PDA

View Full Version : Joomla help

2QWICK
12-26-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm sure there as to be at least one other developer on here so I figured I'd post up... I'm trying to integrate a forum (PhpBB or VBulliten)with my Joomla site and am stuck!

Ric
12-26-2006, 05:08 PM
I have the same problem over here. Ya just can't get good people anymore. With Joomla, it's ALL about people.

BUMP

dmayer84
12-26-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm sure there as to be at least one other developer on here so I figured I'd post up... I'm trying to integrate a forum (PhpBB or VBulliten)with my Joomla site and am stuck!

What is the exact problem that you are having? Are you recieving a specific error of any type or does it just display the code that you insert for phpbb?

2QWICK
12-27-2006, 09:02 AM
Well no specific issues yet.. I'm just stuck on what to do. A buddy of mine deployed a Joomla site for me on his co-lo which is great... but when I asked him to help me get a decent forum going he pretty much told me to figure it out. We're good friends but hes too busy to help and I know very little about PHP or Joomla. If it was .Net sitting on my server I could knock it out but im flying blind and really need to get this site up and running soon. I currently have the Joomla forum installed just for ease of use but i just dont think its very user friendly and unless you're REALLY into the forum topics it will detract from user buyin. SO in essence im lost in a sea of patches, hacks, and forum options with no clear direction.

Any help would be great!!

dmayer84
12-27-2006, 09:23 AM
From what I saw with Joomla with the account that I got yesterday that it is for the end user that does not know all that much. You would have to upload the multiple php pages for joomla to have phpbb run on it and I could not find a way to upload your own pages. I noticed that they run their application over php so they do run php on their server. I think the best way to do it if you can not upload pages to their site is to host your own php server and then redirect to that site.

2QWICK
12-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Well I "could" get RDP access from my friend but i wouldnt know what to do with it....

dmayer84
12-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Remote Desktop Protocol. It would make it so that it was if you were sitting at the keyboard and mouse of that machine.

2QWICK
12-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Oh no I know that... I mean I wouldn't know what to do with the PHP code once i was on the server. Sometimes things that are made to be easy are WAy too complicated. Aside from the content management I could have built the site in .Net by now with the forum of my choice.

dmayer84
12-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Personally I think all these 3rd party services make it much more difficult when you want to build most of your site with them and then integrate part of your own stuff. It has to be all theirs or none. I just do all my own from scratch.

Leroy
12-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Have you been through this how to page? Pretty cool set of sw, I had not seen this before.

http://dev.joomla.org/content/view/2013/93/

If you don't mind me asking what are you doing with joomla?

2QWICK
12-27-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm doing a local wakeboarding site. I have this terrible habbit of creating portal sites for whatever im doing and spending WAY too much time for making no money. I dont really want to post the URL yet as the site still has junk data and a terrible picture that my IT buddy edited and posted... still havent figured out how to change it - LOL.

BUT... i figure not to many people are reading this post so... www.jaxwake.com

Leroy
12-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Very neat site and pretty fully featured! So how much time to get to this point? If that doesn't depress you too much to answer ;) I know the feeling!

BuoyChaser
12-27-2006, 11:58 AM
www.jaxwake.com
nice looking site...i too have begin to make the switch from classic hand-coding to a CMS like Mambo, but didn't like that much and like the look of Joomla! so far...

gotta be someone on one of the Joomla! forums that can help...

2QWICK
12-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Actually I dont have much time in the site... Joomla is pretty turn key but the trade off is that you need to use their components... and if you're not happy with them then you are pretty much stuck. So far the only thing that isn't up to par is the forum... its just so clunky to use - I can't belive they dont have a better bridge for one of the industry standard forums.

I did some searches on the Joomla forum and it seems everyone wants to do the same thing... and the Joomla experts answer... run the SMF forum.