PDA

View Full Version : Need Ballast Advice

dpolen
12-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Santa helped me get started for Xmas with the delivery of a 440lb locker/bow ballast bag. I need to get 2 more bags for the lockers in the back of the boat...I've seen a lot of 680lb fat sacs on ebay...would 2 of those in the back of my '98 225 Maristar be too much weight? Is this overkill? or, what do folks with the 230 or X30 have in their boats to get a great wakeboard and wakesurf wake? Is bigger really better in this case?

If I'm going to buy these things, I want to try to do this right the first time. Secondly...if I use the locker bag plus the twins in back, will one pump be enough?

Thanks Guys!
Doug

JKTX21
12-27-2006, 06:01 PM
That might be a little heavy in the back, with 1300+ lbs and 400 in the front, I'd put more weight in the front or less in the back. A quick and easy way to weight boats is 60% back and 40% front, but it's really personal preference. I put 650lbs in the rear of my Prostar and about 350-400 in the front when I wakeboard.

You will def. need at least two pumps. Good luck.

Jerseydave
12-27-2006, 06:07 PM
I would go with (2) 400 lb. bags in the rear, (1) 440 lb. in the locker.

I tried (1) 500 lb. fat sac in front of my back seat, and 350 lbs. in the front walkway and it worked nice. Could still use a little more weight, so I would think the above setup would be good. (total 1240 lbs.)

2 Tsunami pumps would be best, one will take a long time to fill 3 bags.

Byrdman
12-27-2006, 06:28 PM
I would go with the bigger sacs in the back. Just because it has a 680lb limit, doesnt mean you need to fill them up. In general, my experience has been that the more weight you have in the rear, the bigger the wake will become. Then you add weight to the front to shape it up some. In my 05 X-2, putting more weight in the front will make it steeper and put a nice lip on it at the top. You dont want to have to spend more money later if the small ones are not big enough.

Rich_G
12-27-2006, 06:31 PM
The Fly High Pro X Series sacks are the nicest and easiest to use IMO. The V-drive sacs are listed on most websites as 440 each, but when I got mine recently, it says 550 on the box. They expand beyond the stated dimensions, so who knows for sure.

These bags do not need a cover. Bags with covers in the v-drive compartments will get water between the bag and the lining, and will never dry out. Not a problem with these.

dpolen
12-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the responses guys...sounds like 2 pumps is definitely the way to go. Rich...you've got a great point about the coverless bags in the back. Seems like the v-drive compartments never completely dry out for me as-is.

Do I need to be more worried about punctures with the coverless models?...I know crap is going to get thrown on top of them all season just because of the location. The last thing I need to worry about is springing a leak in one of these things.

Thanks again for the help!!! Only 4 months and 1 day until she comes out of storage to play!

Harvey
12-28-2006, 11:46 AM
I would recommend with a Vdrive model trying to even out the weight as much as possible. (45/55) The engine in the back will pick up the extra weight slack. As far as the type of bag, I have coverless bags in the back of my X1. They have been in there a year with all kinds of crap on them and no punctures. They are pretty strong but I do worry about it. The pro x series bags are the best thing ever. They are really strong. I am actually going to swap out my coverless bags in the rear for prox series in the next couple months.

I would start with two pumps as one will just take too long. Once you get everything in and ready I can see you wanting a third pump or a quicker way to fill. The tsunamis are quick though so they may be enough for you. You could probably go with just V drive sacks at 800 total in the back and the 440 in the front then have a person or two sit up front to even it out or add some lead or another small bag up front.

Rich_G
12-28-2006, 12:07 PM
The Pro X bags are made out of the same material as whitewater rafts, with welded seams. We had one in the bow of my old boat; you can step on it, sit on it, lay boards across it. You're not going to hurt it unless you attack it with a screwdriver or something.

lassy
12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
the boat will bounce up and down (porpoising???) if you have too much weight in the back. i have a 99 xstar and i just installed a auto fill ballast system with (2) 700lb bags in the back (1) ski locker bag like yours and (1) bow sac to go underneath the front seats.

but before that, when i was manually filling bags, i'd put 500lb bags on either side of the engine, a 500lb lauch pad seat sac between the driver and observer seat....and then another 500lb bag in the open area in the bow..........

this is the wake with the 4 bag set up prior to the ballast install.....we had a few people in the boat too. this was running around 21mph....a little curly for my taste but was nice for slayshin
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/ericlassiterspics/Wakeboarding/IMG_2865.jpg

dpolen
12-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Lassy...looks like you're having some fun here! That's a pretty sweet wake IMO.

Guys...appreciate the insight. I guess I'll do some searching for a good deal on the x Series bags. I know that there are pumps all over ebay right now, so that should be easy. Sounds like everyone is saying that these bags are worth the extra $$$.

I can't wait to get this stuff installed this spring...have my name on a waitlist for a slip on Lake Minnetonka for 2007...hoping things work out so I can put a few more hours on the MC next year.

the boat will bounce up and down (porpoising???) if you have too much weight in the back. i have a 99 xstar and i just installed a auto fill ballast system with (2) 700lb bags in the back (1) ski locker bag like yours and (1) bow sac to go underneath the front seats.

but before that, when i was manually filling bags, i'd put 500lb bags on either side of the engine, a 500lb lauch pad seat sac between the driver and observer seat....and then another 500lb bag in the open area in the bow..........

this is the wake with the 4 bag set up prior to the ballast install.....we had a few people in the boat too. this was running around 21mph....a little curly for my taste but was nice for slayshin
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/ericlassiterspics/Wakeboarding/IMG_2865.jpg

SDAhockey21
12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
ya that is definately a nice size wake man!!

lassy
12-29-2006, 09:27 AM
buy some fly high tsunami pumps...they are the best pumps i've ever tried...and i've used my fair share of pumps over the last few summers. try to find some used, or just break down and buy them new..........they are worth it for filling and emptying manually.