PDA

View Full Version : GPS Mapping Systems

tex
12-16-2006, 12:06 PM
My wife is wanting a portable GPS system for Christmas. She wants one that we can change from car to car with voice directions to help my ars get around. It would be great for me to use on business trips. Any suggestions that won't put me in the poor house?

G-man
12-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Check out Amazon.com, one of the guys at work just got one there for his wife and it was much less than best buy
he got a garman nevo 360 with blue tooth, there was a model under it without that was less. Check prices also on, http://www.gpsnow.com/

michael freeman
12-16-2006, 01:42 PM
I bought a Garmin 378 which is pretty nice. I take it in and out of my truck when I am on travel and use it on the boat to see lake (mapped) depths. You can also pay for XM and XM weather if you want as well as a few other things. All and all I have been happy.

If you are just going to use it for the car/truck, then there are some smaller units that might be a better fit for less money. I think Garmin has one called Nuvi or something that has a lot of car/truck only type stuff.

There is a lot more out there today then just a few years back. Look around and find the best fit for you.

H20skeefreek
12-16-2006, 01:47 PM
West Marine has great promo going 'til the end of the year. If you purchase a gift card prior to the 24th, if you redeem it between the 26th and 30th you get an additional 15% of the value added to it. So a $100 gift card is worth $115 during those days. This is THE best deal you can get on any of the Garmin Streetpilots.

Here's how you figure out your price. Pre-tax retail price+tax divided by 1.15 will give you the price which WILL be lower than any other authorized retailer can sell it for. Don't buy it for more than you need to, b/c after the promo, the value goes back to normal, negating any savings.

Here is an example: The streetpilot c330 is on sale right now for 349.99

349.99 x 1.06 (assuming 6% tax rate)=370.99/1.15= 322.60 including tax for a GPS that is normally $423.98 after tax.

In addition, if you spend over $200 you get a $50 bonus gift card that can be redeemed between the 1st and 10th and January. You can't use it to save more $$ on the streetpilot, but hey, it's free money for other stuff.

milkmania
12-16-2006, 01:50 PM
West Marine has great promo going 'til the end of the year. If you purchase a gift card prior to the 24th, if you redeem it between the 26th and 30th you get an additional 15% of the value added to it. So a $100 gift card is worth $115 during those days. This is THE best deal you can get on any of the Garmin Streetpilots.

Here's how you figure out your price. Pre-tax retail price+tax divided by 1.15 will give you the price which WILL be lower than any other authorized retailer can sell it for. Don't buy it for more than you need to, b/c after the promo, the value goes back to normal, negating any savings.

Here is an example: The streetpilot c330 is on sale right now for 349.99

349.99 x 1.06 (assuming 6% tax rate)=370.99/1.15= 322.60 including tax for a GPS that is normally $423.98 after tax.

In addition, if you spend over $200 you get a $50 bonus gift card that can be redeemed between the 1st and 10th and January. You can't use it to save more $$ on the streetpilot, but hey, it's free money for other stuff.

dood!.....you need to take my wife shopping!

tex
11-14-2007, 11:46 PM
We have the Garmin Nuvi 350. Love it!

AndyGJ
11-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Garmin is the way to go. TomTom units have issues. The Garmin Nuvi 660 and 680 have all the bells & whistles you will ever need and the most up to date Bluetooth software & better volume control for Bluetooth and Voice directions.

Try GPSCITY.com - never bought there, but prices are great.

Leroy
11-14-2007, 11:54 PM
We bought a TOmTOm 4-5 months ago and it is great. My wife is using it every day for home health visits. Unit was $200 off ebay. Does everything we want.

Andyg
11-14-2007, 11:59 PM
I bought my wife a Garmin Nuvo 660 a couple of months ago since she is on the road for work. She loves it. I liked it so much I decided to buy the Garmin Zumo 550 so I can use it on my motorcycle and in my truck. The Zumo is waterproof so you can mount in on your bike with no worries. I bought an adapter so it is hard wired into my radio and overrides my iPod when it tells you to turn.

milkmania
11-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Garmin Nuvi 660 at Tiger Direct $549.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2522768&sku=G145-0108&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1498C

http://www.bhammonster.com/gps.jpg

cbryan70
11-15-2007, 10:39 AM
gpscity.com or check out sams club or cosco those have the best priced units

east tx skier
11-15-2007, 10:42 AM
I've got a Garmin Street Pilot C330. Works great. Low Price. 6,000,000 points of interest. Touch Screen Turn by turn directions with your choice of voice and accent. Uploadable POIs including speed trap and red light camera warning tone. Automatically rerouts if you ignore it or accidentilly miss a turn. We absolutely love it.

BrianM
11-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Garmin Nuvi 660 at Tiger Direct $549.99

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2522768&sku=G145-0108&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1498C

http://www.bhammonster.com/gps.jpg
Have you purchased from this site before? I've had my eye on a Nuvi 660 and that is the best price I have seen.

bcampbe7
11-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Have you purchased from this site before? I've had my eye on a Nuvi 660 and that is the best price I have seen.

Tiger Direct is a great site. :cool:

beef
11-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Tiger Direct is a great site. :cool:

+1

I buy from there regularly. I just got a TomTom One GPS from them a couple of weeks ago. Great price.

east tx skier
11-15-2007, 12:22 PM
For the price, I'd look at the street pilot over the nuvi unless you just have to have something that fits in your pocket. The SP is not much bigger than a baseball as it is.

bcampbe7
11-15-2007, 12:26 PM
I just bought the GPS unit for my Kenwood in-dash DVD player. Should be here Monday. I can't wait to try it out.

BrianM
11-15-2007, 12:47 PM
For the price, I'd look at the street pilot over the nuvi unless you just have to have something that fits in your pocket. The SP is not much bigger than a baseball as it is.

I like the thin profile, the wide screen and have decided that if I am going to buy one of these I might as well have the bluetooth capability since I drive and talk on the phone a LOT in my business.

milkmania
11-15-2007, 11:18 PM
many many thousands of dollars for computer parts! (between $6,000 and $8,000)

and have a computer classmate that has purchased many thousands of dollars also (last figure I heard was over $13,000) but, she's hardcore;)

TMCNo1
11-16-2007, 06:22 AM
I've got a Garmin Street Pilot C330. Works great. Low Price. 6,000,000 points of interest. Touch Screen Turn by turn directions with your choice of voice and accent. Uploadable POIs including speed trap and red light camera warning tone. Automatically rerouts if you ignore it or accidentilly miss a turn. We absolutely love it.

A friend has a Garmin SP C330 and loves it, so I hear Santa and his Elfs are making me one for Xmas. I need one to find my way home every morning and to be able to go to CSM '08.

H20skeefreek
11-16-2007, 06:49 AM
If you guys want to purchase any street-nav GPS, we'll probably run that special that I spoke about above, we've done in the last two years, or this weekend there is an "invitation only" event, where you can take 10% off of retail on any electronics and 20%off of anything else in the store. PM me if you want an invitation.

BrianM
11-16-2007, 08:06 AM
If you guys want to purchase any street-nav GPS, we'll probably run that special that I spoke about above, we've done in the last two years, or this weekend there is an "invitation only" event, where you can take 10% off of retail on any electronics and 20%off of anything else in the store. PM me if you want an invitation.

Except even at 20% off West Marine is still 10% higher than anyone else. I rarely see anything in that store that isn't marked at full MSRP.

milkmania
11-16-2007, 09:27 AM
A friend has a Garmin SP C330 and loves it, so I hear Santa and his Elfs are making me one for Xmas. I need one to find my way home every morning and to be able to go to CSM '08.

does Garmin make a "Bar-hoppin" model yet?
for the times a person gets drunk and needs to find his way home....

it is a joke, I do not condone drinkiing and driving:cool:

TMCNo1
11-16-2007, 09:49 AM
does Garmin make a "Bar-hoppin" model yet?
for the times a person gets drunk and needs to find his way home....

it is a joke, I do not condone drinkiing and driving:cool:

Pre programmed with your address in it, hand it to the cabbie and the voice mode even sounds drunk!:rolleyes: :cool: :D

H20skeefreek
11-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Except even at 20% off West Marine is still 10% higher than anyone else. I rarely see anything in that store that isn't marked at full MSRP.
When was the last time you were in?

Garmin Streetpilot c330 MSRP $349.99
West Marine "only" price: $199.99

Nuvi 200 MSRP $321.41
West Marine "only" price $299.99

What else you wanna know about? These prices are NOT with the additional 10%.

holms
11-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Love my Garmin 660 from gpsdiscount.com
holms

TMCNo1
11-16-2007, 10:21 AM

WOW, cheapest I've found, Tiger Direct for $229.95. How long is the sale on for?

BrianM
11-16-2007, 10:27 AM
When was the last time you were in?

Nuvi 200 MSRP $321.41
West Marine "only" price $299.99

I haven't looked for GPS units there. I was actually in a week or so ago looking for something else. Just as a general rule West Marine is expensive. I do all I can to avoid them actually but sometimes they are the only ones that have something I need.

milkmania
11-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Love my Garmin 660 from gpsdiscount.com
holms

I played around with an active model at Staples the other day.....

quite impressive:twocents:

TMCNo1
11-16-2007, 12:20 PM
I am really beginning to get used to and love the internet, Thanks Guys!
I learn more everyday and all you guys have really helped!

I know, I'm just having one of those moments!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :D :cool:

H20skeefreek
11-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Oh, and Harold, there is a special gift in your package when you get it, you'll have to post a picture with it when you get it. Talk to you tomorrow!

TMCNo1
11-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Oh, and Harold, there is a special gift in your package when you get it, you'll have to post a picture with it when you get it. Talk to you tomorrow!

:uglyhamme Oh no! I can only guess, something I can use for "Ice Fishing"?

TMCNo1
11-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks H20skeefreek! It was a pleasure and a honor doing businees with you and I will recommend you in the future. 1st class service if ya ask me!
I look forward to getting the GPS unit! Thanks again!..................Harold

If you can, send me another West Marine catalogue, all I got is a 2006.

H20skeefreek
11-17-2007, 07:59 PM
No problem Harold, it was a pleasure doing business with you too! For the record, I was not trying to solicit a sale, it just happende to work out.

As far as the catalog, unfortunately I am all out. The 2008 Annual Catalog will come out around February/March. I can have one sent to you if you'd like then (you'll have to remind me), or you can call 1-800-boating, and they'll send you a 2007.

TMCNo1
11-17-2007, 08:13 PM
No problem Harold, it was a pleasure doing business with you too! For the record, I was not trying to solicit a sale, it just happende to work out.

As far as the catalog, unfortunately I am all out. The 2008 Annual Catalog will come out around February/March. I can have one sent to you if you'd like then (you'll have to remind me), or you can call 1-800-boating, and they'll send you a 2007.

This site is for helping each other more than anything and as you say it worked out! I know who to call if I have questions and after the 1st of the year I'll call and get a 2008 catalogue...............thanks again!

TMCNo1
11-20-2007, 07:10 PM
H20skeefreek, got the Garmin C330 GPS today, it's in the van, all programmed and ready to go. Ordered Saturday, shipped Monday, arrived Tuesday (today), wow what service!
Thanks for the gifts, that was unnecessary, I'll wear it with pride!

SkiDog
11-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Just where is it programmed to? You could drive to Cypress gardens, Vonore, and CSM, with your eyes closed! And even stop @ a waffle house or two along the way! Where else is there for you & Lynn to go that YOU would need a GPS for?!:D :confused: :uglyhamme

TMCNo1
11-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Just where is it programmed to? You could drive to Cypress gardens, Vonore, and CSM, with your eyes closed! And even stop @ a waffle house or two along the way! Where else is there for you & Lynn to go that YOU would need a GPS for?!:D :confused: :uglyhamme

One reason is I had to follow you to Mike's house last year, while you used yours.
I'll never tell where we go! We are making a trip this weekend, but if I told, someone might show up just for the spite of it to ruin the trip!

BTW, it's also got trip info program that I can use in the boat for setting the speedos, check top speed, etc., etc.!

SkiDog
11-20-2007, 08:15 PM
One reason is I had to follow you to Mike's house last year, while you used yours.
I'll never tell where we go! We are making a trip this weekend, but if I told, someone might show up just for the spite of it to ruin the trip!

BTW, it's also got trip info program that I can use in the boat for setting the speedos, check top speed, etc., etc.!
Seems to me like we got there OK, didn't we? I just didn't realize that damn road he lives on was sooooooooooooo long! Sometimes GPS don't tell ya that. You'll see. Other times it'll take you around your butt just to get to yer elbow! just remember..... select the 'alternative routes' option!

Leroy
11-20-2007, 08:19 PM
What voice did you use Harold?

TMCNo1
11-20-2007, 08:34 PM
What voice did you use Harold?

Carmen from Southpark!:uglyhamme

Leroy
11-20-2007, 08:45 PM
You are amazing Harold! This one right? He is saying "turn right in 50 yards"

I was thinking of a Jeff Foxwothy voice, wouldn't that be great and he could tell you jokes as you drive along!

Carmen from Southpark!:uglyhamme

TMCNo1
11-20-2007, 09:09 PM
You are amazing Harold! This one right? He is saying "turn right in 50 yards"

I was thinking of a Jeff Foxwothy voice, wouldn't that be great and he could tell you jokes as you drive along!

Your cracking me up!

"You might be a Traveling Redneck if, in .2 miles ya turn at the green El Camino, in .6 miles left at the woman with the shotgun beside the mailbox onto the dirt road to the city dump in 1.9 miles.":D

TMCNo1
11-20-2007, 09:20 PM
:uglyhamme That Carmen pic sure would make you a good avatar!!!!!!!

spanielman50
11-20-2007, 09:36 PM
spent the extra bucks and got the nuvi 650 instead of the 350,
it's a big help to have the gps tell you the name of the street
your turning on if it's a mixed up intersection we love it
and it is great for speedo check i drive for the jumping nationals and always use it for a speedo check on each jump

TMCNo1
11-26-2007, 11:20 PM
We used the Garmin C330 since Thanksgiving Day on a trip to Myrtle Beach, SC. It worked awesome. I even tried to trick it by getting off the route and it recalculated in seconds a new route. It took us there on a route I never knew about that was shorter and took less time. The trip info window is unreal. Simple to use, to say the least! Thanks, H20skeefreek!

H20skeefreek
11-26-2007, 11:24 PM
No problem, glad you are enjoying it.

milkmania
11-26-2007, 11:26 PM
We used the Garmin C330 since Thanksgiving Day on a trip to Myrtle Beach, SC. It worked awesome. I even tried to trick it by getting off the route and it recalculated in seconds a new route. It took us there on a route I never knew about that was shorter and took less time. The trip info window is unreal. Simple to use, to say the least! Thanks, H20skeefreek!
dude, it's way past your bedtime:uglyhamme

I'm really looking at the Garmin 330 they carry at Sam's Club & Staples

I really like the 650 & 660, but pretty spendy

did that thing tell you "turn in 500 feet" or did it tell you to "turn on Elm Street"?

H20skeefreek
11-26-2007, 11:29 PM
the 330 will tell you "turn in x feet". Check out Garmin's website, it will let you compare all of the features of the units you are considering side-by-side.

TMCNo1
11-26-2007, 11:33 PM
dude, it's way past your bedtime:uglyhamme

I'm really looking at the Garmin 330 they carry at Sam's Club & Staples

I really like the 650 & 660, but pretty spendy

did that thing tell you "turn in 500 feet" or did it tell you to "turn on Elm Street"?

It tells you way ahead of a pending turn right/left in 2.0 miles or so, then says "turn right/left in 2 tenths mile", then says "turn right/left", doesn't say street names but the streets/hwy. #'s show up on the screen map depending how close in or out you have the map on the screen. It does show your projected path ahead including exit/entrance ramps on interstate/divided highways. Believe me, if I can use it anyone can!

milkmania
11-26-2007, 11:34 PM
the 330 will tell you "turn in x feet". Check out Garmin's website, it will let you compare all of the features of the units you are considering side-by-side.
what scares me is if I am in a congested area with lots of spaghetti bowls (DALLAS)

is it going to tell me to exit right 500 feet, 400 feet, 300 feet, then merge left to exit in 500 feet, 400 feet, 300 feet, turn NOW dummy!

those spaghetti bowls really piss me off:mad:

http://www.freerangefamily.com/images/Random%20Pics/Spaghetti%20Bowl.jpg

H20skeefreek
11-26-2007, 11:37 PM
In really congested areas, they are all going to be confusing. They will ALL give the street name on the screen though.

milkmania
11-26-2007, 11:39 PM
In really congested areas, they are all going to be confusing. They will ALL give the street name on the screen though.
thanks
also, I noted that it's got programming to get you back on track if I screw it up

I also note that West Marine's Nuvi 660 is the same price as TigerDirect that I posted a while back

good job!

H20skeefreek
11-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Did anyone get in on the West Marine black friday deal? The Nuvi 200w was only $219! That's less than the Nuvi 200! I didn't even find out in advance.

TMCNo1
11-27-2007, 12:20 AM
[quote=milkmania]thanks
also, I noted that it's got programming to get you back on track if I screw it up[quote]

Once you have programmed in any destination you are going to or HOME (always there) in favorites and you have set that destination, it will always recalculate a new path to get you back on track to reach a destination you have set, even if you screw up. If you take another route besides what it recommends, it will accomidate you and recalculate the info for the new route you have taken, even down to your arrival time according to the posted speed limits, then if you drive faster than the speed limit, it will even recalculate your arrival time and miles to your destination.
If you have any questions, give me a call!

atlfootr
11-27-2007, 09:46 AM
My wife is wanting a portable GPS system for Christmas. She wants one that we can change from car to car with voice directions to help my ars get around. It would be great for me to use on business trips. Any suggestions that won't put me in the poor house?

I bought my wife a GARMIN Street Pliot c330 for Christmas the other day on sale at Wal-Mart.
Wished now I picked one up for myself as well, saved about $50 bucks. :D

atlfootr
11-27-2007, 10:00 AM
what scares me is if I am in a congested area with lots of spaghetti bowls (DALLAS)

is it going to tell me to exit right 500 feet, 400 feet, 300 feet, then merge left to exit in 500 feet, 400 feet, 300 feet, turn NOW dummy!

those spaghetti bowls really piss me off:mad:

http://www.freerangefamily.com/images/Random%20Pics/Spaghetti%20Bowl.jpg Use to have to deal w/ this back'n ATLANTA ... :(

NOT ANYMORE :D

atlfootr
12-09-2007, 09:25 PM
A friend has a Garmin SP C330 and loves it, so I hear Santa and his Elfs are making me one for Xmas. I need one to find my way home every morning and to be able to go to CSM '08.Just bought my wife one of these from Wally World 140 bucks!

Can't wait to use it :rolleyes: