PDA

View Full Version : Installing zero-flex tower question

rodltg2
12-31-2004, 12:20 AM
i am planning on putting a tower on my 04 197 and was wondering if anyone has had experience doing this themselves. what is the level of difficulty and process? i installed my tower on my other boat with a friend and it wasn't too bad . the tower on my mb was difficult in that it was a universal tower so i had a lot of options on how i wanted it to look and where to attach. thanks for any suggestions. by the way i hope to find last years tower, dont like the 05 design as much.

mitch
12-31-2004, 11:57 AM
I added an 02 x-star tower to my 2000 PS205. Took about 4 hours, and came out perfect. Lots of hard riding and so far no spider cracks, issues etc. If you're handy I would suggest doing it yourself. It will be at least as good as your dealer can do it. 1st thing I'd do is get a real close look at an x7 with the same tower and take some pics and measurements. Climb underneath, and study the mounting detail so you can copy as much as possible. If you like pls. send me a note at mitchell_mansfield@yahoo.com and I can go into further detail on how I did mine. I can offer a few tips. BTW. I found my 02 tower, as a leftover, at a dealer in FL. Call around, ya never know. Cya!

crdickey
12-31-2004, 01:46 PM
I installed my Zero-flez mini tower on my '03 PS-197 and it came out sweet!

MC boats have aluminum reinforcement plates in just the right places to drill for their tower.

1.) Fully assemble the tower to make sure it is not bent.
2.) Masking tape the area on the gel coat where the tower will sit, this will help prevent scratching.
3.) Have someone on each side of the tower and someone in the boat so all can place the tower on the boat on the taped area.
4.) The tower feet are shaped to match specific contours of the boat so it's easy to see where it fits best. Mark drill spots through tower holes on to the masking tape.
5.) Use the drill in reverse to drill through the gel coat, then switch to normal through the fiberglass and the aluminum reinforcement plate. This prevents gel coat cracks and chipping around the holes.
6.) You'll see extra holes in the feet of the tower and at the joints, these are for wiring lights, speakers, etc. MasterCraft has terrific wiring harnesses with waterproof quick disconnects, do yourself a favor, buy 'em. If you not installing these now, drill them anyway and run leader wires to help pull them later.
7.) Mount the tower on the boat making sure to use the included rubber pads for the feet, never seize for the threads, washers and nylock nuts.

I have pictures of my finished job if want me to email them.

DO NOT use the windshield as a reference point for measurements, the are not always mounted square at the factory. Best to just see where your tower fits best.

mitch
12-31-2004, 05:05 PM
What he said, and don't forget to chamfer the holes.

MarkP
12-31-2004, 05:21 PM
What they said, and dont forget the after photos..

rodltg2
12-31-2004, 08:33 PM
thanks for all the help, now i just need to buy the tower!