PDA

View Full Version : To Replace or not to replace

Friday
12-13-2006, 07:29 PM
In the middle of restoring a 83 S+S this winter. It doesn't have wood stringers, but one of my concerns is the steel bracket/cradle that the engine mounts sit on (these attach the motor and motor mounts to the stringer system) have rusted pretty badly. We pulled the engine and related bracket system and had it sand blasted. You can definitely see where the rust was at... metal is thinner and badly pitted. A couple of people that really don't know much about boats said to just paint and reattach. I have looked into breaking a 1/4" piece of steel which is doable, but expensive and may not be needed?? Another concern is getting the new bracket to allow correct engine/drivetrain reallignment. Help! Any thoughts on this...

Thanks

H20skeefreek
12-13-2006, 08:19 PM
I agree, paint and reattach. From that picture, it doesn't look too bad.

Footin
12-13-2006, 08:27 PM
I also vote to paint and reinstall.

dog paw
12-13-2006, 08:28 PM
I agree, paint and reattach. From that picture, it doesn't look too bad.

That would be my take also. On a side note how do the rubber bushings on the engine mounts look. If I could stumble across some new ones I would replace mine on my 84 S+S They seem to flatten out with age and the bell housing is getting pretty close to the hull.

Slinkyredfoot
12-13-2006, 08:31 PM
Yea, those mounts seem to be pretty stout, mine are:D A good engine guy can look at them and reassure you if you are freakin...Hey,what is just another couple of C-notes when it comes to taking care of a good older Master Craft anyway?