PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Pathfinder

theDano
12-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Hello All,

This question is sorta/kinda related to this section and sorry in advance if I should have placed it some where else.

I am thinking about getting a new vehicle (SUV) which would be for my wife and would also be for towing our 93 MC. Does anyone have a Nissan Pathfinder or know anyone that does that uses it to pull a boat?

I have an Expedition now and I am worried that downsizing to a V6 will be alot to ask for it (Pathfinder). I am very spoiled with the V8 that i currently have. I know that the Pathfinder has a 6000# tow rating so I know it can tow the boat but really worried about prematurely straining and wearing the engine too much. Basically I would tow the boat 1-2 times per week for about 25 miles from April - Mid November.

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Regards...

ttu
12-20-2006, 04:56 PM
i have pulled with my gf's 05 pathfinder 4 x 4 and it really does a good job overall.

i would not put it in the same class as my 07 tahoe, but it overall does well.

db

sanjuan23
12-20-2006, 04:57 PM
I just last year got rid of my 1994 Pathfinder. 215000 miles and one transmission later it was still running strong with little problems. I think the new Pathfinders have almost 270 hp with a pretty good torque rating.
For light duty towing I would think that you should be just fine. IIRC that 4.0 V-6 is based on their bullet proof block.

bigmac
12-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Hello All,

This question is sorta/kinda related to this section and sorry in advance if I should have placed it some where else.

I am thinking about getting a new vehicle (SUV) which would be for my wife and would also be for towing our 93 MC. Does anyone have a Nissan Pathfinder or know anyone that does that uses it to pull a boat?

I have an Expedition now and I am worried that downsizing to a V6 will be alot to ask for it (Pathfinder). I am very spoiled with the V8 that i currently have. I know that the Pathfinder has a 6000# tow rating so I know it can tow the boat but really worried about prematurely straining and wearing the engine too much. Basically I would tow the boat 1-2 times per week for about 25 miles from April - Mid November.

Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I understand that the Nissan Pathfinder has an excellent independant suspension. At least, I was certainly impressed by this demo (http://youtube.com/watch?v=zZb2WJSvMiU)...

thijs
12-20-2006, 05:04 PM
I understand that the Nissan Pathfinder has an excellent independant suspension. At least, I was certainly impressed by this demo...
Now that was a good commercial!!

dpolen
12-20-2006, 05:33 PM
I had (until this AM when I bought my new ride) a 2003 Infiniti QX4 (same car as the Pathfinder). I pulled my '98 225 Maristar on a weekly basis to the lake about 40-50 miles round trip. I never had any problems pulling it, but it was definitely at the top-end capacity of the vehicle. I honestly don't think you would have any trouble pulling a 190....just my 2 cents. Nissan/Infiniti have really done a good job with improving their quality of vehicles and customer service in the past couple of years.

SteveO
12-20-2006, 07:15 PM
The capacity on the new body style had me evaluate them when the wifes SUV was up last year. I thought it was a nice ride and it seemed like a great mid size with the convenience of a 3rd row.

roddydog
12-20-2006, 07:19 PM
Got an '02 this summer with 68K on it and I love it!!!

For what you are doing it sounds like the perfect fit. (Mine is also Manual)

Oh, and welcome.:steering:

Ryan
12-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Hello All,

I have an Expedition now and I am worried that downsizing to a V6 will be alot to ask for it (Pathfinder). I am very spoiled with the V8 that i currently have...

Just curious, why the switch to Nissan? Is the thrid row a must-have?

agua4fun
12-20-2006, 10:32 PM
I have an 01 nissan xterra 4wd - 120,000mi. it pulls my 190 very well. not the same as some of the large SUVs, but i have not had any problems with it. (sometimes its just a bit slow on the hills)

bdecker
12-20-2006, 11:07 PM
I had a 2001 Pathfinder v6, with a 5 speed (only rated to tow 3500 lbs). I used it to pull my old Supra as well my 05 TT. It handled both boats fine. Not as solid feeling as my Yukon with the boat in tow, but fit and finish inside is 100% better than the GMC. Biggest towing problem I had was compression of the rear suspension with the Supra, which always had a heavy tongue. Nissan engines are fantastic. I ran 2 of 3 Nissan well past 100,000 miles. The last Pathfinder had 80k and no problems at all. Hated to sell it, but my wife needed a more economical car for her commute. The biggest negative was lousy gas mileage (18) and a requirement for premium fuel.

Monte
12-20-2006, 11:10 PM
My daily driver is an 02 Nissan Frontier V6 Supercharged. I pull an '86Tristar 220 wherever we want to go! Nissans are bullet proof. that is my third Nissan truck '84 2wd HS '92 4X4 4banger college (still running STRONG 307k)...

theDano
12-21-2006, 09:26 AM
Thank you all so much for the replies! This forum is by far the most helpful one out there. :)

Have a great week!

Workin' 4 Toys
12-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Just curious, why the switch to Nissan? Is the thrid row a must-have?
I was going to ask the same question....Although for different reasons that yourself probably....;)

razsays
06-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Hello everyone, I currently own a 03 Nissan Frontier V6 Supercharged. I'm looking at buying an 08 X2 with tandem trailer but not sure if the truck will handle it. I live in the Chicago suburbs (Northlake) and have to tow about 30-60 miles depending on where I'm launching.

Thank you.

Dball
06-25-2009, 10:32 AM
my wife drives a 07 path finder great truck. The V6 is a beast very happy other then V8 gas milage. I pull my 86 190 and my 21 center console with no issues and plenty of power.

jdl xstar
06-25-2009, 10:38 AM
V6 and an X2 are just fine. I can't vouch for anything bigger than an X2.

ttu
06-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Hello everyone, I currently own a 03 Nissan Frontier V6 Supercharged. I'm looking at buying an 08 X2 with tandem trailer but not sure if the truck will handle it. I live in the Chicago suburbs (Northlake) and have to tow about 30-60 miles depending on where I'm launching.

Thank you.

i think the tow capacity on a 03 supercharged is 5000 lbs.

boat 3500
trailer 1500

razsays
06-27-2009, 12:46 AM
V6 and an X2 are just fine. I can't vouch for anything bigger than an X2.

I don't plan on getting anything bigger but if I do I'm getting a bigger truck first because the frontier will be maxed out with the X2. I just want to make sure it will be good towing the weight. I also plan on upgrading brake rotors on the truck to help a little more with slowing down.

razsays
06-27-2009, 12:56 AM
i think the tow capacity on a 03 supercharged is 5000 lbs.

boat 3500
trailer 1500

I checked the weight of the tandem trailer for the X2 and it says 1100lbs. Is it wrong? Is it really 1500lbs?

bigmac
06-27-2009, 07:22 AM
I think it would be nuts to try to pull that big boat with that little truck for that kind of distance. At the best it will be an unpleasant tow to the lake, at the worst you'll kill somebody.

ttu
06-27-2009, 09:33 AM
double axle 1500 lbs!

rholmes
06-27-2009, 12:30 PM
The issue won't be whether the boat can be pulled by the truck, it is whether the trucks brakes can stop the combined weight. That is really where the limitations on towing weights are founded on. If the trailer has GOOD working surge brakes, I would tow. Just make sure you take it easy and don't race, give yourself plenty of stopping distance. Besides, going a little slower gives you more time to show off your boat!

bigmac
06-27-2009, 04:16 PM
The issue isn't whether the engine can pull the load, nor is it whether or not the brakes can stop it. It's whether or not a lighter vehicle like that, with that wheelbase and that track can provide a stable towing platform for a boat/trailer that heavy that will control sway and provide safe steering.

The tendency of most people is to make towing safety about engine power and braking capacity. The danger in towing is driving down the road, not starting or stopping.

THAT'S what the limitations of towing are based on.

rholmes
06-27-2009, 05:42 PM
If he drives realizing that his vehicle is at the limit for its capabilities and proceeds with caution, he isn't going to have to worry about. You could probably tow one of our boats with a mazda miata if it could get the load moving. Yeah, it would sway like crazy over 30 mph, and no, I wouldn't do it.

I don't think it is fair to say that his truck won't safely pull it. If he keeps his speed at a reasonable level and takes his time. He has a wheel base exactly that of a four door tahoe and a track a couple of inches narrower, and I think we would all say a tahoe would be a fine tow vehicle. True, he gives up about a 1000 lbsin weight, but there again, drive calmly and sanely, he'll be fine.

razsays
06-27-2009, 11:12 PM
I really appreciate all the input from you guys. I'm going to load up uhaul trailer with my car and tow it to the lake and back to see how it feels. Uhaul trailer is about 2200lbs and my car is 3000lbs. I guess if it doesn't feel right I might upgrade the truck