PDA

View Full Version : 86 Prostar Manual

6ballsisall
01-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Does anyone know where I can get an original owners manual for an 86 Prostar? I contacted the local MC dealer and was told "that boat is so old you can't even get parts for it. You are basically out of luck unless you have a boat that is less than 5 years old. " :mad: Can someone lend a hand?

tph
01-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Does anyone know where I can get an original owners manual for an 86 Prostar? I contacted the local MC dealer and was told "that boat is so old you can't even get parts for it. You are basically out of luck unless you have a boat that is less than 5 years old. " :mad: Can someone lend a hand?

I have an '83 manual. I think much of it (particularly the engine) is the same. I could scan some pages for you if someone doesn't come up with something closer to '86.

Cloaked
01-02-2005, 10:53 AM
I can provide an '85 model manual if anyone is in need of it.

speckeen
01-02-2005, 10:58 AM
I am also looking for a 1986 prostar 190 manual. I know someone was going to scan and post boat owners manuals under downloads, but I have not seen that change for quite a while. Is someone planning on doing that?

Thanks

Lance
01-02-2005, 11:32 AM
JRandol... did the dealer also give you a little attitude when he said, "that boat is so old you can't even get parts for it." as well? What a disgrace! In a lot of markets the service / support is as important as the product itself. MC better get serious about their dealer situation before it gets too far out of hand. Most that I have ever dealt with wouldn't make it in any other industry or with any other product.

Andr
01-02-2005, 12:23 PM
JRandol... did the dealer also give you a little attitude when he said, "that boat is so old you can't even get parts for it." as well? What a disgrace! In a lot of markets the service / support is as important as the product itself. MC better get serious about their dealer situation before it gets too far out of hand. Most that I have ever dealt with wouldn't make it in any other industry or with any other product.

I totally agree with Lance comments.When i was looking for my boat i went to my local ( 3 hours drive away) dealer for a used boat with a budget of about 23 k US and was almost laughed at.Not by a sale clerk but by one of the owners!
That's the kind of things you don't forget when it comes time to buy new(...If that time ever happen!)
Waterski boat is a small world and when you talk to others Mastercraft owners of my region,it seems that i wasn't the only one threated like that.
Since Correct Craft opened a dealership in the province,lots of skiers have turn away from MC just because they hate that dealer so much!
...But he's the ONLY one selling MC around here!

6ballsisall
01-02-2005, 12:53 PM

He did, thats what really irratated me. :mad:

H20skeefreek
01-02-2005, 02:09 PM

Dealers like that irritate me. these older boats are sooo easy to work on. almost all of the parts can be gotten from the auto industry, so to say that you can't get parts is rediculous. underwater gear is still the same stuff they use today.

I've got an '85 manual that I could make copies of or scan for you. '86 is still PCM power not indmar correct?

6ballsisall
01-02-2005, 10:51 PM
That would be sweet!! I would love to get a hold of a Manual. Thank you!!

Cloaked
01-02-2005, 11:15 PM
I can provide an '85 model manual if anyone is in need of it.
Never mind. :confused:

(I meant that in a nice way, as I figured it was covered. Be glad to furnish this in a PDF file. Not a problem.)

H20skeefreek
01-02-2005, 11:38 PM
That would be sweet!! I would love to get a hold of a Manual. Thank you!!
I guess you didn't see sporty's post. are you in need of the MasterCraft manual (not very usefull) the PCM manual or the Velvet Drive manual?

I'll start scanning tomorrow, it'll take me a little while. I'll try to put them in .pdf, but I'm not sure if I can. It may have to be image files.

Cloaked
01-02-2005, 11:41 PM
I guess you didn't see sporty's post. are you in need of the MasterCraft manual (not very usefull) the PCM manual or the Velvet Drive manual?

I'll start scanning tomorrow, it'll take me a little while. I'll try to put them in .pdf, but I'm not sure if I can. It may have to be image files.
Water-freek, fell free to scan, as I will do the same, if in fact we have different manuals. If not, no need to duplicate. I have an 85 w/ Velvet Drive / PCM info...... We'll get it together one way or the other... :uglyhamme

6ballsisall
01-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Sporty, sent you a PM a little while back. Doesn't matter to me guys, I will be ecstatic to get my hands on a manual, let alone a PDF version! I really appreciate it guys!

H20skeefreek
01-03-2005, 09:21 AM
well, i thought I had a working copy of acrobat on my computer, but I guess I don't.

Is there a way to scan a document into even word?

sporty, let's divide this up, let me know what you are doing, and i'll to the other half.

speckeen
01-03-2005, 10:45 AM
There is a way to scan and convert it to text, but you need Optical Character Recognition software, like omnipage. In my experience, it doesn't work very good if there are graphics on the page. You would probably be better off just scanning and saving as jpg files. I would really appreciate a copy also. Thanks.

jayderwin1
01-03-2005, 10:47 AM
are you guy's talking about a owners manual 20 pages or like a tear down and rebuild manual 400 pages?

jayderwin1
01-03-2005, 10:48 AM
because i have a 86 owners manual i can scan

speckeen
01-03-2005, 10:58 AM
I would like the owners manual, if someone is willing to copy that. I would also like to get a tear down and rebuild manual, but I would not ask anyone to copy that. I would like to find a place to purchase one. Kind of like a Chiltons manual.

Lance
01-03-2005, 12:12 PM
FYI... I have an 87 Prostar and I have a pretty detailed manual for the engine and transmission (about 3/4 inch thick for the engine and maybe 50 pages for the transmission). I am not sure if either can be obtained anymore from mastercraft but you might be able to get the engine manual directly from Ford as the manual is simply a Ford manual for marine and industrial versions of their 5.0 and 5.7 litre engine (doesn't even have an indmar cover on it). You might also try going to original manufacturer rather than MC for the Velvet drive manual.

Lance

speckeen
01-03-2005, 06:32 PM
I've got an '85 manual that I could make copies of or scan for you. '86 is still PCM power not indmar correct?

My '86 has an indmar engine. I believe they switched in '86.

H20skeefreek
01-03-2005, 06:34 PM

Oh, I may not be much help then.

Lance
01-03-2005, 10:05 PM
The engine manual that I received from Mastercraft for my 87 Prostar with Indmar engine is from Ford Power Prdocts and is titled as a Service Manual... Industrial and Marine Engines for the engines: CSG-850 (302 CID) and WSG-858 (351 CID) and is dated Oct 1988. The document number is 194-209 and on the inside cover is the address:

Ford Motor Company
Power Products Division
19855 W. Outer Drive
Dearborn, MI 48124

As I said this was about 3/4 inch thick.

And OBTW... it looks exactly like the one on ebay at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=268&item=6941756177&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It is a good manual that has all the information about ignition, carburetor, and other interesting specifications along with the heavy duty engine rebuild stuff that is beyond my capability.

Lance

Tom Wortham
01-04-2005, 06:38 PM

Is this an engine manual? Or a MasterCraft Manual. I have a 86 19foot as well. Indmar Engine. Thanks, Tom

Speckeen, please disregard... quoted wrong thread. Was looking for the individual that had a 86 Manual.

Tom Wortham
01-04-2005, 06:41 PM

Jayderwin1, Would like to have a copy of that owners manual. Let me know what the best way to deliver. Thanks. Tom in Texas.

Lance
01-04-2005, 06:56 PM
To be clear... the manual I mention in the thread is the engine manual which is what I thought someone in the thread was asking about.

Tom Wortham
01-04-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks Lance. I would assume that it would be the same engine in my 86? It's a 351 Ford. Not sure since the date of book said 10/88. Can't be too different. Thoughts?

Lance
01-04-2005, 08:24 PM
I took another look at the service manual and don't see any reference to model years covered but I would guess there was not much difference between the 351s in our 86 and 87 prostarsi. If there were differences they would still be addressed generically by the service instructions. The service manual covers engines that had 12 different carburetors and over a half dozen different distributors. As I see it these are the things most likely to be different between years. If you give me the numbers on your tags I can check to see if they are covered. My carburetor is: E6JL JB 351 which is covered and I believe my distributor is E5JL-12100-CA which is also covered.

The manual has nine sections as follows:
1: Gasoline Engine Service (49 pages)
2: Ignition System (23 pages)
3: Fuel System (31 pages)
4: Charging System 16 pages
5: Starting System - 8 pages
6: Governors - 4 pages
7: Cooling System - 3 pages
8: Specification - 13 pages
9: Special Tools - 2 pages

As near as I can tell the things that are not discussed are the raw water pump, electrical wiring, the exaust manifolds, and of course the transmission.

Lance
01-04-2005, 08:26 PM
OBTW... I will probably buy the one on ebay and use it as a hands on shop manual unless I get the sense that someone here is going to go after it.

6ballsisall
01-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Sorry guys, actually had to get some work these last 2 days! Did someone post they had an 86 MC boat manual? I would love to get a copy, if not, 85' would be sweet too!! :friday:

H20skeefreek
01-04-2005, 09:11 PM
Sorry guys, actually had to get some work these last 2 days! Did someone post they had an 86 MC boat manual? I would love to get a copy, if not, 85' would be sweet too!! :friday:

it sounds like Lance has got you covered best. I'll eventually upload mine, but things are kind of hectic right now.

Tom Wortham
01-05-2005, 12:42 PM
OBTW... I will probably buy the one on ebay and use it as a hands on shop manual unless I get the sense that someone here is going to go after it.

Lance, Boat is an hour away. Can't go get the numbers that fast. Maybe this weekend. Anything you or any one can provide regarding a Manual for my 86 19ft would be great. I did put a bid on the book on E-Bay. But, it's a free country... anyone can bid on it. Best Regards, Tom. Would be a nice to have.... haven't needed it for the past 10 years... :D That's a good thing. Just think it would be nice to have. Cheers.

86Craft
01-05-2005, 01:41 PM
My 86' Skier ( I don't think the Prostar name came until 87') has a PCM 351 motor in it. I wonder if MC match up the powerslot trannys with Indmar motors. My tranny is the 1:1. I have the manual for the boat, motor, tranny and the sales guide (that also shows the "New" Tri-Stars) all in the MC binder. I'll try and scan it all in PDF format. Where on the site do I place it?

Tom Wortham
01-06-2005, 02:25 PM
My 86' Skier ( I don't think the Prostar name came until 87') has a PCM 351 motor in it. I wonder if MC match up the powerslot trannys with Indmar motors. My tranny is the 1:1. I have the manual for the boat, motor, tranny and the sales guide (that also shows the "New" Tri-Stars) all in the MC binder. I'll try and scan it all in PDF format. Where on the site do I place it?

86 Craft you are correct about the "Prostar" name. New name and new body in 87. I have the same boat as yours 1:1 with the blue graphics. Only have 417 hours. Runs like a champ. Have you had any "issues" with yours? I'll send my e-mail address to you. Would be VERY gracious to have a copy of the manual you talk to. :worthy:

speckeen
01-08-2005, 04:14 PM

jayderwin,

I would very much appreciate a copy of your 86 manual. Your boat looks just like mine. My email is ddspeckeen@yahoo.com. By the way do you know if your engine is an indmar or PCM?

Thanks

Scot
01-18-2005, 12:24 PM
I have a 86 prostar manual.... If you still need one I would be happy to copy it and send it to you for a not so nominal fee!... Just kidding.....

let me know

Am_Rich
06-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Do people still look at these old "Threads"?
I am another member looking for a copy of the 1986 PS Owners Manual.
I already have the 15 page pamphlet that is available on the MC website. I was hoping a TT member would have a more detailed manual with details of all features exclusive for the 1986 comp ski boat. I recently purchased my boat from a person who turned out to be a bit flakey. Things promised along with my purchase were never given to me, including the owners manual.

I would be willing to compensate you financially for your time and trouble. Just let me know. Thanks.

BTW: I did contact Scot from the previous reply directly and he told me he has since sold his boat and does not have the 86 manual.

yippikaiyay
06-13-2007, 06:50 AM
If you haven't already, check with MC head office. I emailed them last year and they sent me a new manual for a 97 PS.

yippikaiyay
06-13-2007, 06:50 AM
I've tried to look for the phone number, but customer service in TN would be a start.

TMCNo1
06-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Someone probably already posted this, but,
http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=Manual
Basically one near your year pretty much covers you if info is all you need.

jjk94
07-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Does anybody know what the IBM- number is for this distributor E5JL-12100-CA

Thanks

TMCNo1
07-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Does anybody know what the IBM- number is for this distributor E5JL-12100-CA

Thanks
I think you need to give us a little more detailed information in your question. IBM #? Distributor, is that for your boats ignition or someone who distributes products.

jjk94
07-20-2007, 06:34 PM
In the beginning of this thread somebody stated that dist number that is in their boat. Prestolites generally have a long number and then possibly a number starting with IBM-. I was wondering if anybody with that number distributer knew what the IBM Number was
Thanks