PDA

View Full Version : How did I F* up in a prior life?

phecksel
12-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Sometimes the world seems against me....

Latest drama <sigh>. Wife calls me yesterday, apparently someone cut down some very old growth evergreens. They were on my property, near the line. Guy who bought the dump next door to flip it, requested permission to cut the bushes down. We told him no. While nobody was home, somebody cut them down. Police report's been filed, insurance coverage isn't worth the claim, and I'm heartbroken to see those beautiful old bushes cut down. The irony of the whole thing, the guy who bought the house made sure he told my wife how proud of her he was for her doing the "right" thing on city council. Nobody saw a thing, so we have no idea who to pursue.

I'm going to go eat some worms. Maybe even dewinterize the boat and go for a cruise this weekend.

Archimedes
12-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Oh dude this is an easy one. You have so many options, I don't know where to start.

How about, go the dip$hit next door and tell him if he doesn't have them replaced, his prospective buyers are going to be scared off by his crazy neighbor. At the first open house, park your car on your lawn, trim the hegdes in boxers and a bath robe with a beer in your hand, shout expletives like you've got Tourettes, etc., etc.

If he doesn't agree to replace them, go buy a bunch of the cheapest, ugliest bushes you can find and plant em right where the old ones were. Or better yet, get some old, rusty used chain link fencing with the green and white ribbboning in it and put it up where the bushes were. Make sure it's leaning and all. Then attach a car battery to it and hide it in some leaves. Then wait till a$$wipe decides to pull it out.

JimN
12-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Have your wife go in and have the inspector condemn his house? Even if they were technically on his lot (which they weren't), you could probably take that strip through "adverse possession".

Small claims court, baby! He just reduced the "curb appeal" of your house. You enjoyed the shrubbery and there is not only a monetary value to the plants but there's an intrinsic value in having them there. Plus, you now have to look at the nimrod when he's in his yard. I would nail his azz to the wall and he will have the burden of proof when it comes to you saying that he didn't have the right to cut your shrubs down.

If he went onto your property to cut your shrubs, he's a total POS.

Proof that he did it? Look for footprints going to his house or chips in his garage or on the way to it.

TMCNo1
12-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Better yet, encourage him to plant greenery of HIS choosing, then in the middle of the night in the rain, feed them with mineral spirits paint thinner or vegetation killer every time he replants.

Maristar210
12-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Wow Jim and Arch - You guys are brutal !!!

Perhaps you might ask him if he knows who cut them down and share the reasons you wanted them to remain before you fire and ask questions later. JMO but I would use legal action as a last result. Too time consuming and too much BS red tape

Everyone wants to always sue everyone else and the only ones getting rich are the lawyers.:rolleyes:

After all of this is done then perhaps go the TMC#1 route...

Good luck!!!

TMCNo1
12-15-2006, 01:34 PM

Perhaps you might ask him if he knows who cut them down and share the reasons you wanted them to remain before you fire and ask questions later. JMO but I would use legal action as a last result. Too time consuming and too much BS red tape

Everyone wants to always sue everyone else and the only ones getting rich are the lawyers.:rolleyes:

After all of this is done then perhaps go the TMC#1 route...

Good luck!!!

Worked for me! 20 years ago, new bully neighbor threw gasoline thru chain link fence to kill monkey grass, I and the previous neighbor had planted to prevent having to trim along the fence. Then he planted apple trees every 8' against the fence and tied them to it. There never have been any apple pies in the window ledge next door cooling!

chudson
12-15-2006, 02:19 PM
"Vengence is mine sayeth you guys". This is good, I'm taken notes!!!

TMCNo1
12-15-2006, 02:25 PM
:eek: "Vengence is mine sayeth you guys". This is good, I'm taken notes!!!

We are just like Barney, to Protect and to Serve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

dog paw
12-15-2006, 02:32 PM
I would get more satisfaction out of dealing with it "old school" but I'm sure if he is trying to renovate you could make his life hell over permits, property lines and so on. It would be a shame if you found out the house or out building was to close to your prop line LOL! Smile when he asks you for a variance.

Archimedes
12-15-2006, 03:00 PM

Perhaps you might ask him if he knows who cut them down and share the reasons you wanted them to remain before you fire and ask questions later.

Of course I'd ask, but what are the chances the someone else just randomly decided to cut down the bushes? Who would have any interest in that other than the people on each side of the property line? It was most assuredly the neighbor or someone he instructed to do it. The only other possible explanation would be the power company maybe to clear powerlines, but a) he would likely have been the one who called to report it, and b) the power company typically notifies the homeowner beforehand, unless it's not over a common area like a street.

If there are power lines around the bushes, it might have been the power company and he's just not telling you he's the one who called.

Or it could be the fabled Vampire Gardener, Count Sanchez, that comes only in the night...

Tennesseeski
12-15-2006, 04:12 PM
I just hope the wiring in his flip house is good. Houses catch fire alot due to faulty wiring and those sort of things.

milkmania
12-15-2006, 05:16 PM
find a buddy that owns a warehouse.... or the like

get a bunch of pallets(borrow), and build a "pallet fence" on your side of the property line

don't bother tearing the pallets apart, just tie them all together8p

JimN
12-15-2006, 05:26 PM
But the fence has to be put up with the "good side out".

TMC- any chemicals would be detectable so that's out.

chudson- "Vengence is mine sayeth you guys". This is good, I'm taken notes!!!"

Pfffft! We haven't even gotten started.

"Hey- how did all that Frisbee get duct taped over the flue cap?"

TMCNo1
12-15-2006, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=JimN]
TMC- any chemicals would be detectable so that's out. QUOTE]

He can always overfertilize the greenery when he plants them, can't he? A 50lb bag of Ammonium Nitrate goes a long way!
Well then there is always the wind factor!
How can the wind keep blowing these plants over?
It's a matter of keeping him busy, setting them up, replanting, tieing them up, replanting them!
If you are not allergic to poison oak/ivy, find out if he is, plants some at the base of all the new greenery!

I could go on and on!

phecksel
12-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the responses

Nobody saw him do it, so lawsuit is probably waste of my time
He has millions, and a lot of it has come from suing other poeple
The house is condemed, which is why he thinks he got it for a steal, but is in the process of renovating, and will make a profit, at the extreme expense of my value.
There is no grass in the yard {see condemed note}
The building department is keeping a close eye on the renovations, and several times has issued stop work permits and leveled fines.

The truly sad part, the family of the old guy that lived there, never came to see him. We did a lot for him, never anticipated his spoiled brat children would tie his estate up for almost two years fighting each other. The building inspector was a total F* up, and mishandled the city's end of the house, so it was never properly dealt with. I don't know how much his estate was worth, but have a suspicion he was quite wealthy.

I talked to one of the heirs early on, and they wanted a rediculous amount of money, for a house that in my opinion needed to be torn down. Didn't make sense for me to spend the kind of money they were asking, because it wouldn't add enough value to my property to cover the purchase price.

Carbon Dreams
12-15-2006, 09:43 PM
SUPERSOAKER + WEED-BE-GONE + GOOD AIM = YARD HIEROGLYPHICS

Seriously man, all will come around to him in the end. Sucks for you, though. Pop a beer and smile about his future forked horn torture coming his way.

Bobbyk
12-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Sounds like the renovation in general is a pain because the guy is a piece of work. Hopefully the new buyers will be good neighbors and appreciate living next to decent folks and you will be able to enjoy your home again.

tex
12-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Oh dude this is an easy one. You have so many options, I don't know where to start.

How about, go the dip$hit next door and tell him if he doesn't have them replaced, his prospective buyers are going to be scared off by his crazy neighbor. At the first open house, park your car on your lawn, trim the hegdes in boxers and a bath robe with a beer in your hand, shout expletives like you've got Tourettes, etc., etc.

If he doesn't agree to replace them, go buy a bunch of the cheapest, ugliest bushes you can find and plant em right where the old ones were. Or better yet, get some old, rusty used chain link fencing with the green and white ribbboning in it and put it up where the bushes were. Make sure it's leaning and all. Then attach a car battery to it and hide it in some leaves. Then wait till a$$wipe decides to pull it out.
I wanna party with you!

rem_pss308
12-16-2006, 02:52 AM
Sprayer full of Round up.

Late at night, you spray his yard. But only in block letters spelling "*******"

TMCNo1
12-16-2006, 08:43 AM

Late at night, you spray his yard. But only in block letters spelling "A--hole"

Easy there, the moderators batteries are fully charged,

SkiDog
12-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Please post a picture of this fine dwelling! Also make it where we can see exactly what this guy did with your plants. I've got some good ideas, but I need a little more vision before I tell you my plans!:D

TMCNo1
12-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Please post a picture of this fine dwelling! Also make it where we can see exactly what this guy did with your plants. I've got some good ideas, but I need a little more vision before I tell you my plans!:D

Darned peeping toms!

TX.X-30 fan
12-16-2006, 12:01 PM

Late at night, you spray his yard. But only in block letters spelling "*******"

I would use fertilizer, it will have the same result and no on gets in much trouble for fertilizing a neighbors yard. :D :D

Ric
03-21-2007, 06:13 PM
whatever happened with the neighbor?

Thanks for all the responses

Nobody saw him do it, so lawsuit is probably waste of my time
He has millions, and a lot of it has come from suing other poeple
The house is condemed, which is why he thinks he got it for a steal, but is in the process of renovating, and will make a profit, at the extreme expense of my value.
There is no grass in the yard {see condemed note}
The building department is keeping a close eye on the renovations, and several times has issued stop work permits and leveled fines.

The truly sad part, the family of the old guy that lived there, never came to see him. We did a lot for him, never anticipated his spoiled brat children would tie his estate up for almost two years fighting each other. The building inspector was a total F* up, and mishandled the city's end of the house, so it was never properly dealt with. I don't know how much his estate was worth, but have a suspicion he was quite wealthy.

I talked to one of the heirs early on, and they wanted a rediculous amount of money, for a house that in my opinion needed to be torn down. Didn't make sense for me to spend the kind of money they were asking, because it wouldn't add enough value to my property to cover the purchase price.

phecksel
03-21-2007, 10:08 PM
whatever happened with the neighbor?

We haven't followed up beyond talking to our attorney. The property has a stop work order, due to an unstated dispute between the owner and building official

richardsoncd
03-22-2007, 09:18 AM
Temporarily paint that side of the house hot pink and line the property line with Flamingos, then go get one of those fancy motion cameras hunters use, mount it and when he comes over to remove the flamingos you have him on theft, trespassing, etc......tell him when he replaces your bushes, you'll remove the flamingos and repaint the house. There are two house in Atlanta, both is historic districts, both very "expensive", one has been painted bright yellow with palm trees, the other orange and blue with barn yard animals in the back yard....both responses to local zoning ordinances....it works, trust me I am a development consultant.

TX.X-30 fan
03-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Temporarily paint that side of the house hot pink and line the property line with Flamingos, then go get one of those fancy motion cameras hunters use, mount it and when he comes over to remove the flamingos you have him on theft, trespassing, etc......tell him when he replaces your bushes, you'll remove the flamingos and repaint the house. There are two house in Atlanta, both is historic districts, both very "expensive", one has been painted bright yellow with palm trees, the other orange and blue with barn yard animals in the back yard....both responses to local zoning ordinances....it works, trust me I am a development consultant.

PICS PLEASEEEEEE!!!!

Naste Craft
03-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Better yet, encourage him to plant greenery of HIS choosing, then in the middle of the night in the rain, feed them with mineral spirits paint thinner or vegetation killer every time he replants.

......Also go but a big bag of salt and and draw / write something obscene in his grass and a few days it will kill the grass and leave behind what ever you you did...He will have no choice but to replace the grass if he wants to sell the house....

JohnE
03-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Since the guy next door asked for permission to trim the shrubs, I'd think there is enough circumstantial evidence to indicate that he or his agent cut the bushes.

I would insist that he replace them to your satisfaction. If he refuses, I would think you could go to court and get a judgement in your favor. Then I would think you could lein the property until everything were resolved. If this could all play out, it is a lot of time spent anyway. I don't know, but there has to be some recourse for this.

3event
03-22-2007, 05:54 PM
or you could try what this guy did....
http://www.snopes.com/photos/risque/ventcover.asp