PDA

View Full Version : Texas Electic Rates

Farmer Ted
12-17-2006, 06:35 PM
I got this link from my realtor regarding picking a electric company. It looks like Cirro Energy will be the cheapest per kWh, any of you Texans out there have any advice to offer?

http://www.texaselectricrate.com/electric-company-rates-in-dallas-plano-irving-texas-tx.htm

TMCNo1
12-17-2006, 06:47 PM
I got this link from my realtor regarding picking a electric company. It looks like Cirro Energy will be the cheapest per kWh, any of you Texans out there have any advice to offer?

http://www.texaselectricrate.com/electric-company-rates-in-dallas-plano-irving-texas-tx.htm

Do you mean you have a choice of several companies to choose from in your area. Here we have only one, Duke Energy.

Farmer Ted
12-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Do you mean you have a choice of several companies to choose from in your area. Here we have only one, Duke Energy.

not only are there several companies to choose from, they have a 1 year plan, 2 year plan, monthly plan, it's overwhelming how many choices there are for electricity.........

TMCNo1
12-17-2006, 07:01 PM
not only are there several companies to choose from, they have a 1 year plan, 2 year plan, monthly plan, it's overwhelming how many choices there are for electricity.........

Unreal! We are currently paying 13.6 cents per kwh. We are on the "Equalized Payment Plan" and have been for 32 years, paying the same every month for 11 months then the adjustment is the 12th month. We have been at $150 a month for 6 years and have a $0 bill the 12th month and a credit at the 12th month that is deducted from the 1st bill of the next year.

Leroy
12-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Wow, look at those prices! We are around 5 cents per kw/hr, no choice.

TMCNo1
12-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow, look at those prices! We are around 5 cents per kw/hr, no choice.

Don't you use a lot of natural gas/propane for heating, hot water, cooking., etc., that we don't use. It's coming though!

Leroy
12-17-2006, 08:01 PM
They say it's cheaper than electricity to use gas for heating, water heater, such, but after $600 gas bill last year it did not feel like it!

THe electricity is 3 times more expensive in Tx or NC than Ind? I don't get it :confused:

TMCNo1
12-17-2006, 08:14 PM
They say it's cheaper than electricity to use gas for heating, water heater, such, but after $600 gas bill last year it did not feel like it!

THe electricity is 3 times more expensive in Tx or NC than Ind? I don't get it :confused:

Leroy, we live in a all electric home with a heatpump/ac and our total bill for the 2005/2006 12 months was $1520.97. Add your total electric bill for a year to your total gas bill for the year and see how it compares. The extra heating you do in the winter is offset by the additional cooling we do in the summer, so it should be a good comparison just for the giggles of it. I'll guess the difference should be less than $100.

Farmer Ted
12-17-2006, 08:28 PM
Leroy, we live in a all electric home with a heatpump/ac and our total bill for the 2005/2006 12 months was $1520.97. Add your total electric bill for a year to your total gas bill for the year and see how it compares. The extra heating you do in the winter is offset by the additional cooling we do in the summer, so it should be a good comparison just for the giggles of it. I'll guess the difference should be less than $100.

a heat pump is supposed to be more efficient than a gas furnace?

unless it gets really cold and it has to switch to emergency mode (electric heat element or gas kicks in)

I don't really care for the heat pump though, it doesn't heat the house as quickly as a gas fired furnace.

east tx skier
12-17-2006, 08:46 PM
We use TXU. Yes, Texas is deregulated. But I think most of the small ones buy from the big ones, i.e., TXU and Reliant.

michael freeman
12-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Flower mound, TX is still required to buy from a Co-Op because we are in a rural area. So far the Co-Op $/Kw hr has been lower then all the other companies, so i don't complain.

BrianM
12-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Wow! Look like the price of power is pretty expensive in TX. Just curious what you pay up in Shreveport? Down here my power provider is WSTE which is a small co-op and I pay $.075 per kwh which is substantially cheaper than what others in the general area pay with either Cleco or Entergy. Our co-op apparently locked in some great contract a few years back that locked our rates in at that rate until 2010 so no complaints from me.

jraben8
12-18-2006, 09:23 AM
This is what's strange to me and I haven't been able to figure it out yet. I am stuck with Coserv for my elect and gas and have no choice since I am in the COOP's service area. 3 doors down on the same street can select anyone they want as their supplier and they moved in 2 months before I did. I have made 4 calls to different companies all with the same response, "Sorry, we cannot help you at this time".

I am fortunate that since I'm stuck that my rates aren't outrageous, but I would like a choice.

michael freeman
12-18-2006, 12:53 PM
This is what's strange to me and I haven't been able to figure it out yet. I am stuck with Coserv for my elect and gas and have no choice since I am in the COOP's service area. 3 doors down on the same street can select anyone they want as their supplier and they moved in 2 months before I did. I have made 4 calls to different companies all with the same response, "Sorry, we cannot help you at this time".

I am fortunate that since I'm stuck that my rates aren't outrageous, but I would like a choice.

Yep, if you are in or near the Flower Mound area, this all was undeveloped about 15 years ago so most of it is Co-Op even though the area is developed enough not to need a Co-Op.

BTW, Coserv is cheaper then anything else in the area so I wouldn't worry about it. I did have trouble getting DirecTV because I had to go through Pegasus which charged me about $10-$20 more so I would have the privledge of receiving my bill through them (i.e., no service other then billing :mad: ) Oh, court said we didn't have to use them anymore when DirecTV sued them for the right to deal directly with homes. I think they went out of business since they didn't really provide a service.

jraben8
12-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Yea, my phone was the same way until I switched to vonage. If I don't use an IP phone service I'm stuck with Grande Communications unless a pay a recabling fee to ATT for $200, oh, and since I would require a metro line - that will be extra as well.

Ric
12-18-2006, 12:59 PM
I looked at all of that and went back with reliant.. 1 year deal... forgot the plan name..
basically my area had many deals, but it was hard to compare some with others when some offered rebates, some offered low rates with fees etc that complicated the mix...
My answer is, pick one that has no surprises or BS and dont worry about it... the difference from one plan to the next will be negligible in the long run.

jraben8
12-18-2006, 01:09 PM
And Michael is correct. For being locked in, our rates are not bad. You just don't have a choice at this point so if that is important; add that to the check list.