PDA

View Full Version : Gerald Ford

tex
12-26-2006, 11:56 PM
No matter your politics...a sad day for America.

School Skier
12-27-2006, 07:11 AM
He led us through a difficult time after Nixon.

Maristar210
12-27-2006, 08:09 AM
He was from my home town where I was born, raised and still live today.
Rest in peace.

suedv
12-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Always a sad day when we lose a President. If any of you ever want to learn more about him, he grew up here in Grand Rapids. Come visit our Gerald R. Ford Presidental Museum.

RexDog1
12-27-2006, 09:33 AM
“Always a sad day when we lose a President” well said Sue

Hoosier Bob
12-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Not many Presidents live to be 93! Lesson learned no job can be taken too seriously. Great leader and great human being. A very calming soul. Knowing you can't change the world and accepting, priceless! Chevy Chase and Gerald Ford forever! Sad day for us all.:(

Ric
12-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Ahhh the 70's!!! President Ford lived to be a ripe old age and arguably did it all in his lifetime. I will most likely not be so lucky

Going over the news this week reminds me of the good ole days of SNL and also Nixon, Squeaky Fromme, Charles Manson, the Who, custom vans and all that was the 70's

RIP

Mikey
12-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Whats this about Chevy Chase? Did I miss something?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Whats this about Chevy Chase? Did I miss something?
Chevy Chase used to make fun of him being clumbsy back in his Saturday Night Live days. he used to imitate him falling down. It was a joke of the times Mikey. I do remember it as I used to watch SNL with my parents back in the day.

bigmac
12-28-2006, 11:58 AM
The part of his Bob Woodward interview where he denounced the Iraq war as a mistake was only to be released after his death, which it was.

If he was against the Iraq war but was only willing to say so after he died, I wonder why he didn't have the courage to speak out before his death.... THAT is sad too, I think.

Ric
12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
The part of his Bob Woodward interview where he denounced the Iraq war as a mistake was only to be released after his death, which it was.

If he was against the Iraq war but was only willing to say so after he died, I wonder why he didn't have the courage to speak out before his death.... THAT is said, I think. They said he's dead - but kick him again to be sure

bigmac
12-28-2006, 01:21 PM
They said he's dead - but kick him again to be sureHe was a decent and honorable guy. I'm kind of sad and puzzled that he didn't stand up on this important issue while he was alive.

Hoosier Bob
12-28-2006, 06:58 PM
Good points Mac. He was never much for fighting. Maybe he saw this as such. I think he would have been better for speaking his mind. In the interview he did sound agitated but not absent of reason in any way. Good guy, maybe a bad choice. Great cameo in Beverly Hills Cop!:D He was a decent and honorable guy. I'm kind of sad and puzzled that he didn't stand up on this important issue while he was alive.

Ric
12-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Good points Mac. He was never much for fighting. Maybe he saw this as such. I think he would have been better for speaking his mind. In the interview he did sound agitated but not absent of reason in any way. Good guy, maybe a bad choice. Great cameo in Beverly Hills Cop!:D

I think I'd be agitated if I sat down for a bob woodward interview.

If I did that, you could question whether or not I was of sound mind too.

Hoosier Bob
12-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Sorry, I meant to say he sounded very sound of mind! Agitated yes but not in anyway out of his mind. It was his opinion that he clearly supported.

Big elephant here!

suedv
12-30-2006, 02:32 PM
We in Grand Rapids are honored to be part of the town where Gerald Ford grew up and where he will finally rest. Here are a few pictures from last night when we went with 3 generations of my family to sign the condolence book at the Gerald R. Ford Museum.

suedv
12-30-2006, 02:34 PM
My dad signing the book and my daughter waiting to sign.

suedv
12-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Some of the cousins. They live in Grand Rapids, Muskegon MI, and Bolton Ontario (near Toronto)

suedv
12-30-2006, 02:38 PM
This is the museum where President Ford will be buried.

milkmania
01-02-2007, 11:20 AM
watching the funeral now

this pic gives me chills

http://www.murphyenterprises.com/images/Books/Historic/Shadow.jpg

probably be a long time before we have 5 presidents living at one time again

:(

Kyle's_prostar205
01-02-2007, 03:36 PM
As a younger person in this world I see this as a true loss to the American way of life. If you look at Ford's life and how he came to do things and it was not about an agenda, mission to go to war etc... He wanted to be a president for all the right reasons. He will forever leave a huge mark on our American History! God Bless!!!!:)

Maristar210
01-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Sue and Rick DV are the only people on here that know how close I live to the airport. I got lucky and saw Air Force one land today. ( I live next to final approach) Took my breath away and put a lump in my throat.

Rest in Peace Gerald Ford

Sorry I forget to grab the camera

BIGBADBLUE
01-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Ford payed a big price for pardoning Nixon but it was the right thing to do. No matter your politics you must respect him as he was all about America and not about what party he was in.

The interesting thing about Ford is him being portrayed as clumsey. He was probably the most athletic president we have ever had. 2 time all american as center at Michigan. Terrible golfer but a great man.

Sad day indeed!!!