PDA

View Full Version : How to teach your kids to ski

jimmer2880
08-03-2004, 06:29 AM
Another re-make from the old site...

Here is 4 year old Jakey (son of a friend of mine) his first kneeboard ride....

jimmer2880
08-03-2004, 06:31 AM
I have the rope ran through a snap mounted mid-way out the boom then back to the pilon. He kneeled on the board on the swim platform. His dad grabbed the rear of the board, I the nose. We moved him into place & gave him the handle. Boat went in-gear.... When he was stable, his dad let go of the back of the board... after a while, I released the nose.

Here's a pic of the rig.

jimmer2880
08-03-2004, 06:34 AM
The rope is wrapped around the pilon a couple of times. This really works out well as after they are confident, you can slowly let the rope out a bit so they can play on the boat wake.

Also - if they fall - someone (preferrably Daddy or Mommy) needs to jump off the boat ASAP to be with them as soon as they can. It's real intimidating for a 4-year old to be all by yourself while the boat turns around, etc.

Taught several to kneeboard this way - never had one not like it, or not get it on their first try.

:headbang:

h20_skidog
08-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the photos!
I now see what you were talking about on the old site. :toast:

jimmer2880
08-03-2004, 12:35 PM
sorry it took soo long.... my only kid is only 16 months old - so she wasn't quite ready yet for the kneeboard. Guess she'll have to wait till next year :D

The coolest thing about this rig is that all they have to do is hold on. With the low center of gravity of the kneeboard combined with the low speed (which can be fine-tuned by your excellent wifey driver) combined with you being able to physically hold onto the board while moving until they are comfortable - there really is no possiblity of failure.

That was one heck of a long run-on sentence. I know we have a spelling nazi... do we also have a grammer nazzi here anywhere:eek: ?

jbfootin
08-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Great idea for starting kids out. I like the ideal of having the rigging to be able to let them further back behind the boat as they get comfortable. Do you have the rope tied off at the pylon or a 4th person holding it? (1-front of board 2-back of board 3-driver 4-hold rope?) Could make for a full boat!

jimmer2880
08-14-2004, 09:29 PM
I have the rope tied off to the pilon. Actually - it's only wrapped around the pilon a couple of times. Only 3 people required, but a 4th works good to take pic's. Not really that crowded.

You could just clip the bridle to the snap, but I like being able to let the rope out so once they are comfortable, they can play on the boat wake.

east tx skier
08-16-2004, 11:59 AM
I'll refab my answer from the old forum. I'm a big believer in the zip sled or the bob-sked for the first behind the boat ride. Lay down, kneel, stand, you name it. Great first ride. Got two more future skiers on one this weekend.

Now if I can just find one of these devices that hasn't been produced in the last 25 years.

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Picture removed in the interest of family harmony.

BriEOD
08-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Who is that guy Doug?

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 03:18 PM
A relative of mine and his son.

Actually, I'm going to pull the pic. Not sure if he'd want his pic on the net, and better safe than sorry. So, if you saw it, don't say nuthin'! :)

MarkP
08-20-2004, 04:03 PM
What guy Brian??

Doug that is a cool looking boat. Not that I would have bought it but I wanted to look at one when I was “boat shopping”. Couldn’t find any in my area..

east tx skier
08-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Brian was talking about the guy in the picture that I decided not to post afterall. I don't think they made those Ski Rays for long.