PDA

View Full Version : Getting a divorce...have to sell my boat.

Cody
12-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Well, I am going through something I never thought I would. Any suggestions of how to go about selling my boat. Its the 2006 197 listed in marketplace.

Cody

André
12-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Well, I am going through something I never thought I would. Any suggestions of how to go about selling my boat. Its the 2006 197 listed in marketplace.

Cody
Sorry to read that Cody.Here,Boattrader.com and craiglist are all good place to advertise.
Hope all goes well.
Went through that last year as well ...
Good luck!

ttu
12-23-2006, 09:02 AM
cody, you will bounce back.

it will take some time and some very good friends, just as you have here at tt..

i went thru a unexpected divorce about 4 years ago. sad thing we have two wonderful kids. but with a lot of work from the both of us they are doing great.

in my case when i was married she didn't or would she allow us to have a boat, but a country club membership instead. one of the 1st things i did when the divorce was finalized was dump the country club and bought the boat. it has been the best thing for myself and my kids...

best of luck and if i can do anything just let me know.

doug

Jerseydave
12-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Beautiful boat, Cody! Sorry to hear about your D (hard to even say the word!) I hope I never go through that.

If you're selling it yourself, try these.
-boattraderonline.com
-usedboats.com
-wakeworld.com
-tmcowners.com (here)

You could also broker it with a MC dealer.......results may come faster.

bigmac
12-23-2006, 09:30 AM

CodySorry about the divorce.

I'd use Craigslist, no question. In your location, either the North Mississippi Craigslist (http://northmiss.craigslist.org/) or the Memphis Craigslist (http://memphis.craigslist.org/).

Footin
12-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Sorry to hear it Cody, I vote for boattrader.com also, worked for me.

If you really want to make the ex mad, sell me the boat for a dollar! (just kiddin).

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Bummer, sorry to hear this.:( Best of luck to you.

(as UMP takes notes and starts to realize the true wisdom of Lakes Rick teachings)

Farmer Ted
12-23-2006, 10:22 AM
if you're dividing assets, I'd keep it

if you're looking for money, I'd sell it

one piece of free advice, go in the hole on the front end paying for a lawyer versus saving a few hundred bucks on a cheap lawyer, especially if kids are involved.

remember it's not the end of the world, the first one is usually for practice.....

JohnnyB
12-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Boattrader.com worked best for me.

I listed on tmcowners, craiglist, boattrader, ski-it-again and had for sale flyers out to all my skiing buddies. I think I also listed it on flipsell.com which I don't think exists anymore.

Boattrader, by far, was the best!

Word of mouth through the local skiing community (several friends and their families are heavily involved in show skiing) was 2nd.

All calls I got came from my Boattrader ad. I listed my boat on boat trader on a Sunday. By the following Wednesday I had 4 serious calls and one down payment pending a final inspection. By the following Sunday, after a 15min test drive, I unhooked it from my truck and pocketed my check. Got a very good price for it. Of course, it was May, not December.

I would list it on craiglist.com, ski-it-again.com and boattrader.com.

I believe craiglist and ski-it-again are free.

Best of luck...hope it all works out for the best for ya in the end!

JohnnyB
12-23-2006, 10:39 AM
[QUOTE=Farmer Ted]one piece of free advice, go in the hole on the front end paying for a lawyer versus saving a few hundred bucks on a cheap lawyer, especially if kids are involved.[QUOTE]

This is very good advice. I have a few friends and relatives that have been through divorces and agree with Farmer Ted on this one. In every divorce I've seen, once courts and lawyers get involved, "the gloves come off"......go for the throat or don't show up.

ttu
12-23-2006, 11:13 AM
if you're dividing assets, I'd keep it

if you're looking for money, I'd sell it

one piece of free advice, go in the hole on the front end paying for a lawyer versus saving a few hundred bucks on a cheap lawyer, especially if kids are involved.

remember it's not the end of the world, the first one is usually for practice.....

that is one thing i did not do and i do somewhat regret it. i tried to make everything easy on the kids and not disrupt their lives. in doing i ended up giving up probably 75-80% of all our personal belongingsto her:mad: .

i would def get my 50% if i had to do it over. but hey life does move on and remember the kids come 1st if you have any...

db

Cody
12-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah, we both already spent the money on lawyers. I just hope I am not going to have to pay for hers. We were going to be civil about it but it turned out bad. I am a restaurant manager and she is a law student. She listened to alot of her friends and has went for the throat. What can you do? At least there are no kids involved. Just my boat and dignity.

3event
12-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Hey man, remember she can not take honor or dignity from you unless you let her, so stand tall. Possessions are just that, and it may take some hard work to "come back" financially but can be done!

I've been divorced with one child, very tough. Now remarried, life is great! I have friends like you that got divorced pre-kids and they are ALL A LOT BETTER OFF! They all have wonderful families now, and they are thankful for their blessings.

So hang in there and get some support where you can!

There will always be boats you can buy.....

Maristar210
12-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Hang in there. Lots of us here have been there. I know there is a bus cruising around out there somewhere with that lying, cheating, kniving, slut whore's name on the front of it for my ex.

That's the thing about karma.... It comes around:D

Do not fall for the "we are going to have an amicable divorce" that is a trap that sucks thousands out of you. Go for the jugular, document everything she says and does and find the very best lawyer you can. I do not pretend to know the women who you are separating with but like my man Ice T says....dey all ho's of one level er another.

Yes I am still bitter, in case you wondered...

BEST of luck to you.....

Steve

milkmania
12-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Yeah, we both already spent the money on lawyers. I just hope I am not going to have to pay for hers. We were going to be civil about it but it turned out bad. I am a restaurant manager and she is a law student. She listened to alot of her friends and has went for the throat. What can you do? At least there are no kids involved. Just my boat and dignity.

don't do a bonehead move like I did......

I encouraged my wife to go to work for the attorney I've had since the mid-80's:rolleyes:

now, it's biting me in the ***

kjohnson
12-24-2006, 02:59 PM
No advice on selling the boat. Get yourself a counselor and a support group. Same thing happened to me after 14 years and I thought my life was over. I recently met a great girl and plan to get married again. Hang in there. Good luck.

phecksel
12-24-2006, 09:40 PM
keep the boat, and when she try's to set the value at 45k, move it to her column. If you think it's worth that much, you can have it. Also have the dealerships written offer, for trade in. That's your value.

Good Luck, it's a tough time, but for me, it was the best thing to happen in my life!

milkmania
12-24-2006, 10:27 PM
keep the boat, and when she try's to set the value at 45k, move it to her column. If you think it's worth that much, you can have it. Also have the dealerships written offer, for trade in. That's your value.

Good Luck, it's a tough time, but for me, it was the best thing to happen in my life!

.....taking notes

Jet
12-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Cody,

This happened to me 10 years ago and one advice I can give to you is to stand your ground, otherwise you will regret it for a long time. I don't know how your relationship ended, or whose fault it is, it does not matter. The divorce should be fair to both equally.

To this day, I am still paying for being too nice in settling the divorce.

Best of luck.

victorff
12-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Been there!! It was the best thing that could have happened in my life. Don't cave in just to be a nice guy. She won't care, before you know it you'll be left with just the shirt on your back. As far as the boat, negotiate to keep it. What better way get another girl, be sure she looks good in a bikini !!!!!

Cody
12-25-2006, 08:58 PM
Glad I mentioned this on here. I was planning to be nice then I realized where it was going. We have been seperated for about 1.5 years. All this is just now coming about. I tried to be friends at first. We didn't even file for the divorce...just said we needed to do it. Then one day it turned bad. Everything I have said has been turned around. All of my friends have been approached by her looking for dirt. Its as bad as it can get without kids and as little as we had together. Thanks to all for the advice.

PendO
12-25-2006, 09:13 PM
what you do with the boat (IMO) would depend on how much, if any, equity you have in the boat.

Do you own it free and clear, or is it just a marital/community liability?

Dirt? Is it a no-fault state?

Leroy
12-25-2006, 09:49 PM
I have no experience in this, but wish you the best Cody and that you end up with more $$ than your lawyer. I can imagine being apart for that amount of time makes it harder to add up the common property.

Farmer Ted
12-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Record any and all calls from her, it's not illegal

Mississippi Miss. Code Ann. §41-29-531(e) Statute exempts from civil liability the interception of a communication if the interceptor is a party to the communication or has received the prior consent of a party to the communication

you can find handy little programs to record through your computer here
http://nch.com.au/index.html

If your SBTX is calling your friends and looking for dirt, what kind of dirt is she looking for?

http://www.divorcesource.com/info/divorcelaws/mississippi.shtml

A divorce will be granted by the court for the following grounds:

No-Fault:
(1) Irreconcilable Differences

Fault:
(1) Impotence (2) committing adultery (3) incarceration (4) abuse of alcohol or drugs (5) insanity for up to three years (6) wife being pregnant by another without spouse knowing it (7) willful desertion for at least one year (8) cruel and inhuman treatment (9) one spouse lacking mental capacity to consent to divorce (10) incest. (Mississippi Code - Section 93 - Chapters: 5-1, 5-2, 5-7)

Here's some SunTzu to get you focused...(remember divorce is war, the definition of war is to impose your will on your advesary)

18. All warfare is based on deception.

19. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable;
when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we
are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away;
when far away, we must make him believe we are near.

20. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder,
and crush him.

21. If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him.
If he is in superior strength, evade him.

22. If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to
irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.

23. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest.
If his forces are united, separate them.

24. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where
you are not expected.

Did I mention spend the money and get a really good lawyer?

Farmer Ted
12-25-2006, 10:49 PM
Record any and all calls from her, it's not illegal

Mississippi Miss. Code Ann. §41-29-531(e) Statute exempts from civil liability the interception of a communication if the interceptor is a party to the communication or has received the prior consent of a party to the communication

you can find handy little programs to record through your computer here
http://nch.com.au/index.html

If your SBTX is calling your friends and looking for dirt, what kind of dirt is she looking for?

Call hers and do the same....

http://www.divorcesource.com/info/divorcelaws/mississippi.shtml

A divorce will be granted by the court for the following grounds:

No-Fault:
(1) Irreconcilable Differences

Fault:
(1) Impotence (2) committing adultery (3) incarceration (4) abuse of alcohol or drugs (5) insanity for up to three years (6) wife being pregnant by another without spouse knowing it (7) willful desertion for at least one year (8) cruel and inhuman treatment (9) one spouse lacking mental capacity to consent to divorce (10) incest. (Mississippi Code - Section 93 - Chapters: 5-1, 5-2, 5-7)

Here's some SunTzu to get you focused...(remember divorce is war, the definition of war is to impose your will on your advesary)

18. All warfare is based on deception.

19. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable;
when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we
are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away;
when far away, we must make him believe we are near.

20. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder,
and crush him.

21. If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him.
If he is in superior strength, evade him.

22. If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to
irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.

23. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest.
If his forces are united, separate them.

24. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where
you are not expected.

Did I mention spend the money and get a really good lawyer?

phecksel
12-26-2006, 02:00 PM
In the end, remember, "it's only stuff". Don't get caught in the trap of paying the attorney's more then the stuff is worth to keep it. If she want's it, it's retail value. If you want it, it's wholesale value :) We had an airplane in joint ownership with my parents. She came up with a value that was somewhere near mars. She "thought" dad would never allow the airplane to be sold. I told her that dad would kiss her feet if she paid that much for the plane, LOL. I had both a private appraisal, as well as an online appraisal already prepared. Guess which one I showed them... the lowest one. Also had a written dealer trade in value on the Mastercraft. When they insisted it was worth 1.5x the trade in value, I insisted they take the boat. Kind of took them by surprise to find I was willing to give up anything to them, as long as they took their stated value.

Don't forget, it's only stuff. Replacement, newer stuff is always better then old stuff.