PDA

View Full Version : gelcoat repair project for 2007

gtink
12-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Hope everyone had a GREAT Christmas (or other Holiday).

So now I am considering my Feb-April project; Gelcoat repair. :)

History:
I bought the boat X-30 2003 last year. The boat is in like new condition except for a few 6 maybe 7 hairline cracks in the gel-coat on both starboard and port side mid ship. Cracks are no longer than 4 inches, most are around 2" starting from Rub-Rail going straight down. (I am guessing previous owner used bumpers tide with to many other boats in a chain like fashion.)

The boat was in such perfect (like new condition) that I choose to buy the boat anyway (and very happy I did).

My local MC office thought that MC factory may help, however I am not the original owner and the claim for assistance was denied. In addition, they would not forward any info as to the estimates.

Though I am no artist, I have done a large amount of fiber glass work building model airplanes. The difference? Its not a model, and do not want my MC looking as if someone worked on it. :)

Details of damage
6 maybe 7 hairline cracks in the gel-coat on both starboard and port side mid ship. Cracks are no longer than 4 inches, most are around 2" starting from Rub-Rail going straight down. My brother told me that he would have never noticed if I had not said anything, but for you that own a MC you know your proud of it and want it to shine.

I am 100% sure I can do the work, but I wanted to get someones opinion that has done gel-coat repair before I start this endeavor.

If anyone knows a local Gel-coat expert (Alpharetta, Ga. North Atlanta) area then give them my info (greg_tinker@bellsouth.net) as I would like to get a quote from an expert, and maybe just have the work done.

If I do decide to embark on this voyage, I'll document my progress in a diary format for others to use for help like shepherd did. (Nice job Shepherd).

I may need to invest in a Repair DVD @ http://www.fiberglass-repair.com/ :)

Regards,
GT

TMCNo1
12-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Hope everyone had a GREAT Christmas (or other Holiday).

So now I am considering my Feb-April project; Gelcoat repair. :)

History:
I bought the boat X-30 2003 last year. The boat is in like new condition except for a few 6 maybe 7 hairline cracks in the gel-coat on both starboard and port side mid ship. Cracks are no longer than 4 inches, most are around 2" starting from Rub-Rail going straight down. (I am guessing previous owner used bumpers tide with to many other boats in a chain like fashion.)

The boat was in such perfect (like new condition) that I choose to buy the boat anyway (and very happy I did).

My local MC office thought that MC factory may help, however I am not the original owner and the claim for assistance was denied. In addition, they would not forward any info as to the estimates.

Though I am no artist, I have done a large amount of fiber glass work building model airplanes. The difference? Its not a model, and do not want my MC looking as if someone worked on it. :)

Details of damage
6 maybe 7 hairline cracks in the gel-coat on both starboard and port side mid ship. Cracks are no longer than 4 inches, most are around 2" starting from Rub-Rail going straight down. My brother told me that he would have never noticed if I had not said anything, but for you that own a MC you know your proud of it and want it to shine.

I am 100% sure I can do the work, but I wanted to get someones opinion that has done gel-coat repair before I start this endeavor.

If anyone knows a local Gel-coat expert (Alpharetta, Ga. North Atlanta) area then give them my info (greg_tinker@bellsouth.net) as I would like to get a quote from an expert, and maybe just have the work done.

If I do decide to embark on this voyage, I'll document my progress in a diary format for others to use for help like shepherd did. (Nice job Shepherd).

I may need to invest in a Repair DVD @ http://www.fiberglass-repair.com/ :)

Regards,
GT

Check with the local Mastercraft dealer Watersports Central in Buford, GA on Holiday Road/Friendship Road off I-985 leading into Lake Lanier Islands, GA. if you haven't already. They should have someone who does their gelcoat/fiberglass work for warranty and other repairs. Good Luck!
Also, check around with some other boat dealers and if you see a pattern of several using the same shop for repairs, you more than likely have a winner, then it's just going to the repair shop and getting your work done w/o a middleman unless it's warranty.

jimmer2880
12-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Sorry - I don't have any info. But, if you hear of anyone who purchased the DVD, pls let me know. If it's a good one, I may purchase it. I have a couple dime-sized chips on the under-side of my 190 that need attention. Since it's only noticeable when on the lift I think I'm going to attempt it myself one of these days.

shepherd
12-26-2006, 07:19 PM
GT,

I got your PM. I haven't done any gel coat work, just general buffing/polishing. But I'm thinking about doing some sanding following the advice of TMCNo1 and TRBenj on my thread http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=280309&posted=1#post280309

I don't have any gelcoat cracks, just scratches. I'm not sure if the wetsanding process will help or not. I am sure that this forum is one of the best places to get technical help on these issues though. Good luck!