PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Intake???

jenglin
12-20-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm looking to put a new intake manifold on my 88 TriStar for a little more HP. I have a Ford 351w with a 4160 Holley Carb. I have seen some other people have a similar setup but what kind of intake should I use. I'm looking at an Edelbrock (FORD 351W Performer Intake Manifold #2181). Is this the right one or should I be looking for another model? Which is better aluminum or cast? All feedback is welcomed and Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jim@BAWS
12-20-2006, 11:13 AM
EDELBROK...for sure

TMCNo1
12-20-2006, 11:34 AM
There are several thread covering and discussing intakes in Maintenance and Refurbishing, Engine and Drivetrain.
One comes to mind, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10133

TRBenj
12-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Dont expect to gain much (5-10 hp) from an intake manifold alone. If thats all you plan to do, the Edelbrock Performer is your best choice. Its certainly not the best intake available- but the restrictive stock heads are also a major bottleneck. They will keep you from seeing significant gains from a manifold that flows better than the Performer.

jenglin
12-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Does one go with Edelbrocks TorquerII or the RPM manifold? I have the powerslot tranny so that gives me more torque then the 1:1 tranny. So I would assume I would want to go with the RPM manifold in order to get a little more top end. What do you think?

TRBenj
12-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Does one go with Edelbrocks TorquerII or the RPM manifold? I have the powerslot tranny so that gives me more torque then the 1:1 tranny. So I would assume I would want to go with the RPM manifold in order to get a little more top end. What do you think?

I believe the Torquer is a single-plane manifold, so stay away from that or kiss your torque goodbye. A more aggressive dual-plane like the Performer RPM or Weiand Stealth would work great... that is, if the rest of your motor can maintain the increased flow. If you stick with the stock E7 heads, you wont see much (if any) improvement over the standard Performer. You would want to go with at least GT40 or GT40p heads to see a difference.

The other consideration is how much motor box clearance you have. The Performer is ~1.5" taller than stock, the RPM or Stealth is an inch taller still. Its not a bad idea to get some clay and see what kind of room you have to work with.

stock-Stealth-Performer
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/7-21006_small.jpg

Performer-Stealth-stock
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/7-21002_small.jpg

east tx skier
12-20-2006, 03:32 PM
For slalom, I'd recomend the regular old performer with some GT40 or GT40p heads. Great low and mid range bolt on performance with the HO heads. The HO heads will boost you about 40 hp, so I'd go that route if you haven't yet.

jenglin
12-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the pics!!! That really helped. I don't think the Torquer or the RPM would work for my motor. Edelbrock's website says the RPM is for 1500-5500 rpm and the torqurer is 2500-6500 rpms. They are more for street performance. I don't wany my boat turning those kind of r's. What if I just went with an Edelbrock Performer #2181(Idle-5500 rpm)? Would that help or would you still recommend changing the heads?

pilot02
12-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Semi related question...

I've got the base 351 in my tristar 190 with Accuski. I experienced surging at 36mph so was forced to disconnect the vacuum secondaries since they were engaging/disengaging at that exact point. Anyone else have this problem and was there another fix? I'd like to update the manifold and possibly the heads but i don't see a benefit if I've already reduced the amount of airflow through my carb..

BrianM
12-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Semi related question...

I've got the base 351 in my tristar 190 with Accuski. I experienced surging at 36mph so was forced to disconnect the vacuum secondaries since they were engaging/disengaging at that exact point. Anyone else have this problem and was there another fix? I'd like to update the manifold and possibly the heads but i don't see a benefit if I've already reduced the amount of airflow through my carb..
I have heard of this problem from others. I would say making the swap to another manifold and/or heads would probably eliminate the problem and the need for disconnecting the secondaries. A little different tourque and power curvey will probably take 36mph out of that range. Call Vince at DIM and ask him what he thinks.

roddydog
12-20-2006, 06:06 PM
I believe the Torquer is a single-plane manifold, so stay away from that or kiss your torque goodbye. A more aggressive dual-plane like the Performer RPM or Weiand Stealth would work great... that is, if the rest of your motor can maintain the increased flow. If you stick with the stock E7 heads, you wont see much (if any) improvement over the standard Performer. You would want to go with at least GT40 or GT40p heads to see a difference.

The other consideration is how much motor box clearance you have. The Performer is ~1.5" taller than stock, the RPM or Stealth is an inch taller still. Its not a bad idea to get some clay and see what kind of room you have to work with.

stock-Stealth-Performer
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/7-21006_small.jpg

Performer-Stealth-stock
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/7-21002_small.jpg
I LOVE the can of Busch in the corner, usually haw I do reno's and work on the boat.:toast:

TRBenj
12-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Roddy, Im expecting my A/B sponsorship to come through any day now.

Jenglin, choosing a more aggressive dual plane rated up to 6500 RPM will not make youre motor turn that high- it just means it is capable of supporting motors with that powerband. I installed the Stealth (comparable to the Performer RPM) on my boat after a lot of research, as these intakes have stronger midrange than the standard Performer (which I bought and almost installed). They may give up some low end torque (below 1500 RPM), but luckily our boats never operate there- I dont know of any inboard that doesnt get an instant 2500-3000 RPM out of the hole.

That being said, you wont notice the difference if you dont upgrade the heads. The Performer will still make a nice upgrade.

Pilot, you should consider changing the power valve in your carb. The PV is rated at the amount of vacuum required to open it. The 6.5 PV usually comes stock on our 4160. For some reason SkiDIM has been selling rebuild kits with the 2.5 PV- making the secondaries kick in at a higher RPM. The 2.5 seems pretty extreme to me- I would try a 5.5 or 4.5 and that should solve your problem.

Conversely, high-flow intakes will sometimes require the use of a higher # PV due to the increased airflow- thus a smaller difference in atmospheric pressure. I installed a 7.5 after putting on my intake.