PDA

View Full Version : Active X Controls????

thijs
12-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Alright,

I have been getting somekind of pop up asking if I want to run 'Active X Controls' on certain sites. One in particular which frightens me is when I try to update my McAffee. I haven't had these prompts very frequently until now.

Why might there have been a change?
What are Acitve X controls anyways?
How and where do I set these up properly?

Please help!!!

André
12-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Sorry can't help beside the bump...

skeeler
12-21-2006, 09:00 AM
Alright,

I have been getting somekind of pop up asking if I want to run 'Active X Controls' on certain sites. One in particular which frightens me is when I try to update my McAffee. I haven't had these prompts very frequently until now.

Please help!!!
If it is a trusted site, like Mc Affee updates or something like that then you will be fine. This is a protective feature installed in windows. Active X is a third party install or script that needs to run in the background in order to make that particular page work properly. Hope that helps. Shawn

LakePirate
12-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Alright,

Please help!!!

Did you recently update your software (updating windows?)

Difenition of Active X :

An ActiveX control can be automatically downloaded and executed by a Web browser. ActiveX is not a programming language, but rather a set of rules for how applications should share information. Programmers can develop ActiveX controls in a variety of languages, including C, C++, Visual Basic, and Java.
An ActiveX control is similar to a Java applet. Unlike Java applets, however, ActiveX controls have full access to the Windows operating system. This gives them much more power than Java applets, but with this power comes a certain risk that the applet may damage software or data on your machine. To control this risk, Microsoft developed a registration system so that browsers can identify and authenticate an ActiveX control before downloading it. Another difference between Java applets and ActiveX controls is that Java applets can be written to run on all platforms, whereas ActiveX controls are currently limited to Windows environments.

H20skeefreek
12-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Uhhhh....where's that bunny again?

thijs
12-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Well the bunny helped. I imagine that Skeeler and Pirate know what they are talking about but I don't have the b/g knowledge to understand anything other than a bunny with a pancake on his head.