PDA

View Full Version : BMW/Lexus Copyright Infringement!!

Sodar
12-19-2006, 03:27 PM
They Look Awfully Similar! Can you imagine the uproar if a Ski Nautique and MasterCraft looked as similar as this!?!?!?

http://www.lexus.com/lexus-share/images/gallery/fcvs/LF-Sh/g_fcv1.jpg

http://www.bmwusa.com/NR/rdonlyres/CEA23EFE-D478-4885-8F30-157CA972FA4B/0/0656_02_sm.jpg

Datdude
12-19-2006, 09:17 PM
When I first saw the new LS in the mags, I thought it looked like a BMW. PUtting those pictures side by side it REALLY looks like a BMW!!! The taillights are identical!

I will take the BMW thanks.......

Hoosier Bob
12-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Nice looking ACURA!8p

What is the difference?
http://www.acura.com/index.aspx?initPath=TL

Sodar
12-19-2006, 09:24 PM
I find the lines to be virtually identical. I can't believe that two luxury car manufacturer would make something so similar...

TMCNo1
12-19-2006, 09:42 PM
I find the lines to be virtually identical. I can't believe that two luxury car manufacturer would make something so similar...

That is why cars are covered up with vinyl and masked during test runs during design and prior to production and we have spy photos in the mags. Industrial Espionage at work!

Hoosier Bob
12-19-2006, 10:14 PM
I'll take the Acura!;)

shepherd
12-19-2006, 11:07 PM
You can't copyright functional aspects of your design. My guess is that aerodynamics drove the design of both of those vehicles (heck, they all look alike to me). I suspect Lexus could advance a "functional" argument on the design of the taillights as well...

Hoosier Bob
12-19-2006, 11:09 PM
So when are you tellin' speed? He should know you know? C'mon "X" I spent a lot of time in the seventies wanting to know!

shepherd
12-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Ya know, if Speed wasn't so "gay" I might tell him. But he's really an embarrasment to the Racer family if you get my drift...

Now Trixie.... grrrrrrrrrr :love:

Workin' 4 Toys
12-20-2006, 08:14 AM
I see they look similar, now if the BMW ALSO has the 8 speed automatic transmission AND self parking technology, then I can see an issue. With those being so similar, I wonder what the sales figures will look like.

Sort of like Avanti's "copy" of the Hummer H1....Same but different....

I'd take the Acura too HB....;) If someone FORCED me to pick one of the 3.

EDIT- I just found the difference...Lexus put the fuel filler on the WRONG side....:rolleyes:

No Skeez
12-20-2006, 09:07 AM
I see they look similar, now if the BMW ALSO has the 8 speed automatic transmission AND self parking technology, then I can see an issue. With those being so similar, I wonder what the sales figures will look like.

Has anyone experienced the self parking techonology yet? I heard somewhere it took an obscene amount of time (Something like 10 or 15 minutes) to parallel park itself... Not sure if it was on a thread here, so my apologies if it was.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Has anyone experienced the self parking techonology yet? I heard somewhere it took an obscene amount of time (Something like 10 or 15 minutes) to parallel park itself... Not sure if it was on a thread here, so my apologies if it was.
No, but I can only imagine..... I have driven them with the backup cameras in the bumpers, and if the computer sees what I see, it's no wonder it takes so long.
It's only a matter of time until the take driver responsibility away all together, and the car will be the blame for accidents....:rolleyes:
Note to self: See if there will be a special clause in policy for self driving automobile in the near future....

ski36short
12-20-2006, 01:16 PM
When I first saw the new LS in the mags, I thought it looked like a BMW. PUtting those pictures side by side it REALLY looks like a BMW!!! The taillights are identical!

I will take the BMW thanks.......

I would expect nothing else from Lexus. As for the BMWs... Nice cars without a doubt but not for me.

M-Funf
12-20-2006, 02:09 PM
It's only a matter of time until the take driver responsibility away all together, and the car will be the blame for accidents....:rolleyes:

BMW has also implemented an active cruise control system (don't know if Lexus has, but they may have).

It applies braking when the car in front slows down...

Sodar
12-20-2006, 02:26 PM
BMW has also implemented an active cruise control system (don't know if Lexus has, but they may have).

My mom's Mercede's has this too. It is pretty weird the first few times you use it! It's pretty nice though, you can change the distance between you and other cars in the menu... allowing for you to give yourself plenty of room if you are going faster...

Ryan
12-20-2006, 03:09 PM
They Look Awfully Similar! Can you imagine the uproar if a Ski Nautique and MasterCraft looked as similar as this!?!?!?

I see quite a big difference in the C-Pillars and nose. The taillights and angle of hood&winshield for sure though. Seeing both cars in person -especially from other angles- they do not look much alike. Especially in size, LS460 compared to this 5 series. Overall I think the Lexus looks a lot more plain than that particular profile shot alludes.

Ryan
12-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Versus this.

Ryan
12-20-2006, 03:13 PM
I dig the exhaust tips imbedded in the bumper cover though.

ski36short
12-20-2006, 10:14 PM

Standard fare in the luxury class. Audi, Benz, BMW, Lexus, Cadillac all have it. Haven't tried one that I like yet - they don't let you follow close enough and don't "resume" fast enough!

Monte
12-20-2006, 11:51 PM
the car will be the blame for accidents....:rolleyes:
Note to self: See if there will be a special clause in policy for self driving automobile in the near future....

That's gonna be fun!!!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
12-21-2006, 09:02 AM

Yes they do...You would cruise along and get on someones bumper and hit "set", and it would stay at that distance, and if they accelerated so would "you", and if they jammed on the brakes, so would "you". And they had integrated detectors for parking. Signals would start flashing on a display to show the distance from an object at any given corner.

One of the features I like about the Lexus is the touch screen multifuctional display for navigation, audio, and HVAC. But alot of manu. are going there now, Except Benz for some reason.

I'd guess next is voice recognition but I believe Cadillac just started with that. I will have to crank up some POD in one and see if it can diffrentiate my voice in that environment..:D

Workin' 4 Toys
12-21-2006, 09:04 AM
I see quite a big difference in the C-Pillars and nose. The taillights and angle of hood&winshield for sure though. Seeing both cars in person -especially from other angles- they do not look much alike. Especially in size, LS460 compared to this 5 series. Overall I think the Lexus looks a lot more plain than that particular profile shot alludes.
The BMW wins the WHEEL catagory for sure.....

Workin' 4 Toys
12-21-2006, 09:07 AM
That's gonna be fun!!!!!
Especially because you don't need a key to start it either. The key only needs to be near it to open and start it. So will it do all this hightech mobility if it accidentally gets turned on by a child somewhere in the vehicle with Mom standing outside chatting with a friend..As an example....Personnally I DO NOT like the fact I don't even have an accellerator Cable anymore... THAT scares me...