PDA

View Full Version : New Federal req's for registration

auburn buck
12-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Has anyone else experienced receipt of notice from their Motor Vehicle Deparment notifying you of the federal requirement to eliminate certain letters from boat registrations?

The CA DMV just told me I have to change my reg numbers on my Maristar...which I assume means I will have to rip off the old ones and put on new ones when I receive my updated registration.

Any expereience out there in changing out reg numbers? Would this be a good time to go with something a little more "swoopy" in lettering styles?

Sodar
12-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Has anyone else experienced receipt of notice from their Motor Vehicle Deparment notifying you of the federal requirement to eliminate certain letters from boat registrations?

The CA DMV just told me I have to change my reg numbers on my Maristar...which I assume means I will have to rip off the old ones and put on new ones when I receive my updated registration.

Any expereience out there in changing out reg numbers? Would this be a good time to go with something a little more "swoopy" in lettering styles?
I too got this... something with numbers and letter looking to similar

slink976
12-14-2006, 04:43 PM
I haven't got anything like this yet. But I kinda wish I do. I jacked up my letters while I was putting them on this will ensure my lazy but does it finally.

sanjuan23
12-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Slink you're about ready to change those numbers to Texas Registration numbers pretty soon anyhow.
Just make sure you use a contrasting (stand out) color to the hull.

slink976
12-14-2006, 04:46 PM
yeah thats an good point!

Ric
12-14-2006, 04:52 PM
seems like I just installed the domed numbers, now I may have to change them???? I received no letter.. Maybe T and X don't look too much alike ??

BrianM
12-14-2006, 05:47 PM
They can send me the letter and then a new registration number and for me the boat will look the same. Ain't puttin no stinking numbers on my boat.

Sodar
12-14-2006, 05:51 PM
They can send me the letter and then a new registration mumber and for me the boat will look the same. Ain't puttin no stinking numbers on my boat.

Boy is that the truth!! On my next boat, I ain't doing it!!

BrianM
12-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Boy is that the truth!! On my next boat, I ain't doing it!!

If I was still living in Kalifornia I probably would. Around here nobody seems to care.

Ric
12-14-2006, 05:59 PM
I went for a long while with no numbers but taking the kids out to public lakes, I went and sprung for the purdy letters

Jerseydave
12-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Can't get away with no numbers here in NJ, unless you get your vesel documented.

TMCNo1
12-15-2006, 08:46 AM
In our area of NC if you have a boat registered and do not place the registration numbers on the boat, the Wildlife will ticket you and it will cost you $130 fine + cost of court. A Wildlife officer issued 3 tickets last summer as boaters took their boats out of the water while we were wiping down in the tiedown area. He told me he had issued 17 tickets ($80fine+coc) that Saturday alone at the ramp for cars/truck parking in towrig spaces without trailers (they have a designated area), parking in "No Parking" areas, parking in the tie down area. The NC Highway Patrol was issuing tickets for towrigs parking outside the ramp out on the highway in a "No Parking" area. Yes, they are tough!

Sodar
12-15-2006, 09:14 AM
If I was still living in Kalifornia I probably would. Around here nobody seems to care.

I am on a private lake, so the only people who could say something would be the POA. We have never had numbers on any of our ocean boats. We would just carried one of those plastic registration placards with vinyl numbers on it and showed them to the cops. They were usually fine with it and would just run us through the whole "how many lifejackets", "do you have a fire extinguisher", "can i see your registration" process!!

WTRSK1R
12-15-2006, 09:48 AM
When I had my first boat, I was stopped 3 times when I first bought it because the registration was not on the boat yet. I had all the paperwork, and the only issue was the hassle of dealing with the life jacket drill. those 3 stops took place in about a 6 week period it took to get the registration numbers back from the WI DNR. Thankfully, when I bought my current boat I was not stopped all summer. The registration process got screwed up, and it took the entire summer to get it back. In fact, I actually received the registration in the mail after the boat was winterized.

I think the only reason I was able to do that is cause the boat looked so pretty they knew it was new.

Steve