PDA

View Full Version : What kind of receiver?

6ballsisall
01-01-2005, 07:08 PM
I plan to put in a new stereo system in the MC this winter. My gut instinct tells me before too long I will end up buying an Ipod or other MP3 player. Does anyone know of a stereo that has a jack for plugging in such a device and playing music thru the system off this device? Less money is better!! Thanks for the advice!

MarkP
01-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Jr

I bought my boat stereo from “Ike Sound” (not a marine unit). I don’t know if they sell marine stereo equipment or not. They had good prices and was an easy site to shop.http://www.ikesound.com/

You may want the marine equip and I’m sure everyone else can help with that..

Farmer Ted
01-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Use this to find a radio that has an AUX input
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ccHCD2RdhAH/cgi-bin/prodgroup.asp?g=62700&avf=N&nvpair=AG%5FGeneral%5FFeatures%7CYCAUX%5FInput

Use this to find the best price on a reciever that has an AUX input
http://www.pricegrabber.com/

The Crutchfield catalog is handy because they will list all the features the radios have so it's easy to compare.

Good luck.

Cloaked
01-02-2005, 09:49 AM
IMHO, XM satellite radio.

:twocents:

Mag_Red
01-02-2005, 09:58 AM
A bit off the subject.........but HAPPY BIRTHDAY JEFF!!!!!!!! :dance: :toast:

crdickey
01-02-2005, 11:20 AM
It's best to plan out your system needs before you buy anything or you'll end up with incompatibility issues or a maxed out head unit. Depending on your mounting and operating conditions there are many reasons to go with "Marine Grade" components.

I went with Clarion because of their CeNET connectivity. It's like USB plug & play. Other Clarion units with CeNET just plug inline and the head unit recognizes and controls the unit from the head unit or the driver and transom mounted remotes. My system uses all Clarion components, I have their 6 Disc CD changer, Sirius Satellite receiver and use the AUX inputs for my iPod. Three sets of component speakers, 2 in the bow, 2 in the rear and 2 on the mini tower with a 10 subwoofer in the drivers foot well are powered by a 400 watt amp for the speakers and a 200 watt amp for the subwoofer. They're all made to work with each other and work flawlessly.
It rocks! I have pictures and install instructions which can be emailed.

I took this from their site; http://www.clarion.com/usa/product/index.php?mod=details&category=marine&product=XMD3-RET

XMD3-RET
KEY FEATURES
Exclusive Marinized Front Panel
Water Sealed Media Access Door
Conformally Coated Microprocessor
Input for Marine Wired Remote Control
2 Band Parametric EQ (Z-Enhancer Plus)
White Positive LCD
CeNET Control of Optional: TV Tuner, 6 Disc CD Changer, Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver
Subwoofer Level Control
4 Channel RCA Line Level Output
208 Watt (52W x 4)
Magi-Tune + Tuner with 18FM/6AM Presets
Magna Bass EX
Built in Low Pass Crossovers (off/50Hz/80Hz/120Hz)

André
01-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Ditto...With DB!
:banana: :banana:

6ballsisall
01-02-2005, 11:56 AM

Thanks Mag Red! Did a little birthday present work today, pulled the skins of the MC and the wife helped package them up to head down for redesign! Woohoo!! In 6 weeks or so the MC should be looking good!! :cool:

6ballsisall
01-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Is there a big difference in a marine and a Car CD player? Mine will be mounted under the windshield and shouldn't see much water if any at all. Would a car CD player work?

MarkP
01-02-2005, 10:31 PM
works great for me:headbang:

crdickey
01-03-2005, 01:03 AM
Only my humble opinion.

Marine coating on circuitry and splash proof face on head unit is where most of the cost difference comes in. If you think about it, in a car you don't get near as wet inside as a boat, you don't throw a cover over a wet car or leave your car outside in the rain with the windows and the top down. My boat always seems to get wet and stays wet inside through most of the season. When I wash my boat out I do it with a hose and as much as I try, water seems to get splashed on the dash.

Here in So. Cal when you cover a wet boat it turns into a steam bath and before it bakes dry moisture goes every where.

Inadvertently dip the nose in roller and see how much water comes over the windshield.

Burn out a car unit and take it back under warrantee and believe me, they’ll know it was in a boat.

jimmer2880
01-03-2005, 07:53 AM
If you think about it, in a car you don't get near as wet inside as a boat,
I'll bet my Jeep CD receiver sees much much more moisture than any units in any of the boats on this board. It only wears a bikini all summer in Very humid Maryland. Granted MD isn't near as bad as FL, but I know for a fact that my Jeep player is punished much much harder than the player in my MC.

My .02 worth is buy a CAR grade head-unit & put the extra $100.00 in accessories. I have abused auto head-units with water & never had a problem. Same goes for all my bud's. The only Marine grade units in boats amongst my friends are the ones that were installed from the factory.

Do what you want. Unless I was in Salt water, I won't drop a dime on a marine unit.:rant: