PDA

View Full Version : PowerSlot VS stock Tranny

beatle78
12-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi everyone,

Hope eveyrone has a great Christmas!

My neighbor is looking into an '07 X-7 and he was trying to figure out the major differences between the Power Slot and the stock tranny? He said he has the power slot on his '92 190 and he never had any problems with it.

Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
beatle78

Jerseydave
12-27-2006, 08:08 PM
I had a powerslot in my '94. From what I understand, the boat will have more low-end pulling power (great for heavy slalom skiers) and will hold speed in the course better. It will take less time and distance to get up to speed, also great for slalom and barefoot. The prop is larger which may effect the table and/or roostertail. I'm sure others know alot more about that then me. (see ERK or MYMC)

VTJC
12-27-2006, 11:17 PM
Standard is direct 1:1 ratio, for every turn of the engine the prop turns once. Powerslot is gear reduction 1:1.50 for older boats and 1:1.26(I think) for newer boat. I had an 88 Powerslot that pulled great with 240hp, now with 310hp I have a direct 1:1, which also pulls. With the increased HP in the EFI motors, Powerslot is less important.

shepherd
12-27-2006, 11:27 PM
I had a powerslot in my '94. From what I understand, the boat will have more low-end pulling power (great for heavy slalom skiers) and will hold speed in the course better. It will take less time and distance to get up to speed, also great for slalom and barefoot.

I have the powerslot (1.52:1) in my '90 PS 190. I also drive a '93 PS 205 with stock tranny a lot in the course. The main thing I noticed is that my boat, with the powerslot, is more responsive to speed adjustments (i.e., throttle adjustments). This is probably due to the powerslot transmission as well as the lighter weight of the PS190.

Theoretically, the powerslot will give better hole shot but I haven't noticed a big difference in the two. The powerslot is a little quicker there but any Mastercraft, powerslot or not, will yank just about anybody out of the water plenty fast. Also, with the increased horsepower in the newer boats you probably get plenty of holeshot without the powerslot.

For me, I probably wouldn't pay extra for a powerslot if I was buying a new boat. Also, I don't know much about how they're built, but wouldn't one expect the stock trans, without the gear reduction, to be more reliable (i.e., fewer parts to break) and easier to fix if broken?

Hoosier Bob
12-27-2006, 11:31 PM
With the current engine options is it even a question? Just asking but I thought the PS on newer boats had been reduced to 1.2/1 which would make me believe cost is the only question?:confused:

If it is not much more why not but if it is why so?

Put the dollars in the engine all things being equal. IMO!

MYMC
12-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Slot is beefed up parts, filter on the transmission fluid, larger pitch and diameter prop, 1.26:1 ratio = quicker out of the hole/ more pulling power (and can be prop'd for more top speed).

1:1 (should not exist) IMHO (did I say that?):D

beatle78
12-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Thanks guys!

My neighbor doesn't run a course, but was trying to figure out if the extra thousand bucks or so was worth upgrading to the power slot on an '07 197.

He just wants to make sure he gets another 15 years out of this boat (Hassle free) as he did out of his '92 190.

Any worries about the stock tranny getting 15 years out of it (say ~100 hours /year)

MYMC
12-28-2006, 01:54 PM
Any worries about the stock tranny getting 15 years out of it (say ~100 hours /year)
No, but have your buddy do himself a favor and consider all the things I posted above...

tommcat
12-28-2006, 01:55 PM
i have the slot with an LT1, the major difference i've noticed for me is when wakeboarding. with full ballast and a full passenger load i can control the speed much easier than my buddies boat with the same horsepower but non-slot trans.

it's also a rocket out of the hole which comes in handy when someone says "i cant be thrown off the tube";)

beatle78
12-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks again guys. I'm gonna print this out and give this thread to my buddy.

This may seem obvious, but couldn't I achieve the same hole shot by changing the prop?

MYMC,

What did you mean when you posted that the power slot can be propped for more top speed?
Can't you change the prop on the stock tranny for either a better holeshot or more top speed?

Thanks,
beatle78

MYMC
12-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Thanks again guys. I'm gonna print this out and give this thread to my buddy.

This may seem obvious, but couldn't I achieve the same hole shot by changing the prop?

MYMC,

What did you mean when you posted that the power slot can be propped for more top speed?
Can't you change the prop on the stock tranny for either a better holeshot or more top speed?

Thanks,
beatle78
No due to hull drag. The 1.26:1 has the gear advantage the 1:1 doesn't and when you change the prop looking for more speed this issue only gets worse...the greater pitch puts the 1:1 at a greater disadvantage. Simply put the gear reduction gives you more options that the 1:1 can never achieve.

Futher if you gear the 1:1 to get the hole shot of the 1.26 you'll bump the rev limiter when footing and burn gas like you're a Saudi (not to mention the loss of top end)! The mechanical advantage of the PowerSlot cannot be understated...well worth the invetment in my book. Every stock 197 & 190 on my lot has it, don't want it then we'll custom order you a boat.

shepherd
12-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Wow Mike. I didn't know the powerslot was so versatile. Makes me happier that I have it now. I can still say I've been very happy with the performance of the other, non-powerslot, MCs I've skied behind but I've never owned one.

I think I'll be buying a new prop sometime in the future. Thanks for the info!

MYMC
12-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Wow Mike. I didn't know the powerslot was so versatile. Makes me happier that I have it now. I can still say I've been very happy with the performance of the other, non-powerslot, MCs I've skied behind but I've never owned one.

I think I'll be buying a new prop sometime in the future. Thanks for the info!
Let me know when you're ready I have done a ton of prop testing and can send you in whatever direction you would like.

Happy New Year and Keep the Line Tight!

beatle78
12-29-2006, 12:18 PM
GREAT Info MYMC!!!!

Thanks!

G-man
12-29-2006, 12:47 PM
1:1 (should not exist) IMHO (did I say that?):D

I agree, I won't own another boat without a gear reduction transmission.

ski36short
12-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Every stock 197 & 190 on my lot has it, don't want it then we'll custom order you a boat.

Whoa, a dealer still stocks 190s?!? Cool!