PDA

View Full Version : Some people pissed

kycat2007
12-27-2006, 02:33 PM
I read this over the weekend and I think some may have interest in this.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006612260321

Mag_Red
12-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Not me as my houseboat isn't documented with the Coast Guard. There are a lot of people at my marina that documented their boat specifically to avoid paying property taxes. I wouldn't mind seeing them pay their dues.8p

kycat2007
12-27-2006, 04:48 PM
I think it kinda sucks but I think alot of things kinda suck.

Ric
12-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Is the Aponte guy an elected official?

Strolling the marinas in his district, with their "tens of millions of dollars worth of boats" docked side-by-side, inspired him to contact the Revenue Department, the chief said.
"These people are perfectly capable of paying the tax," Aponte said.

kycat2007
12-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Not sure
He might not have watned to open that can of worms. Lots of money out there to possibly hurt him in the future.

Leroy
12-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Well I'm all for the tax. I also like that it is going for education in KY. I would say the percent of yacht owners is pretty small.

kycat2007
12-28-2006, 10:35 AM
It is not just yacht owners it is houseboats as well. If you look at Cumberland and Dale Hollow you would see that those are very big numbers. The Yachts come into play at the Ohio River. I do not own one but I can see both sides of the deal.

bigmac
12-28-2006, 11:36 AM
How is this different than the many other states in the US that levy personal property taxes on boats? How is it different than levying personal property taxes on cars, or, say, California's luxury tax on such items?

I'm not sure of the basis for a valid complaint here. It sounds a lot like the usual complaining that occurs every time another tax loophole is identified and closed.

kycat2007
12-28-2006, 11:40 AM
I think it is one of well we never paid them and why now? Some may not have bought the boat if they knew of the tax but I do doubt that. You are correct loophole is closed. I think that you may see some move their boats to other water if it will save them some cash. It will be interesting but probably will stay the same after all is done.

bigmac
12-28-2006, 12:54 PM
I think it is one of well we never paid them and why now? Some may not have bought the boat if they knew of the tax but I do doubt that. You are correct loophole is closed. I think that you may see some move their boats to other water if it will save them some cash. It will be interesting but probably will stay the same after all is done.

It sounds like they'd have to move the boats to another state, not just another lake.

An extra $700 per year (average)? Hmmm if that's a make-or-break amount for those boat owners compared the amortization of the boat plus dockage, fuel, and maintenance, then I'd say they're riding too close to the edge financially.

The other thing that I note is similar to what goes on around here - complaining about local taxes, especially local school districts. States have cut educational funding to local school districts. School district residents, parents that is, complain about that, but when the school district tries to pass a referendum, or tries to increase its tax levy then we get some REAL complaining. I hope none of those boat owners who want to skip out on paying those "local" taxes aren't complaining about the quality of their schools too...

Maristar210
12-28-2006, 01:06 PM
It sounds like they'd have to move the boats to another state, not just another lake.

An extra $700 per year (average)? Hmmm if that's a make-or-break amount for those boat owners compared the amortization of the boat plus dockage, fuel, and maintenance, then I'd say they're riding too close to the edge financially.

The other thing that I note is similar to what goes on around here - complaining about local taxes, especially local school districts. States have cut educational funding to local school districts. School district residents, parents that is, complain about that, but when the school district tries to pass a referendum, or tries to increase its tax levy then we get some REAL complaining. I hope none of those boat owners who want to skip out on paying those "local" taxes aren't complaining about the quality of their schools too...

Feisty today BigMac.:D I agree with your comments. I attended my first neighborhood board meeting as a board member recently and was quite taken back by the woman who refused to have her dues raised by $50 per year while she lives in the largest home in our association. The logic, I do not understand.:rolleyes:

bigmac
12-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Feisty today BigMac.:D

Heh..you aren't the first one to make that observation today...:D

Maristar210
12-28-2006, 01:20 PM
Heh..you aren't the first one to make that observation today...:D

I suspect not. :D

Ric
12-28-2006, 01:23 PM

Taxes are commonly misspent.

Adding taxes does not boost education, I think we can agree on that.

Taxes do affect decisions that people make and I don't like the attitude of what thehell, the rich can afford it, hit them. Do I feel sorry for the poor folks in the huge houseboats? no, but I don't believe in taxes either.

GUB-MENT is not here to help.
Yep, our school taxes here are the highest portion of our property taxes...
ok, so the state "cuts" educational funding... How bout this? our state takes my area's high school taxes and pools them to share with districts who have lower school taxes... This will somehow increase my kid's education? Don't get me started oh feisty one:rolleyes:

Maristar210
12-28-2006, 01:28 PM
:popcorn: :popcorn:

DING DONG.....

Who's there?

"TAX COLLECTOR"

kycat2007
12-28-2006, 02:37 PM
I heard once that some of the federal money out there that the states could get was not even applied for in some years. Not sure about how much but it was a big number. I agree that throwing money at education is not the way to better education.8p

kycat2007
12-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I like keeping my money!! More for Mastercraft boat gas.

jakethebt
12-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Too Bad! These guys have been evading the tax with a loop hole and now it is time to pay the fiddler. Are you telling me that the people on those lakes that have not been paying taxes have never used any government services? Never seen the police on the lake? Ever driven on a public maintained road to get to the lake? Nobody likes to pay more, but you were USING the CG and now it is time to pay up. Would you prefer that instead of paying taxes, they just come and get your boat like they legally can? Hey... tax problem solved.

By the way... I think that they government can come get your boat even if you donít register with the coast guard. It usually works that way when men with guns show up at your door. Didn't they do that with some of the boats used on the rivers of Vietnam? I believe that the Swift boats were obtained that way? They needed the boats and found that the particular hull from a particular mfg worked well. So they found as many as possible and retrofitted them to the needs of the navy. Someone out there will know for certain...