PDA

View Full Version : "FIGHTS in Sports"

chudson
12-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Just getting sick and tired of seeing this and it's only going to get worse!!! The fines are chump change. They are not representing or showing respect for their sport at all, and kids with no parental direction are gonna be the next generation of these mongrals. I think they should be booted permanently, it would get the rest of them to thinking!!! OK I'm off my soap box.

LakePirate
12-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Fights increased at all levels of basketball following the Rumble at Auburn Hills. I can't wait....:mad:

Guess I need to read up on the fighting rules..:(

Workin' 4 Toys
12-19-2006, 09:08 AM
It's no wonder I don't watch ANY of it.....
Play...yes, watch.....:noface:

Mikey
12-19-2006, 09:11 AM
They are just a bunch of street thugs with a jersey and a couple million a year. The sad thing is that the players that are true professionals that are true to the game are getting a bad rep because of these thugs

trickskier
12-19-2006, 09:24 AM
They need to suspend them all for the rest of the season and send them to anger management. I agree the fines are chump change, no more than a slap on the wrist. A message needs to be sent to the players that a brawl could be career ending.

Maristar210
12-19-2006, 09:25 AM
They are just a bunch of street thugs with a jersey and a couple million a year. The sad thing is that the players that are true professionals that are true to the game are getting a bad rep because of these thugs

Exactly, Mikey

Carmello Anthony? Have you heard this guy speak?
he's a F POS in my mind. I have zero respect for him, ZERO

School Skier
12-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Do something like that on your own job and see where you will be. Until people stop buying tickets to see them play it will continue.

bcampbe7
12-19-2006, 09:31 AM
They need to suspend them all for the rest of the season and send them to anger management. I agree the fines are chump change, no more than a slap on the wrist. A message needs to be sent to the players that a brawl could be career ending.

x2...

Exactly what I was thinking.

Ban them for the rest of the year, without pay. Then give them the option of anger management or the door (banned from the league).

Flatwaterfooter
12-19-2006, 10:05 AM
I am a big hockey fan and I have no problem with fighting in hockey. The big difference between hockey and all the other major sports is it stays 1 on 1. Two guys have a problem they hatch it out. The rest of the team stays back. They know when to stop the fight and they skate away with respect for each other. A lot of the times the two fighting are even friends off the ice, but have job to do. Hockey gets a bad wrap "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" It is one on one and serves a purpose in the game. My 2 cents on it

michael freeman
12-19-2006, 10:06 AM
What you mean like this:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/michaelfreeman_2006/th_fightclub.jpg (http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/michaelfreeman_2006/?action=view&current=fightclub.flv)

trickskier
12-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Exactly, Mikey

Carmello Anthony? Have you heard this guy speak?
he's a F POS in my mind. I have zero respect for him, ZERO
Exactly why I refuse to watch the NBA. Nothing but a bunch of THUG millionaires running up and down the court. What really tickles me is how they wear suits to the post game conference as if they're business men. I wonder if they even take a shower after the game.

TMCNo1
12-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Our local TV News disclosed the story that Phil Jackson told after he retired, that after a NBA player has been fined, the NBA refunds the money they were fined after the end of the season if they had been good after the fine was imposed. Now that sucks!

michael freeman
12-19-2006, 10:13 AM
What you mean like this:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/michaelfreeman_2006/th_fightclub.jpg (http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n267/michaelfreeman_2006/?action=view&current=fightclub.flv)

Not as good as I thought. The video I could find cut out must of the funny parts of the fight. I believe the independent lost all his sponsors for the hand movement, and I forgot what happen to Yates but he didn't get off easy if I remember correctly

thijs
12-19-2006, 12:08 PM
I come from a place where is the dominant sport for the youth is hockey. I didn't play hockey as a kid, but ended up alpine racing. What I never could figure out is that the hockey playing kids had to wear shirt and tie before and after a game, but running wild in the hallways all night in hotels and peeing on eachother in the shower is okay.

In ski racing we didn't wear a fancy shirt and tie, but I tell you our good behaviour was certainly expected. In bed early, polite with race officials and general politeness with other competetors. We were encouraged to cheer members of the other clubs at races.

This is simply something I have observed.

maristarman
12-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Exactly why I refuse to watch the NBA. Nothing but a bunch of THUG millionaires running up and down the court. What really tickles me is how they wear suits to the post game conference as if they're business men. I wonder if they even take a shower after the game.

Talk about stereotyping. They're not all THUGS.

http://www.azfl.com/aimforthenationsazfl.htm

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shelden_williams/bio.html

and there are lot of NBA players referenced here as well:

http://www.sportsspectrum.com/daily/index.php#nba

I'm not stating that someone's religious affiliation is an earmark of "great behavior", but if you do your homework I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of guys who are not "Thugs".

I'm sensitive to the whole stereotyping thing.

I know I don't like it when all Mastercraft owners are stereotyped as arrogant, pompous, and condescending.

Maristar210
12-19-2006, 12:19 PM
I am certain they're are some very respectable players in the NBA but the overwhelming amount of tattoos, corn rows and "gets mines" comments after the game are more than I can stomach to watch.

Mikey
12-19-2006, 12:42 PM
I am certain they're are some very respectable players in the NBA but the overwhelming amount of tattoos, corn rows and "gets mines" comments after the game are more than I can stomach to watch.

Word yo! Fo shizzle!

kycat2007
12-19-2006, 12:43 PM
They should let em fight it out like UFC in the octagon.

Leroy
12-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Email management of the teams. I sent an email last week to the Pacers Mgt saying I'm not attending any more Pacers games until it is a respectful place to take my 11 year old daughter. Only college and high school basketball games for us from now on. This is from the earlier incident where several Pacers got in a fight at a strip club and started firing their guns. The saga goes downhill from there and still no correction.

I'm sure my email means nothing, but if enough people do this.......

E-mail:
PacersInsider@Pacers.com (PacersInsider@Pacers.com?subject=PacersInsider@Pa cers.com)

Flatwaterfooter
12-19-2006, 12:57 PM
I come from a place where is the dominant sport for the youth is hockey. I didn't play hockey as a kid, but ended up alpine racing. What I never could figure out is that the hockey playing kids had to wear shirt and tie before and after a game, but running wild in the hallways all night in hotels and peeing on eachother in the shower is okay.

In ski racing we didn't wear a fancy shirt and tie, but I tell you our good behaviour was certainly expected. In bed early, polite with race officials and general politeness with other competetors. We were encouraged to cheer members of the other clubs at races.

This is simply something I have observed.

The kids wear ties to games to show class. No that does not mask ones personality. I have been around the game of hockey my whole life as a player, coach, and fan. I have never been pissed on. Not sure where you observed this. Don't know what goes on up your way but were I am from that does not happen. As far as kids running around hallways. Kids are kids excited to be out with their friends. You have 20 kids on a team that are all hanging out together. You take a group of 20 kids from any sport and this is going to happen.

trickskier
12-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Talk about stereotyping. They're not all THUGS. I'm sensitive to the whole stereotyping thing.
That's true, all of them are not THUGS. Unfortunately, the press likes "Dirty Laundry" and that is what they are portrayed as when brawls break out.

The answer lies in the governing body be it the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc...... If the league would take a stand and deal out some harsher penalties, such as suspension, loss of pay & expulsion for repeat offenders, they might regain control of the situation.

Take NASCAR for instance. Once they impose a penalty for a situation or a violation of the rules, the next person in the same situation faces a stiffer penalty. They rule with an IRON GLOVE and that's the way a SPORT should be governed. I've been following NASCAR since 1969 and have never seen a brawl, that's because the competitors know NASCAR will not stand for it. I guarantee you that if a NASCAR competitor spit in the face of an official or team owner, like TO did, he would be out of a ride.

Other sports should follow NASCAR's lead and take control of their sport.

thijs
12-19-2006, 01:59 PM
The kids wear ties to games to show class. No that does not mask ones personality. I have been around the game of hockey my whole life as a player, coach, and fan. I have never been pissed on. Not sure where you observed this. Don't know what goes on up your way but were I am from that does not happen. As far as kids running around hallways. Kids are kids excited to be out with their friends. You have 20 kids on a team that are all hanging out together. You take a group of 20 kids from any sport and this is going to happen.

I want to be clear that what I have said is not what I feel that goes on everywhere (peeing on in the shower) but I do know that it has and does happen here sometimes and outside of parental knowledge. I have some friends that have done quite well at hockey and have heard the sories first hand how they deal with outcasts.

Also I do want to add that I have certaily been around a lot of different teams at races with up to 50-60 racers per team and multiple teams (clubs) at one event, and still have not seen some of the behaviour I have seen at hockey tournaments staying in the same hotels as I have been on business. Kids fighting in the halls, running up and down the halls (as late as 3am) and knocking on other guests doors. I have even seen two 'hockey dads' been arrested here for uttering death threats to eachother and THE OTHER'S KID over a game.

Needless to say b/c I was a skiier and not a hockey player I have been around many more skiing events and teams than I have been around hockey events and teams and I have yet to see anywhere near the same behaviour coming out of the skiiers. I know kids who have had their FIS cards pulled to never again be allowed back into the federation for fighting and illrepresentation of our sport. Being permantently kicked out really helped us to follow curfews and behavioural policies.

I know some really nice guys who are hockey players, but also have seen an assortment trouble makers. It is also possible that b/c hockey is such a domineering sport around here that my observations are certainly not internationally or even nationally respresentable. It could quite likely be just our local teams.

TX.X-30 fan
12-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Talk about stereotyping. They're not all THUGS.

http://www.azfl.com/aimforthenationsazfl.htm

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/shelden_williams/bio.html

and there are lot of NBA players referenced here as well:

http://www.sportsspectrum.com/daily/index.php#nba

I'm not stating that someone's religious affiliation is an earmark of "great behavior", but if you do your homework I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of guys who are not "Thugs".

I'm sensitive to the whole stereotyping thing.

I know I don't like it when all Mastercraft owners are stereotyped as arrogant, pompous, and condescending.

They all need a lesson in sportsmanship from the PGA, only sport left with true gentlemen. IMHO :cool:

chudson
12-19-2006, 03:13 PM
They all need a lesson in sportsmanship from the PGA, only sport left with true gentlemen. IMHO :cool:

Can you imagine "Full Contact PGA" might be a different story!

Mikey
12-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Can you imagine "Full Contact PGA" might be a different story!

The PGA needs a "Happy Gilmore" type player.:D

ski36short
12-19-2006, 05:24 PM

NASCAR has too much control over their sport. The "car of tomorrow", "the call", etc. Convince me that WWF is wrestling, then maybe you can convince me that NASCAR is racing.

I agree with the previous comments about fighting in hockey: It's usually 1-on-1 and it's about keeping respect. There should be some level of accountability in a high speed, full contact game - other than the man, who can't see everything. I hate the "new NHL".

Maristar210
12-19-2006, 07:35 PM
That's true, all of them are not THUGS. Unfortunately, the press likes "Dirty Laundry" and that is what they are portrayed as when brawls break out.

The answer lies in the governing body be it the NBA, NFL, MLB, etc...... If the league would take a stand and deal out some harsher penalties, such as suspension, loss of pay & expulsion for repeat offenders, they might regain control of the situation.

Take NASCAR for instance. Once they impose a penalty for a situation or a violation of the rules, the next person in the same situation faces a stiffer penalty. They rule with an IRON GLOVE and that's the way a SPORT should be governed. I've been following NASCAR since 1969 and have never seen a brawl, that's because the competitors know NASCAR will not stand for it. I guarantee you that if a NASCAR competitor spit in the face of an official or team owner, like TO did, he would be out of a ride.

Tricky

Ahhhhem - - - aaaaaaaaah

Cale Yarborough come to mind?

Just bustin your chops dude....

trickskier
12-19-2006, 07:49 PM
NASCAR has too much control over their sport. The "car of tomorrow", "the call", etc. Convince me that WWF is wrestling, then maybe you can convince me that NASCAR is racing.

I used to think they had too much control also. However, I've been behind the scenes many times and listened to their calls. Keep in mind their actions and decisions could save a life when you have 43 cars running 200 MPH.

I don't agree with all of their calls, but there's not much difference between "the call" and a bogus pass interference call that keeps the trailing teams drive alive on 4th & 1. There's always going to be error in human judgement.

My point is the governing body needs to MAN UP and take control of their sport instead of letting the players run it.

NASCAR maybe control freaks, but they don't put up with drug abuse, brawls or THUGS.

Slinkyredfoot
12-19-2006, 07:52 PM
I am skier first, golfer second, I totally agree with chudson.
In my opinion sportsmanship is the true essence to any game or sport.

I will go on if I may, TO spitting in the face of a fellow NFLer what he heck is that about, $35k fine what a joke. Spitting in another mans face is the lowest of the low. This action exemptlifies the true heart and soul of a true coward, to make manners worse it was directed at one of his own peers within the NFL. This instance truly shows what is all about to be a true assh..e, about someone who always takes and takes and takes, never gives back, at twisted mind and a pathetic heart..so sad
On the other hand there are true examples of what, in my mind, emulate a true sportsmen. Arnold Palmer, Johnny Wooden, Tiger Woods three that just came to mind, I am sure you all can think of your own... figures who are very passionate about the succes they have earned in life, figures who do/did have so much talent in there repective fields, they were dominant, these people among many others that have given so much back....wisdom, common sense, wits, charitable foundations and the general idea of just being a good human being......A SPORT.

trickskier
12-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Tricky

Ahhhhem - - - aaaaaaaaah

I was there in 1979 when Cale and Donnie got into it. That wasn't a brawl.....The funniest picture was when Cale went to kick Bobby Allison and Bobby grabbed his leg and Cale was swinging at Bobby while hopping on one leg!

Here it is:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXbHQtZH8dE

Hoosier Bob
12-19-2006, 08:19 PM
My name is something I cannot pronounce! You are the six fingered dude that killed my father! For this prepare to die! Nice avatar ****!8p

Let me get this straight, you lose get beat and get po'd and you can't sissy punch, kick or necktie a dude to start a fight? I am just not seeing it? What the heck is American about playin' fair?:o
Tricky

Ahhhhem - - - aaaaaaaaah

Workin' 4 Toys
12-20-2006, 08:45 AM
This is from the earlier incident where several Pacers got in a fight at a strip club and started firing their guns. The saga goes downhill from there and still no correction.

After reading this the NBA and NFL come to mind...Tank Johnson in particular recently.....:noface: :popcorn:

chudson
12-20-2006, 03:28 PM
Just to throw a positive note out there that there are some good guys in sports, when Workin' 4 Toys posted Leroys comment about the Pacers it reminded of a couple of years ago I was at the Indy 500 or the Brick and the minister was giving the invocation prior to the race and as he was finishing up his last part of the prayer went like this: And please God bless Reggie Miller. The 400,000 there went crazy, hollering and cheering all for Reggie who had just retired from the Pacers. It was one of the collest things I had seen or heard. People with respect get reactions like that.

ski36short
12-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Much like Steve Yzerman around here - despite his retirement he's still a Detroit sports god and truly a class act. His number is being retired on 1/2/2007. Tickets are crazy for that game - at least $300 to get in the house according to my last eBay check.

Monte
12-20-2006, 10:22 PM
My name is something I cannot pronounce! You are the six fingered dude that killed my father! For this prepare to die! Nice avatar ****!8p

Let me get this straight, you lose get beat and get po'd and you can't sissy punch, kick or necktie a dude to start a fight? I am just not seeing it? What the heck is American about playin' fair?:o

my name IS Igninio Mantoya... you killed my father... prepare to die!!