PDA

View Full Version : Choppy Water Performance

Overdraft
12-28-2006, 02:51 PM
On a good size lake - with a decent chop...what is the board's impression of the X -1 vs. Prostar 197 for ride? I am thinking of trading my Barefoot 200 for either of these two. We both ski and board in our family on a good size lake - any opinion on the better boat of the two?

Is the wake on the X-1 (with no ballast ) good to ski behind compared to a 197 which I have skied..?

THX

André
12-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Is the wake on the X-1 (with no ballast ) good to ski behind compared to a 197 which I have skied..?

THX
No.
If the 200 was handling your lake i don't see a problem with a 197 except for rough days.
In my mind MC doesn't have a skiable v drive.
All depends on what kind of skiing you want to do.

Diesel
12-28-2006, 03:16 PM
X-1 is much better in chop than the X-7. Surprisingly the X-1 skis very well.........maybe even better than my 209 DD.

Overdraft
12-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Andre...I see you are near Sherbrooke...we go to Hovey most years - would you bring your 'mother in law' out on Lake Manfremagod (sp?) on a windy day in a 197 in reasonable comfort? I love the tradional styling of the 190 series - but find that I could order an X-1 in a solid color with the large MC logo on the side and might be as close as I can get to a tradional MC style but with a decent ride on a blustery day - and wakeboard and ski pretty well?

Archimedes
12-28-2006, 03:30 PM
The X-1 is way better in chop than the 197/X7, particularly if you have some weight in it. I've been really pleasantly surprised by how well it handles rough water.

The X-1 skis very well for a vdrive, but it's no 197. Much better than the bigger vdrives, but not a ProStar wake. If you want it to ski well, obviously lose all the unnecessary weight you can in the boat. It'll ski like the old ProStar 205, which was decent (and AWSA tournament approved at one point if I remember correctly).

The X-1 is a great all around boat, decent at everything, but not the best at anything. If my primary interest was slalom, I would have kept my 190, which skiied much better. But also beat the crap out of me in anything but smooth water.

dsoby
12-28-2006, 03:42 PM
197s take on water very easily, especially over the bow when not on plane. The air intakes for the engine are below the rubrail on the stern maybe 10 inches above the waterline. Great boat for small lakes and man made ski lakes. Probably OK for a big lake as long as the weather is good. But you could have big problems if you had wind/waves and the motor quit.

ilikeitglacy
12-28-2006, 03:48 PM
i would not take my x-7 on the memphremagog...my buddy took his out..

betsy&david Harrison
12-28-2006, 03:54 PM
I would say the X-1. Our ProStar is the worst boat ever in chop. That is why we don't take it out to public waters very often

RexDog1
12-28-2006, 05:01 PM
It is amassing with my 2005 X2 when you full the center ballast ¾ full
How much deferent the boat handles in Choppy Water, it is not too bad

André
12-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Andre...I see you are near Sherbrooke...we go to Hovey most years - would you bring your 'mother in law' out on Lake Manfremagod (sp?) on a windy day in a 197 in reasonable comfort? I love the tradional styling of the 190 series - but find that I could order an X-1 in a solid color with the large MC logo on the side and might be as close as I can get to a tradional MC style but with a decent ride on a blustery day - and wakeboard and ski pretty well?
No Sir not on the Memphrémagog on a windy day as even sailboats stay in the marina in high winds.But if you were staying at the Hovey Manor,you were on Massawippi lake wich is way smaller then Memphrémagog.
If you're not into course skiing and don't mind the bigger ski wake,then the X1 is certainly a good choice for spending an entire day on the lake .:)
Living on a small lake,sometimes i forgot what it is to be on the boat all day long with guest,even if it's not the greatest day weatherwise and that you need some room to move around...:o
Where are you from?

Overdraft
12-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Manotick...(near Ottawa). Our cottage is about 2 hours West and we are looking to trade our Barefoot 200 with either a X-1 or maybe a new X- 14 if that turns out to be the boat it is supposed to be. (Prostar style and wake with a higher freeboard). My wife reminded me at dinner in that we are on Lake Massawippi at Hovey - I guess I was thinking of playing gollf at Owl's head and seeing the Memphremegog sign. I hope they sorted out the water problems at Massawippi...

Our lake is 5 miles by 7 miles and can get choppy. The advice was clear from the board in that it is best to stay away from the 197 so looks like the X -1 or maybe X - 14 if it is priced OK and meets our needs. I was so keyed up to buy a 197 initially - reading this board and Waterski mag and Wakeboard mag forums have been a great help.

CottagerGreg
12-29-2006, 01:32 AM
X-1 isn't too bad... very solid through the chop, though if you going through some heavy chop (2-3') don't expect a smooth ride.

This is behind my X-1 about 32 mph... just comming out of a turn at the end of the bay... (all I have with the wake in the pic)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Thanksgiving%20weekend%20cottage/IMG_0087.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Thanksgiving%20weekend%20cottage/IMG_0180.jpg