PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Mouse 'n Me

JohnnyB
12-18-2006, 02:33 PM
As long as I've got some down time over the next 3 weeks, I'm going to spend some time on the internet planning an Orlando vacation (March 17-24) for the family. My kids will be 4 and 7 years old by March. It'll be the kids, me, my wife, and my parents. The lodging is already covered.

My questions:

Where is the best place to get airline tix? Direct from airlines, travelocity, orbitz, e-bay?????

Any recommendations on attractions and where I might find best priced tix for them? Magic Kingdom is definately on the list, as is Sea World. Beyond that, what d'ya recommend we see???

Any general advice for me?

This is not my type of vacation as it will involve somewhat scheduled site seeing. My ideal vacation typically involves the boat or tropical beaches and alcohol.....:D

Help and advice are appreciated....

milkmania
12-18-2006, 02:38 PM
As long as I've got some down time over the next 3 weeks, I'm going to spend some time on the internet planning an Orlando vacation (March 17-24) for the family. My kids will be 4 and 7 years old by March. It'll be the kids, me, my wife, and my parents. The lodging is already covered.

My questions:

Where is the best place to get airline tix? Direct from airlines, travelocity, orbitz, e-bay?????

Any recommendations on attractions and where I might find best priced tix for them? Magic Kingdom is definately on the list, as is Sea World. Beyond that, what d'ya recommend we see???

This is not my type of vacation as it will involve somewhat scheduled site seeing. My ideal vacation typically involves the boat or tropical beaches and alcohol.....:D

don't know about all the other stuff, but Orbitz did me good back in September for airline and rental car for MagMania!

nobody else could touch their prices

Jesus_Freak
12-18-2006, 02:41 PM
My $0.02: 1) Work heavily on a schedule/plan, 2) Visit everywhere using a multi-ticket deal, 3) Understand that your kids will probably like swimming at the resort/hotel more than standing in line., 4) Bring a small pen/notepad to write down your parking spot number such as "Pluto 8", and 5) Plan each day carefully so that you can use the "fastpass" system at each park.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-18-2006, 03:04 PM
We loved this place (http://www.wetnwild.com/orlando/pages/attr_01.html)

trickskier
12-18-2006, 03:24 PM
If you are a AAA member you'll find the best ticket prices for theme parks there. I keep an annual pass for the entire family to Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure. A lot to do there at 1/2 the price of Disney. If your kids are old enough to ride the coasters, Islands of Adventure is a must. BIG TIP......GET THERE WHEN THE GATES OPEN!!!!!

Hope you enjoy your time in FL. 78 here today! Bring Sun Screen!!!!!

Mikey
12-18-2006, 03:39 PM
If you plan on going to disney then I would recommend planning for 2-3 days at the park. We went for 1 day and it wasnt enough time to see it all. Sea World is outstanding, make sure to visit the Anhueser-Busch eatery, they give free beer. :woohoo: :friday:

Maristar210
12-18-2006, 04:16 PM

My questions:

Be sure to hit TScott up and see if he'll give you a pull.

Aside from that. Plan some downtime into the vacation. If you have a dawn to dusk itinery every day it will seem like work unless you have to keep busy. We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel and loved it. Screw Mickey - Universal is much better IMO. Me I just like the $8.50 marguerita's at the Hard Rock Pool. :D

JohnnyB
12-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info thus far.....keep it coming.....I'm a rookie at this stuff.

As for footin' while I'm there.............originally, plan was to use a middle-week day as a down day for the wife and kids to stay at the Condo and play in the pool while I visited a Barefoot school and/or took advantage of the generous invites from Atlfooter and others. However, I just had surgery a week ago on my left hip...its going to keep me off the water until May for sure. I'll have to go back sometime in late fall/early winter next year to get some pulls....hope to be back in good ski shape by then:D

Mikey
12-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Be sure to hit TScott up and see if he'll give you a pull.

Aside from that. Plan some downtime into the vacation. If you have a dawn to dusk itinery every day it will seem like work unless you have to keep busy. We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel and loved it. Screw Mickey - Universal is much better IMO. Me I just like the $8.50 marguerita's at the Hard Rock Pool. :D

I agree for adults Universal is much better, but I think the kids enjoy Disney more.

trickskier
12-18-2006, 04:49 PM
We stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel and loved it. Screw Mickey - Universal is much better IMO. Me I just like the $8.50 marguerita's at the Hard Rock Pool. :D
We're headed to the Hard Rock Hotel Christmas Day......Yeah, I know about those drinks by the pool. I gave the bartender a $20 for two drinks, she came back with .18 and said the gratutity was already included.......

Maristar210
12-18-2006, 04:56 PM
I agree for adults Universal is much better, but I think the kids enjoy Disney more.

Young kids - yes

My eight year old did want to even go to DW on the last visit, just Universal and the swimming pool :D

trickskier
12-18-2006, 04:59 PM
I think they're both great for the kids. Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure has a lot of areas for kids. Fievels playland is a great place to get wet, as well as Rip Saw Falls, & Popeye's Bilge Rat Barge.

You're best bet is to check out their website. www.universalorlando.com They also have a ticket special $85 for unlimited admission to both Universal & Islands of Adventure for up to seven consecutive days.

Maristar210
12-18-2006, 05:00 PM
We're headed to the Hard Rock Hotel Christmas Day......Yeah, I know about those drinks by the pool. I gave the bartender a $20 for two drinks, she came back with .18 and said the gratutity was already included.......

You are correct. I remember thinking last time if I bring 5 twenties that'll be ten marq's for the two of us plus food and lemonades for the boy...

"Yeah... we had better bring $250":D