PDA

View Full Version : Thule luggage rack

bcampbe7
12-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Anyone have a Thule Terrapin or something similar?

I am thinking about getting one for our trip to Iowa over Christmas but wasn't sure about it's ruggedness.

Thule Terrapin (http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=11&sku=684)

I am also not sure if it will fit on our vehicle since the spare tire hangs off the back.

bcampbe7
12-13-2006, 10:02 PM
or this one....

Rola luggage carrier (http://www.amazon.com/DPS59109-Rola-Adventure-Swing-System/dp/B000IX61P2)

Monte
12-13-2006, 10:11 PM
My vote would be Thule. I've never been up close to the luggage carrier, but their racks are def durable.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
12-13-2006, 10:33 PM
I've got a Thule roof carrier that works well....loading and unloading can be a bit awkward. It is a well built unit that locks up solid and tight.

You could put an extension on your reciever hitch to move the carrier out past the spare if you like the rear mounted model.

Anyone have a Thule Terrapin or something similar?

I am thinking about getting one for our trip to Iowa over Christmas but wasn't sure about it's ruggedness.

Thule Terrapin (http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=11&sku=684)

I am also not sure if it will fit on our vehicle since the spare tire hangs off the back.

BriEOD
12-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Need a bit more room for a stroller, swing, pack 'n' play, bath stuff, diapers, bottles, clothes, medicine...oh and don't forget about your and Wendy's stuff.:D

bcampbe7
12-13-2006, 10:57 PM
I've got a Thule roof carrier that works well....loading and unloading can be a bit awkward. It is a well built unit that locks up solid and tight.

You could put an extension on your reciever hitch to move the carrier out past the spare if you like the rear mounted model.

Yeah, I am leaning towards the hitch mount system because I just don't want to mount a cargo box on the roof.

Need a bit more room for a stroller, swing, pack 'n' play, bath stuff, diapers, bottles, clothes, medicine...oh and don't forget about your and Wendy's stuff.

It's complicated... :D

We don't have to take any of that stuff! My Mom bought everything that we need. :cool:

Our dog is going with us. She normally rides in the back seat, but now Parker and Wendy sit there. The only place she will fit is in the rear. We need a place to put some of our luggage so she has a bit of room.

Why not board her you might ask... Well we are going to be in Iowa for 2 weeks and boarding for that long is pricey.

Reason # 2... The Rola system doubles as a huge cooler! :cool:

Leroy
12-13-2006, 11:08 PM
That is nice looking, but I dislike the systems that block the rear door. I've used a top carrier several times and really like them.

bcampbe7
12-13-2006, 11:15 PM
That is nice looking, but I dislike the systems that block the rear door. I've used a top carrier several times and really like them.

This one swings away so the rear door can be used.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Rear rack as mentioned, Thule is the way..

Roof tops = Yakima

Sodar
12-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Does anyone know about the roof top carriers that are color matched to the car? I wanted to get one, but can not seem to find any info. I would like to find a place that sells them in bare plastic form, so I could color match it myself, or someone that sells color matched carriers.

Thanks!

Workin' 4 Toys
12-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Sodar, while I wouldn't think painting the shell would be a bad idea.....And is possible.....

Yakima does not recommend painting your box. If you decide to play Picasso and paint your box, any Yakima warranty will be void.
Yakima Q&A (http://yakima.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/yakima.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=40&p_created=1161387648&p_sid=SLRtp6pi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfc m93X2NudD02NiZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y 9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wY WdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1)

Sodar
12-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Sodar, while I wouldn't think painting the shell would be a bad idea.....And is possible.....

Yakima Q&A (http://yakima.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/yakima.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=40&p_created=1161387648&p_sid=SLRtp6pi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfc m93X2NudD02NiZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y 9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wY WdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1)

Am I completely off to think that I have seen them out there?? Maybe I have just seen generic colors that match well...

Workin' 4 Toys
12-14-2006, 10:10 AM
Am I completely off to think that I have seen them out there?? Maybe I have just seen generic colors that match well...
Uhhh..Maybe it was on a BLACK car....:rolleyes: J/K.....

I do think I have seen some color coordinated units on top of subarus...Not sure if that is a brand specific to them, but that is where I "think" I have seen them too....Then again, I think Yakima has a "best" unit that is not black, and may coordinate well with some vehicle colors... Just a thought...

bcampbe7
12-14-2006, 10:12 AM
I just found out that Rola bought Thule...
Can anyone confirm this?

ttu
12-14-2006, 10:17 AM
sodar, i have also seen a few of them painted.

i have a thule roof box that has been great. holds ski, boards and many other items.

i do use the yakima ski rack and bar system

both work together great

ttu
12-14-2006, 10:17 AM
sodar, i have also seen a few of them painted.

i have a thule roof box that has been great. holds ski, boards and many other items.

i do use the yakima ski rack and bar system

both work together great

sorry double post.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-14-2006, 10:19 AM
I just found out that Rola bought Thule...
Can anyone confirm this?
No confirmation here....But...;)

jimmer2880
12-14-2006, 11:20 AM
A buddy of mine owns this shop

http://www.truck-tool-box.com/

All of his stuff is bullet-proof. I have both a truck bed box & a hitch rack (actually, that's my Jeep on the web page).

I can't say enough about the quality.

Datdude
12-14-2006, 01:52 PM
I have always been sketchy on those roof top carriers. When I was a kid, my friend's mom was taking us to hockey camp in her station wagon. She had a roof mounted carrier and it blew open on I-94. We watched my buddies hockey bag blow off the roof and skid down the highway before it was almost run over by a semi. Luckily he stopped in time and blocked the lane so we could pick it up. Pretty funny looking back....especially since it was not my bag:D

Workin' 4 Toys
12-14-2006, 05:39 PM
I have always been sketchy on those roof top carriers. When I was a kid, my friend's mom was taking us to hockey camp in her station wagon. She had a roof mounted carrier and it blew open on I-94. We watched my buddies hockey bag blow off the roof and skid down the highway before it was almost run over by a semi. Luckily he stopped in time and blocked the lane so we could pick it up. Pretty funny looking back....especially since it was not my bag:D
I've had a friends do that to, back when they used to look like Bigmac containers. I think he forgot to latch it closed... Rollin down the expressway and "poof" clothes EVERYWHERE....Yup, I ran over a few pieces myself.:o

bcampbe7
12-14-2006, 05:42 PM
I had a snowboard blow off the roof on my way out of Denver, headed to Vail. I am a bit leary to put anything on the roof again.

I bought the Rola Adventure swing away unit today. It is 13.5 cu ft and is rated for 250lbs. The Thule is 13 cu ft and is rated for 150. I also read some reviews that said it is a bit tricky to get the full space out of the Thule because of the way the lid slants.

Should be here next week! :cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
12-14-2006, 05:49 PM
I had a snowboard blow off the roof on my way out of Denver, headed to Vail. I am a bit leary to put anything on the roof again.

I bought the Rola Adventure swing away unit today. It is 13.5 cu ft and is rated for 250lbs. The Thule is 13 cu ft and is rated for 150. I also read some reviews that said it is a bit tricky to get the full space out of the Thule because of the way the lid slants.

Should be here next week! :cool:
Ok, I have to ask....Maybe you know. Is the Thule rated at 150 in the "OPEN/Extended" and the Rola rated at the 250 "Closed"....I can't see 250# being ok in the extended position.....:confused:

bcampbe7
12-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Ok, I have to ask....Maybe you know. Is the Thule rated at 150 in the "OPEN/Extended" and the Rola rated at the 250 "Closed"....I can't see 250# being ok in the extended position.....:confused:

I think it is both closed...

Hoosier Bob
12-14-2006, 08:26 PM
I would go with a hitch/tray and a Thule Bag. The tray can be used for anything It is flat so it stores well and the bag will store just as easily. I believe it can hold around 350 lbs is you like riding wheelies.:D
Take care Beau,
HB

Workin' 4 Toys
12-15-2006, 12:28 AM
I would go with a hitch/tray and a Thule Bag. The tray can be used for anything It is flat so it stores well and the bag will store just as easily. I believe it can hold around 350 lbs is you like riding wheelies.:D
Take care Beau,
HB
Well, it's nothing new here. HB chimes in with his infinite wisdom AFTER the purchase....
Beau says thanks for nothin smackstick....

Archimedes
12-15-2006, 01:58 AM
Rear rack as mentioned, Thule is the way..

Roof tops = Yakima

Tru Dat. I bought a Thule roof cargo box and it was a total POS. Returned it and got a top of the line Yakima for less money and it was night and day difference. The Thule was garbagio. The Yakima was fantastic. Much better design and much, much sturdier.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Tru Dat. I bought a Thule roof cargo box and it was a total POS. Returned it and got a top of the line Yakima for less money and it was night and day difference. The Thule was garbagio. The Yakima was fantastic. Much better design and much, much sturdier.
I'm glad to see we agree....;)

bcampbe7
12-19-2006, 11:24 PM

I think it is both closed...

I was wrong...
I emailed Rola and they said that it is rated for 250 pounds in either position. :cool:

Too bad it doesn't fit on the Land Rover. :mad: It came in today and when I tried to install it it hits the bumper. I am going to take it to a metal fab shop tomorrow to see if they can modify it so that it will work on my vehicle. Should be pretty easy for someone that knows how to weld.

Hoosier Bob
12-19-2006, 11:29 PM
That was because I knew it would not fit! Who is the SMACKSTICK now? I will be in Chicago next Friday so if you don't want 200 lbs of Hoosier Whoopin' SHUT YOUR TRAP!8p
OK, more like 180!:D
Well, it's nothing new here. HB chimes in with his infinite wisdom AFTER the purchase....
Beau says thanks for nothin smackstick....

bcampbe7
12-19-2006, 11:33 PM
That was because I knew it would not fit! Who is the SMACKSTICK now? I will be in Chicago next Friday so if you don't want 200 lbs of Hoosier Whoopin' SHUT YOUR TRAP!8p

It is gonna fit sooner or later!

180??? Who are you trying to fool?

tex
12-19-2006, 11:35 PM
I have a Thule crap rack and love it.

Hoosier Bob
12-19-2006, 11:36 PM
One foot my brother, one foot!

Workin' 4 Toys
12-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Bring it on..........I replied to your private intimate message
....Merry Christmas to you too...