PDA

View Full Version : Need some Advice

sanjuan23
12-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Well one of our outside sales guys came in this morning to announce his departure from our company. Since I have come back to work here in April (Small Company 11 people) I have voiced my desire to make the move to outside sales. So being that I am the most tenured-experienced etc. I would assume that I would be up for the spot when it becomes avail. after the holidays. Just short of being obnoxious about my desire to move up with this company is there anything else you guys could recommend that I do to help my situation. Thanks in advance I know this is a pretty common question but just looking for some outside perspective.

Monte
12-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Well one of our outside sales guys came in this morning to announce his departure from our company. Since I have come back to work here in April (Small Company 11 people) I have voiced my desire to make the move to outside sales. So being that I am the most tenured-experienced etc. I would assume that I would be up for the spot when it becomes avail. after the holidays. Just short of being obnoxious about my desire to move up with this company is there anything else you guys could recommend that I do to help my situation. Thanks in advance I know this is a pretty common question but just looking for some outside perspective.

My advice would be to let the powers that be know that you are interested, and not let your coworkers know that you have even decided on the career move. If the outside sales job is a step up I can't see where anybody would fault you for wanting to better your position. I would let management make that announcement once their decision is final. Then you won't be viewed as obnoxious, just as the best man for the job. Good luck!! Those behind you SHOULD have to wait in line IMHO!

Slinkyredfoot
12-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Who has the final say in the decision?

sanjuan23
12-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Who has the final say in the decision?

My GM and then the owner of the company. I am not saying squat to anyone here in the office co-workers since the announcement has not been officially released. Thanks for the input.

JohnnyB
12-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Reading between the lines, as i don't believe you came out and said it.....I believe the GM and owner are the ones you've discussed your interest in the job with? Is the GM your direct supervisor? If not, i would start with whomever is your direct supervisor?

Good luck.....

Maristar210
12-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Footin's got it - go with that...

sanjuan23
12-18-2006, 03:26 PM
You got it. My manager is my direct supervisor. Since we are such a small company unfortunately the lines get a bit fuzzy sometimes. But I understood that he is who I should talk to first and foremost.

JohnnyB
12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Let us know how it all works out for you......what line of business are you in???

The small company atmosphere sure has +'s and -'s....however, I benefitted greatly from working for a small company....small companies that grow quickly are great atmospheres for personal development. Also, now that I work for a large company (bought out the small one), I do miss the fact that my boss was also one of the owners and also miss the work atmosphere that it provided.

Again, best of luck to you!!!

sanjuan23
12-18-2006, 03:44 PM
We are a distributor for about 25 different tooling lines our main focus is precision drilling and fastener installation tooling for the Aerospace industry. Big three include Bell Helicopter, Lockheed Martin, Boeing and the list goes on and on.

Slinkyredfoot
12-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Earlier in the summer I had a open territory come available at my company. I was conducting interviews with outsiders when one of my inside people came to me with a very well written cover letter stating that he was interested in the outside position. He went on about why he should be considered for the position, what experience and results he could bring to table immeditally, and basically his strong attributes relating to our company.
I was very impressed, he got the job and is doing very well.
Do not know if this would work for you, but his letter was the deal maker in this situation....Good luck;)