PDA

View Full Version : What would you do???

ilikeitglacy
12-24-2006, 03:13 PM
This guy, who's my cottage neighbour, want's to use MY boat for our 3 months season. The guy already owns a Glastron outboard he's using 20to 30 hrs /yr, only to drive the kids(mine and his)kneeboarding(see, i don't drive tubes and kneeboard).His boat's already for sale. Next year we'll be shearing the same lot since he's moving closer to our's. i mean the guy's a begginner (boat and skis)only takes a few rides a week, his wife skis a little bit more and his kid's 7 yr old likes to kneeboard. my question is: how much is it worth? and Can i turn a tube driver into a slalom driver? Would you do such a deal?

bigmac
12-24-2006, 04:26 PM
I can't think of any possible way to create more animosity between you and him than to let him use your boat....ever.

The entire boat-sharing scenario you describe has bad deal written all over it.

Mag_Red
12-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Are you being serious???? I wouldn't even do it if he paid me $1,000 a month! Borrow your boat!!!!!!????? :rolleyes:

PendO
12-24-2006, 05:25 PM
you can't borrow my boat

you can't borrow my sportscar (if I still had one)

you can't borrow my motorcycle (if I still had one)

you can borrow a shovel

you can borrow a lawnmower

you can borrow a lifejacket

There are only a few people I would let borrow my boat w/o my supervision, both have the same last name, understand I am anal about my boat, and undertand the consequences of damage ... I don't think the scenario presented is a good one, also, I think you would have to look into the insurance scenario (worst case scenario)

Leroy
12-24-2006, 06:39 PM
I don't understand #1.

I can't imagine sharing a boat with anyone. Having him come along anytime you go out, could be good.

1. Next year we'll be shearing the same lot since he's moving closer to our's.

2. i mean the guy's a begginner (boat and skis)only takes a few rides a week, his wife skis a little bit more and his kid's 7 yr old likes to kneeboard. my question is:

André
12-24-2006, 07:21 PM
Nobody asked the more important question.
How does his wife look?

Sorry illikitglacy but my motto always was you can sleep with my girl but don't even think about my boat!!!

JimN
12-24-2006, 07:27 PM
This guy obviously has no idea of the kind of investment you made in your boat. OK, some Glastrons are decent but A) he doesn't know how an inboard handles, B) won't be as careful if it's not his boat, C) has no investment in the boat at all and so far has made no offer to reimburse you for the time he might use it. The list could become really long but there's no point in that. It's not just about money, it's about how people differ in the way they treat things. If it's not theirs, they aren't always careful. Some are but that number seems to be getting smaller. Some will trash the item in question whether they own it or not, whether it's expensive or mot.

I would first look at his boat and see if there's any visible damage.The prop and outdrive are the first places I would look, followed by the hull and interior. Curled prop blades means "NO!, you can't use my boat."

JKTX21
12-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Nobody asked the more important question.
How does his wife look?

Sorry illikitglacy but my motto always was you can sleep with my girl but don't even think about my boat!!!

Haha... You CAN'T sleep with my girl and you surely CAN'T use my boat! You CAN take an interest in boating and join me whenever / where ever I may go.

TMCNo1
12-24-2006, 10:01 PM
The guy must be a real numbnutz to ask to use your boat for his activities. Tell him it would be in his best interest and the best interest of your friendship (?) to make the investment in his own ski boat, then he may understand your reluctance to say yes. Once he trashes, breaks, or damages your boat and just walks away, then it's too late to say no!

milkmania
12-24-2006, 10:23 PM
my wife doesn't even get to drive my boat unsupervised!

erkoehler
12-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Didn't even have to think about that one...NO!

ski_king
12-24-2006, 10:55 PM
the answer is simpleNO!
I think Andre said it best.

JohnnyB
12-25-2006, 08:43 AM
There are only a few people I would let borrow my boat w/o my supervision, both have the same last name, understand I am anal about my boat, and undertand the consequences of damage ... I don't think the scenario presented is a good one, also, I think you would have to look into the insurance scenario (worst case scenario)

I've let two people use my boat unsupervised:

1) Left it in the water for my Brother-in-law for a week while they used the cabin for vacation. He knows how anal I am. It was obvious he wiped the seats down several times a day, covered it every night. It was cleaner after a week of his use than it is after a typical weekend. He can borrow anytime.

2) My nephew (25yrs old) for a couple of hours. Probably cost me $200 in detailing and wet sanding for the chips from wakeboards and skis on my transom. Never again. He has never owned a boat. Treats his own stuff like crap. Figured after skiing with me since he was 14 that he would understand, not!!!

The basic rules for borrowing stuff from others that most people don't get:

1) Treat it better than if it was your own
2) take care of it better than its owner (a stretch for most people)
3) Return it in a better state of repair/cleanliness than when you borrowed it

I have met very few people that get this....weigh if your neighbor is one of them.....probably not!!!

roddydog
12-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Would you do such a deal?
In a word.....

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:con fused: :mad:

ilikeitglacy
12-25-2006, 10:34 AM
actually if i got this far into the thinking, it is because; i know how responsible the guy is, he took really good care of the truck and boat he ownes, yes he knows it's goin to cost him, he also knows that his name will be on my insurance policy, and of course his wife 's gorgeous.But i'm seeing it more like a ski club where alot of different people get to use the boat. I know i wouldn't want to share a cottage lot with someone i have a different with over a boat. (can you tell i french)

jimmer2880
12-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Like others on here - my answer would be: You are welcome to come with us anytime we are out. But, please don't ask to take it out without me or my wife.

TMCNo1
12-25-2006, 10:46 AM
actually if i got this far into the thinking, it is because; i know how responsible the guy is, he took really good care of the truck and boat he ownes, yes he knows it's goin to cost him, he also knows that his name will be on my insurance policy, and of course his wife 's gorgeous.But i'm seeing it more like a ski club where alot of different people get to use the boat. I know i wouldn't want to share a cottage lot with someone i have a different with over a boat. (can you tell i french)

He may be the best, most responsible, caring person until..............

SkiDog
12-25-2006, 11:11 AM
He may be the best, most responsible, caring person until..............
And I'll bet he returns it with an empty fuel tank!:(

Jet
12-25-2006, 12:06 PM
NO, I would never do it.

tex
12-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Call the cops! That dude is on Crack!

Send him this link

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showcat.php?cat=5

JohnE
12-25-2006, 12:25 PM
My first thought was no way.

But, if you trust him enough, why not?

I have several friends whom I would trust enough to let use my boat.

If you are going to do it, though, be prepared that he won't care for it as you would. He might, but don't be surprised if he doesn't.

I'm still leaning towards no, but do what your conscience tells you.

JimN
12-25-2006, 12:29 PM
There's no way I would add someone else to the insurance policy. Their screwup goes on your record as a co-owner. That could cost you big-time. I think we have had, seen or heard about close calls, if not actually had a big problem in boating.

Maybe you can blame your insurance guy by saying that he won't underwrite it that way.

dog paw
12-25-2006, 08:48 PM
1) Treat it better than if it was your own
2) take care of it better than its owner (a stretch for most people)
3) Return it in a better state of repair/cleanliness than when you borrowed it

I have met very few people that get this....weigh if your neighbor is one of them.....probably not!!!

I like that. Our service manager borrowed a truck and tandem trailer from a friend to haul a show car to a event. Before his friend got his equipment back Mike had our body shop sandblast and paint the trailer (it did look bad) and repaired some hefty body damage to the side of the truck. Our end did the bearing and brakes.

None of my friends would even ask. Sort of a unwritten rule I guess

Leroy
12-25-2006, 10:00 PM
That made me think of something, if he wanted to be co-owner, come up with 1/2 of the price of the boat and pay for half of all expenses. Tags, insurance, maintenance, 1/2 of boat, gas, etc along with general use rules.

There's no way I would add someone else to the insurance policy. Their screwup goes on your record as a co-owner. That could cost you big-time. I think we have had, seen or heard about close calls, if not actually had a big problem in boating.

Maybe you can blame your insurance guy by saying that he won't underwrite it that way.

bigmac
12-25-2006, 11:10 PM
That made me think of something, if he wanted to be co-owner, come up with 1/2 of the price of the boat and pay for half of all expenses. Tags, insurance, maintenance, 1/2 of boat, gas, etc along with general use rules.OK, I take it back. I can think of one thing that would create more animosity between friends/neighbors than one loaning a boat to the other - and that's actually co-owning a boat between them...

LakePirate
12-25-2006, 11:35 PM
It appears that you already trust this gentleman. It also could make for an uncomfortable situation at the cottage. The insurance issue is a valid one, but I have a couple of questions before I yell no.

1) How often is he going to be there without you during the 3 month season?
2) Is he willing to learn? If so he can be a slalom driver.
3) Pull the dam toobs and kneeboard. Think of it as a gateway to skiing and wakeboarding. You are exposing others to watersports, whatever their choice may be.

Leroy
12-25-2006, 11:43 PM
I think by the time you have the discussion below you are either enemies for life or it works! I'm against this whole thing, still.

OK, I take it back. I can think of one thing that would create more animosity between friends/neighbors than one loaning a boat to the other - and that's actually co-owning a boat between them...

Cody
12-26-2006, 12:48 AM
I can't let my boat go out without me...it doesn't matter who it is, how much I trust them, or how much insurance they have.

CRAIGTHEMAN
12-26-2006, 03:41 AM
i paid 30 thosand for my boat and i don;t even trust myself somtimes.....not worth lending out

nuckinfutz
12-26-2006, 08:06 PM
My vote... No. The only time someone sits in the captains seat of my boat is when I hanging onto a rope behind it.

You leave yourself open for unforeseen circumstances. Lets say for example he is very respectful of your property, and that he took better care of your boat than even you. But what if he did damage to something, or someone else (either conscious effort or unaware that he did) guess who gets pinned for a mishap? Every time we all get in our boats we take a chance, odds are slim and we all seem to believe its worth the risk. But, I myself am not willing to gamble my friends or friendship with another without some control in my part.

Sounds like your in a tough situation. You can however get yourself out in various ways. I myself would tell him one day that I spoke to my insurance company and they told me that unless his name is on the registration or he is legally bound to you (wife, child...) then its impossible to cover a loss if there were an accident.

You sound like a nice guy... and yes its only a boat, but don't forget the potential damage they can cause and I'm not just talking financial.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Sell him the boat, and ask if you can borrow it whenever you want, and promise to always put at least half the fuel back in it that you used....8p

Otherwise....NO...

Thrall
12-27-2006, 06:21 PM
If that pic in your avatar is your truck after he borrowed it to go ice fishin'.....then no way!
I only have one friend that I would trust to take my boat out w/o me present and this guy is twice as anal about his boat, truck, sleds, etc as I am.
If you're buddy is that guy, then let him use it. Heck, if you can get some free maintenance or detailing, parts, whatever, it's a good deal.
For the other 99.999% of the general population, the answer would be a resounding NO!

Chief
12-27-2006, 06:45 PM
A big NO unless he want's to buy into half the ownership of the boat which to include all insurance, payments, gas, maintenance and repairs for damage.

MSOUCY-TT
12-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Sell it to him, and I will rent you one just because I know how good you are with my boats. And actually, that will be the only boat I will rent instead of selling it.
Bottom line, as everybody said earlier, it is NO.

Michel

P.S: ps 190 01 on trailer @ 25KCan$ might be the deal for saving you...!!!

P.P.S: ps 190 02 on trailer @ 28KCan$ is also available

André
12-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Way too much!
I won't pay for your hair transplant...:D

dapicatti
12-27-2006, 08:57 PM
No, No, No and No.

ilikeitglacy
12-27-2006, 09:31 PM
i like you guys and i think you're right. To me water skiing is a group sport, i've always skied ( some 20 years) with people i thrusted enough to share boat with. Your post made me realised that beeing in a familly recreational situation makes things different and i now have never seen my boat goes by , i don't know what my boat looks like on the water!!!! i put some 120 hrs on the meter last year and i was on one end of the rope for all of them. See i need a driver bad but i don't need a bad driver...

Hoosier Bob
12-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Tell him he can use "Malibu Rod's" boat anytime he wants!8p

Not in my MC! Not here, not now, not ever! That is as close to a "Triple Dog Dare" as I can get!:o

Chief
12-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Tell him he can use "Malibu Rod's" boat anytime he wants!8p

Not in my MC! Not here, not now, not ever! That is as close to a "Triple Dog Dare" as I can get!:o

Isn't it now "Wakecraft Rod"?

Hoosier Bob
12-27-2006, 10:10 PM
That just does not sound right? Do you really think "Barbie" would want a "WakeCraft" Rod? Sorry but it just sounds cheap. Go with "Big Jim" with the karate chop and aviod the "Little Jim" Knockoff!