PDA

View Full Version : Dec skiing

Foiler
12-18-2006, 01:29 AM
It wast 60 degrees today in Ohio. Although I had winterized my boat some time ago, I lost the battle to de-winterize and go out for a few sets.

Althought the water temp was only 36 degrees with hardly any wind conditions were perfect at least for late in Dec. We had a great time and it was our second time out this month.

Not sure when we'll get out again but this definitely helped close the gap between now and March.

djhuff
12-18-2006, 08:43 AM
We rode saturday down here.

Went to a heated lake and rode in shorts only, no heater shirt.

Great for mid December.

Chief
12-18-2006, 08:51 AM
We rode saturday down here.

Went to a heated lake and rode in shorts only, no heater shirt.

Great for mid December.

Our heated lake in FL was nice too. It was about 60 degrees but rode all day!

wakesport
12-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Heading to Fl next week for a week of skiing. Can't wait.

:D

JohnE
12-18-2006, 10:08 AM
There's been about 12 days since I winterized that I would have gone out for. Problem is they lowered the water level about 3' right after Labor Day, and our lake is very rocky.

justinlkgb
12-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Our heated lake in FL was nice too. It was about 60 degrees but rode all day!

The Lakes are heated? How:huh:

bcampbe7
12-18-2006, 10:22 AM

I am going to gues there is some sort of nuclear plant nearby...:)

Cary K.
12-18-2006, 10:42 AM
No, we have two of them here in NC and they are both coal power plants. They intake water for cooling purposes and then discharge it back into the lake. I went to the other heated lake in NC this weekend and rode w/o a wetsuit as well. Water was about 68 in the area we rode in.

Chief
12-18-2006, 10:45 AM

It's the sunshine state!

BrianM
12-18-2006, 10:51 AM
I got out for a couple of sets on Saturday. Water temp was 58 but it was sunny and 70 degrees air with just a slight breeze. Perfect drysuit weather and a beautiful day to be out on the lake.

3event
12-18-2006, 10:52 AM
No, we have two of them here in NC and they are both coal power plants. They intake water for cooling purposes and then discharge it back into the lake. I went to the other heated lake in NC this weekend and rode w/o a wetsuit as well. Water was about 68 in the area we rode in.

"Water skiers - the only class of outdoor recreationalists that PREFER their vacation property to be adjacent to a power plant, preferably nuclear"

Rock on, that's cool.
Signed,
Jealous in Wisconsin

TMCNo1
12-18-2006, 11:36 AM

Marshall Steam Station @ Lake Norman near Charlotte is one and the other is the Belews Steam Station @ Belews Lake north of Winston Salem/Greensboro, NC, 7 miles from our house. They both take cold water off the bottom of the lake thru the intakes and cool the steam down back to a liquid and it goes into a cooling lake, then back into the main lake, and it then cools more, then is drawn back into the plant again. In the area near at the discharge into the main lake in what is called the "Hot Hole" the summertime (when power demands are at a peak), the water temps will approach 90 degrees in about 1/5th the lake before it cools down. Getting in the water in those areas in the summer is like getting in a hot tub, but in the Fall, Winter and Spring it is comfortable till you get above the water, when evaporative cooling takes place skiing.

Cary K.
12-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks #1, I didn't even know about Marshall. I was thinking of Belews & Hyco. Pretty sure Huff went to Belews (since I didn't see him) and I went to Hyco (just north of Roxboro).

BrianM
12-18-2006, 12:01 PM
the water temps will approach 90 degrees in about 1/5th the lake before it cools down. Getting in the water in those areas in the summer is like getting in a hot tub, .

Our lake is 90+ degrees in July and August. Not even refreshing. I much prefer early summer and early fall with water temp about 85.

TMCNo1
12-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Thanks #1, I didn't even know about Marshall. I was thinking of Belews & Hyco. Pretty sure Huff went to Belews (since I didn't see him) and I went to Hyco (just north of Roxboro).

I forgot about Hyco myself, we've never been there, as Belews is so close.

TMCNo1
12-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Our lake is 90+ degrees in July and August. Not even refreshing. I much prefer early summer and early fall with water temp about 85.

It's a unique thing to deal with. We used to camp on Belews and when you get in the water in the heat of the summer and the water is hot, when you get out of the water, it's actually refreshing. In the fall and some of the winter there is a lot of steam and fog over the water till the sun heats things up a bit anywhere the water is warm.

SKI*MC
12-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Heated lakes!? Man, you wouldn't last a minute in the mid west!

Harvey
12-18-2006, 01:50 PM
We skied yesterday. Water temp 64, air temp 76. It was a nice day on the lake but I had to remember not to pee in my drysuit.

We use to have a nuclear power plant lake that we could ski on about an hour from here but they closed the lake after Sept 11. We also had another local power plant (coal I think) lake but the two cities bordering it closed it down over a dispute about who was going to maintain it. I miss 85-90 degree water in mid Jan.

captain planet
12-18-2006, 04:51 PM
"Water skiers - the only class of outdoor recreationalists that PREFER their vacation property to be adjacent to a power plant, preferably nuclear"

Rock on, that's cool.
Signed,
Jealous in Wisconsin
Yea, the third leg that your sure to grow will make barefooting especially easy for you!!! :uglyhamme

captain planet
12-18-2006, 04:54 PM
It wast 60 degrees today in Ohio. Although I had winterized my boat some time ago, I lost the battle to de-winterize and go out for a few sets.

Althought the water temp was only 36 degrees with hardly any wind conditions were perfect at least for late in Dec. We had a great time and it was our second time out this month.

Not sure when we'll get out again but this definitely helped close the gap between now and March.
On which lake in Ohio do you ride?

TMCNo1
12-18-2006, 05:06 PM

That's about right, never need Xmas tree lights, just put a star on your head, cause you glow in the dark!

Ryan
12-18-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm running 3 for 3 Saturdays of skiing this month. I'm hoping to get out once a week in Dec since all my weekends in Jan will be spent on a GMAT prep course. :steering:

Dawg
12-18-2006, 11:46 PM
Lovin this warm weather in the Southeast. Saturday made it official for our family,sports fans... Skiing year round is almost addictive. 50 degree water temp I thought would slow my kids way down but it reminded me of myself of the days in NE Ohio. Ice around the edge of the banks, just happy the whole lake was'nt froze, not a dry suit in sight. Just lovin life. I do believe the 209 enjoyed it as much as we did...SMOOTH AS SILK!!

wakesport
12-19-2006, 12:30 AM
Skiing in 7 days.:D

TOO-TALL
12-19-2006, 04:27 AM

It was 50 over the weekend here in IL and no wind.I was thinking the water would be dead calm and great skiing.If this weather keeps up i don't think are rivers or lakes will freeze this year I donno still have 4 months till april.
Have fun out there Foiler.....

Foiler
12-19-2006, 09:14 AM
On which lake in Ohio do you ride?

We ride at Indian Lake or Grand lake St Marry's. Not the best Lakes in Ohio but they're close to home.

justinlkgb
12-19-2006, 05:16 PM
:o :o should have known that one:D really though?It's the sunshine state!

hacker
12-20-2006, 08:39 AM
I've been skiing twice in December before, but never 2 weekends in a row... When we went on the 10th it was around 50F with the water in the low 40s. One the 17th we had 60deg weather and low 40s water. I was thinking about this weekend, but I don't think it will make it out of the 30's, so maybe not. Hopefully I'll be in Florida a week from now, but that depends on the weather.

Byrdman
12-20-2006, 11:24 AM
This says it all...