PDA

View Full Version : Staying fit in the Off-Season

Monte
12-20-2006, 09:27 AM
I have my YMCA membership, and try to work out at least once a month.:rolleyes: Outside of 12oz curls, what do some of our fellow TT members do to stay fit while we can't get out on the H2O?

Jesus_Freak
12-20-2006, 09:59 AM
I was going to post this. Ya beat me to it. Lets hear that advice people.

MarkP
12-20-2006, 10:10 AM
15 miles + or - one time every weekend in the woods with the mountain bike. Along with a few short rides in the neighborhood a few times a week. Itís the first year/off season Iíve tried this but I feel better now, (two months after ski season) than I felt in July..

Byrdman
12-20-2006, 10:19 AM
I try to go to the Gym 3 times a week if its nasty outside. If its nice, I go Wakeboarding (Yeah, I'm rubbing it in). Seriously, anything you can do will help. Park at the back of the mall lot to walk more, take the stairs insted of the elevator, etc. For me, its easier to stay in shape than to get back in shape. BTW, I also do the 12 oz curls as well...

Monte
12-20-2006, 10:30 AM
I try to go to the Gym 3 times a week if its nasty outside. If its nice, I go Wakeboarding (Yeah, I'm rubbing it in). Seriously, anything you can do will help. Park at the back of the mall lot to walk more, take the stairs insted of the elevator, etc. For me, its easier to stay in shape than to get back in shape. BTW, I also do the 12 oz curls as well...

What is your work out routine? Cardio? Upper body? Lower body? Free weights or machine?

Sodar
12-20-2006, 10:37 AM
I try to dedicate at least an hour each day to trying to stay in shape.
Here is my ritual... it is getting a little monotonous now, so I think I am going to change it up for the New Year...

Right Now this is my routine:
3 mile run every other day
1 mile run on off days along a green belt with benches every 100-200 yards, where I do 15 push ups or 30 sit ups.

Byrdman
12-20-2006, 02:02 PM
I usually go to the Gym Tues, Wed and Thurs. I do 20 min of cardio, hard cardio(not half-assing it). IMO, you can get a good cardio workout in less than 30 min if you want to. After the cardio, I do Chest & Triceps on Tues, Legs and shoulders on Tues and Back and Biceps on Thurs. If I miss any day I try to make up on Fri, Sat, or Sun. I change up exercises and alternate between barbell exercises and core exercises.

Jesus_Freak
12-20-2006, 02:19 PM
My problem with weight training is that, no matter what I do, I cannot replicate the slalom pull or work those specific groups. I have tried many cable machine exercises. I can lift and lift (squat, curl, etc.), but I am still horribly sore after skiiing for the first month of the season. I also have a handle chained to my basement wall. Any better slalom pull/stance advice?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
12-20-2006, 02:23 PM
A steady mix of the following. some free weights, Pilates, schwin airdyne excercise bike, excercise ball, Yoga fit stretching before and after. 3 to 4 times a week. usually lasts about an hour total with all of it combined. I started that about a month ago really steady, before that it was about once a week. I will stay with it now until I start skiing, then layoff to about once or twice a week depending on how much excersice I get skiing, and doing yardwork, chores, etc... Some friends and I are going to start playing walley ball after Jan 1st for excercise too, which I will add to my regimen. I am sure they will want to go to the bar after we play, and thats fine, but I will not drink. I have really cut back on food too. I am cutting back on drinks, and excessive food. I just want to tone up. I gained about 5 lbs since summer ended, so I am going to lose that. Remember, all physical activity is good, so dont let someone tell you that walking isnt good enough, or "only elipticals work" etc.... its all good. just get your heart rate up, and remember to STRETCH!!!! before and after! stretching is so good for us.

corey
12-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Cardio twice a week and light duty weights once a week. Trying to get my biking legs back for some long distance rides this summer so been hitting the bike up an abnormal amount.

shepherd
12-20-2006, 02:49 PM
My problem with weight training is that, no matter what I do, I cannot replicate the slalom pull or work those specific groups. I have tried many cable machine exercises. I can lift and lift (squat, curl, etc.), but I am still horribly sore after skiiing for the first month of the season. I also have a handle chained to my basement wall. Any better slalom pull/stance advice?

I've done a lot of heavy weight training in the past with the sole aim of gaining muscle. But I've found that does very little for getting me into slalom skiing shape except that the increase in strength maybe helps. I've decided to concentrate on more aerobic and balancing exercises this year.

This probably won't work for most of you, but every day at work I have a reminder pop up on my computer to "Exercise" at 11:00 am. I close and lock my office door and do about 15 - 20 minutes of ab work (mostly crunches) and stretching (including a few "yoga moves" I've picked up here and there). I believe doing this 3 to 5 times a week, in addition to my usual activity (jogging and waterskiing), has really helped my skiing a lot.

starman205
12-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Bowflex routine 3 times a week, ride for 30 minutes on my road bike mounted to a Cycleops Fluid 2 Bike trainer twice a week. :)

sanjuan23
12-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Bowflex routine 3 times a week, ride for 30 minutes on my road bike mounted to a Cycleops Fluid 2 Bike trainer twice a week. :)

Starman, The wife and I are thinking about purchasing a bowflex. Positives/Negatives??? Thanks!

east tx skier
12-20-2006, 03:28 PM
I run about 2.5 miles per day 3 to 4 times per week year round. Ab workout 4x per week. I also use a bow flex or weights for about an hour twice per week year round.

loeweb
12-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Keep your pulling muscles (lats traps and low back) by performing 3 position rows. Upright, bent over, and seated rows. I try to do these each normal for a set followed by a half set of very slow exercises. the problem with waterskiing and weight training is it is nearly impossible to perform isometric exercises on your back like you do when you are skiing, and since a lot of the skiing soreness comes from that isometric flex ( no change in muscle length) it is hard to work these muscles in that manner. Hope these lifts help. I would also do your rows on the same day that you work your upper body (bench, curls, triceps, shoulders) Many lifting people will tell you to work your push muscles together (pecs, delts, tris) with pull groups (bis, back) in between sets to keep your upper body toned.

Remember sets of less than 10 for strength and more than 12 for endurance. Right now in the fresh off season I am lifting for strength/endurance (3 sets of 8-10) in a month or so I will be lifting 3x4-6 for pure strength then a couple weeks after that it will be strength/endo (3x10-12) finishing with 4x15-20 the month for endurance to get ready for the season.

Just me. hope it is helpful

ggroller
12-20-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm running two miles every other day, ab work twice a week, pushups, curls, and triceps three times a week.

JohnE
12-20-2006, 04:58 PM
I run twice a week, lift twice a week, and Karate (karazenpo) twice a week on average. Some weeks I'll do more of one than the other. This summer I fell further out of shape that I'd been in a while, but am back on track, now.

bcampbe7
12-20-2006, 05:06 PM
I bought this a couple weeks ago:

ProForm Elliptical Trainer (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Fitness&pid=00628645000&vertical=FIT&subcat=Ellipticals&BV_SessionID=@@@@1623147588.1166652215@@@@&BV_EngineID=cckfaddjjjddmigcefecemldffidfni.0)

I haven't lost a pound! I guess sitting on the couch staring at it is not the proper way to use it! :D :rolleyes:

Seriously though... It is a great workout. The first time I used it I thought I was going to die. I barely made it through a 25 minute workout on the thing. I am working my way up to the 45 minute total body workout.

Monte
12-20-2006, 05:24 PM
15 miles + or - one time every weekend in the woods with the mountain bike. Along with a few short rides in the neighborhood a few times a week. Itís the first year/off season Iíve tried this but I feel better now, (two months after ski season) than I felt in July..

I guess I could pull the ole Mountain Bike down.. I used to go a lot before my daughter was born. I can't really run, because I learned in High School Cross Country that I am flat footed and long distance runs cause me major pain in the schinns and ankles:( .. I can pedal all day:rolleyes:

Anybody else ever ridden Tsali?

Thanks everbody for the suggestions. Keep em coming!:popcorn:

trickskier
12-20-2006, 05:33 PM
I can't do anything for another 6 weeks. Just had hernia surgery. But I hope to be skiing by late Feb........Weather permitting

east tx skier
12-20-2006, 05:34 PM
I bought this a couple weeks ago:

ProForm Elliptical Trainer (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Fitness&pid=00628645000&vertical=FIT&subcat=Ellipticals&BV_SessionID=@@@@1623147588.1166652215@@@@&BV_EngineID=cckfaddjjjddmigcefecemldffidfni.0)

I haven't lost a pound! I guess sitting on the couch staring at it is not the proper way to use it! :D :rolleyes:

Seriously though... It is a great workout. The first time I used it I thought I was going to die. I barely made it through a 25 minute workout on the thing. I am working my way up to the 45 minute total body workout.

We had that one. It was great until the magnetic tension gave way. Sears wanted $80 for a house call and we didn't want to drag it over there. We bought a treadmill.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Starman, The wife and I are thinking about purchasing a bowflex. Positives/Negatives??? Thanks!
AWESOME!!! (POSITIVE.....);)

Maristar210
12-21-2006, 08:22 AM
I was running 3 miles 3 times a week until around Thanksgiving and it turned colder. Since then I have been enjoying food and beverage handsomely and have gained ten pounds. I can't wait for the holidays to be over so I can cease all the eating and return to losing some lazy pounds.....

Sounds like a many of you are working out routinley.....

or your a bunch of BS artists......

(UMP:D )

Workin' 4 Toys
12-21-2006, 08:29 AM
I have my YMCA membership, and try to work out at least once a month.:rolleyes: Outside of 12oz curls, what do some of our fellow TT members do to stay fit while we can't get out on the H2O?
We are in process of putting our fitness room back together, so back to it very soon.:o
We have 2 treadmills, Bowflex with leg extension attachment, Eliptical machine, Flat bench with leg curl attachments, Recumbent bike, Stationary bike, Chin up and dipping stand, Barbells, Heavy bag. And soon to be abdominal bench.

M Shore
12-23-2006, 01:09 PM
Stay on the water all the time love southwest florida!!!water about 70 this morning good old Myakka river

TMCNo1
12-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Thought this was cute,

Leroy
12-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Not enough, but running 25 minutes on treadmill ~twice a week along with small weight workout. We have an exercise room at work. Biking twice a week. I have managed to lose about 25 pounds since July. Feel luck to have only added 5 during the holidays!