldest grand son(18) 2 days before Christmas. He yanks on his wet suit and goes at it hard. These old bones will wait till it's hot! As a matter of fact we have plenty of gators! I live on a bayou and the other side is a wildlife refugee. We agreed to share the space.(I think that is what they said. It was grunting and hard to understand)
You and yours likewise have a safe , happy New Year, and a blessed 2007.

Ric
12-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I love this website.
I refuse to explain my posts, avatars or my sense of humor... If you don't get me...... move on. bwuhaaahahahhah

bigmac
12-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Bigmac, please don't mistake what I was saying as a veiled suggestion that criticism isn't welcomed. Observations based on comparative experience or criticism are welcomed by me. They, i.e., your suggestions PM'd in the past, are often passed on to site admin. I was merely suggesting suggestions that such might be delivered via PM to admin since, in my view, our public conversation in which you referred to admin as "hands off," were that assumption not denied by me, could easily be misconstrued as my agreement with that assumption. I hope you understand that I might have a suggestion, observation thought, etc. rattling around in my head as well. :) It certainly wasn't meant as a jab at you although I surmise it was taken that way. My apologies for not being more clear as to my intent. Be well.

Aaaww...gimme a hug, Doug...ya big lug...:D

east tx skier
12-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Right back atcha big guy.

east tx skier
12-30-2006, 07:09 PM
I love this website.
I refuse to explain my posts, avatars or my sense of humor... If you don't get me...... move on. bwuhaaahahahhah

I must break you. 8p

Hoosier Bob
12-30-2006, 07:26 PM
This is way above me! We need professional help!

http://ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/drphil2.html

PS Sound board only! Some info on the site appears very questionable!:o

Leroy
12-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Pretty good, I didn't know about soundboards, but my son did.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/tags/soundboards/ I like Napoleon Dynamite! "Girls only want guys with special skills"!

Ric
12-30-2006, 07:49 PM
I must break you. 8p

work work work work,,,,,,

Hello boys!!!!!

east tx skier
12-30-2006, 08:30 PM
work work work work,,,,,,

Hello boys!!!!!

Sorry. That was my best Ivan Drago. Rocky IV was on today and I suffered through all the preliminary garbage for the training montage where he picks up the wagon.

/me=geek.

atlfootr
12-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Just ask my wife, she HATES it!Mine feels the same way .... she hate it too, and wishes it would CRASH!
She tells me, "you spend way to much time on that site" :rant:
I jus' reply, "close the door on your way out".
:purplaugh

bradamerry
12-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Boy, I'm glad I've been fishing... Glad to see all is as I left it, going back for more minnows.... See ya.

budman
01-01-2007, 07:42 PM
People just need to grow up and be respectful of others.What ever happened to the saying if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.Use the forum to better yourself and pass on learning info to others.

JimN
01-01-2007, 08:27 PM
As much as I hate what was going on here, this shows that it could always be worse. Much worse.

http://forums.taunton.com/tp-breaktime/messages?msg=82140.84

milkmania
01-01-2007, 08:33 PM
As much as I hate what was going on here, this shows that it could always be worse. Much worse.

http://forums.taunton.com/tp-breaktime/messages?msg=82140.84

you'll have to tell us about it

JimN
01-01-2007, 09:47 PM
Oh, sorry about that.

Here are some quotes from the thread that is totally out of hand:

"Maybe you just like the cheap shot opportunites even when they aren't really logical but for the sake of entertaining simpletons, logic need not be applied."

"Your defence mechanism tends to be condescension, not very mature in my books. I'm curious as to your definition of simpleton and why you feel you are intellectually superior. What is it you do again as a profession?"

"If you cannot differentiate between false statements and expressing opinions, then there is nothing I can do for you"

"Simpleton? that is someone that is easily entertained, for instance, without the need for logic or intellect.

Lets' say that I say that turtles are amphibious and you say "nuh uh, turtles live in the water and on land!" and T runs over and yells "yeah, buuuuurn!" I might say that I've just been accosted by two simpletons.

Furthermore, if you are easily bruised while engaging in critical discussions, then I advise you to steer clear of them in the future."

These are from just a couple of posts from two people, aimed at each other. Just the tip of the iceberg. I have never seen anything as bad at Team Talk and I hope I never do.

milkmania
01-01-2007, 10:45 PM
removed it like I said I would;)

JimN
01-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Wow! What board is this from?

Jesus_Freak
01-02-2007, 04:52 AM
Doug and Beau, I appreciate the work you both do for this forum. I also agree we all have a role to play in keeping this a nice place to visit. We shouldn't ruin the experience for you. My thought is if we all think just a moment before we submit our posts it will be better. If we write our posts in a way that we would if people knew who we are, it will stay nicer on here.

By the way, thanks to all of you. Through this forum I have learned to help with the boat, fix little things, and take ownership of the boat rather than just ride in it. That makes the whole boating experience more fun.

Thanks Sue. I have tried on many occasions to state my appreciation of you all on this forum. I cannot say it enough nor say it to a satisfactory extent. This place is amazing, and lets see it improve.

Ric
01-02-2007, 08:46 AM
People just need to grow up and be respectful of others.What ever happened to the saying if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.Use the forum to better yourself and pass on learning info to others. i dont wanna grow up

milkmania
01-02-2007, 11:18 AM
Wow! What board is this from?

it's one of those boards where you had better have your flame suit on when you click enter!

JimN
01-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Anybody here who sells Nomex suits?

TMCNo1
01-02-2007, 11:34 AM
it's one of those boards where you had better have your flame suit on when you click enter!

In that case, I have no business there anyway. I have enough trouble on here, keeping my beak shut, since I'm the only resident human peacock!

RexDog1
01-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Anybody here who sells Nomex suits?

My racing suit is flame proof ..But only for about 1 minute

It is going to take something better than that .................................

Sodar
01-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Anyone know how to get pictures off your cellphone? I have a few pics of me in my anti-terrorism suit! The thing is pretty freaking hilarious... came complete with a gas mask!!

JimN
01-02-2007, 11:52 AM
If it's a Razr and you use Cingular, you have to send them in a message using the phone. I'm in the same position and I don't use text messaging, so apparently, I'm SOL. Motorola sells software with a cable but A) I'm not buying software that should already be supported and B) I already have about 6 of the cables. Treo supports it out of the box, Cingular and Motorola are a PITA.

I know someone at Motorola and I'm going to contact him. If you have one of theirs too, I'll let you know what can be done.

Sodar
01-02-2007, 11:56 AM
If it's a Razr and you use Cingular, you have to send them in a message using the phone. I'm in the same position and I don't use text messaging, so apparently, I'm SOL. Motorola sells software with a cable but A) I'm not buying software that should already be supported and B) I already have about 6 of the cables. Treo supports it out of the box, Cingular and Motorola are a PITA.

I know someone at Motorola and I'm going to contact him. If you have one of theirs too, I'll let you know what can be done.

Yeah, I have a RAZR and CIngular. When I am at home on my mac, it is very simple to transfer stuff through bluetooth, but I can not get it to do it on my work computer. Do you know how to send the pic to the computer through text messaging?

JimN
01-02-2007, 12:03 PM
If you can send e-mails with your phone, you can attach the photo file, just like a computer, IIRC. Like I said, I don't have mine set up for text and I'm not going to pay for it since I don't need it. If you have text ability, maybe yo could send it to a phone what makes it easier to download. I personally think it a bunch of crap that they make it this hard.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Do you know how to send the pic to the computer through text messaging?
E-mail ......8p First you will need to have an email address to send it to and enter that info into one of your contacts. Then find the pic and select send to contact. It should be pretty easy although it has been awhile since I used a Razr.

I used to have to do that. Now this Motorola has a SanDisk memory card built in.

Ric
01-02-2007, 12:12 PM
E-mail ......8p First you will need to have an email address to send it to and enter that info into one of your contacts. Then find the pic and select send to contact. It should be pretty easy although it has been awhile since I used a Razr.

I used to have to do that. Now this Motorola has a SanDisk memory card built in. what motorola ?

Ric
01-02-2007, 12:13 PM
what the hell, I will be a dealer for nomex too!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-02-2007, 12:14 PM
what motorola ?
i870......

Sodar
01-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Got it!!!!!!

JimN
01-02-2007, 12:23 PM
I have an old Treo- maybe I can send it to that and remove the SD card.

Thanks for mentioning that.

TMCNo1
01-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Got it!!!!!!

My wife usually dresses simular to that about an hour after I have finished dinner!

RexDog1
01-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Got it!!!!!!

Your eyes look like the Sleestacks from the "land of the lost"?????

SkiDog
01-02-2007, 01:47 PM
My wife usually dresses simular to that about an hour after I have finished dinner!

If that suit had a few more colors, it would be just another picture of you!:D

milkmania
01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Got it!!!!!!

can you imagine 6 or 8 people walking down the dock dressed like that!:eek3:

:uglyhamme

Kyle's_prostar205
01-02-2007, 03:14 PM
I got a set of bunker gear...(fire fighters suit) that you all can borrow. Its good to about 500 degrees and then stuff starts to burn!

Thanks for all your hard work Doug and Beau! I like this thread and like the inforamtion that I am able to get from other people and in return I try to give back any knowledge I have. Hopefully 2007 will bring a change in the mood on Team Talk.

Happy New Year everybody!:D